The Archaeology Skill - (Surprise on Page 26!)

Outsanity

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ross the knight, I know that you think im a noob, but could you look up my 2nd rs name,darkforest67 it would do us both some good

Maxed stats.40 on hiscoresowns every rare in game

I have warned you once to keep any argument or discussion of personal issues OFF my thread. If you or anyone else continues this, I will bring a mod into the picture.

Keep it mature here. This isn't the general discussion forum. Thank you.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

• 3 weeks later...

Muy Bueno y interesante ::' !! Hahaha sorry, I'm in a spanish mood :lol: ! Wow... I love it, this is really good and I 200% surport :D ! I think this is one of the most well thought out suggestions on the fourm; and it is "alot" better than various already existing skills in the game! If this skill existed in-game, I would be hooked for a long time. Which, as a player of the game, shows you that your idea has grabbed your target audience.

As for some constructive critism, the "only" thing that comes to mind is that the skill may be a little more like a "Palaeontology Skill", due to the vast amount of Dinosaur and fossil related concepts. Adding the ability to look for areas containing ancient pots (and ect) using clues found elsewhere via earlier diggs; being able to go on various Indiana Jones-type tasks; finding old cities from the 3rd age and reading about there history on manuscripts; and anything else you can think of, then it truly would be the "best" skill in a long time :thumbsup: ! I hope you don't mind my critism, as I don't believe what I have said means this isn't a good idea in any way :shame: .

Thanks for listening (or reading, whatever :lol: ). I can't wait to read about your Astronomy Skill :oops: .

Guardianb :) y2 - Knower of All

I havn't read all all the posts so I am sorry if these questions has been asked before.

With the ses section why have you chosen to put 1 spot in some of the most dangerous places in runescape (such as the KQ lair) but in places were danger isn't an issue you have put about 7.

I think I understand why there are so many easy ones, to cope with people getting the easy quick levels but if you have the KQ standing over you the last thing you want is to be stood round waiting for it to "spawn" again. Especially since the they take an hour to spawn and there is a chance that you will get nothing.

Do you expect people to run in excavate it then run out? I bet no body will bother with that spot or the KBD spot.

Why are you putting such high spawn times on them? To persuade them use these more dangerous spots.

Wouldn't it be better to make it a bit more even? To persuade them even more to use them.

perfetc_666.png

IM GOING TO LIVE FOREVER .......... or die trying

I havn't read all all the posts so I am sorry if these questions has been asked before.

With the ses section why have you chosen to put 1 spot in some of the most dangerous places in runescape (such as the KQ lair) but in places were danger isn't an issue you have put about 7.

I think I understand why there are so many easy ones, to cope with people getting the easy quick levels but if you have the KQ standing over you the last thing you want is to be stood round waiting for it to "spawn" again. Especially since the they take an hour to spawn and there is a chance that you will get nothing.

Do you expect people to run in excavate it then run out? I bet no body will bother with that spot or the KBD spot.

Why are you putting such high spawn times on them? To persuade them use these more dangerous spots.

Wouldn't it be better to make it a bit more even? To persuade them even more to use them.

I disagree. And also, it's very possible to excavate the spots without having to teleport out and go back, and even as it stands, if you had to do that it would still be easy to get back within 2 minutes and excavate another world. It's great money. If I make it any easier you'll be looking at 1m profit an hour garanteed and that is was overpowered.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

I disagree. And also, it's very possible to excavate the spots without having to teleport out and go back, and even as it stands, if you had to do that it would still be easy to get back within 2 minutes and excavate another world. It's great money. If I make it any easier you'll be looking at 1m profit an hour garanteed and that is was overpowered.

True, but hypotheticaly speaking say you and me both have 99 I go into the KQ lair do my thing and tele out or world hop then you come along 2 mins later and it's gone what do you do? Sit around and wait in the KQ lair? It's not really an option. Come back every 5 mins? You don't know when that was used, do you?

Or is it like farming were every person can see there own "stuff" so this problem wouldn't exsist but what about the spots were there is more than 1? Is that so you can level quicker?

With mining this isn't really a problem cos I am pretty sure runite doesn't take any were near an hour to come back (although I might be wrong about this)

I don't mean to pour water on your idea, I just want to make sure you have thought of everything :D

I am not sure wether I am a fan or not :lol: Sorry. :)

perfetc_666.png

True, but hypotheticaly speaking say you and me both have 99 I go into the KQ lair do my thing and tele out or world hop then you come along 2 mins later and it's gone what do you do? Sit around and wait in the KQ lair? It's not really an option. Come back every 5 mins? You don't know when that was used, do you?

Or is it like farming were every person can see there own "stuff" so this problem wouldn't exsist but what about the spots were there is more than 1? Is that so you can level quicker?

With mining this isn't really a problem cos I am pretty sure runite doesn't take any were near an hour to come back (although I might be wrong about this)

I don't mean to pour water on your idea, I just want to make sure you have thought of everything :D

Well I have two points for you:

Runite is worth 15k a rock. The Kalphite Queen SES can fetch you over a million in one rock, but more on average you'll probably get 100k gp per rock sample.

And my second point is that if the guide in it's entirety is so detailed and thought out, don't you think I thought of the most profitable SES above most everything else in the guide? =-p

I balanced things out. As I said, there is a way to not have to teleport out of the lair to be able to log out and log back in to another world, I just don't want to really give out all the secrets because then there's nothing left to be discovered. I made the guide like it was a real skill. Like you could go out and do it and figure out the best methods for yourself. I gave you the map, now you have to decipher it.

Just trust me. If I tweaked anything more in favor of making the SES spots easier, you'd have a completely unbalanced and overpowered money maker, and that is not what I was aiming for with this. :|

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Runite is worth 15k a rock. The Kalphite Queen SES can fetch you over a million in one rock, but more on average you'll probably get 100k gp per rock sample.

And my second point is that if the guide in it's entirety is so detailed and thought out, don't you think I thought of the most profitable SES above most everything else in the guide? =-p

I balanced things out. As I said, there is a way to not have to teleport out of the lair to be able to log out and log back in to another world, I just don't want to really give out all the secrets because then there's nothing left to be discovered. I made the guide like it was a real skill. Like you could go out and do it and figure out the best methods for yourself. I gave you the map, now you have to decipher it.

Just trust me. If I tweaked anything more in favor of making the SES spots easier, you'd have a completely unbalanced and overpowered money maker, and that is not what I was aiming for with this. :|

Fair enough but it is easy to over look things.

Good luck though!

perfetc_666.png

Fair enough but it is easy to over look things.

Good luck though!

Not easy to overlook the skill's largest money maker. =-p

Thank you though.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

I have read/ skimmed over the article and i am very unsure what to think about archaeology. While I give you the greatest possible respect for the time and energy and thought that seems to have went into this, the thought continually crosses my mind. Wouldn't this be a better mini-game? It seems to me that Jagex is starting to turn to skills that really shouldnt be skills (such as hunting) and I believe summoning should have been lumped in with magic (though as a huge branch). I'm not saying we don't need new skills and off the top of my head I can't think of any that would best archaeology, but archaeology seems like one of those should really be a skill skills. So while it sounds terribly good, I'm still on the fence about this, I personally love history, even in real life, and I like to use up time at the museum in Varrock trying to find cool stuff, but still the thought remains, Shouldn't this be a mini-game (more like a mega-game)?

2pzzjb9.jpg

106px-National_Defense_Service_Medal_ribbon.svg.png106px-Navy_Rifle_Marksmanship_Ribbon.svg.png120px-USN_Expert_Pistol_Shot_Ribbon.png

God dammit Seany, STOP SHARING MY MIND

" I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin. I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... I'm a monster.What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

I have read/ skimmed over the article and i am very unsure what to think about archaeology. While I give you the greatest possible respect for the time and energy and thought that seems to have went into this, the thought continually crosses my mind. Wouldn't this be a better mini-game? It seems to me that Jagex is starting to turn to skills that really shouldnt be skills (such as hunting) and I believe summoning should have been lumped in with magic (though as a huge branch). I'm not saying we don't need new skills and off the top of my head I can't think of any that would best archaeology, but archaeology seems like one of those should really be a skill skills. So while it sounds terribly good, I'm still on the fence about this, I personally love history, even in real life, and I like to use up time at the museum in Varrock trying to find cool stuff, but still the thought remains, Shouldn't this be a mini-game (more like a mega-game)?

Well only you can decide what your opinion will be, but I do not think that it would be unacceptable to be a skill. In fact, this wouldn't really work as a minigame. I didn't make it that way. If it were a minigame then I'd have to get rid of most of the skill.

And the fact remains that over 75% of the current Runescape skills are not nearly as in depth and versatile as this.

We need a new skill, not a new minigame. Skills impact the game more than minigames, and as it stands, most minigames are played a few times by the general public and then never played again.

So my opinion is different than yours. That's ok, but I would never think twice about making this a minigame. It needs to be a skill to thrive and survive.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Nice idea. Definatly unique, very well thought out. I'll give this a 9.5/10. Nothing is perfect - but this is damn near close. And good luck with astrology. Bit hard of topic to make into an entire skill, but you'll find a way ::'

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
I wouldn't expect it but I wouldn't be suprised if it happened.

Quite an immature reason to not support something, so I guess your support isn't wanted anyway.

Just going to go ahead and be frank with that.

When are you going to learn that Jagex is not releasing any f2p skills? They've already made it very clear it's not happening. Members skills are THE biggest way to gain memberships. Why would they want to lose out on that?

A) Hi Callahan,

We will continue to develop the free game but just not at the same pace as the members game. The new skill for example will be both Free and Members.

We are also looking to do some game wide improvements which will naturally benefit all players.

Boom! Only 1-2 years later but I powned you. And yes, for this you can call me immature.

In fact, I do have some pancake mix.

2ic8sw5.png

Quite an immature reason to not support something, so I guess your support isn't wanted anyway.

When are you going to learn that Jagex is not releasing any f2p skills? They've already made it very clear it's not happening. Members skills are THE biggest way to gain memberships. Why would they want to lose out on that?

A) Hi Callahan,

We will continue to develop the free game but just not at the same pace as the members game. The new skill for example will be both Free and Members.

We are also looking to do some game wide improvements which will naturally benefit all players.

Boom! Only 1-2 years later but I powned you. And yes, for this you can call me immature.

Two years ago Andrew was head of Runescape and said several times that they were not planning to release free-to-play skills. At the time, no one expected Andrew to retire from his post, so really at the time you WERE wrong, and I was right, but due to certain circumstances the tables turned. Doesn't mean you powned me in anything.

And the sheer fact that you came back after all this time just to gloat and held onto what I said just shows the immaturity even more. :roll:

Oh, and finally, I didn't say you were immature for wanting a free skill. I said you were immature for not supporting something simply because it wasn't aimed at free players. If Jagex wanted something to be made specifically for free players I'd support in a second because I understand that sometimes we can't all get a piece of the pie. The skill Jagex is making is a free skill, this one (unless they're making archaeology) is NOT. To not support my idea, which has so much to offer for thousands upon thousands of players in runescape, is just showing how greedy you are. No need to drag down others if you can't have something. That's what children do.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

A) Hi Callahan,

Two years ago Andrew was head of Runescape and said several times that they were not planning to release free-to-play skills. At the time, no one expected Andrew to retire from his post, so really at the time you WERE wrong, and I was right, but due to certain circumstances the tables turned. Doesn't mean you powned me in anything.

And the sheer fact that you came back after all this time just to gloat and held onto what I said just shows the immaturity even more. :roll:

Oh, and finally, I didn't say you were immature for wanting a free skill. I said you were immature for not supporting something simply because it wasn't aimed at free players. If Jagex wanted something to be made specifically for free players I'd support in a second because I understand that sometimes we can't all get a piece of the pie. The skill Jagex is making is a free skill, this one (unless they're making archaeology) is NOT. To not support my idea, which has so much to offer for thousands upon thousands of players in runescape, is just showing how greedy you are. No need to drag down others if you can't have something. That's what children do.

For the first part I was there 2 years ago and maybe I just skipped over that part of all of his messages but I never saw him say there isn't gonna be any more f2p skills. If your so sure of that were are your quotes or links?

To the second part I know this is immature but I don't care.

For the third part I never said that you said that it was immature to want a f2p skill. For the part about it being childish to not support this skill thats just dumb. If somthing is not going to help me in any way shape or form I'm not going to support it. I never said I was against it and that I don't want it just because its members I said I won't support it. I'm not dragging members down, I'm just not helping them.

In fact, I do have some pancake mix.

2ic8sw5.png

[hide=]

A) Hi Callahan,

For the first part I was there 2 years ago and maybe I just skipped over that part of all of his messages but I never saw him say there isn't gonna be any more f2p skills. If your so sure of that were are your quotes or links?

To the second part I know this is immature but I don't care.

For the third part I never said that you said that it was immature to want a f2p skill. For the part about it being childish to not support this skill thats just dumb. If somthing is not going to help me in any way shape or form I'm not going to support it. I never said I was against it and that I don't want it just because its members I said I won't support it. I'm not dragging members down, I'm just not helping them.

[/hide]

You want me to procure something that I read on the official forums more than 2 years ago? Well I'm sorry if I sound unprepared to battle you in debate but I shouldn't have to do that. It was very known at the time and I know a lot of older players that I know would back me up on it. Andrew didn't have the same views on Runescape as Mark Gerhard does. Mark believe the free game to be a seperate game in its own right while Andrew did actually believe the game to be a taste of members, but he also believed that the free game in itself was large enough to be its own game. Mark Gerhard came and since then has adopted this "We're here to help everyone," attitude, which I am more than fine with, but his views are different than Andrew's were.

That being said, I don't know how you really expect me to take you seriously when you're openly being immature, and fully aware of it. I mean, that's fine, but what on earth are you trying to prove by coming back and doing the I-told-you-so song and dance? At the end of the day, there is a new skill, probably totally unrelated to my suggestion, that is both free and members. My idea is seperate, and that includes having my views of it being members only.

If you don't want to support, then fine, you won't be the first. My initial problem with you, especially after going back and refreshing my memory by reading what you wrote, is that you literally just trumped the whole idea because it wasn't free-to-play. You gave no constructive criticism, no positive feedback, no negative feedback on the idea itself, you just said, "Oh, it's not free-to-play. BAD. NEXT!"

I just think that's selfish. If Jagex said, "Hey! What do you think about making it so free-to-play players have their own minigame that can only be played on free worlds?" I would be totally supportive of it. The reason this skill isn't free-to-play is simply because I view skills as a way for Jagex to make money. If they start giving every new skill to free players (more than one, is what I'm saying) then they're going to lose out on some new members subscriptions they'd be getting if it were members only.

This is all I'm saying. No more wall of texts after this one for me. lol.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png