Halo Discussion thread

foxbat9

]I have to agree with angryjoe, theres nothing in halo that stands out to me that other shooters before it had not done. There are like 5-6 different enemies, the underlying plotline has been used like 1000 times, the gameplay is exactly the same as any standard first person shooter (run, jump, shoot, throw grenades), the only thing that was even slightly different was the vehicles but thats been done plenty since the then. The online experience is terrible, so many trash talkers, cheaters, or people that you just can't kill even if you're good at the game. The

shielding also drives me crazy personally, I prefer games like call of duty where I can surprise the enemy and get a jump on them and be able to kill them quickly instead of shooting them, getting their attention, and having them turn around and headshot me. It's a decent game but its nothing revolutionary or anything that I'd get so hyped up about like everyone seems to, I just don't see it.

Now Gears of War, that game had some very interesting gameplay.

I hate to turn this into a Halo defense thread, but whatever.

5-6 enemies, as opposed to the 1 that you get in call of duty.

Jumping, grenades and such are basics of fps's. There are plenty of other things in halo worth mentioning that add to the running and gunning part.

If they can headshot you while turning around, but you can't kill them even with the element of surprise, whose fault is that? But really, halo is an unreal-style boomfest. You die a lot more in the average halo match than lets say, a call of duty match. I don't get why some people say there's too much health/shield in halo and others say there's too little. Opinions i guess.

And as for Gears...It's really good of course, but it's got very little on Halo, to be honest. I mean, don't even get me started about "online experience" and "underlying plot". And really, who wants to play in the tiny 4-man teams anyway? You might as well stick with battlefield 42 or something. And the first person to say "gears is more innovative/revolutionary than halo" will promptly receive a wedgie. :evil:

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

]I have to agree with angryjoe, theres nothing in halo that stands out to me that other shooters before it had not done. There are like 5-6 different enemies, the underlying plotline has been used like 1000 times, the gameplay is exactly the same as any standard first person shooter (run, jump, shoot, throw grenades), the only thing that was even slightly different was the vehicles but thats been done plenty since the then. The online experience is terrible, so many trash talkers, cheaters, or people that you just can't kill even if you're good at the game. The

shielding also drives me crazy personally, I prefer games like call of duty where I can surprise the enemy and get a jump on them and be able to kill them quickly instead of shooting them, getting their attention, and having them turn around and headshot me. It's a decent game but its nothing revolutionary or anything that I'd get so hyped up about like everyone seems to, I just don't see it.

Now Gears of War, that game had some very interesting gameplay.

I hate to turn this into a Halo defense thread, but whatever.

5-6 enemies, as opposed to the 1 that you get in call of duty.

Jumping, grenades and such are basics of fps's. There are plenty of other things in halo worth mentioning that add to the running and gunning part.

If they can headshot you while turning around, but you can't kill them even with the element of surprise, whose fault is that? But really, halo is an unreal-style boomfest. You die a lot more in the average halo match than lets say, a call of duty match. I don't get why some people say there's too much health/shield in halo and others say there's too little. Opinions i guess.

And as for Gears...It's really good of course, but it's got very little on Halo, to be honest. I mean, don't even get me started about "online experience" and "underlying plot". And really, who wants to play in the tiny 4-man teams anyway? You might as well stick with battlefield 42 or something. And the first person to say "gears is more innovative/revolutionary than halo" will promptly receive a wedgie. :evil:

The reason why GoW is better than halo isn't the multiplayer, but because of the single player. Its one of the first to really embrace the duck and cover style and it really brings a great intense single player campaign.

What some people need to know is that halo is just another FPS. It isn't revolutionary, it isn't the best game ever, it isn't the best game of the year. Sadly the xbox really lacks good FPS multiplayer titles and halo fills that gap. Hopefully TF2 coming to the 360 will be a start of it getting some better titles.

At any rate the amount of fanbois the game has is extreme, which after all these years I still really can not figure out. One of the things the game has going for it is a large community -- most people on xbox live just bother playing halo and even if they try and get into other FPS's they usually will go back to halo, just for the reason that it has so many more people online to play matches with.

The reason why GoW is better than halo isn't the multiplayer, but because of the single player. Its one of the first to really embrace the duck and cover style and it really brings a great intense single player campaign

I dunno, gears' campaign stuck me as overly repetitive and just general duck-spray-move-repeat scenario; rather tiring. To be honest, gears' coop is what makes it shine, not the 1-player action. The multiplayer isn't bad either, if that's what I sounded like i said. It's great, just doesn't really trounce halo's in any aspect I can think of.

What some people need to know is that halo is just another FPS. It isn't revolutionary, it isn't the best game ever, it isn't the best game of the year. Sadly the xbox really lacks good FPS multiplayer titles and halo fills that gap. Hopefully TF2 coming to the 360 will be a start of it getting some better titles.

Counterstrike is just another popular fps mod. Starcraft is another rts. Wow is just another mmo. Final fantasy is just another Japanese rpg. And of course, Halo is yet another fps. I think my point is evident here. A game doesn't have to reinvent the way we think, it just has to put all the elements of videogaming together in good unison to be entertaining. Beyond this it's your opinion, but imo, Halo does it rather well.

At any rate the amount of fanbois the game has is extreme, which after all these years I still really can not figure out. One of the things the game has going for it is a large community -- most people on xbox live just bother playing halo and even if they try and get into other FPS's they usually will go back to halo, just for the reason that it has so many more people online to play matches with.
Uh...fanboys don't spontaneously spawn into existence. There's a reason, like them liking the game. And I honestly don't understand why people dismiss the entire halo fanbase as being trivial, that that they're all just fanboys. Sales numbers don't lie people. I mean, would Wow or Starcraft be hardly impressive if it wasn't for their massive following? I'm not saying the fanbase dictates the game's quality, but it sure is a good pointer for it.

And it's not just the fact that a lot of people play Halo, but people have fun playing it. Fun, remember that people? As opposed to a second life?

I like how they made the co-op make sense, where the second person plays as the arbiter. I personally loved the driving challenge in the last level, it was similiar to halo 1's ending, I love just driving warthogs or ghosts, or choppers around.

I'm glad they added a human flying vehicle you can use, the hornet, and i like how you kill scarabs now, it's so much better then just jumping on one from a place thats above it, and killing a few guys. now you actually knock it down and board it, which makes it more interesting.

The graphics aren't the absolute best, but they're still good, the flood are a lot more challenging now, though i think the elites should of been in the game more.

I don't really like the co-op respawn system, i like it in gears of war better, i wish there was a way to atleast prone, rather then sort of crouch. I wish they had kept the X as reload and all, and made the back buttons do the special items like the shields and grav lift, it took me a while to transition from x picking something up. i wasted a lot of items in the beginning. A few of the guns are a waste, like the spartan laser in almost every situation, and i don't really like how theres a turret on the tank and the wraiths now, but i guess it makes them harder to kill.

As said before, it's not an exceptional game that stands out, but it's still a good game. It didn't really take any risks away from the classic run forward and shoot everyone gameplay, while other games like gears of war added the cover system- basically if you don't shoot from cover, and if you rush forward you die.

Just out of curiosity, what difficulty did you all play it on?

I did heroic.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

:? The whole "Halo brings nothing to the table" argument really cant apply anymore... What more can be done in FPS? I'm pretty sure from now on all fps are gonna be the same, and until we get virtual reality, all console and computer based fps will do pretty much the exact same (Although an online version of Bioshock would be nice).

If one really thinks about it, most games these days are just gonna end up being the same thing untill we get virtual reality, there isn't much to change about RTS's, about MMO's (well it kinda can, but i've yet to see a company perfect it), about RPG's.

If we all look at the base of the games, the core game play, everything is exactly the same. The only thing that can evolve is a better storyline right now.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Just out of curiosity, what difficulty did you all play it on?

I did heroic.

Thank Bungie for their presence of mind, I won't have to beat the game in all three difficulties, just legendary to unlock the points for the others as well.

But as is custom with me, I beat the game solo on normal, and then coop the legendary. Really, it's just boring otherwise, plus the new scoring feature makes the coop vastly entertaining.

Wow, Bungie did an amazing job with the brainwash feature.. Honestly, I wasn't impressed with Halo 3. I played campain for a little over an hour and the whole time the levels reminded me of Halo 1 and 2 levels. The only difference was the slightly nicer graphics. I don't have a HD tv so maybe I'm not seeing what some of you see, but the graphics aren't that much better imo.

Of course, I'm really enjoying multiplayer and I can't wait to get Xbox Live to take things online. The only things I'm disppointed with are:

-Magnum fires slower

-Rockets are no longer lock on

-Plasma pistol full charge no longer drifts toward moving target

-Gravity hammer.. Wtf? "Eat gravity, [bleep]!" .. We already had the energy sword, things were good enough

Overall the game was a big letdown for me. They made it sound so amazing before it released, then it was nothing like I imagined.

Overall the game was a big letdown for me. They made it sound so amazing before it released, then it was nothing like I imagined.

That can be said for pretty much all the Halo games. I still don't get what's so special about them. I'm pretty mch in the "Just another FPS" camp.

I mean, yeah the online is fun, but everything else. . . can be found as good or better in another game. It's way to overhyped, and as Nad said, has way to many fanbois.

p2gq.jpg

Wow, Bungie did an amazing job with the brainwash feature.. Honestly, I wasn't impressed with Halo 3. I played campain for a little over an hour and the whole time the levels reminded me of Halo 1 and 2 levels. The only difference was the slightly nicer graphics. I don't have a HD tv so maybe I'm not seeing what some of you see, but the graphics aren't that much better imo.

-Magnum fires slower

-Gravity hammer.. Wtf? "Eat gravity, [bleep]!" .. We already had the energy sword, things were good enough

An HD-tv makes a huge difference, I just played on a normal tv and it doesnt even compare with what you get on an hdtv...

The magnum does fire slower, but now it has more kick and power than before (it actiually feels like you can blow someones brains out)

The missile pod does lock on..

You just have to aim well with the plasma pistol

and the gravity hammer is the sweetest thing ever!

Halo 3 is definately better the all the other halos and even GoW(only because of multiplayer)

jav

"Let your feelings be like that of a monkey in a pinata, hiding inside with the candy hoping that the kids don't break through with the stick."

I still haven't beaten it, actually I haven't been able to play it all that much, between school, school volleyball, homework and hockey, I've had about 5-8 hours total palying time since I got it, which was wednesday. Oh well, I'm off to own it, hopefully \'

EDIT:

Damn sister, having friends over and using the basement, no Halo for me <.<

Anyway, I agree with Lionheart, it is near impossible to improve the FPS genre without virtual reality. And even then, that will will just end up being a game of laser tag, which can hardly be consider a consol game.

So basically, it all depends on the support features the game offers. Halo 3, IMO has excellent features, most of which focus on community play. I mean, they give you an option to make MOVIES. That is just crazy and will spark some very good machinimas, and will also just bolster the others, such as Rooster Teeth. Oh, and while yes, Halo 3 is only really great if you were into atleast Halo 2, it still has a decent storyline. But of course, the third in a trilogy is always the best.

In other words, call me a fan boy, because I'm hooked :wink:

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Also whoever said Bioshock online. THAT WOULD BE REALLY DUMB!

Why? I'm tired of you people coming in and saying "Thats dumb, thats stupid, it sucks" without backing up reasons. You live in Canada right? You just failed an English class question because you can't back up your answer

Why would it be dumb? Because one would have a fully customizable player? Because only carrying 6 plasimids at a time would make it so a person has to chose a unique strategy?

It would be an excellent idea, but would take some re thinking for some things.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Also whoever said Bioshock online. THAT WOULD BE REALLY DUMB!

Why? I'm tired of you people coming in and saying "Thats dumb, thats stupid, it sucks" without backing up reasons. You live in Canada right? You just failed an English class question because you can't back up your answer

Why would it be dumb? Because one would have a fully customizable player? Because only carrying 6 plasimids at a time would make it so a person has to chose a unique strategy?

It would be an excellent idea, but would take some re thinking for some things.

I'm not really sure bioshock was meant for multiplayer. I mean, in theory its cool. I just don't think it'd work out as well as one would think.

Anyway, I agree with Lionheart, it is near impossible to improve the FPS genre without virtual reality. And even then, that will will just end up being a game of laser tag, which can hardly be consider a consol game.

So basically, it all depends on the support features the game offers. Halo 3, IMO has excellent features, most of which focus on community play. I mean, they give you an option to make MOVIES. That is just crazy and will spark some very good machinimas, and will also just bolster the others, such as Rooster Teeth. Oh, and while yes, Halo 3 is only really great if you were into atleast Halo 2, it still has a decent storyline. But of course, the third in a trilogy is always the best.

In other words, call me a fan boy, because I'm hooked

You mean how there are programs on a PC that allow you to record games, which have been around for years?

As far as 'improving' FPS's there is little you can do to the general idea of what they are. Bioshock did mix it up very well, but games like that are a rare find.

Halo, to me, is just another FPS. The reason why I keep trying to fight against it is, well, look at reviews for it! So many game websites had it stuck in there head months before the game came out what they would review it, and likewise many halo fanboys already had it through there head that it was the best game ever made -- with out even trying it!

So yeah I guess I just never got sucked into this giant whirlpool of halo fanboism like everyone else did. I mean, I gave #1 and #2 equal opportunities but all I saw was just an average game that really couldn't keep my attention.

Anyways I know that really changing the scope of FPS's is difficult, near impossible. However I do want devs to try and aim for that -- not just create another washed out FPS. Bioshock showed us that FPS's aren't done changing yet and can really hold great, captivating story lines. It also shows us that while the same point and shoot mechanic holds true that we can mix it up.

Likewise games such as half life 2 just showed us how we can use physics today to create an even more engrossing product. Its no doubt that before half life 2 physics were fairly dull. Its gravity gun and just general physics puzzles really raised the bar for first person shooters, I mean, how many FPS's do you see these days that don't try and throw in some interesting physics into the equation?

So I'm probably just rambling on now -- oh well.

Online sucks in most cases

Bungie said they fixed all the weapons so they are more or less equal.

if you have a shotgun in close quarters, and your spawning with that assault rifle guess who's going to win...

Lone Wolf - Ranked sucks. whoever has the power weapon is going to win.

The matchmaking itself is worse than halo 2...

I went into a ranked match as level 3-5, and i was looking at peoples ranks (going into their profiles and looking) and i was going against people who were in their 17's and high 20's, not for that specific play list, but its still not fair to the newer player who are stuck facing people who have that much experience already.

And most of the online maps are terrible, there aren't really any good ones... some are way to big so you spawn, and have to walk a hundred or so yards to say get to the top of the hill for a king of the hill game, and by the time you get there the hill is moved, or someone is at the hill with a rocket or power-weapon and kills you.

These new maps suck. they better bring back some of the old ones.

I've mostly done rumble pit type games (free for all), and those are the worst.

The team games I've played have been good for the most part, haven't had a "bulls*it* moment that makes you pissed and ask -why?-

I haven't played much team because all of my online friends are to busy doing other things.

Of course, I'm really enjoying multiplayer and I can't wait to get Xbox Live to take things online. The only things I'm disppointed with are:

-Magnum fires slower

ok

A: mags r supposed to be slower cause people spammed them in the game.

B: rocket launchers lost their lock on due to that 2 shots on a tank = death and 1 shot on any other vehicle = death. so ye i'm glad its gone.

c: plasma pistols still follow but more difficult to get a hit and its mostly used to blow up warthogs ect.

D: grav hammer is one of the best items now! it owns anyone with a sword lol. i love it.

modjohan.jpg

l_the_seer_l.png

I am known only as The Seer. I have many names and many different forms. Cross me at your own risk, fight me at your own peril, but join me and fight by my side, and none shall stand before our power.

Owner of the Quest, Firemaking*2-12-08*, Fletching, Magic, Defense, Cooking, HP, Attack, Strength, Herblore, Summoning, Farming and Prayer Capes.

A: mags r supposed to be slower cause people spammed them in the game..

In halo 2 online I've never seen/been mag spammed or even killed by a mag... Maybe killed once or twice when there were no other secondaries around... but no one even bothers with them when I play? Maybe I'm missing something?

happiehour.jpeg

Bioshock online would be interesting.

Maybe have a small section of one of the maps that you play, or even a new one altogether, you would start with a wrench and maybe a pistol, and a fire and electric plasmid, and maybe other weapons and items are spread around the map.

That might be interesting...

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

I never got what was the big deal about halo. I never played 1 but I played 2 over at a friends house. I just never was a big fan of halo.

Well it helps if you know the story line, and play long enough to get good at the game. If you've only played 2 at a friends house one or two times, you probably dont have a very good idea of how good the game is.

A: mags r supposed to be slower cause people spammed them in the game..

In halo 2 online I've never seen/been mag spammed or even killed by a mag... Maybe killed once or twice when there were no other secondaries around... but no one even bothers with them when I play? Maybe I'm missing something?

I am god with SMG and Mag combo.

Anyways, I just think everyone was expecting too much from this game.

-Magnum fires slower

Don't forget;

- Tanks don't have the machine guns anymore.

- We can't hold 4 of each grenade anymore.

But you should really try and play it on 1080p. Its insane.

cyco_1.jpg