Tip.it Times Presents: Fame

MPM

Some of us just can't help it but gain fame even when we try not to \' ... :-X ok, I'm awake now ...

Ultimately, everyone will eventually leave RS and as best become a "once upon a time" story. Most will just disappear into nothingness within the game, no matter what temporary fame was carried.

It's just like RL fame. Someone might have a 'good name', and even after they die, the name carries on, but of what benefit to them is that fame? It's not going to pull you out of the ground. Some fame carries through as inheritance to your children, which is the best you will ever get out of it, although it could also be detrimental to your children.

My opinion is that renown is better than fame. Being known in game for kindness, respect, fun; or in forums for respect, constructivity, humour; are better to me than any amount of 'fame' for achieving an arbitrary goal.

WARNING: Prone to ramble ... but you probably already know that!

truffoo.png

1% F2P : 99% RL

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an ok read. When I led a clan some guy I'd never met before came up to me in Fally w2 and knew who I was...I won't lie, it felt good. :D

I don't think (most of the) people who gain fame like that, or by having high levels, or by posting good stuff on tip.it, etc., are intentionally going out and doing this stuff for the sake of fame. Any so-called fame is more like a byproduct which comes whether you like it or not. That said, I do know people who will go out of their way to make their name known to as many 'Scapers as possible. In my opinion this is utterly pointless, since making sure thousands of random people know your RSN really doesn't accomplish much at the end of the day. I'd have to say that people who try to be famous in RS do it because they falsely believe it'll benefit them somehow. They'd rather be famous just for the sake of it instead of because they submit guides to tip.it or whatever. I believe most people who choose to make positive contributions to the community don't do it for fame or recognition, but just because it's a nice thing to do.

the ordinary tom, [bleep] or john

Sorry but I lol'd at the censor owning the expression you tried to use. :lol:

Fame isn't important. I liked to play more for the total levels + cash. Although I don't buy anything expensive because I got a phobia of dying and losing those items, lol. Anyway its a game, enjoy what you do and enjoy spending times with your friends. :D

Zu_Wizard.png

If I had to choose between fame and power, I would choose power. Power is everything in this world. With power, there is no good and evil, because those are only words when you have the power to not care about good and evil. Of course, a little fame with the power is never a bad thing... just as long as it stays in the "little" category.

?r=191108

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Currently will be using my Oni Tsurugi account to attempt to get 99 on all free skills without spending any gp, just for the sake of doing so.

"Well Craddock happens to be an American four star general that reports only to the president and rules over all of Africa, all of Europe, and all of Asia."

Rules ???? over 3 continents ??

the authors choice of words implies that this guy is the overbearing power in these area.

Thats not only hugely inaccurate but pretty offensive.

no fame isnt something i'd strive for. i figure famous people have characteristics that are admired or a personality that draws people to them. i admire people like that but i am far too reserved to accept any kind of huge acolaides (sp) or be iconised.

i talk to people on their level and on their terms and make people comfortable talking to me; if i dont know something, i ask or research it. i dont carry airs and i treat everyone exactly the same. :D unless they give me reason to treat them differently; meaning treat them with genorousity or the other extreme put them on my ignore list.

i often feel that to some players that is a let down. how they think i should act would be a certain way to certain people, but that is definately not the way i handle things. sometimes i'll read rsof story forum or goals and achievements forum and find people that are interesting to me or the compliments forum. it's the people that make me smile by what they say or make me laugh by the story they wrote or whatever; those are the people to me that i admire in runescape; also, i see myself in new players just starting out and that makes me happy too.

this was a refreshing topic compared to all the heaviness of what people have been talking about so much lately.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

nice article,

yeah dont we all want to be famous. unfortunetly alot of us wont be known like zezima is or some other players in rs but like alot of u had already sayd its a game just have fun and be polite to others and if ur goal is to be famous for something in rs just keep tryin even if u get bored.

GL EVERYONE WITH YOU GOALS

and remember some of those noobs ur bein an jerk to are lil kids tryin to have fun.

X-NEW RS UPDATES ARE FOR THE BEST-X

crazed_m0nk.gif

When I started in febraury 2006 I was thinking "w00t i will have 99 in each f2p (parents ftl) skill and have a bank full of cash" but now these dreams just wiped out.Why?

1)it's hard and boring getting every skill to 99 :wall:

2)I'm too lazy :XD:

3)Now I play for fun and Iknew tip.it where I can know some good people and have a good laugh

4)I hate when 250 players are spamming "phr33 st0ff pl0x"

So, i play rs just for fun :)

lolsi1.png

I think everybody has some desire for recognition, I think it's the feeling that when people put allot of work into their characters stats, money, etc.... or they spend allot of time posting to help the community in the forums.... the idea that nobody noticed would be a bit sad...

sig2webzx7.jpg

Nice article, the part about the editor's mother made me laugh :wink:

Sadly, the only players who think I'm anything special are level 3s who have never seen a combat level above 93 and think that the mime outfit is expensive :D

Fame in-game might be cool for a few days but after that I'm sure being swarmed by half of runescape would get a bit annoying.

K_G_Is_Me.png

I'm famous only in world 27. Even having the hardest to get flag in the game (phasmatys flag from trouble brewing) doesn't increase your fame, you just get a lot of noobs following you asking where to get it. And don't tell me thats fame because they only follow till you answer, then you're just another person in the crowd. So I'll stick to 27 for now, lol

Players.jpg

Siggy-1.jpg

Yeah, I wouldn't like to be famous, I think it's just nice for a day or something...One thing that I dÃÆÃâÃâó like is achieving something, and having fun with your friends, and having lots of friends. But that has its downsides too, like the time it takes to achieve a 99 skill. I myself always wanted to have a full bank, containing everything I'd ever want, but now that I've been scammed for 12m I'm gonna concentrate on my skills :)

Was a nice read ::'

Psst...Would you like to be Lindsay Lohan? :?

D Tienjo2

Google gone l33t!

57/75 rc. 63/76 fish. Getting 50 range and 70 str too. Taking a break to train my pure and well... relax

I dont want fame and i believe fame leads to problems. If your famous like zezima you probably have people trying to hack your account. A real life example would be celebrities especially being stalked by paparazzis.

lcchs.png

lcchs.png

The same thing goes for posting on the forums here. Anyone who has been on the forums for more than a week knows the names of some of the best posters, and you can bet that by just being a mature, well written poster, people all over Runescape will recognize your name and will want to stop for a chat when they see you online.

To be honest, I have wanted fame pretty much. I have dreamt about everyone in RS knowing about that awesome Swedishboy7, who have 99 in every skill and has like 10 party hat sets. But this was a pretty long time ago now. I have realised what is pointed out in this article; That fame is good, but only in decent amounts. It's not fun when you get a whole pack of players that all ask you for a picture when you to buy something from a general store or something like that. If you should be famous, you should be famous in the right way. But what do I mean with being famous in the right way then?

Well, I mean that you should be a little famous for something that you like to do. Remember that RS is a game that you play for fun, not for becomming the number one at the highscores or being the richest in the game! I know that some people have forgotten this and that the only reason that they play RS is because to get their name as high up on the highscores as possible. And that's nothing else than sad. In the beginning of your RS carrier I can understand this, but not when you have a account which have got a combat level of 30+. It sure is cool to be one who have got the most xp in the world in one skill in RS, but if the only thing that makes you play RS is the dream of becomming famous from it, you should quit playing. Now.

The reason why I took out the quote in this post is because I think that it shows a good example of how you can become famous in a good way. Myself I have over 2,5k posts here on Tip.It. I have always wanted to have a lot of posts here, and it seems like I have successed. I'm not really famous, but I'm pretty sure of that the most of those who uses this boards knows who I'm pretty well. The reason to why I have got this many posts is that I have always find it fun to disscuss RS. And Tip.It is a great place to do this!

I have had loads of fun as I have become not very famous, but pretty and "medium", if you can say so about fame, famous. And I'm happy with that. Because you should be happy even when you're a little famous as long as you have fun at the same time!

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Well Craddock happens to be an American four star general that reports only to the president and rules over all of Africa, all of Europe, and all of Asia. Oh and he also happens to be the Supreme Commander of NATO. So clearly fame and power do not go hand in hand and the question remains, why do we want fame?

Rules Europe does he ? Well I'm sorry if you're an American but that doesn't mean you can be totally and utterly ignorant of places outside the US all of the time.

A very wise article in my oppinion, now everyone will take "the editors" advice and post maturely (not that people don't)

Oh come on it's hardly that brilliant.

Polnar.png

i for one would hate to be zezima, i would lay awake at night fearing that my pass isnt secure enough or that my pin was found out.

thats basically all i had 2 say. great article

the paragraph about ur mom was hilarious...

d_e_l_u_x_e2.gif

who ever said nothing is impossible has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door...

(\__/)

( O.o )This is Bunny.

( > < )Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

I agree! Though my purpose in Runescape is just to have fun and enjoy myself in a virtual world, fame and power is not important to me. \' Its just a game. If you get to wrapped up in it you forget about the real world and that being awesome and powerful in Runescape does not necessarily make you better in the real world. Why not take the time you spend getting your cooking level to 200 Mil XP and use it for useful and practical things. Like learning about something or taking a class. Getting a better job or helping out in the Community and CHANGE someones life.

Fame and power is NOT everything, but what you end up DOING with the influence you've gained. Go out. Make a difference. Change the world. Be an Oprah! :wink:

This article really proved something. I don't want fame, just recognition. Too much and you would quit.

Yes, recognition would be a lot more pleasant than fame.

Plus the examples in the article basically sucked.

-Leaders are famous as well as powerful.

-Many famous people are wealthy, which IS power.

-JK Rowling has enough money to buy a mercenary army and conquer Canada/Scotland/etc, whereas our Nato general friend doesn't even have full control of his troops (ie, although he "only" reports to the president (which is a democratically elected position), he's not in firm enough standing to take over America let alone half of anywhere else).

The whole concept of fame is skewed anyway. There are still many players who could walk by BlueRose or Zezima and not know who they are. Plus you could use a board for several years and not even know the people in charge who moderate all of your posts because they need their little power trips <.<

Plus the "Did you know...?" sucked >_>