Boss monster: All having 255HP?

Zepheras

Don't you think that boss fights would be more exciting if bosses have more HP (think 1500HP bandos!! :twisted: ) It's sad that most of them can be solo'ed, making boss monsters not even anything near bossy. So, I'm wondering if there's a reason behind this limitation in HP? :-s

EDIT: Ok, so the limitation has something to do with integers and coding...

So suppose the limit isn't there, do you want higher HP boss monsters?

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

If true, it's a technical engine limitation. 255 is the largest integer that can be represented by an 8-bit number (including zero).

Frankly, I don't think it's a big deal. Can the GWD bosses be soloed? Sure, but it's COMPLETELY time-ineffective, so there's no point in doing it aside from being able to say "I soloed a GWD boss". Why do you think they put in the "kill 40 monsters" requirement? Specifically to stop people from soloing.

Plenty of other ways to make bosses difficult.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

If true, it's a technical engine limitation. 255 is the largest integer that can be represented by an 8-bit number (including zero).

Frankly, I don't think it's a big deal. Can the GWD bosses be soloed? Sure, but it's COMPLETELY time-ineffective, so there's no point in doing it aside from being able to say "I soloed a GWD boss". Why do you think they put in the "kill 40 monsters" requirement? Specifically to stop people from soloing.

=D>

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

=D>

=D> =D>

VIX VIX VIX

Don't you think that boss fights would be more exciting if bosses have more HP (think 1500HP bandos!! :twisted: ) It's sad that most of them can be solo'ed, making boss monsters not even anything near bossy. So, I'm wondering if there's a reason behind this limitation in HP? :-s

Not even anything near bossy... So what you're saying you could kill a boss just as easy as a goblin in lumbridge?

It is a boss, you don't survive there without a set up.

Retired

Ex-E174

Ex-Venqeance

[Ex-Tha Familia3]

Actually the limitation is fine as it is. I don't feel like fighting a runescape version of Yiazmat. :notalk:

Mhm, +1 to that, besides if you want more HP for a boss Jagex can do something like the KQ, possibly with more forms. Or... just make a boss with uber defense.

I would've thought that the boss monster HP would be representative its level. Just seems weird that it's limited by a mechanism in coding rather than it being their idea of not making high HP monsters.

They can't make the monster deal too much damage if not it'll be like a suicide team VS boss fight. And making def higher is the same as making the HP higher: drag the fight longer.

Well I know nuts about programming, but since bank items don't have a limitation of 255, can that be applied to make higher HP monsters?

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Actually the limitation is fine as it is. I don't feel like fighting a runescape version of Yiazmat. :notalk:

Mhm, +1 to that, besides if you want more HP for a boss Jagex can do something like the KQ, possibly with more forms. Or... just make a boss with uber defense.

Good point. And just FYI, Yiazmat isn't hard either, just takes forever. I don't want to sit down for 3 hours to fight a boss in RS that a group of level 70s can end up killing too. :(

I would've thought that the boss monster HP would be representative its level. Just seems weird that it's limited by a mechanism in coding rather than it being their idea of not making high HP monsters.

They can't make the monster deal too much damage if not it'll be like a suicide team VS boss fight. And making def higher is the same as making the HP higher: drag the fight longer.

Well I know nuts about programming, but since bank items don't have a limitation of 255, can that be applied to make higher HP monsters?

Yes it can, it'd just involve changing the variable type. However I expect it'd be a lot more difficult than that depending on why this value is set how it is in the first place. Things such as the KQ show how Jagex can get around this limitation without having to go deep into their code to change it.

=D>

=D>

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=708229

Use the search button, it's your friend.

Just a heads up, tipits search engine is horrible. If he put in his title it would come up buying d long, favorite holiday drop, and a guide to f2p merchanting :?

clansig7.gif

Moved this to H&A since your question is if there is a reason behind the limitation.

Discussion about the Bosses can be done in the thread above.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=708229

Use the search button, it's your friend.

A level 2535 twelve-headed dragon isn't going to impress anyone with its 255 HP.

And that was a discussion about boss monsters with bigger levels (and hence you would think that it's harder to kill). No doubt they can make one, but they can't make it too offensive (notice that 85 max hit isn't going to work well on your HP....)

Besides, suppose they can work past the 255HP limit, and come up with maybe a 400HP, dropping a dragon kite. How many people are going to say "OMG that's so uncool and WoW-like, I'lm NEVER gonna touch it!!" It's more likely that you see people forming bigger groups to fight it.

And it's just another option, catering to people who like higher HP, higher level monsters with better drops. :-s I mean people are always aiming to deal higher damage with better weapons, you wish to keep boss monsters HP to keep at 255 forever?

Zepheras.png

-F1775