Which portable media player? (Christmas Present)

lawrencekill

New generation of Zunes come out in October, look into those when they come out.

I have the original zune, it has an FM radio, it's extremely durable, and the sound quality is arguably better than iPod (I'm sure it is).

On a forum for zune-ers, someone posted about them trying to break the hardware in the zune by throwing it around and stepping on it to get the warrantee $ back, and ended up pouring alcohol inside it.

I've dropped mine countless times from my bed, in the car, on the bus, and I haven't had any physical damage to it at all, nor technical.

1z2zrwo.jpg

I've got a Sansa m240, and it is good. FM radio, mic for recording, it's small, lightweight, and durable. I've had it since Christmas 06 and it is working fine. I've only caused serious damage to the screen because I was stupid and sat with it pressed by the armrest on a flight for 2 hours. It broke the screen.

My only complaints are the Storage space, and the headphones. I've gone through 3 or 4 or 5 pairs of earbuds in 8 months or so. As for storage space, it's $50 for the 1 GB M240. I THINK the 4GB Sansa m250 is like..$100 or so.

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg

New generation of Zunes come out in October, look into those when they come out.

I have the original zune, it has an FM radio, it's extremely durable, and the sound quality is arguably better than iPod (I'm sure it is).

On a forum for zune-ers, someone posted about them trying to break the hardware in the zune by throwing it around and stepping on it to get the warrantee $ back, and ended up pouring alcohol inside it.

I've dropped mine countless times from my bed, in the car, on the bus, and I haven't had any physical damage to it at all, nor technical.

If you get a Belkin case, the thing is damned near indestructable.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

i have the zen vision m.

it looks cool, only slightly thicker than an ipod video.

it has an FM radio

easy navigation

I have had it for i think 2 years and its still fine.

doesnt freeze up much like ipod

and not that you care, the video quality is amazing. 4x better than the ipod.

Look its rob!

I'd have to go with a Creative Zen or the one I suggested. My friend had a Zen for a good year or 2..never experienced problems, ever. The ONLY time it was damaged, and had to be replaced, was when my OTHER friend was smart enough to put the battery in backwards and turn it on. It heated the thing up, and pretty much destroyed it.

But it lasted that long, no problems.

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg

I'd go with a Creative Zen as you don't have to use iTunes and such and I find it way easier to use. The only thing is that it's hard to find accessories for anything Creative Zen. But other than that, I am happy with my Zen Vision M.

well today at 11:30 am 14 years ago i was born.. wo0t!!!
At 11:30 you should start holding your head underwater wo0t!!!
Stop acting such a moron.

I personally love my iPod. It doesn't have technical issues, and is compatible with Windows and Mac (through the free iTunes store).

One thing about it that I do not like though, is that at least once a year Apple releases a better version of it that I want (like the iPod touch).

I personally really like Apple products and trust them when it comes to computer software and other products.

~Rcty

Rcty

some people have had problems with ipods, but if you get one, get the extended warranty and you will have NO problems whatsoever. All the tech support is located in California, so they speak English, and I have never had a problem getting one fixed. My brother had one of the original ipods, and after about 2 1/2 years, it started to act up. He called them, and they sent him a new one (new and of the same, older generation), which also acted up. Then he called them again, and they said they would send him a new one, don't even worry about sending the old one back. So they sent him a BRAND NEW 80 gig Ipod video in the mail. Great deal, considering the first one he had didn't have a color screen.

If you get a Belkin case, the thing is damned near indestructable.

I think it's near indestructable as is. I forgot to mention, I had my Zune in a cupholder when I had my car accident. The police found it under God knows where but it wasn't broken, the screen wasn't cracked or scratched more than before, and it works like new. The only thing that happened was the "lock" switch was a little sticky for a while but it's loosened up again with use. That thing hit the dashboard at 50 mph and didn't get a single scratch.. Don't f*ck with Microsoft :ohnoes:

I would stick with an ipod I bought a zune last april and it already has problems freezing/headphones not working and there considerably bigger and less reliable in my expirence compared to ipods

Just an average player with a horrible name...

I would stick with an ipod I bought a zune last april and it already has problems freezing/headphones not working and there considerably bigger and less reliable in my expirence compared to ipods

Mine had a problem with freezing too. I finally figured out the file it kept trying to play was corrupt so it would just lock up while it tried to play it, but eventually would give up and throw me an error message. I basically just had to delete the file and download a new one and it works just fine. Basically, if the song doesn't have a length next to it on the software, it won't play on your Zune. And yeah, the headphones break easily. my cord wore out in just a few months but that's because I wrapped the headphones around the Zune. However, the sound quality of the headphones that come with the Zune is very nice. I'd say they're some of the best headphones I've ever used.

Download the latest firmware and the freezing issue will never happen again, unless it's a corrupt file in the first place.

The headphones that came with the Zune were amazing, but I replaced mine with Bose headphones. The absolute best headphones I've gotten with an MP3 player was from my Sony Discman MiniDisc from about 4 years ago. It still works, but I use it as a portable hard drive.

Ghetto blaster.

532733828_67a01b5f2e.jpg

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Get an Iriver X20 8Gig. Has radio, movies, SD card slot, recordings, pictures, has a better battery life than ipod, plus you don't have to send the ipod back to apple to replace the battery. Plus it's cheaper.

Iriver > *

I'd say go with Zen. I've had two; the first one broke, because I kept dropping it. Fortunately I was able to trade it in for store credit, and upgraded to a far better model for $20 extra (photos, videos, colour screen, 10 more gigabytes of space). I keep dropping my new one, but it hasn't crapped out...yet.

The only things then Zen hasn't got going for it are the headphones and customer service. I've had three pairs of Zen headphones (admittedly, the first broke because a computer chair rolled over them) and all three have crapped out on me. The first pair (before they were crushed) stopped working in the left headphone, same goes for my next two pairs.

The customer service was not very good in my opinion; ~two months spent e-mailing them for help, only for them to say "Sorry, can't help."

So I'd definitely recommend Zen, just get a decent pair of headphones and try not to use customer support. Honestly, it was almost as bad as Telstra.

One of those new Ipod Nanos would be nice. There is no point in the video feature, but the nano is really compact and you can grip it in your fist.

Currently: F2P averaging 35k exp range per day

4 months till 99 range.(july) =/

99 Range achieved 6/21/07

Well, I think I'm leaning a bit on the Creative Zen side as opposed to the iPod.

Does anyone have good websites where they have a comparison between different Creative Zens and another between comparisons of different iPods(Pretty familiar with iPod vid, nano, mini, etc. so not really needed).

I already have an MP3 with 512 MB of memory, but I'm getting a Sony Ericson walkman phone with an MP3 player built in for Christmas, it has nowhere near the amount of memory my MP3 has, but I desperately need a new phone.

My legions of fans:

thestigclipboard.png