Tip.it Times Presents: Remembering the Good ol' Days.

MPM

Althought a few noobs i get annoyed with, i also get annoyed with high lvl players such as myself, it really depends on the player themselves, not the combat label they possess.

And also people left England for a better life, indeed they did not think of England only, and it wasn't only the youth traveling to America, however having said that i understand the point you were trying to make.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

many meat pies ago (years) when bronze was in fashion i earned my first wage packet at the bronze simmy respwan in rimmy. waiting pacintly at the store across the road to get top doller. having aquired a bankroll i set of for vorrok to spend it .on my way i was attacked by a goblin and lost the lot (3k) .........nostalgia is good means uv been there

burrrppp

On any forum, we see a lot of comments about how RuneScape was better a long time ago, or how Jagex ran it better in the past, or how updates used to be better, etc. It's strange that, no matter how much RuneScape may have "gone downhill", there's a growing number of people playing it and having a great time, including a lot of us. Indeed, maybe RuneScape hasn't been ruined at all!

true

i still say RS was, for the most part, better back in da good old days

however we still got to understand that some thing have gone for the better. it seems that the only problem was that now all the players are like 10 year old idiots that think they're better than us just cause they got rich parents that don't give whether or not they waste 5 bucks and alot of time of their youth on a computer

sure..

i was young when i started too. but my parents wanted me to accually enjoy my childhood. i did only playing every so often

i miss the good old days when people were nice whether 10 or 40 years old. and everyone was mature enough to not call lvl 3s and 4s noobs when they're just trying to understand. i look at some of the kids my age and people a few years down and i see that they're becoming worse and worse(i'm talking about real life too)

+ i think everyone misses when there were like 200-700 people in every world, maked mining and most skills much easier

yewbotssmallqu7.png

siggy6yx3.png

Great read, i love all your articles. Every single time i read a article of yours, i sit on edge reading it, absorbing every word, then again i do that with all my readings but i really do enjoy yours. Also i found a spelling error, i thought i should bring to your attention, maybe you'd want to edit it? i dont know:).

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅOh, cÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢mon, I wasnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t that lame was I was his levelÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

as far as the change from the "old days" to the current there is a HUGE difference in the game play and the attitude.

Look at it this way.

Old days -- skills were SO much harder to lvl. So a high lvl in anything was a great accomplishment. There wasn't 20 thousand people with 99 in a single skill.

Current days -- Skills have become so much easier with the "make all" option , or the fact one click and you can fill your inventory.

There has always been a "look down your nose" attitude from older to younger in anything no matter what it is. Real life or in games. And in my opinion there will always be that attitude.

With Runescape for example attitudes of players is COMPLETELY different now then it was back in the "old days" higher lvl players were ALWAYS well respected. nowadays there are so many damn lvl 126 I see new ones on multiple cases every day.Back in the "old days" if you saw a high lvl player it was like WOW , now you look and go heh someone who popped out of the woodwork and move on.

I used to be one of those "high" lvl players back in the "old days" and have done alot in the early stages of Runescape for players and the game. so to me the old days are what matters to me. Now there are so many people who are maxed in some skill getting it is only a big deal to the person getting it. Whereas back in the "old days" me getting 74 range in mid 2001 was a HUGE serverwide deal. and now anyskill lvling is like oh well there goes another one.

Maybe it is the fact that the community was closer back then , maybe it was just there was less people but noone will ever be able to answer this with exact truth. But ask yourself this...

If the game was still in the "old days" method ask yourself this.

How many 99 skill players would there be ?

How many people would STILL be playing?

dravensigki6.jpg

Started January 2001

as far as the change from the "old days" to the current there is a HUGE difference in the game play and the attitude.

Look at it this way.

Old days -- skills were SO much harder to lvl. So a high lvl in anything was a great accomplishment. There wasn't 20 thousand people with 99 in a single skill.

Current days -- Skills have become so much easier with the "make all" option , or the fact one click and you can fill your inventory.

There has always been a "look down your nose" attitude from older to younger in anything no matter what it is. Real life or in games. And in my opinion there will always be that attitude.

With Runescape for example attitudes of players is COMPLETELY different now then it was back in the "old days" higher lvl players were ALWAYS well respected. nowadays there are so many damn lvl 126 I see new ones on multiple cases every day.Back in the "old days" if you saw a high lvl player it was like WOW , now you look and go heh someone who popped out of the woodwork and move on.

I used to be one of those "high" lvl players back in the "old days" and have done alot in the early stages of Runescape for players and the game. so to me the old days are what matters to me. Now there are so many people who are maxed in some skill getting it is only a big deal to the person getting it. Whereas back in the "old days" me getting 74 range in mid 2001 was a HUGE serverwide deal. and now anyskill lvling is like oh well there goes another one.

Maybe it is the fact that the community was closer back then , maybe it was just there was less people but noone will ever be able to answer this with exact truth. But ask yourself this...

+1

Shaniqua.png

Nice article, but... correct me if I'm wrong, most immigration from the British Isles to the Americas actually came from Ireland following the Great Potato Famine during the 1840s; and most in south-western Ireland (which was hit hardest by the Famine) certainly did not think about England. In fact, England was actually a magnet for immigration following the expansion of the Industrial Revolution, not a source of migrant workers.

As another has said before me, I'm a bit... offended by your generalization that the youth are ignorant of what their elders have to say. That may be true for some, or even most young people. But that is certainly not true for all. To use an example from History, Alexander didn't become 'Great' by ignoring the lessons Aristotle taught him during the start of his reign of Macedonia.

I don't exactly agree with the article, but the generalizations stated by the editor are at least generalizations. The editor saying "Many romans were unhappy" makes more sense then someone saying "the editor is wrong, Romans didn't think like that". No one, Editor or tip.iter, knows the exact thoughts of cultures past, thats why there are generalizations.

Also, Ginger, two points. First off the Potato Famine was in 1849 and the editor was talking about what, the late 1700s? I'm sure there were a few British immigrating regardless of the year anyways, it's not like only the Irish immigrated to the United States. Also, sure Alexander may have listened to Aristotle but how come Aristotle was so different than Plato? How come Plato was so different from Socrates? Do you think Plato was pleased that Aristotle didn't follow in Plato's footsteps and instead worked with a separate branch of Philosophy? If anything the lineage of Socrates - > Alexander tells us that the young don't like to follow in their elder's footsteps.

On an offensive note, it does seems that the articles have been more hastily done as of late. There is also less and less talk about Runescape in its actuality, strange for a newspaper named after a Runescape website <.<

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

It didn't impress me.

The tone was strictly informal (people do this, people think that, blah, blah, blah...) and nearly rant-like: "What is it with nostalgia?" almost sounded like, "What is it with noobs these days?".

A few notable errors:

Every day in Runescape you hear someone say, ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅYou know, back in the dayÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâæÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Look at it this way.

+1

great article, i didnt really link to it though tbh (started mid 2003 :oops: ) i think Draven has a good point....make it +2 ::'

89rz98x.gif87404l4.gif

Not a bad article :)

So true... I get sick of older player reminising about "good o'l RSC" its getting irritating :x .

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

I pretty much agree with that, but I think it is possible for young people to appreciate history. Its a complicated predicament because some things get worse while other things get better. I don't think anyone should be sentimental for the past, but instead learn from the past, and the present, in order to create a better future.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

Not a bad article :)

So true... I get sick of older player reminising about "good o'l RSC" its getting irritating :x .

Irritating is those "younger" runescape players such as yourself who don't appreciate what us "older players" have done for you to bring this game to what it is now.

Without people like myself , Broken646 , Kobiianardo , Graffixetette , Isra , ( as much as I hated him ) RobinHood2 ranging in the lesser caves back in the "good ol days" range would not have become as popular as it had grown. It wasn't until people saw how good those of us were getting with our range that people said hey , range works.

You may say it is irritating on us saying we miss the old days but without our "old days" things you "younger" players would have nothing. Where would your precious party hats be without us older players , or those santa hats people are buying. To put it simply without us "older" players looking back on those days there would be nothing.

Hell there would be no HIGH lvl smithing if it were not for people like me and many others in the old days who had to fight to keep the high lvl smithable items in the game. Yes I am sure many of you newer players knew Jagex took out the high lvl rune items out of the smithing list for a little while because it originally was not meant to be smithed. So those rune 2hands , plates , battle axes , kites that your enjoying being smithed now you may thank us "older" players for them still being smithable. There was going to be no other items after rune until this came to be. Dragon was not even a consideration then.

So instead of sitting there and saying man these people are irritating look at it from our point of view. How would you like it to have someone 5 6 or even 7 years ( as it is for some of us now ) to look back at this time and say wow these guys are annoying talking about back when they had first got that Godsword. To some of us older players it is like the newer age of the game is taking advantage of what we had helped build and don't care. And to us .... that is well to put it blunt ... Irritating

dravensigki6.jpg

Started January 2001

=D> Well said Draven. It's not about looking down on anyone. Its about how hard we worked to get the lvls we got before everything went soft. Even the most recent change with the assist option, geez now what's the drive of getting those lvls when u can sponge off someone else's hard work. :shame:

Yes you can go on and say that the higher lvls benefits from it too (as little as it might be) but where has the incentive gone?

Ppl maxing out on skills in less than 2 weeks. Heck I quit RS for two years and in that time I have met several ppl who started apparently when I quit that are lvl 126. The softness of the game has made the top lvl players not that important anymore. There no feeling of complishment because its too easy too get there now.

So what is there left to hype about, not the current players and their lvls but the past when it took months to lvl. Those were complishments to brag about.

Wow! I could not agree more strongly. I am sick to death of people lamenting about how everything was so much better in "the good old days" or "the golden age", "everyone was so much nicer". It's just so tedious. Tell me all the tales you want about RSC, I am always curious, but please spare me the . In real life as well, when old people talk about "In the good old days I would go out and work all day" or "in the good old days we didn't have to rely on computers". Sometimes I feel people are just trying to appear special by talking about "ye old days".

On the other hand, I often times go back to "my first mining site", listen to "newbie melody" or such things for the sake of reminding myself (not lamenting about) the past. I value what I consider "the good old days", but I don't brag towards others about my experiences. I will, occasionally, tell some tales but it's just for the sake of information.

I guess what really matters is how we deal with changes. For runescape, I don't mind changes, even if they don't play in my favor because I just know I'll get use to them eventually. That isn't true for the generic ranters that hate an update for being a change they didn't expect. I think the people who lament about the "good old days" are the first to rant about updates when they come out.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

I came from RS classic and upgraded my character when RS came out

things were not better or worse in the old days - just different

Mining was a nightmare - right click, select "mine" and it may fail - each time it failed you had to click

Fishing as the same as above

XP was much slower to get as (i think) you only got double the level value of a monster - so a level 50 monster would give u 100xp

Article was right though - higher levels do look down on lower levels (apart from my goodself) and i'm not sure why. Think its an ego thing

Wherever you go, there you are

You think this is a good article? What, does your normal reading criterea primarily include a nutrition chart (which definitely held more information than this), because this was pathetic.

First of all it stated no sourced and had a very 'it's Christmas, let's kiss and make-up' attitude. This and the writer's unjustly comparison with semi-senile elderly with players that have dedicated well over five years of experience, has caused this little rant on my part.

Who am I to say such a thing?

I am Isra's son - I introduced the game to her. I started playing just before the introduction of fishing as a skill, before adamantine battle-axes were released in Port Sarim, and I think sometime after the Delrith was released. When PvP included killing people in the Varrock streets (which immediately dropped the possessions of the killed with everyone able to vulture).

I quit playing when Isra shadowed my character's level - but I never stopped watching her play, and had her keep me updated. I've seen and heard everything. I've been around.

Now one complaint has always come from the good old days. Quit catering to lower players, the game system was fine and worked for the older players. There were even large protest trains created - but Jagex felt that in order to attract newer players, that this action made perfect sense. This 'catering' has devalued a person's ability to level and gain social repoire - simply it has become TOO EASY for the (I won't be shy with using this word) newbies to level.

There is no respect anymore. People buy and sell accounts, people immerse themselves in guides and bots instead of earning anything themselves, and it is a disgusting time to see such people claim to be better than everyone else.

This is why you're wary, and we're wary, of triple-digit players - it's hard to say who's earned what.

One thing's for sure. I'll be damned if I'll respect that lvl 63 in dragon plate, before I witness someone more fitting to wear armor of such prestige. Then again, however, level doesn't matter when everything's given on a silver platter.

There was AWE in the old days when ancients like Bluerose13x mistress of smithing(of which there were hundreds of scammer look-a-likes), Alchemon the fighter, Muahahaha (spelling) the priest, and etcetera - there was awe. People begged just to screenshot next to them, swooned if they were addressed directly.

So am I 'lamenting,' YES. Not without good cause though. I'm not asking that everything go back to the way it was - you should just take due look at yourself and realize what you've become.

Do you dance with all your best armor in newbie towns?

Do you even have an idea of Runescape's past?

Do you remember the darker times? (1-day chat filter, knife hack exploit, the blackhole of no return)

Then why should the younger generation, right? I mean they can gain their levels in a week in what would take you three months.

This article was rediculous, we shouldn't just simply forget the many wrongs that are still occuring. The writer didn't make any specific examples, and even used irrelevant history to bemuse readers. If you all think this is a good article, agree with the writer, then you are a noob - because simply, this is what the article was biased towards. "Screw the elderly and their misings, who cares anyway?"

You all disgust me. I'd rather have never levelled a point past 50 than be associated with the younger generation. But make one thing sure, if you're at the wrong end of a demon whip - don't complain, because Runescape staff might listen.

Do not judge a book by its cover.

I really enjoyed that article. :)

To be honest though, I don't think the good old days were in fact good old days lol.

Remember these....

* No banks (just what you could carry in your inventory)

* Sleeping (to recover from mining)

* No experience indicators (just levels were visible, so you had no idea how far you had to go to the next level)

LOL, I think RS is better now than it's ever been even though it's being partially ruined by immaturity.

Harrington.gif

Rome = Runescape

Interesting concept.

I think the only constant over the years has been that people are the same now as they were then. Whether complaining about holiday drops, or begging, there has been little change as far as the players themselves are concerned. (And of course the great friendships that are made)

On the other hand, the game has changed considerably. It HAD too. Once Jagex introduced "members" to the world, they had to constantly update the game or it would fail. (As does every game in the world that is successful) While some of can remember some good times in the old version, all in all, the game has improved considerably. I can certainly remember some good times in the new version of the game as well.

When all is said and done, if you stop remembering this is only a game... when you worry more about working skills like they are a real life task... when you do not stop and help others because you HAVE to go farm some herbs... you need to reevaluate your life. It's the people (whether new or old) who add the extra twist into the game. We make the game's overall flavor.

99 Att, Str, Def, HP, magic, cook, fire, wc, mining, fletch, prayer, fish, farm

Over 2100 skill

134 combat

...I don't think anyone should be sentimental for the past, but instead learn from the past, and the present, in order to create a better future.

...And then we can unite all peoples within our nation! Oh gag me, please! This isn't the place to ramble about with petty idealism, it's Runescape not your cookie and hugs platform. You have to understand that not all is well, in fact there are huge distances from that status.

Get your head out of cloud nine and quit acting like you're lvl 9.

Do not judge a book by its cover.