How do you see the future?

Peter

It's a pretty broad subject, but let's say in 100 years. What do you think the world as we know it will be like?

I personally have a pretty grim outlook. I see this planet way over-populated, upwards towards 10 billion people. With the over-population disease will be a common occurance, but new medical technology will make it so that disease is easily curable, as will AIDS and cancer, or at least so that they are as irrelevent as the common cold.

The ozone will have deteriorated into nothing, and global warming will cause constant natural disasters which will be the only thing keeping the population down at all. The constant bombarding of UV rays on us will mean nothing anymore.

Cars will be the same, we won't be in hovercrafts or flying. They will be more futuristic and such, but not much will have changed. Aircraft however will be more advanced, but only a bit.

Technology will cap off in about 50 years. There will be a point where all relevent discoverys will have been made, and no serious advances will occur. All medical and mechanical advances will be made within this period.

There won't be robots, or at least nothing different than what we've got now. Maybe the same technology applied differently, but no robots that clean your house or walk your dog. Especially none with minds of their own :P.

That's about how I see the future, overpopulated and disease free. Not a fun place to be.

peterstretchfn5.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a pretty broad subject, but let's say in 100 years. What do you think the world as we know it will be like?

I personally have a pretty grim outlook. I see this planet way over-populated, upwards towards 10 billion people. With the over-population disease will be a common occurance, but new medical technology will make it so that disease is easily curable, as will AIDS and cancer, or at least so that they are as irrelevent as the common cold.

The ozone will have deteriorated into nothing, and global warming will cause constant natural disasters which will be the only thing keeping the population down at all. The constant bombarding of UV rays on us will mean nothing anymore.

Cars will be the same, we won't be in hovercrafts or flying. They will be more futuristic and such, but not much will have changed. Aircraft however will be more advanced, but only a bit.

Technology will cap off in about 50 years. There will be a point where all relevent discoverys will have been made, and no serious advances will occur. All medical and mechanical advances will be made within this period.

There won't be robots, or at least nothing different than what we've got now. Maybe the same technology applied differently, but no robots that clean your house or walk your dog. Especially none with minds of their own :P.

That's about how I see the future, overpopulated and disease free. Not a fun place to be.

I don't agree, i believe nuclear power will take over as soon as stupid greenies realise that only communist russians cant maintain it properly and electric cars will take over soonish as well.

Hmm...I disagree with you on that one. Technology "capping off" is something I doubt will ever happen, much less than in the next 50 years. You can always get better at something, or make it simpler or more user-friendly, or something. Besides, new technology sets the stage for more technology. Creating something will call for creating something else to fix it's problems, or a variation of an invention. It is a never-ending process. As long as humans want to get better (or, perhaps more accurately, "lazier"), the drive for new technology will be around until the Sun blows up. :P

In regards to medicine, once again, you can always get better. Even if a cure to every disease is found (which I highly doubt will be anywhere near within the next 50 years), medical advances to create "superhumans" will be made. The drug to make you live longer. The pill to make you run faster. Not to mention biogenetically engineering and cloning. Again, as long as humans are on this planet, they will be searching for some sort of medical breakthrough. Never will we, as a race, be satisfied with what we have. Never.

it'd be really cool to transport into the future to imagine.

Try to imagine what it's like in 5, 10, 100, 1000, 4 billion years

population control is held by moving to different planets :lol:

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

I don't agree, i believe nuclear power will take over as soon as stupid greenies realise that only communist russians cant maintain it properly and electric cars will take over soonish as well.

well accidents do happen... we all go through trial and error.

most countries with nuclear power doesn't always have a spotless record.

But yea, as soon as they find better batteries, I see electric cars going mainsteam.

Although maybe sooner than expected, what with all the recent oil price hikes...

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

Nuclear Fusion

Higgs Boson (god particle)

String Theory

All will be solved and religeon will be no more :D

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Things will get so technologically advanced and we will rely on them so much that there will be a huge meltdown and society will go into chaos. Luckily i'll be dead by then

well accidents do happen... we all go through trial and error.

most countries with nuclear power doesn't always have a spotless record.

But yea, as soon as they find better batteries, I see electric cars going mainsteam.

Although maybe sooner than expected, what with all the recent oil price hikes...

The only problem with nuclear power is that you can not stop it, until it runs out, which the russians found out the hard way

The only problem with nuclear power is that you can not stop it, until it runs out, which the russians found out the hard way

You are talking avout nuclear fission, nuclear fusion has no waste and produces enomous amounts of energy. its how the sun works

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

in 100 years time i think the world will be like one big computer ( no i not ben on my comp that much) but everything will be run by computers

Wow - Zuu - Lvl 55 Destructo Lock - Neptulon

Rattus Jr - Skill totaler Nub ( Zuu's Back)

Archer003 - 92 80 99 92hp Rsc trained

On fusion and Iter

Nuclear fusion is very real. The best fusion reactor that exists today is JET (oxford). it produces slightly less energy then is needed to sustain the fusion reaction.

Scientists however learned lots of it. Right now scientists from all over the world (japan, russia, china, europe, america) are working on ITER. This will be the first fusion reactor that produces more energy then is needed to sustain the reaction.

At this moment they're deciding where it'll be built, either in japan or france though I believe that it's gonna be france (might already be decided on).

This reactor will prove that creating a sustainable fusion reaction is possible and ofcourse it'll allow for a lot of research on it. After ITER scientists will be able to start working on the first prototype of a commercial fusion reactor, which is the last step toward fusion powerplants (estimated to be taken in 2040).

As for the dangers of fusion, there are very few. In fission processes all of the "fuel" is inside the reactor, which makes it impossible to just remove the "fuel" and stop the reaction when it goes wrong. This is what causes the problems.

Fusion however doesn't require the "fuel" to be inside the reactor, it's added during the proces.

Aside from that, the temprature of the fusion plasm might be very high, the energy densitiy of it is however very low, this is thus no danger either.

As for waste products, the only waste there is, is a bit of helium gas which is completely innocent compared to what we're producing nowadays. Also the reactor itself will be conteminated with radioactive material, it decays however very quick (within a century I believe).

As for the amounts of energy that can be produced this way, that's simply huge. I've got no numbers on it though. We can litterally fly to the moon, retrieve the required elements, fly back and still make more energy then is needed (this is for heavier elements, not sure which as the lecture on it is quite a while ago).

Anyway more information on iter can be found at: www.iter.org

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for science toping in the next century. No way, there's SO much more to discover, there's so much more to apply it ain't even close to funny.

I'm expecting a lot from nano technology and new materials, quantum computers. Perhaps some day some high temprature super conductors :D

So all in all, I think we've got a bright future ahead of us :) When the problems of our current life style hit us hard, we'll switch to a more endurable life style, which will by then be possible.

The economy will get a hit, but I guess we'll survive :wink:

vvvsig.gif

Wow, a lot of misconceptions of science (makes me weep; really)

The only reason why Chernobyl exploded was due to a poor design (and a poor construction); the rod's used to slow down and eventually stop the nuclear reactor was tipped with a substance that made the reactor even more powerful; that coupled with heat sensors that didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t read the bottom of the reactor and a poorly run safety test led to the disaster; in modern reactors built properly the chance of a melt down's are almost nil.

Nuclear fusion will be a useful quick fix for our power problems (however it may be slow to introduce since it will be costly to replace everything and oil big wig's have too much influence over the direction of future fuel technologies); I think the most viable source of energy will be from neutrino/anti-neutrino collisions (or other dark matter/anti- dark matter collisions), from quantum vacuum energy or from a completely new and unknown source we don't even know about.

String Theory sounds more like some special mathematics rather then a framework for physics (however I may be proved wrong) so don't expect a breakthrough to happen any time soon.

On with my predictions:

You may or may not realise this but medical breakthroughs will most likely be able to keep us living well beyond the next 100 years so we may some of these predictions work out.

Life in the next 100 years will be quite pleasant:

-Car's will be scrapped in place of magnetic-levitation (result of room temperature super conductors) transport.

-Space expedition will be cheaper with a space elevator in service.

-We will master how to prevent death (through curing illnesses).

-We will master the environment and will be able to terra-form any part of it to suit our need's and the rest of the world's.

-Much of the production side of the world (food, good's) will be automated on specially designed tiers (most land will consist on huge buildings on multiple levels each specifically designed for one task I.E. farming, bottling etc.) where inputs go in and you collect the final product on the other side (with mechanics to go in and fix things if they canÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t be fixed internally).

Well I can go on forever since this is open ended and you are talking about the world in general but to put it simply the world will be radically different to now; in terms of technology, philosophy and global responsibility.

I see over population, and so less resourches for each person, and there for not a lot of wealth.

Because of that lack of wealth there will be a lot criminality as people still need to eat.

And lawyers will say that acording to some religions stealing for food is right so it should not be puniched.

Because of mass starvation humans won't have much regard for animals as those eat the food they could get and there for kill almost all of them.

Also because of the so great population a lot of people will fear there job because there easely replaceable, and there for have great deals of stress. Those stresses will lead to a lot more drinking and usage of drugs.

Enough about the socials of the future "civilisation", lets go on to technologie.

Before we go any further we must ask ourselfs the qeustion, Will we be able to master cold fusion? -if yes that will probably be the primary sourche of energie. -if not were done for as uranium and other radiating materials will run out in about 70 years at curent usage and coal, gas and oil even sooner. And solar wind and water power won't be enough, and will need loads of maintanance.

Ok back to where cold fusion is possible, because this will allow energie to be used to power cars whit the help of feul cells or by hydrogen production plants. And not only cars it will be used for almost any mean of transport.

Medical science will progress but It won't be able to cure everything for a long time.

For space exploration we will probably have a base on the moon, some in earths orbit and maybe one on or arround mars. But will still won't be able to travel very far.

As for wars I think there won't be any huge one, there probably will be terrorist attacks where nuclier weapons will be used in a large city, but nothing that will kill more then a million people.

Politics will become somewhat of a trouble as I see only complaints no mater how good it is being handeld. (yeah kind of like runescape)

For enviroment I hope that people will finaly see you can't live on a distroyed planet and therefor won't distroy it that much anymore.

For AI: I think it will be like so called AI programs having more things programmed into them then a normal human mind would be able to think of. but not yet the ability to think of something new.

As for the internet it will about be the same, but being anonymous will be a lot harder. It would still have large boring peices of text like this one.

Computer games: games will look almost real, maybe even being conected synaptically so youre emotions will be used inside the game or the other way arround so you even feel youre characters pain.

Other entertainment: No idee what so ever, who knows what people will come up whit.

f2p skilltotal 1050+

We live in semi-anarchy or anarchy democracy. People got bored of taxes and such and found them to be old fashioned. So there were huge revolutions and protests. And slowly the taxes were cut out. People decide from things with internet votings, meetings and such. The only thing that reminds us from the old democrachy is that there is voluanteer police forces to keep crimes of the street, maintained volunteary. People don't live their lives in just one country anymore that much, because there aren't so tight country boundaries anymore and because there are no taxes. Army is no more because people formed more organizations which try to get rid of war. almost all poverty has been eliminated because of powerfull organizations who give money to poor people. But there could be mega cityes like in juddge dredd.

Or then it could be just like nowadays, but so that some countries suck alot more and some countries got alot wealthier.

Technology will be much better and we don't clean our houses by ourselves anymore (atleast not the richer people don't). Because of cleaner bots. More advanced than todays cleaning bots ofcourse, some of them even fly like flyes.

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

If I'm still alive after 100 years, somebody remind me that I'll pay them the equivalent of today's $5k if in the next 100 years there isn't a war or a global disaster which will kill billions of people. Be truthful, there's not too much to be optimistic about in the future.

Yes, people will achieve their personal goals, blah.. So on. But the world itself will just become more ruined all the time until the stupid humans finally notice that thanks to their millions of industrialist factories with the "produce more for cheap" philosophy that pump toxics into the atmosphere, that 1 in 6 people will be already developing skin cancer and probably dying off it.

...Not that it's anything new though, read history and you'll see. People are always in a self saturated mindset that says "nah, nothing bad will happen... They all lie..." And they only learn when a nuclear catastrophe, disease or a war kills one third of the entire population of Earth. Look at WW1, WW2, the European plague disease before that, etc...

Just because you "think" nothing will happen, it doesn't mean nothing will indeed happen. This sums up my story:

":1vdrcf8p]The price good men have to pay for not being interested in politics is to be governed by men weaker than them

It's taking place already with thousands of morons around the world in top administrative positions, and some people say they're even doing a good job (I'm not specifically talking about Bush so don't flame me on that). On a general scale I'm talking about all the corrupt politicians in the world that are just pathetic leeches that keep building their palaces and grinning on the media, while their people are dying of poorness, famine and easily preventable diseases.

Because of the evil greedy selfcentred human nature capitalism will win. We will master the secrets of lfie and death and the ones who can afford it will live forever. As a larger number of people fall below the extreme poverty level the gap between rich and poor will keep growing. Soon we will live in an elitistic society with not much left of the humanitarian ideals of today.

Goodnight.

Because of the evil greedy selfcentred human nature capitalism will win. We will master the secrets of lfie and death and the ones who can afford it will live forever. As a larger number of people fall below the extreme poverty level the gap between rich and poor will keep growing. Soon we will live in an elitistic society with not much left of the humanitarian ideals of today.

Goodnight.

you sound like one of those people were unsuccessful at life, and want people who were successful to give you their products of their work. i very much would like to "get rid" of everyone like you, ie. socialists. why should the smart, hard working, and successful give their products and wealth to the stupid and lazy people? ill stick to capitalism, where you get what you pay for, and nothing else.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I know that biotechnology will continue past 50 years. It'll just be beginning to get really advanced, and as long as it isn't illegal by then, the technology in that field will be exponentially growing, IMO.

A theory by one person thought that eventually the rich and poor would be separated by people who choose to advance themselves and their children genetically, and those who can't. Eventually, after many generations, the article said that humans would be separated because the enhanced wouldn't even be able to breed with the naturals, and become entirely different species without even breeding interests in each other. Was a pretty interesting theory.

If I'm still alive after 100 years, somebody remind me that I'll pay them the equivalent of today's $5k if in the next 100 years there isn't a war or a global disaster which will kill billions of people. Be truthful, there's not too much to be optimistic about in the future.

Yes, people will achieve their personal goals, blah.. So on. But the world itself will just become more ruined all the time until the stupid humans finally notice that thanks to their millions of industrialist factories with the "produce more for cheap" philosophy that pump toxics into the atmosphere, that 1 in 6 people will be already developing skin cancer and probably dying off it.

...Not that it's anything new though, read history and you'll see. People are always in a self saturated mindset that says "nah, nothing bad will happen... They all lie..." And they only learn when a nuclear catastrophe, disease or a war kills one third of the entire population of Earth. Look at WW1, WW2, the European plague disease before that, etc...

Just because you "think" nothing will happen, it doesn't mean nothing will indeed happen.

Actually I disagree with you quite heavily on this since any war between 2 technologically capable countries will bring about mutually assured destruction (and with it a steep decline of living for other countries) and neither country will want to 'lose'. Technology is actually a deterrent for war rather then an instigator, you tell me that Japan retaliated in WW2 after the nukes were dropped.

By the time industrialisation becomes a problem we will be able to alter chemical processes to less dangerous ones (all we need is energy to break up bond's of toxin's) e.g. http://www.climateark.org/articles/2000/4th/carexdev.htm (can't find the original source for the article but this is a copy and paste).

The Plague and World Wars are very different in context to the modern world; did the British have any idea about disease and how it worked when the plague occurred? Was there a strong sense of working things out before resulting to war in WW1 and 2; global economy, long range ballistic weaponry, long range air, space front's, nuclear weaponry?

Nothing like the scale of World War 1 and 2 will ever happen again, the stakes are just too high for the aggressive nation in a matter of fact the only wars that will happen will be between 3rd world countries (countries without the resources that the first world has) or a first world attacking a rouge 3rd world (like the Iraq war); such wars have been going on indefinitely and the future will not be able to completely stamp them out.

However there is one thing that you seem to be forgetting; changes in social thinking. You can see how different we think compared to when the church ruled, the thought that women are not equal was with us as little as a 100 years age (women could not vote) and even now we are in a ethical debate over human biology (when we should kill people, abortion, stem-cell research etc.) and realistically the next question would be how can we make all these new breakthroughs (cures for cancer, medicine, information technology etc.) available for everyone; when people realise that we can still make a living while sharing our breakthroughs in science then we will be closer then global happiness then ever before.

We just need to take things in small steps and 100 year's is ample time for hundreds of these small steps to be behind us and we are left at the top of the staircase.

Goodnight.

you sound like one of those people were unsuccessful at life, and want people who were successful to give you their products of their work. i very much would like to "get rid" of everyone like you, ie. socialists. why should the smart, hard working, and successful give their products and wealth to the stupid and lazy people? ill stick to capitalism, where you get what you pay for, and nothing else.

First of all: You dont know zip about me or how "succesful" i am. For your information i am a hard working member of the community, who like all other students have a hard time finding a job that pays a good ammount of money. Lazy - No.

Apart from you i do believe that every human being has a value, and the right to a decent life. Also, not all rich people are smart and hard working, are they? Some have only got lucky, inherited a fortune, won a lottery etc. Most have got expensive educations, payed by the state (the WORKING taxpayers money). Then they would rather make a lot of money and not contribute, give anything back to the community that created their wealth to begin with.

You are just another example that confirms what i first wrote.