"A Healthy Addiction"

dandude5007

So runescape save people from drugs and gangs? Amazing! :P

Even though some people get bored from playing this its much better than going to jail

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, so that would explain a lot about our society concerning sex... :|

Also, I've never heard those numbers concerning protection before. It was a lot less effective from what I've heard. My opinion on marriage comes from the Bible, but I would need a different subject to discuss that (to keep from hijacking the thread).

Concerning the dichotomy:

I suppose your argument makes sense, but the problem is that the way you present it, it seems that everybody carries the will and power to control moderation. Admittedly, alcohol and sex can be beneficial, but the problem is that we see many people who fall straight into them and like ruin their lives and crud.

Of course, maybe it's just connotation gained from society and junk that those are worse than games, but with only three examples of potential harm and benefit, I'm not going to argue too much about a difference between "can harm/can't harm".

Oh, and I never said that sex is easy to go without, lol. I realize that it's a part of the pyramid because I've seen it before.

Truthscape - qeltar's excellent insights into RuneScape and more

Cave Story - Best Free RPG ever

-Retired. Forever-

Oh, so that would explain a lot about our society concerning sex... :|

Also, I've never heard those numbers concerning protection before. It was a lot less effective from what I've heard. My opinion on marriage comes from the Bible, but I would need a different subject to discuss that (to keep from hijacking the thread).

Well, if we tried to argue this we'd get nowhere, and it would become very non-Runescape, so I think we can drop it :P .

Concerning the dichotomy:

I suppose your argument makes sense, but the problem is that the way you present it, it seems that everybody carries the will and power to control moderation. Admittedly, alcohol and sex can be beneficial, but the problem is that we see many people who fall straight into them and like ruin their lives and crud.

And why don't people carry the will and power to stay in moderation :-s ?

As for your points, I agree with you. I'm not arguing for the people who live their life off sex and do it irresponsibly, nor am I arguing for the morons who get stoned every night and don't have the common sense to not drink and drive. I'm arguing for moderation and responsibility in those two categories, because I'm arguing parallel to playing Runescape responsibly.

Addiction to Runescape, bad.

Addiction to alcohol, bad.

Addiction to sex, bad.

Runescape in moderation (and responsibly), good.

Alcohol in moderation (and responsibly), good.

Sex in moderation (and responsibly), good.

Oh, and stories about drunk escapades and drivers (especially celebs... ack) and sex sell much better in the media than a story about some loser who became addicted to Runescape, so there's a slight observer bias in quantity towards which one "ruins people's lives and crud" :wink: .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

How shall I chop you up this time?

Ah, I know!

<*Scuttles Rebdragon through a cheese-grater suddenly... again...*>

<*Scuttles Rebdragon through a cheese-grater suddenly...*>

Okay, some things I can tolerate. But anyone saying alcohol is okay, even in moderation, needs to re-think their life. <.< (I really wonder just how many brain cells you've lost already, seeing as alcohol kills them. :-k ...)

I will only drink alcohol when I'm ready to lose my gaming hands and their capabilities, and no sooner. The only reason I still have them is because I don't drink. :shame:

DRUG-FREE FTW!!! :thumbsup:

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

All right, why do you think alcohol is bad/evil? No offense, but other than mommy telling you it's bad, what problems do you have with someone drinking responsibly and in moderation? Sorry, I can't really respond properly until I hear your full perspective on the issue. I.e., I can't counterargue until I know what I'm arguing against :P .

Put simply, the one time in my life I have had any alchohol, and it was by accident, I wasn't able to play well at any games for about a month. It took me a month after to finish re-tuning. That was about 8 years ago. I ain't doing that again. Scared me right out of alcohol. :|

Also, if you're willing to answer this, how old are you?

Yeah, I'll answer it. I'm 24 years old. Not sure, but I think I posted my birthdate in my profile on Tip.It's forums... Nope, apparently we can't, field not available... -.-

[Final Post Scriptum: When did I ever talk about drugs, and thus, why did you make a gargantuan anti-drug statement when I didn't even mention the issue?]

Did you ever realize that alcohol is a type of drug? Or for that matter, the hormonal rush from sex? If you haven't, you need to.

(Single-ness and no alcohol as a straight guy FTW. Who needs either one anyway? LOL :lol: ...)

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Put simply, the one time in my life I have had any alchohol, and it was by accident, I wasn't able to play well at any games for about a month. It took me a month after to finish re-tuning. That was about 8 years ago. I ain't doing that again. Scared me right out of alcohol. :|

So, you're whole basis of whether consuming alcohol at all is based on one experience?

Err, not a very legit way to prove a case, let alone make a life decision on. Especially considering that the alcohol wouldn't be in your system for that long :-s . Maybe you just had a bad gaming-streak or something :lol: ? That, and you're basing your decision that "alcohol is evil" off of "it makez m3 play games l3ss g00d"?

Yeah, I'll answer it. I'm 24 years old. Not sure, but I think I posted my birthdate in my profile on Tip.It's forums... Nope, apparently we can't, field not available... -.-

'kay, that's surprising to say the least :-k .

[Final Post Scriptum: When did I ever talk about drugs, and thus, why did you make a gargantuan anti-drug statement when I didn't even mention the issue?]

Did you ever realize that alcohol is a type of drug? Or for that matter, the hormonal rush from sex? If you haven't, you need to.

(Single-ness and no alcohol as a straight guy FTW. Who needs either one anyway? LOL :lol: ...)

~Mr. Devnull

So, your stance is that both sex and alcohol are bad? What exactly is the point you're making about the "hormonal rush" from sex, anyways? And did you know that part of that hormonal rush releases chemicals that have been scientifically proven to bring a couple closer together in their relationship?

And let me guess. You're a virgin, and you've only had alcohol once in your entire life?

I don't think Runescape prevents drugs, alchohol, etc. They can both be done.

And whether this is healthy or not can be argued, it depends on your definition of healthy. I mean, the common perception of all computer games are that they are bad, and people over 13 shouldn't be playing them. But that's just an image, people who think that never experience it.

I don't think my runescape "addiction" is healthy, or directly preventing me from bad influences, but I don't think it's an unhealthy addiction either.

snowsigyy7.png

I didnt read it all but from what you've said you got a point after I quit I became more popular in a sense was more happier

Also got arrested and did alot of stupid things but also had a experience

Runescape is a bad addiction in alot of ways it wastes alot of your life

but you really dont get into trouble but you kind of spend your teenage years doing nothing

Its kind of a lose lose situation

<*Runs Rebdragon through a cheese-grater one last time...*>

So, you're whole basis of whether consuming alcohol at all is based on one experience?

Err, not a very legit way to prove a case, let alone make a life decision on. Especially considering that the alcohol wouldn't be in your system for that long :-s . Maybe you just had a bad gaming-streak or something :lol: ? That, and you're basing your decision that "alcohol is evil" off of "it makez m3 play games l3ss g00d"?

Dude, if it messed me up for one or two days, that would be one thing. But two [bleep]ing months? Sorry, but it makes your counter-argument fall apart here, seeing as it screwed me over pretty damn well. That was the only time I was messed over so badly.

~Mr. Devnull

So, your stance is that both sex and alcohol are bad? What exactly is the point you're making about the "hormonal rush" from sex, anyways? And did you know that part of that hormonal rush releases chemicals that have been scientifically proven to bring a couple closer together in their relationship?

I'm just gonna laugh here. :lol: ... Why, you ask? I have actually heard of couples that get along perfectly fine, and they've never done 'it'. Again, argument shot down (and in flames)... :?

And let me guess. You're a virgin, and you've only had alcohol once in your entire life?

Virgin, yes, and plenty of mind energy spare due to it, part of why I game so damn well. Alcohol, like noted above, yes.

BTW, have I sliced you into mini-size spaghetti strips enough? Hmm, don't answer that, I've already turned you into short bits of spaghetti with that cheese-grater. :lol:

~Mr. Devnull

(p.s.: I dunno why, but before I saw this reply from you, I was having this "House"-related nightmare in regard to a doctors' conference on a space trip. Maybe it has something to do with the headache you're giving me.)

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Dude, if it messed me up for one or two days, that would be one thing. But two [bleep]ing months? Sorry, but it makes your counter-argument fall apart here, seeing as it screwed me over pretty damn well. That was the only time I was messed over so badly.

My counterargument is that it would not be possible for the alcohol to mess you up for two entire months. You would have digested it and dispelled it from your system long before then. It was either something psychological, or some other physical reason, but you weren't being affected by a glass of wine you had two months ago.

If you said it completely messed you of for one or two days, I could see why you wouldn't like having all that much alcohol, if any (though I would disagree with that choice nonetheless). But telling me that you were affected by the alcohol for two whole months? Sorry, I find that hard to believe. Are you sure you weren't just thinking about the alcohol a lot, or were you possibly [mildly?] sick for an extended period of time? I'm telling you dude, it wasn't the alcohol, at least not after the first day or two.

I'm just gonna laugh here. :lol: ... Why, you ask? I have actually heard of couples that get along perfectly fine, and they've never done 'it'. Again, argument shot down (and in flames)... :?

But that argument doesn't have anything to do with the debate at hand. I'm arguing that there is nothing wrong with moderate sex, not that a couple has to do it all the time [even my hormonal point- I was giving an example of how sex brings a couple closer together, not how it's a necessity for any one couple to have]. Especially a couple that has only been together for a short period of time; I'm all for the "sex only with those you truly love" thing.

On that note, how exactly are you sure that they havn't done it :wink: ?

Virgin, yes, and plenty of mind energy spare due to it, part of why I game so damn well. Alcohol, like noted above, yes.

"Mind energy"? Expound por favor :-s .

And as a side-note, I don't have anything against you being a virgin- I'm a seventeen year old virgin myself. What I have a problem with is denouncing something before you ever experience or ever try to truly understand it, kay?

BTW, have I sliced you into mini-size spaghetti strips enough? Hmm, don't answer that, I've already turned you into short bits of spaghetti with that cheese-grater. :lol:

~Mr. Devnull

(p.s.: I dunno why, but before I saw this reply from you, I was having this "House"-related nightmare in regard to a doctors' conference on a space trip. Maybe it has something to do with the headache you're giving me.)

D_V, chill with the random insults please. Not to be condescending, but we be mature about this debate, no?

My counterargument is that it would not be possible for the alcohol to mess you up for two entire months. You would have digested it and dispelled it from your system long before then. It was either something psychological, or some other physical reason, but you weren't being affected by a glass of wine you had two months ago.

If you said it completely messed you of for one or two days, I could see why you wouldn't like having all that much alcohol, if any (though I would disagree with that choice nonetheless). But telling me that you were affected by the alcohol for two whole months? Sorry, I find that hard to believe. Are you sure you weren't just thinking about the alcohol a lot, or were you possibly [mildly?] sick for an extended period of time? I'm telling you dude, it wasn't the alcohol, at least not after the first day or two.

Since I specifically remember I was not sick at any time for the two months after, I know it was the alcohol. Case closed.

But that argument doesn't have anything to do with the debate at hand. I'm arguing that there is nothing wrong with moderate sex, not that a couple has to do it all the time [even my hormonal point- I was giving an example of how sex brings a couple closer together, not how it's a necessity for any one couple to have]. Especially a couple that has only been together for a short period of time; I'm all for the "sex only with those you truly love" thing.

On that note, how exactly are you sure that they havn't done it :wink: ?

The couple in question laid it out to me verbally and told me their relationship would have died had the husband ever wanted sex with the wife. Literally, the lady didn't want kids. Again, Case closed.

"Mind energy"? Expound por favor :-s .

As in all that metaphysical energy the mind has for one thing or another. I got to put it to far better use, instead of, in my case, having it ruined and drained by having sex. (I've had the sad situation of girls across the web trying to screw with my mind in a sexually-related manner, and it ripped off internal seals that it took 2 to 3 years to reset. Not fun. Also was down a lot of my mind power during that time, hated it too. :cry: ... I personally can't take being depressed like most humans can.)

And as a side-note, I don't have anything against you being a virgin- I'm a seventeen year old virgin myself. What I have a problem with is denouncing something before you ever experience or ever try to truly understand it, kay?

Not disagreeing with you on this part. Sadly, I've had a good chance and then some to understand it. :(

~Mr. Devnull

D_V, chill with the random insults please. Not to be condescending, but we be mature about this debate, no?

Yeah, we need to be mature about it. :) ... I guess I just hit an upper limit internally on how burned out I can get in a day. <.<

~Mr. Devnull

Well, I guess that's a fair argument, Reb.

I say that people lack will power because I always hear of those that just do it "one time" or "just a little", then spiral into full-on addiction. Ya know what I'm talking about, right? Oh, I'm sure that some have will power like no-lifers going for 99's, but that's a completely different type of people.

Also:

RuneScape in moderation = good

Alcohol in moderation (doesn't it harm development until a certain age?) = good

Sex...I see what you're saying and would agree but for my view on it

I guess I mostly agree with you on moderation then. See, the small problem I have is that I believe that you shouldn't experience things such as drugs, that sex should come after marriage, etc., but as you and I have agreed, that would get us nowhere. So I'm just letting you know what I'm seeing in your statements.

Truthscape - qeltar's excellent insights into RuneScape and more

Cave Story - Best Free RPG ever

-Retired. Forever-

as i once wrote,ever since i play RS:

- I sleep less

- I drink more

- i hardly see any friends

- I cant satisfy my girl

healthy ? you decide

Off-Topic:

unfortunately Reb is right here (shame he had to wrap it up with the usuall ,Rebish,disrespectful attitude :wall: )

On a forum such as this It is not the place to be advocating drugs and alchohol. Honestly you should know better.

You do realize you responded in precisely the same fashion I told you not to? Oh, and with a condescending attitude to boot. Flawless debating style.

Way to reinforce the fact that you are exactly the kind of person I thought you were.

quote]

Wait, so if you knew it was going to be said why did you post that comment anyways? I'll stick with being "the person you thought I was" and still try to keep these forums clean.

The PROUD owner of a fire cape.

-- I Support Israel, the United States, England, and any other country that has been attacked by terrorists--

---Any country attacked has a right to defend itself---

"All right, why do you think alcohol is bad/evil? No offense, but other than mommy telling you it's bad, what problems do you have with someone drinking responsibly and in moderation? Sorry, I can't really respond properly until I hear your full perspective on the issue. I.e., I can't counterargue until I know what I'm arguing against ."

Why is alchohol bad? Is that a joke?

Alchohol impairs your ability to make decisions and act 100% of the time. This isnt a side effect of alchohol, its the EFFECT. You feel semi-distant from the world and cant make decisions well.

O and theres a reason that all the mommys of the world tell you its bad. It is.

Generally parents say things are bad because they are. (Generally :-$ )

O and arent we a bit off topic?

The PROUD owner of a fire cape.

-- I Support Israel, the United States, England, and any other country that has been attacked by terrorists--

---Any country attacked has a right to defend itself---

LOL I agree 100%...

Plus, the very first reason as to how i got members was...telling my mum how runescape is such a lovely game.

You DO learn how to merchandize, dealing bargains, and learn abit of economy! :P

Nice work too, <3: your thesis essay. I generally suck at writing thesis essays lol....maybe i should write one about RS in humanities sometimes :-k

skaterlam.png

Yea it also teaches u to thieve gold from people and burn down terrain close to banks! YESS!

But on a serious note - Yea it teaches some basic fundamental academic skills and promotes an ethical attitude but internet gameplay in moderation is obviously a must. An 'Addiction' is something u do constantly until it becomes unhealthy, i think rewording the title of ur theory is a much. 'Healthy Past-time?' I think that sounds better :-k

Note:

Addiction: The state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

mezsigka3.png

DV, I believe we've come to agreement on most of what we were arguing, and all that is left is stuff about your personal life, which, since I know nothing about it, would be quite difficult to argue :P . Glad you and I could finish this up maturely. I personally hope that you'll eventually find someone you love whom you can eventually choose to love both spirititually and physically, but it's your life, not mine :P . You can stay alcohol free for all I care as well (it'll probably give you a better liver :XD: ), just hope you don't think it's evil or anything, especially if you've got friends drinking :P .

Adventurer, it's nice that we can agree, and also agree to disagree :P . Can't find much more I can say ::' .

Off-Topic:

unfortunately Reb is right here (shame it has to be wrapped with the usuall disrespectful attitude :wall: )

Well, thank you, but I, nor DV or Adventurer, have wrapped this up with a "disrespectful attitude". So, unless you're talking to dandude (which would be impossible seeing as how he posted after this post), I'm having trouble finding who you're referring to :-k .

Sorry if this is cursory, I've got to leave soon so it's kinda rushed >_>.

On a forum such as this It is not the place to be advocating drugs and alchohol. Honestly you should know better.

You do realize you responded in precisely the same fashion I told you not to? Oh, and with a condescending attitude to boot. Flawless debating style.

Way to reinforce the fact that you are exactly the kind of person I thought you were.

Wait, so if you knew it was going to be said why did you post that comment anyways? I'll stick with being "the person you thought I was" and still try to keep these forums clean.

No, I didn't know you were going to say it. In fact, I was hoping that you weren't going to.

"
All right' date=' why do you think alcohol is bad/evil? No offense, but other than mommy telling you it's bad, what problems do you have with someone drinking responsibly and in moderation? Sorry, I can't really respond properly until I hear your full perspective on the issue. I.e., I can't counterargue until I know what I'm arguing against ."[/quote']

Why is alchohol bad? Is that a joke?

Alchohol impairs your ability to make decisions and act 100% of the time. This isnt a side effect of alchohol, its the EFFECT. You feel semi-distant from the world and cant make decisions well.

Lay off the insults. They don't help your argumentation, at all, and they serve little to know purpose.

By your argument, chocolate is bad, and you should never, ever have it. No, let me take that back. Any and all unhealthy food is bad, so you should never, ever have any. You're saying anything that has a bad effect should be completely and utterly avoided in life, no matter how good it feels or how small the bad effect is (drinking a little bit in your life ain't guna kill ya buddeh).

I'm not arguing that alcohol is Gatorade. I'm arguing that in moderation, it can be a great way to experience life, especially with friends. It isn't a necessity, but hey, it's like chocolate, it makes things pretty damn good.

O and theres a reason that all the mommys of the world tell you its bad. It is.

Generally parents say things are bad because they are. (Generally :-$ )

True. What I have a problem with is not thinking for yourself, but simply regurgetating everything your parents tell you, even if they are usually right. Parents aren't perfect either dude.

O and arent we a bit off topic?

Eh, somewhat, still trying to parallel it to moderation and addiction in Runescape to make a case about the first post, as well as make a point about life in general.

~Mr. Devnull

~Mr. Devnull

On average it takes about one hour for your body to process one unit of alcohol. This varies depending on your body size, sex and the amount of food in your digestive system. If your liver isn't functioning normally, the process takes longer. One unit of alcohol is roughly equivalent to half a pint of beer, a 25ml (pub) measure of spirit, or two-thirds of a small (125ml) glass of wine. This means that one pint takes your body about two hours to break down, and a large glass of wine (250ml) about three hours - longer if the ABV (alcohol by volume) content is higher than average. So if you have seven pints during a night out, it could take as long as 17 or 18 hours to leave your system.

- Two months? .... I don't think its possible to consume that much alcohol by 'accident'.

[hide=Section of an oversize quote, click to open...]

~Mr. Devnull

~Mr. Devnull

[/hide]

On average it takes about one hour for your body to process one unit of alcohol. This varies depending on your body size, sex and the amount of food in your digestive system. If your liver isn't functioning normally, the process takes longer. One unit of alcohol is roughly equivalent to half a pint of beer, a 25ml (pub) measure of spirit, or two-thirds of a small (125ml) glass of wine. This means that one pint takes your body about two hours to break down, and a large glass of wine (250ml) about three hours - longer if the ABV (alcohol by volume) content is higher than average. So if you have seven pints during a night out, it could take as long as 17 or 18 hours to leave your system.

- Two months? .... I don't think its possible to consume that much alcohol by 'accident'.

I didn't even consume more than a mere cubic centimeter at max at the time, that I'm sure of. I'll bet you that it was totally due to me being only 16, dangerously underage, my first time drinking in my life, and my odd body chemistry.

Anywho, enough about me. I've got an odd body anyway. :|

~Mr. Devnull

[hide=Section of an oversize quote, click to open...]

~Mr. Devnull

~Mr. Devnull

[/hide]

I didn't even consume more than a mere cubic centimeter at max at the time, that I'm sure of. I'll bet you that it was totally due to me being only 16, dangerously underage, my first time drinking in my life, and my odd body chemistry.

Anywho, enough about me. I've got an odd body anyway. :|

~Mr. Devnull

u should of went to a doctors.... 2months due to a cubic centimeter of alcohol.

just take a shot of vodka b4 u go to bed and see what happnes, its all psycological (or however u spell it) probobly.

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

• 2 weeks later...