1980 Firebird 4.9L Turbo Formula

yaff2

if this is the wrong forum, please move it.

One of my friend, bought a 1980 Z28, and i was telling my other buddy about it, then showed him a picture, and he said to me, " we have one of those in my junkyard" my jaw dropped! So i started getting Very interested in it, i was asking alot of questions. My main one, was, "would you sell it" he was sure he could, although it is his uncles.

He took a look at it, and found, its not a Z28 Camaro, its a Firebird. so i researched, and researched, to try and find a year. i found out its a 1980 Firebird, with a 4.9l turbo formula.

I asked him on a price, a rough guess, and he said, " i dont know, maybe for free" once again my jaw dropped. So, few days later, i went to his place, and checked this car out. the outer body is in pretty nice condition, the interior, its BAD, it has the engine, with 70,000 ORIGINAL KM on it (about) i soon got VERY attracted to this car.

As the days went by, i looked all over the internet, to try and find out as much as i can about this car. i found out. that its a very rare car, only 1253 made (the 1980 TURBO formula) the Turbo is what makes it so rare.

I got my buddy to ask his uncle on a price, not willing to pay over $200, because it would not be worth it.

a few days later, he emails me saying, i talked yo my uncle, and he wants $50 for it (i almost died of shock) and he doesnt think its worth it, because it needs new floor boards.

Sure, new floorboard's will be alot more work. but when this car is restored it will be worth it right?

i replied, very fast, saying i would take it.

This car, is not only a Muscle car, but its VERY nice IMO my dream is to own a muscle car, and what do you know, im getting one for $50. Sure, it needs ALOT of work, but in the end it will be worth it.

Here are some pictures of the car. (let me know what you think, if its worth it, if you like it, anything) i know lot of people will say its not worth it, because of the condish it is in atm. but, if people with respect for muscle cars, will know this feeling im going through.

[hide= 11 Pictures of the car. no engine shot. Large files.]

DSC01868.jpg

DSC01871.jpg

DSC01876.jpg

DSC01875.jpg

DSC01878.jpg

DSC01869.jpg

DSC01874.jpg

DSC01883.jpg

DSC01872.jpg

[/hide]

sotwbar7.png

sig-1.png

1980 Berlinetta with a 350, bored, mild cam, intake carb, headers, exhaust

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That car needs an infinite amount of work, but it will be more fun and rewarding than burst-my-balloonescape

Dont get too excited about the price though, it may look like gold to you but it is trash to everyone else (one mans treasure...)

But follow your dreams, its great to build an appreciation/affinity for cars and machinery when you are young, and learn some lessons the hard way. its hard to believe that cars are pretty much the pinnacle of the 20th century and you can pick one up (in any condition) for 50 bucks.

NICKELEY102.png

if the engine runs, it's definitely worth 50 bucks. if not, it might be worth $50 in scrap.

Dont run that i know of. but it would still be worth more than $50

Nick.

Yeah, it will be one of thoes car you wont get to drive till your 40, but think of the. I restored this car, i did it, feeling, ya know, it will be plenty rewarding yep.

And yeah, i knew people would look at it and say, JUNK. but i look at it and see, Potential! :P just alot of work to get that Potential.

Craig.

I totally agree, it will be one of thoes car you wont get to drive till your 40, but think of the. I restored this car, i did it, feeling, ya know?, it will be plenty rewarding

Thanks.

Nice car, lots of potential, lots of work. but yep. will be plenty rewarding.

sotwbar7.png

sig-1.png

Haha, my mom drove a 1980 Firebird...

Lol, cept this one would be to much for her hah, jk, but it has potential to be a realyl powerful car.

sotwbar7.png

sig-1.png

Whoa. Nice find, although that appears to be beyond repair, but if the engine is rebuildable and the parts salvagable then that would be awesome.

Have fun tinkering!

Well, theres no such thing as beyond repair, you just have to have the money. and alot of time

as for the engine, i plan on swapping it for a 350 anyways. maybe something bigger, i was goign to drop my 454 into it, but the 454 top end isnt very good. so yeah, 454 more power than speed. and i want both. the 350 will give me both

But, it will just take alot of money and time to get this car in good condish.

sotwbar7.png

sig-1.png

I don't know... the car looks pretty rusted. You should try and find another firebird and just part this car out. That car doesn't look like it would hold very long unless you pumped a lot of money into it. But thats just my opinion. You should see if you can get the engine running, since it is the original.

Not one of my favorite cars, but a good one regardless. You have a lot of work there, but you were off to a good start by doing your research, as if you continue to do so the car will end up very nicely. If you know someone that does this type of work professionally, get them to help you, as if the car turns out looking (and driving) professionally done, then I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to sell it for 50K. Just keep as many parts as you can, and get the #'s on the car- i have seen cars go for almost 10k more because they know which # car it is.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

NO offense, but thats look like a piece of crap. Especially inside the seats are all ripped and such. IT looks like a dangerous car to ride lol, maybe if you put in 500 bucks or so to it, you can make it look nicer...

I wouldn't pay more then 20 bucks for that

--Quit--(As of December 22th, 2007)

Yeah.

As for the people talking about the rust, the body, isnt rusted really, a few spots that can be sanded out..

martinisback

NO offense, but thats look like a piece of crap. Especially inside the seats are all ripped and such. IT looks like a dangerous car to ride lol, maybe if you put in 500 bucks or so to it, you can make it look nicer...

I wouldn't pay more then 20 bucks for that

you obviously know nothing about cars.

you obviously know nothing about Muscle cars

Most of them have to be restored completely, and if i dropped 500 into it, it wouldnt look any diff lmao, for it to be nicer, run great, and an awesome car, try, 20 - 30 grand lmao

NO offense, but dont come in here, thinking you know what your talking about, and then come in and make a fool of your self.

sotwbar7.png

sig-1.png

I lean more toward mustangs, but that isn't bad for 50 bucks. Still though, that's a crapload of work to be done.

yeah, i like stangs more too, but, if you had a choice, This firebird, or nothing, :P besides its a kick [wagon] car.

You'll have to make a blog and post a link to it to keep us updated how your work on it is going. Could be pretty interesting.

I might. maybe

sotwbar7.png

sig-1.png