Learning any songs at the moment?

warri0r45

So it's pretty simple - what songs are you learning on your chosen instrument at the moment? :)

Right now I'm getting used to:

My Friends by the Red Hot Chili Peppers,

So Real by Jeff Buckley

Also, what's your favourite song to play? Got a favourite?

Oh man, I'd have to say some oldschool Tool takes the cake for me, something like Undertow.

Beat me to it. I was thinking about making a thread like this. :P

I just learned the solo in Dancing In The Moonlight by Thin Lizzy. In my opinion, it's the only part of that song worth learning. The rest is quite boring.

I also learned to play And The Bands Played On by Saxon a while ago. It's a blast to play.

As for a favorite song... it'd probably have to be Rock Bottom by UFO, simply because it's probably the best riff and solo ever made, or Emerald by Thin Lizzy.

2009rb9.jpg

So it's pretty simple - what songs are you learning on your chosen instrument at the moment? :)

You play... bass guitar right?

I should try 'My Friends' too.

Right now Im learning

Snow - Red Hot Chili Peppers,

We've gotta get out of this place - The Animals

The second one is a killer, if you need a song to practice on your bass guitar you should try that one. The intro is 85% of the song, and he plays it without 1 mistake.

carsignatureis3.jpg

[http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com]

[Tip.it Moderator from Dec 10, 2006 to 03 Sep, 2008]

I've got the main part of the song down for Voodoo Child by Jimi Hendrix, but I doubt I'll be able to replicate the solo's throughout, so I guess I'll just try and make up my own. I hope to learn Lazy by Deep Purple fairly soon. Also Awakening by Jefferson Starship.

Guess my favorite song to play right now is Voodoo Child or Good Times Bad Times.

klaatu-tabs.jpg

"El que no arriesga no gana"

You play... bass guitar right?

I should try 'My Friends' too.

Right now Im learning

Snow - Red Hot Chili Peppers,

We've gotta get out of this place - The Animals

The second one is a killer, if you need a song to practice on your bass guitar you should try that one. The intro is 85% of the song, and he plays it without 1 mistake.

Nope, I play regular guitar.

Good to hear some great music being learnt. :wink:

Having a go at Imperium by Machine Head at the moment.

And I've got an ongoing project to learn Entire Albums, so I can jam to it. Thinking of doing Stone Sour - Come What (Ever) May first, keep it nice and easy then move onto Machine Head - Burn My Eyes and then (lol at this idea) Dream Theater - Train of Thought.

Sound like a plan?

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

Having a go at Imperium by Machine Head at the moment.

And I've got an ongoing project to learn Entire Albums, so I can jam to it. Thinking of doing Stone Sour - Come What (Ever) May first, keep it nice and easy then move onto Machine Head - Burn My Eyes and then (lol at this idea) Dream Theater - Train of Thought.

Sound like a plan?

That sounds pretty awesome mate.

I've not taken that approach yet but I think I'll eventually fill our my repertoire of Rage Against the Machine's self titled album (currently learnt up to Bullet in the Head) and I'll probably eventually learn as many Tool albums as possible - currently learnt 4 songs from each of their releases except only Vicarious thus far from their 10,000 days album. So yeah, no shortage of new music for me to learn at the moment.

I think the most fun with playing your favourite band's songs comes from lining up a whole bunch and just rolling through them.

• 2 weeks later...

Guitar - A few little songs here and there. Nothing too difficult. Funeral Thirst by The Black Dahlia Murder is fun.

Bass - Selkies: the Endless Obsession by Between the Buried and Me--I'm struggling with it, but I'll get there eventually.

Violin - Praeludium und Allegro by Fritz Kreisler--Gotten most of it down. I'm just learning this one for fun.

Raphsodie (Ungarische Weisen fur Violine und Klavier, op. 49) by Jeno Takacs--Just perfecting it. I only need it for my HSC, so there's not exactly any rush.

Baal Shem (Three Pictures of Chassidic Life), 1. Vidui (Contrition), by Ernest Bloch--Pretty easy, but it's absolutely beautiful.

I'm also going to start learning Summer from Vivaldi's Four Seasons when I get the music. I'm gonna be playing it in a concert sometime around June, so I want it down by April.

Cool.

I guess the main thing i'm playing around with at the moment is Black Dog by Led Zeppelin. It's not too hard to play the notes, just keeping it all together while keeping the tempo up is probably the main challenge.

My favourite song to jam to though is Screwdriver by The White Stripes. It's so simple, stripped down and raw, but i've got a great live recording where Jack White's really just going for it and it's so much fun to play along to and feel a part of that crazy self destructive performance.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I have been kind of learning 'Windy and Warm' by Tommy Emmanuel, but its an easy piece so not much effort their.

On a completely different note - Could anyone suggest some good guitar instrumental pieces that fall under the Jazz genre?

untitled-1.png

Unstolen Jewel or Radical Dreamers from Chrono Cross http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_RSrQ6DfEWI On acoustic guitar.

This is kinda hardish song I think.. And its only the second song i'm learning so far (excluding the small songs on guitar for dummies).

Am I taking too big leap? :-k

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

Not really "learning" any songs as you would call it because I dont play an instrument.

But just for me while im listening to music for my own pleasure. I am trying to learn the lyrcis for:

Love so pure, Friends Forever and Teen Titans Theme by Puffy AmiYumi, a Jpop band.

Please click below to help with my ICT A Level, for which I have to monitor my website for 8 weeks, hits and feedback welcome.

http://www.chauncystweb.co.uk/sm

Feedback page now up and working.

Raining Blood by Slayer. I've got the intro memorized it's just the 5-3-0 6-3-0 that kills me. It's soooo fricking fast. :P I've got the entire System debut album memorized. It's a fun album to just spend an hour going through playing it. The other song I'm learning is In Your Face by Children of Bodom. Fuuuuun song.

Harmonicdoom.png

I could have lied - Red hot chili peppers.

Intro+Solo, great song. (I practice this song with my guitar.)

I tried the outro from Funky Monks - Red Hot Chili Peppers for bass, but thats pretty hard. And it seems Flea used a 5 string bass, while I have a 4 string.

carsignatureis3.jpg

[http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com]

[Tip.it Moderator from Dec 10, 2006 to 03 Sep, 2008]