The Archaeology Skill - (Surprise on Page 26!)

Outsanity

[hide=Outsanity's Next Skill Spoiler]astroskilllogo.png

fullskilltable.png

With Archaeology being such a successful concept, I want to see if I can come up with yet another amazing skill idea. This is the beginning works of it. Yep, folks. Astronomy. How will I make it work? You'll have to wait quite some time to find out. I won't post it until I am absolutely sure it will be a hit. Watch this space. ;)[/hide]

I hope the new skill from u is coming along nicely i cannot wait for it

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if you are aware of this, but Blizzard may have completely jacked your idea for a skill.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm/features/

Archaeology. Yup, it is being released in the next expansion of WoW. Umm...I really think thats suspicous. Archaeology is a really goofy and creative idea, and I think it would be a huge coincidence if they ended up thinking of it on their own.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

• 2 months later...

Wow. I took a brief retirement from Runescape 6 months ago to go play WoW (Which, hate me or love me, I actually enjoy it a lot) and recently came back with the release of Dungeoneering. I decided for old time's sake I'd come swing by this thread to see how badly it has deteriorated, and, to my surprise, found that it is still actually on the front page. It seems my idea has lasted the test of time, even without me adding or improving the idea. This is amazing to me, and I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been keeping this idea alive since I left. It still has much potential and a chance to be added in game.

Interestingly enough, Dungeoneering was actually an idea by a player on the RSOF a LONG time back. I read it, and didn't like the concept, personally, but it was recieving a lot of good feedback. Now, over a year or two later, Jagex releases a skill very similar to that same idea I read on the forums. This gives me hope that maybe someday Archaeology will see it's way into the game's arms. Who knows.

Now, to clarify, I was working on Astronomy before I left, and then my laptop died and took all my information along with it, including Astronomy. I was very secretive about it because of the innovation surrounding the idea, but now that months later I have left you with nothing, I will give you the overall idea of what I was aiming for.

Astronomy was an idea based around being the "Skilling of Slayer." Ultimately, your goal was to discover and unlock cosmic portals hidden around Runescape, that would teleport you to otherworldly places where you would be able to complete assignments given to you by a Master Astronomer. While completing these tasks you would earn not only astronomy experience (for completing an entire task) but also the skilling experience. So if you had to fish 50 "Celestial Guppies" you would not only earn the (We'll throw out a random number here) 500 Astronomy experience after the task was complete, but also the fishing experience along the way.

The point I was aiming for in this idea was simple: Give more reason to skill using non-combat skills, while also adding rewards for almost every skill available. An example of this is the addition of celestial orange and white dragons, which would drop new dragonhide used to make new d'hide armor. Another example was the addition of new log types which could be fletched and crafted with to make new higher level bows as well as hunter traps which could capture multiple hunter creatures (of the same type) within them before needing to be opened.

Now, I can't make promises, but this idea is still a potential project for me. However, for me to be able to do it correctly, I have to re-introduce myself to the game and all of the new mechanics that have been released since I left. Once I do this, and I feel comfortable throwing out suggestions for game improvement, I may pick my skill idea up once more. In the meantime, should you see Astronomy somewhere else, with the same or similar concept to what you've read above, you know that person probably read this and took my idea. While I can't say they aren't allowed to do that, I will say this:

They won't make it as good as I will. ;)

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

Well it just goes to show you my idea can never be too perfect for my tastes. After reading through again, I spotted a major flaw in my design that ultimately I just couldn't live with. Originally, with rock samples dug up from SES's, you still needed the overall Arch level to clean them, so Giant samples retrieved from al kharid (level 23 to excavate) would only be able to be cleaned at level 75+. I realize now how broken that concept was, as by level 75 the miniscule rewards from that particular SES would not be worth it to an Archaeologist. The section has been changed and revived to quote the following:

Also, in these spots, you are able to get all sizes of rock samples, as long as you meet the base level requirement. Keep in mind, however, that if you only have the base level needed when digging in a SES, you will most commonly get Small Rock Samples. To get the larger samples more commonly, you will need a higher Archaeology level. Furthermore, you will be able to clean all sizes of rock samples found from an SES as long as you meet the minimum required level to excavate from that SES. However, the lower your Archaeology level, the higher the chance you have to accidentally break the rock sample during the cleaning process, recieving no loot as a result. It is often suggested to hold onto your larger SES rock samples until a higher level to reduce the chances of destroying them. Should you choose to do this, do not worry about rock samples mixing in your bank. All rock samples have a level in parenthesis next to their name to identify which SES they originated from. For example, a large sample obtained from Al Kharid would be called "Large Rock Sample (Level 23)."

What this means is essentially Archaeologists won't feel they are being gypped out of immediate rewards by digging at SES's but also means should they choose to wait longer to clean the samples they will have a better chance of successfully recieving loot. I feel this is a fair way to balance out this new concept with the old one. Let me know your thoughts on this. I am always up for ideas.

P.S. I also added the experienced gained for cleaning all SES rock samples, which oddly enough, I had forgotten to add in the original draft. Enjoy.

EDIT: So I also realized that with the new forum server change, somehow all the lines in my guide were doubled. So I went through and backspaced about a million times so that the original (almost) format of the guide is now restored. This should help you in reading, as it is no longer confusing and information that should be grouped together, is.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

• 1 month later...
Stegosaurus The plated lizard

Summoning Level 72

Needed to Summon Gold Charm + Preserved Plate + Ancient Bone + 19 Spirit Shards

Summoning Experience Gained 105

Fights Level 132

Combat Type Defense

Timer 59 Minutes

Experience for Summoning/Scroll Use 3

Special Abilities Can be used as a chisel and a saw (Adds right click option to chiseled items), +3 Visible Crafting Boost

Max Hit 16

Scroll Ability Herb Processor 20 Move Points Turns Clean Guam Herbs into Grimy Torstol Herbs.

I think that may be a little over powered now considering guams are 500gp and torstol are 30k ea, thats a 6000% increase in profit - turn 500k into 30m in like an hour? Needs fixing :D as far as i got so far ill see what else i can find :mrgreen:

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

Support but i don't like your monster ideas for summoning. For one some of the monsters are just to ordinary. You learn about them in kidergarden in the sand box. If you at least used some of the freakier dino's like drago rex hogwartsia to give it more of a runescape feel. That and... wyverns!! It would be nice to find out what they were like before they were turned into walking piles of bones.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

• 2 weeks later...

I know I've said I've supported this before (I'm # 257) but I'll say it again! I SUPPORT IT 110%!!! Way better than dungeoneering, dungeoneering feels more like a mini game to me than a skill :\

archsupportei2.png I Support Archaeology Skill 110%!

nito_rpg.png

Your Gaming Informer,

NitoRPG

• 2 weeks later...
Interestingly enough, Dungeoneering was actually an idea by a player on the RSOF a LONG time back. I read it, and didn't like the concept, personally, but it was recieving a lot of good feedback. Now, over a year or two later, Jagex releases a skill very similar to that same idea I read on the forums. This gives me hope that maybe someday Archaeology will see it's way into the game's arms. Who knows.

There was another one? I remember you and I debating on this forum about a skill I suggested that had a lot in common with Dungeoneering except I called it Venturing. Damn, and I thought I was being original. :(

Well, like you said, at least we know Jagex is taking the players' ideas of new skills into account. I don't play RS anymore, but I do have to say new skills were always a lot of fun when they came out.

• 3 weeks later...

I support! Very well thought out, I hope jagex visits tipit too :rolleyes:

I think the wyvern place would be a good place for a SES, the loot should be stuff like water runes, soul runes, wyvern, big, dragon and normal bones, and a secondary ingedient for a spirit wyvern familiar, I don't like it that the familiars are just dinosaurs.

dumb.png

archsupportei2.png

if there was a support button, i would be clikcing it so many times

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

i bump this cuase i love it

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

Someone needs to throw the sharp knife of reality into Op's inflated ego. Good grief.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

• 1 month later...

this is the most epic thread evaaaaa to bad im not a member and if jagex does not implimet this i shall *********************************************************pie****************************************loflberry pie********************************all year long!!!

Anybody can punch someone it takes guts to slap them

someone once said the f2p combat triamgle was 2% mages 13% rangers and 85% melerss.

I said no its 2% allies 13% anoying gnats and 85% walking dartboards with bronze daggers

mod poppy said:

Siciliae - posting about jumping into bathtubs with electrical equipment is not really cool.

Can you edit it out of any further iterations of your spam, er, I mean message.

archsupportei2.png

tagline1.gif

• 3 weeks later...