Who had a problem with bots?

benpuken

Do you think it was worth all the updates so that bots are gone?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it was worth all the updates so that bots are gone?

• Getting rid of bots (sort of) was not worth losing pking and dueling (and all the other stuff)
    • It was worth losing pking and dueling so that there is no more RWT and bots are eliminated.

Im new here, so i don't know how to make a real poll, i assume you can make one. =;

So, i am just wondering other people opinions on this, i already posted a similar thread on the runescape forums and it got very biased replies, (they all voted for op 2) :uhh:

Do you think it was worth all the updates so that bots are gone? (supposedly, they aren't really gone :wall: )

I think that bots were important to the rs economy, such as supply of yew logs for pures to alch. They kept prices down, and they didn't actually hurt anyone, though they gave people an unfair advantage which was their own problem, they might get banned but it didn't hurt rule abiding players.

Vote:

Option 1: Getting rid of bots (sort of) was not worth losing pking and dueling (and all the other stuff)

OP 2: :shame: It was worth losing pking and dueling so that there is no more RWT and bots are eliminated.

op 1:

op 2:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what are you trying to say? Are you saying that fake credit cards and profit off a game that wasn't theirs isn't hurting anyone?

You can look at this from two angles: the angle of the player that was oblivious to the entire scenario, or from the side of Jagex (which is outlined in all of the Dev Diaries). You cannot sit there and tell me that you genuinely believed that these bots weren't hurting anyone, because they were -- they cheapened the manual efforts of every skiller out there, and it wasn't like we could try the same and get away with it, either.

The way I see it, the PvP has changed, and isn't dead. Those that feel it was killed can either adapt to the new way to duel and PK (Bounty Hunter), or they can just go.

The people on the RSoF might have their heads on right after all...I'd vote for option 2 as well. I'd rather a game without those kinds of scum, and if it takes the whiny players that are complacent with their one source of fun out of it, then that's two birds with one stone.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I've edited your post to put the poll in to make it easier for you, i hope that wasn't a problem :)

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

As a F2P player, training from scratch is made difficult by the appearance of bots. Bots are just people who cheat in the game for whatever reason, and they should not be allowed to get away with cheating. Why should they get an unfair advantage over the rest of us. I would rather have a bot free runescape that had changed than the same old runescape with bots annoying the hell out of me.

So, what are you trying to say? Are you

You can look at this from two angles: the angle of the player that was oblivious to the entire scenario, or from the side of Jagex (which is outlined in all of the Dev Diaries). You cannot sit there and tell me that you genuinely believed that these bots weren't hurting anyone, because they were -- they cheapened the manual efforts of every skiller out there, and it wasn't like we could try the same and get away with it, either.

here is an example of what jagex did, bots cut yew logs, which are then sold and fletched into longs, which are then sold and alched by pures, now, there is a small supply of logs, fletchers are worse off, and there arent really any pures left so alching doesnt work. Does that sound like a solution?

As a F2P player, training from scratch is made difficult by the appearance of bots. Bots are just people who cheat in the game for whatever reason, and they should not be allowed to get away with cheating. Why should they get an unfair advantage over the rest of us. I would rather have a bot free runescape that had changed than the same old runescape with bots annoying the hell out of me.

yes, they are getting an unfair advantage, but a lot of them are getting banned, so they have to risk that, and how are they annoying?

I've edited your post to put the poll in to make it easier for you, i hope that wasn't a problem :)

thanks; so how do i make a poll in the future?

Only mods can make polls. Also don't triple post, just edit the first one in the series.

I voted for option one as pking and dueling were the main things I did ingame.

Sprite-2.jpg

519881548elmosotw.jpg

Bots never really affected me directly therefore there presence was unnoticed. Except for when I went to buy P ess and I had a lvl 3 trade me over 100k of it.. that was noticeable but only helped me out anyways. :oops:

Apparently, my signature was to big.

Honestly I didn't really have a problem with bots. If anything, they benefited my experience in Runescape a lot more then they had hurt it.

Cheaper dragon bones, raw materials and all that benefited me; the less time I spent at the computer, and the more time enjoying the game; enjoying the rewards, the better. 8-)

However, the rune ess -> pure essence rather was the only real negative effect of the bots, for me anyway.

If it makes any difference I had stopped playing in late August, so all of the recent updates I hadn't taken in effect.

those bots ruined the economy. the would get tons of logs and ores onto the market and people would become crazy tycoons and everyone became rich from downloading a freaking program(am i right?)

i think that it was worth it in the long run becase jagex is bound to realize people are leaving because of the poor PvP fighting ability now, and they might throw in a good update to change everything

So, what are you trying to say? Are you

here is an example of what jagex did, bots cut yew logs, which are then sold and fletched into longs, which are then sold and alched by pures, now, there is a small supply of logs, fletchers are worse off, and there arent really any pures left so alching doesnt work. Does that sound like a solution?

So what's stopping you from picking up a hatchet and getting more yew logs yourself?

Honestly, the things that bots did meant we could do them as well, just we weren't nearly as motivated. Now that they're gone and prices for raw goods has climbed (Yew logs being one example), we find ourselves at a paradox: we can either regret that the bots are gone and wish that Jagex hasn't made those changes, or we could pick up the same tools available to us and get to work.

It's something that's just as easily acquired by yourself. Is it really that hard to cut Yew for a day?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

To those that cry out for the old RS/think PKing is dead:

You can either accept that the change was in our best interests, or you cannot. If you can, then you're going about merrily in your bot-free game; if you cannot, you're grumbling under your breath about how stupid or careless Jagex was with this update.

Trust me when I tell you that ignorance is inexcusable when we talk of a subject this controversial. I'm wondering to myself, did anyone who disagrees with this update actually read the Development Diary? Did they take the time to understand Jagex's side in this issue before they posted?

Jagex did what they did for a very good reason. Not only did it cut down on a ton of fraudulent credit-card transfers, it cut down on other people actually profiting off of something that was never theirs in the first place. They also took a long time to think about it -- since about 2006, when the epidemic really hit, and when players (even on these forums!) began to complain about the bot problem.

Changing the way we do Player vs Player and PKing was not a decision that was made on a whim! Changing trades and drops wasn't made on a whim either! You have to realize that some decisions are easy and popular, and others aren't so easy and very unpopular.

So don't take it so hard that you lost your precious "wilderness". You still have Bounty Hunter. Yes I know it's no substitute, but if you work with Jagex on the issue instead of bashing them, it'll come close to what you remember.

Now, if you wanna sit there and whine about it like some brat, please, do that in the privacy of your own home.

s1L0U.jpg

Totally worth it. The bots had destroyed so many incomes it was not even funny. Dueling was an acceptable loss as for pking, well they are trying to find a replacement.

supposedly, they aren't really gone

if it's anything over 0.1% of what it use to be then I'd be surprised

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )