Irony at its Finest

JaGeX destroyed staking in the name of preventing real world traders from selling their ill-gotten goods. Yet, with the inception of the Grand Exchange, JaGeX has suddenly provided the goldfarming business with a convenient means of selling massive amounts of items quickly and anonymously, for less than the average Joe can afford to sell. A lack of foresight? Spite? Or just sheer idiocy? You decide.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh? Why can't the average Joe "afford" to sell it as cheap? Have they started charging rent in this game or something?

If you're going to interpret what I say literally, by all means go ahead; make an [wagon] of yourself.

What I mean should be fairly clear: Goldfarming firms have the ability to get lots of goods in short amounts of time. They can undercut the average Joe's prices simply because of raw bulk; for every gold they lose by cutting their prices by one, they already have ten more in goods seconds later to make up for it. Average Joe has only himself accumulating the goods; although he puts time and effort into getting them, he desires a certain amount of gold in exchange for these items in order for the task to have been worth his while. But when he isn't the one controlling prices for an item goldfarmers can consistently saturate the market with at nearly a price of their choosing, he loses out. He has to either lower his prices even more or simply stop pursuing his method of moneymaking altogether.

You might ask, "what makes this any different from the way things were before?" First, people can recognize a goldfarmer in market worlds, making them easier to both avoid and report. Second, the price controls in place will allow a goldfarmer to consistently sell his mass goods at the minimum price, while Joe is going to struggle to get the price he wants. Finally (and most damning), goldfarmers no longer necessarily have to sell all of their goods from a single account; rather, they can use all of their accounts at once to sell items, then transfer any funds they get later (this also negates the goldfarmers' problem of the possibility of the Grand Exchange considering only the smallest of item offers first).

I'll be honest with you: I can't see any possible solutions to this at all at the moment other than to stop the Exchange entirely, which clearly is out of the question.

JaGeX destroyed staking in the name of preventing real world traders from selling their ill-gotten goods. Yet, with the inception of the Grand Exchange, JaGeX has suddenly provided the goldfarming business with a convenient means of selling massive amounts of items quickly and anonymously, for less than the average Joe can afford to sell. A lack of foresight? Spite? Or just sheer idiocy? You decide.

I'd bet that they've got some pretty funky detection in place to actually help detect bots better using GE. I am certain that they would have considered this effect.

WARNING: Prone to ramble ... but you probably already know that!

truffoo.png

1% F2P : 99% RL

I'd bet that they've got some pretty funky detection in place to actually help detect bots better using GE. I am certain that they would have considered this effect.

This detection seems to consist so far of a ridiculous number of random events (observed in another thread). If sophisticated color clickers have been written for operating the GE (which I suspect they already have, and will grow in sophistication as the days go by), then there isn't much JaGeX could presumably do in the way of detection.

I think this is all part of a master plan to get rid of real world item trading, which would stop all the bots at the same time.

Right now, all they have to do is limit person to person trading to 3k every 15 minutes. Now, there will be absolutely NO way for people to to do some real world item trading.

I'm guessing this is why they added loot share, eh? To allow friends (who aren't around the same level) to be able to somewhat evenly distribute the loot since they wouldn't be able to share drops 50\50.

There's a few other things, but I haven't the will to type them. Call me lazy if you want. :P

cheezysigtipit.png

High-alching that REALLY expensive item in my inventory looks more and more tempting with every beer I drink.

I second that motion.

The phrase is "I second that notion".

unless of course you are talking about the parliamentary procedure, in which case the phrase stands as it is.

While getting on topic, I don't really mind the new system in buying and selling stuff with the grand exchange. It makes things a lot easier for me. I don't care much about the presence of autoers. They dont really bother me with what i do. I dont see too many autoers doing slayer or going to bandos/DK's/barrows/kq

polarbeardaveyz9.png

You can't undercut people below the minimum price. Think please.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

Jagex isn't stupid.

They probably released some unannounced bot detection system with the GE. God knows how it works, but Jagex would kneel over and kill itself before it knowingly would help out bots.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Maybe it was jagex's intention because they themselves can see if people are selling mass ammounts and track where they got them from?

Also all trades need a set ammount of cash and you cant set your prices too far from the minimum price and the max price!

On behalf of ED.

Ugh... if they're able to calculate price ranges and change them per day and coordinate the sale the hundreds of thousands of goods, I would think they would notice who's selling mass amounts of what. Did Jagex suddenly remove their tracking of trades now? I mean, we're assuming they did it before, why would they stop. Considering these updates seem to be at least partially about RL trading I think they have the tracking angle covered.

Besides, when did people not buy from bots before? I'm sure I have before when buying pure ess. I don't check out each person I buy from prior to hitting accept. :?

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat

Just because the sales are anonymous to you, that doesn't mean that they are anonymous to Jagex. :-$

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I think this is all part of a master plan to get rid of real world item trading, which would stop all the bots at the same time.

Right now, all they have to do is limit person to person trading to 3k every 15 minutes. Now, there will be absolutely NO way for people to to do some real world item trading.

I'm guessing this is why they added loot share, eh? To allow friends (who aren't around the same level) to be able to somewhat evenly distribute the loot since they wouldn't be able to share drops 50\50.

There's a few other things, but I haven't the will to type them. Call me lazy if you want. :P

Wow...I never viewed it like this, and i beleive this is one of the most valid points I've seen.

Gratz on putting the pieces together, but boy do i hope your wrong...

Wow...I never viewed it like this, and i beleive this is one of the most valid points I've seen.

Thanks. I forgot to mention (not the lazy part), that they would also have to make it so items that you drop no longer appear to other players. There. Pretty sure that would fill in all the possible leaks.

cheezysigtipit.png

High-alching that REALLY expensive item in my inventory looks more and more tempting with every beer I drink.

Yeah...i kinda fail to see how autoers benefit from this. someone explain pl0x?

Two words: Market saturation. There are a few hundred "people" out there selling the same thing you are for the same (or a lower) price at the GE: what are the chances, in light of this, that you will be able to sell? While this is true of anything you're trading along with normal players, it holds especially true for items such as yews, coal, or lobster when you factor in goldfarmers.

Ugh... if they're able to calculate price ranges and change them per day and coordinate the sale the hundreds of thousands of goods, I would think they would notice who's selling mass amounts of what. Did Jagex suddenly remove their tracking of trades now? I mean, we're assuming they did it before, why would they stop. Considering these updates seem to be at least partially about RL trading I think they have the tracking angle covered.

Just because the sales are anonymous to you, that doesn't mean that they are anonymous to Jagex.

Right, they've got it under control, just like they've got the few thousand tan-shirted green-pantsed cyborgs I see running around the willows and yews every day under control. I think it goes without saying that cheaters- especially paid ones- will consistently finds ways to be ahead of JaGeX's detection measures.

And again, tracing a single massive trade is easy, but what about several thousand small trades? Not happening.

It would be a valid point, except that he still forgot that you can arrange a private PK to transfer money. If JaGeX limits Wilderness kills to 3k every 15 minutes, people WILL leave in droves.

Yeah...i kinda fail to see how autoers benefit from this. someone explain pl0x?

Two words: Market saturation. There are a few hundred "people" out there selling the same thing you are for the same (or a lower) price at the GE: what are the chances, in light of this, that you will be able to sell? While this is true of anything you're trading along with normal players, it holds especially true for items such as yews, coal, or lobster when you factor in goldfarmers.

Alright, it makes it mildly easier for autoers to sell things, so? They could easily post a thread on the forums and sell them that way, either way, they still get sold.

soldersig.jpg

Right, they've got it under control, just like they've got the few thousand tan-shirted green-pantsed cyborgs I see running around the willows and yews every day under control.

Good call on me being wrong. Glad to see I'm the only one here using faulty reasoning...

JaGeX has suddenly provided the goldfarming business with a convenient means of selling massive amounts of items quickly and anonymously,...

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat

Yeah, maybe gold farmers will have an easier way to sell their items but they will still have problems. Since they can't trade the GP through staking they have to do it other ways such as Trading which Jagex can detect so I don't think Jagex looks at these massive amounts of items being sold in the GE I think they still look at where the big money goes/unbalanced trades and there are no unbalanced trades in the GE.

Btw...Gold Farmers are not the only ones that sell, for example: 100k Coal or any other huge amounts of items there are Merchants too. Banning a person for selling a massive ammounts of something for a reasonable price in the GE would just be stupid.

EDIT: Off-Topic: YES!! Finally after waiting 1 - 2 weeks for the GE I sold my 300k Airs! :mrgreen:

Yeah, maybe gold farmers will have an easier way to sell their items but they will still have problems. Since they can't trade the GP through staking they have to do it other ways such as Trading which Jagex can detect so I don't think Jagex looks at these massive amounts of items being sold in the GE I think they still look at where the big money goes/unbalanced trades and there are no unbalanced trades in the GE.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TRANSFER OF THE GOLD ITSELF. THIS HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH GOLDFARMERS' IMPACT ON THE ECONOMY AND HOW THE GREAT EXCHANGE FACILITATES THE SALES OF GOLDFARMER-ACQUIRED GOODS, WHICH IS IRONIC CONSIDERING THE PURPOSE OF JAGEX'S RECENT ACTIONS.

I hate posting in caps. I really do. But it so very irks me that my points get missed entirely. Aside from that, I can assure you that goldfarmers still have very little trouble in transferring their gold to customers; why do you think Cheating-Website-That-Must-Not-Be-Named.Org continues to thrive?

Alright, it makes it mildly easier for autoers to sell things, so? They could easily post a thread on the forums and sell them that way, either way, they still get sold.

Despite already mentioning this, I should have added that beyond easier sales, goldfarmers now have far less to fear from detection systems when selling goods (not to mention no longer have to sell in bulk from one account but instead can sell smaller amounts of goods from many accounts far more easily than making multiple forum posts in broken English).

Good call on me being wrong. Glad to see I'm the only one here using faulty reasoning...

If you don't want to read my posts, then stop leaving snarky replies. I've already explained why that was a valid point.

I love the Grand Exchange, to be perfectly honest, but this is the sort of thing I just can't help but notice. Goldfarming strikes a particularly bad chord with me.