Game of the Year 2007

underu2000

The topic is simple, and the title sums it up. With 2007 behind us, we can look back and see all the games that made it arguably one of the best years in videogaming to date. But the real question is, which of the games released this year is the best?

So I'm asking you to list the games you think were the best, in order from the least greatest and descending. Include 3-10 games, and remember to mention its platform, and if you remember, the developer.

To help you out:

The list of all games released in 2007

GameSpy Game of the Year 2007

Yahoo! Game of the Year 2007

X-Play Best of 2007

2007 1UP Award Nominees

Mah list:

10) Assassin's Creed, PC/X360/PS3/DS, by Ubisoft Montreal

9) God of War II, PlayStation2, by SCE Studios

8) Rock Band, X360/PS3/Wii/PS2, by Harmonix Music Systems

7) Crysis, PC, by Crytek.

6) Halo 3, Xbox 360, by Bungie Studios

5) BioShock, PC/X360, by 2K Boston/2K Australia.

4) Mass Effect, Xbox 360, by BioWare Corp.

3) Super Mario Galaxy, Wii, by Nintendo Tokyo.

2) The Orange Box, PC/X360/PS3, Valve Corp.

1) Call of Duty 4, PC/X360/PS3, by Infinity Ward.

Note that there are many games here that I did not play, but I included them based on their ratings, popularity, and general evaluation from the gaming community. The list may also be slightly biased, since I shunted up games I approve of. ::'

Ready, set, list! Oh, and Happy New Year!

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Hmm.... :-k

Going to count orange box as seperate games for this one, only fair.

5)Mass effect

I haven't played this yet, but from what I hear its a great RPG. While I don't think it has what it takes to go up against the other big hitters because of a few problems (balance problems and such) its worthy of #5

4)BioShock

I know, I know I'm putting it in spot 4. In reality its probably fairly tied with CoD 4 as far as it goes. The reason why it is so low is because even though it broke the barrier for gaming as an artform I had more fun with the other mentioned titles higher up here. It was a great ride, no doubt, and very artistic but just not as fun.

3)Call of Duty 4

Its intense. Honestly CoD 4 does what I thought a game couldn't do, really picture intense warfare where it really feels like that at any second something could go wrong. In the multiplayer you are constantly looking around, and with airstrikes always slamming down everywhere its one of the most intense multiplayer experiences of this year.

2)Half life 2: EP2

I split this game and #1 up from the orange box because each deserves their own award. One on hand, Episode 2 is easily one of the best half life's yet -- even rivaling #1. While length wise it is fairly short the action never gives up and the gravity gun is as fun as ever.

Plus, the last fight is great -- easily one of my favorite for the year.

1)Portal

Ah... portal. This game is #1 for so many reasons to me. The first, of course, is how inovative it is. In a sea of first person shooters and RPG's and other generic games portal steps ahead from the rest and does something not seen before in any other game. Honestly, portal takes our technology of today and turns it into one of the most engrossing and, more importantly, FUN games of all time.

Yes, it is short and.. yes, it can be beat in a few hours. However nothing can simply replace how much fun those 3 or so hours were, and portal has just simply brought a revolution on how to attach the player to the in game characters.

I mean, the weighted companion cube. I remember reading how valve keeps a lot of data on how players play their game. When the people had to throw the cube into the incinerator they noticed that some people tried to get around it, and some even jumped in themselves instead of the cube!

The fact that they could actually get the player attatched to a little cube with a heart, and now the fact that shirts are out for this cube and they are making plush toys just shows how great this game was.

GLADoS as well was just amazing. The witty, dry humor lead to some of the most memorable quotes of the year -- in which I think that in years to come will be quoted. (See -- my signature).

Whats great as well is that with the source SDK kit out now supporting portal mod communities will go wild with this game. I fully expect to see more brilliant mods coming out for portal because the possibilities with the engine is limitless.

Well that is my pick for the top 5, the only game I have not played on the list is Mass effect currently. It's been a great year for gaming, and hopefully 2008 can keep up. :)

From what I've heard Call of Duty should be number 1 (40 Awards or something). I think Bioshock wasn't that great to be number 2, that's hwere I would've put Halo 3. I haven't actually played that many games this year that were birlliant (I've only played my mates 360) so I can't comment much more than that.

38% of Tip.Iters put stupid made up statistics in their sigs. If you are one of the 62% that don't, put this in your sig.

From what I've heard Call of Duty should be number 1 (40 Awards or something). I think Bioshock wasn't that great to be number 2, that's hwere I would've put Halo 3. I haven't actually played that many games this year that were birlliant (I've only played my mates 360) so I can't comment much more than that.

Halo 3 doesn't belong anywhere in the top games of 2007.

And call of Duty 4 was great, no doubt, but I enjoyed portal much more than it and EP2 as well better.

And call of Duty 4 was great, no doubt, but I enjoyed portal much more than it and EP2 as well better.

As much as it hurts this little halo fanboys heart I must agree. At first with halo 3 I was like well done this that and the other... Then I got call of duty, and that really opened my eyes... I haven't even so much as looked at the halo 3 case since I got Call of Duty.

I'm not much of a hardcore gamer, meaning I don't spend loads on games and stuff, But out of the games I bought this year, my favourites have to be:

Guitar hero 3 (Haven't played RockBand but if I had I'm sure that would be up there :P)

Mass Effect (I've only done a couple of missions and I'm loving it)

Call of Duty 4 (Whilst the single-player lacks (time wise) the multiplayer more than makes up for it. And I love the fact that a rank 1(If he's experienced with FPS's of course) can kill someone 50 ranks higher (Well at least I did ^^))

I've never played bioshock/orange box so I can't really talk about them though like someone previously stated, they should be up there just because of the sheer popularity they have throughout the gaming community

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

[hide=My selections]5. Halo 3 (Xbox 360) -

[hide=Halo 3]

Halo 3 was a very overrated game, I'll admit. I started the campaign, and I was bored to death. But, even though I was bored, the online is amazing. This game takes a map editing tool, called the Forge, and you can use it..even over Xbox Live. A couple of days ago, I played a match in whch we had 'bombs' (explosive canisters) dropped all over the beach in last resort..a lot of the rest of the map was covered in rubbish, as if the rest had been bombed out. That, and the sheer popularity of the game give it #5 on my list.[/hide]

4. Crysis (PC)

[hide=Crysis]The only reason I am putting this up here is *gets flame gear on*...for 2 reasons: The physics engine, and *gulp* THE GRAPHICS. I usually do not judge a game based on graphics, but the 2 things I noticed through gameplay vieos were the amazing graphics and the physics. This game looks ALMOST real..that amazes me. The physics are amazing, also..seeing a small building collapse as explosives rip through it's interior is amazing. A game this advanced cannot go unrecognized.[/hide]

3. Mass Effect (Xbox 360)

[hide=Mass Effect]Mass Effect is a sci-fi role-playing game. The first time I heard about how this game would be open ended, made by the makers of KOTOR, is sci-fi, and allows you to travel between over 20 different WORLDS..I was amazed. And after hearing about it's impact on the RPG industry, I can happily say I won't be disappointed when I play it. Game critics describe it as 'Amazing' and even, from one quote I've seen, 'The greatest game [he's] ever played. Period'. A game that has had this much impact on the industry deserves the #3 spot.[/hide]

2. Bioshock (PC, Xbox 360)

[hide=Bioshock]This game has been described to have an amazing story. You are a man, who after a series of events, finds an underwater city called Rapture. Rapture, in short, contains a substance called Adam. Adam could be used to modify humans. In short, humans wanted to improve themselves. Eventually, these modifications lead to addictions. Humans were corrupted. I'm not going any further. That was a very basic summary of it all. I describe it as an Epic tale that tells the history of a city in which every day is a fight for survival, all because of the corruption caused by Humanity's strive for perfection. It's an epic tale..It gets #2.[/hide]

1. Portal (PC, Xbox 360, Ps3?)

[hide=Portal]Portal, as I heard, was originally intended to be kind of a side-game in the Orange Box. Well, it's much more than that, my friends. It's one of the greatest games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. For starters, you are in a laboratory. You eventually gain a gun with the ability to create portals to bypass obstacles. In short, this is a puzzle game on steroids. Some of the puzzles require an immense amount of planning, speed, maneuvering, thinking, and skill.This game is amazing, simply because of how funny, original, and fun to play this game was. The game was Hilarious because of the computer (forgot name)..jokes such as the Cake (you'll learn as you play). And ANY game that gets me so attached to a stupid painted lump of cube shaped metal DESERVES a spot at #1.

In short, Portal is the game of the year. No joke.[/hide][/hide]

I highly disagreee with that. Yes, I will admit, the campaign and story were complete and utter crap. BUT. Yes, but. The game has one of the largest fanbases of any game out there. I guarantee, you go out an ask anybody who's ever touched a controller if they've ever heard of Halo, you won't get a 'What is Halo?'. Guarantee it. First off, the multiplayer/online is amazing. Everybody I know (in real life) who has ever played the game online says that it is the best game they've ever played online. At Halo 3's launch day, all I heard around school was 'Hey! I'm getting Halo 3! Wanna come over and play some online?". A game this popular deserves recognition in the top games of 2007.

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg

Meh I don't think the games popularity should really have much to do with a game of the year list. Anyways, the other popular multiplayer FPS I posted (CoD 4) just craps all over halo 3.

Meh I don't think the games popularity should really have much to do with a game of the year list. Anyways, the other popular multiplayer FPS I posted (CoD 4) just craps all over halo 3.

You know what I'm saying though. I really do think there are more amazing FPSs out there. I'm sure Call of Duty 4 is better. It's just that so many people think that Halo 3 IS the best online game out there, and so many people play it and love it, that it deserves at LEAST bottom place on the Top 5 GOTY 2007.

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg

5. BioShock -

It gave something new to the pool of video games today. It was fun and certainly held my interest. I loved the early nineteenth century environment. The enemies were great also. Though, after beating the game, I haven't touched it much since. The campaign brought it into my top 5 but there was nothing else to bump it higher.

4. Half LIfe 2: EP2 -

My friend told me that I had to play this game. He was right. It was great. The game was never repetitive or boring. It was, quite simply, fun. That's all I can really say.

3. Halo 3 -

The campaign failed. Miserably. It crashed and burned. I promised myself that I wouldn't play multiplayer until I finished campaign when I finally did scrape through campaign, I almost regretted buying them game. Luckily, I loved the multiplayer. Forge in particular. I like matchmaking and all but Halo 3, for me, is all about Forge and custom games. I never get tired of jumping in to a custom game and now, with Forge, there's this whole new level of customization. My friends and I have created some of the stupidest gametypes you can imagine but we love them and play them hour after hour.

2. Call of Duty 4 -

This game surprised me. I've always loved the Call of Duty series. I'll get the game, play the campaign, touch multiplayer and leave satisfied. This game, however, had much more. The campaign was fun as always but the multiplayer really hooked me. I haven't bought the game for myself, yet, but my friend has it and I've played it with him. I can't say too much because I didn't play it for that long but, from what I did play, I can tell it's great.

1. Guitar Hero III -

Possibly my second favorite game series of all time (behind Zelda). There's no point in explaining the game because it should be known to most. I'm addicted to it. It's that simple.

5. Bio-shock: Bring it on Big Daddy

4. Call of Duty 4: Thinking about joining the Marine Corps...

3. GH III: I don't know how to play a guitar lol

2. Halo 3: KILLING SPREE@@, gotta love it online

1. Orange Box: There isn't a better way to spend $60. Half Life 2, Episode 1 & 2, Portal, TF2. There's no way you can go wrong here.

What?

m_theory11.png

5. BioShock - amazing graphics and gameplay looks very entertaining

4. Orange Box - Portal looks like you could play for hours and hours and not get bored and TF2 is also a great game, the others dont catch my interest

3. Assassin's Creed - Looks amazing i could play through the campaign again and again

2. Call Of Duty 4 - graphics are superb and just a great game

1. Guitar Hero III - the most fun ive had in a game all year, thats why its no. 1

sword2di2.jpg

thanks to mitsubishi64 who made this sig

My top 5:

GH3: The most fun I can have without leaving my house.

Skate: Nice, realistic gameplay, makes use of both joysticks in a easy to pick up way, also you can pretend your on a street luge! 8-)

Halo 3: As said campaign fails hard. But also as said multiplayer is purely superb. Oh and the Needler destroys all tbh. :anxious:

Now this is where it got harder because these games both deserve number 1, so that's what they're getting:

Assassins Creed: Just one word can describe this : Wow... never in my life have I played a game which has had me hooked, usually game's where you go around killing people bore me after about a bajillion kills, but there are more elements to the game such as stealthing around rooftops, interogating (sp?) people. and plus the graphics are amazing, the AI engines are superb aswell although some of the phrases you hear a few too many times...

Call of Duty 4: After playing Halo 3 I was like wow that was awesome, Hmmm what's this COD4 okay then let's put this in, WOWIES! Thanks for playing Halo. Okay the campaign was incredibly short for some reason, but why does it matter with gameplay like that, Yes it got a bit annoying if you shot at a friendly by accident, but that made you become more accurate or finding better spots to shoot from, it was all part of the learning curve, I am yet to play in online but from what I've heard, there's no sniper camping except on the Chernobyl level apparently, so can't wait to see that. Because as everyone knows sniper campers fail hard.

Tbhyespl0x.jpg

SMG

GHIII

I'm just not a shooter person. And don't play any box games, can't afford a PS3 and just don't care, these two games kept me from doing most anything else when I got my hands on them.

korla3eaqd3.jpg

5) Mass Effect Xbox 360, BioWare

4) Metroid Prime 3 Nintendo Wii, Retro Studios

3) Call of Duty 4 PC, PS3, and Xbox360, Infinity Ward

2) Bioshock Windows operating system and Xbox360, 2kBoston/2k Australia

1) Super Mario Galaxy Nintendo Wii, Nintendo EAD Tokyo

I think these are the games that deserve my top 5 :D

X_defenders.png

X_defenders.png

Seems like there's a lot of controversy on Halo 3's status up in there, which I was anticipating. Halo 3 is one of my favorite games of the year, which is why I included it in the top 5. I'm sure there are folks who dislike Halo 3 for various reasons (which tend to be unrealism and the poor campaign), but through raw quality, I think it's only fair for it to be included there. I attribute CoD4's and BioShock's successes not because they compete in the same area Halo does, but rather the opposite; they're completely different, and people appreciate them more for giving a breath of fresh air, and simply being innovative and revitalizing the shooter genres. But still, it's your opinion, debate is partly what this thread is about.

And it does seem unfair to the Nintendo games that I never played...I'll expand the list to include Nintendo titles.

And I'm not sure if it's proper to divide the Orange Box into its components (and hasn't Episode 2 been released previously also?), but I guess it's tantamount to what a good deal it is. I'm getting the Box soon...Can't wait to play Portal... =P~

^ Episode 2 was first released in the orange box. However, you can buy EP 2 / TF2 / Portal seperatly if you want so I counted them separate.

I didn't include Halo 3 simply because there were a lot of high quality games out this year, and a lot of them just over shadowed halo 3.

^ Episode 2 was first released in the orange box. However, you can buy EP 2 / TF2 / Portal seperatly if you want so I counted them separate.

I didn't include Halo 3 simply because there were a lot of high quality games out this year, and a lot of them just over shadowed halo 3.

Yeah, I checked myself and I just realized that Episode 2 released with the Orange Box.

Yeah, Halo 3 was overshadowed, even in its forte, online multiplayer. But when there's that much competition, you know it's been a good year.

5. Halo 3

You have to put this game in, the multiplayer is great (I know theres better), and its a great follow up to a great series. Even if it did get too much hype.

4. Mass Effect

I haven't played this game, and probably won't, but it's gotten amazing reviews and I know that its a huge game.

3. Guitar Hero III

This game is insanley addicting, great songs, great online, and great everything!

2. Call of Duty 4

Amazing.

1. The Orange Box

This game is 5 games for the price of 1. It adds a new game to the Half Life series which is always awesome, Portal opens up a whole new range of possibilities in future games. Team Fortress 2 is IMO, the best game of 2007 by itself. All it needs is a single player mode and its a legend.

5) NCAA Football 08

-Yes, A sports game. I don't care. I know it didn't win any awards and the gameplay isn't as great as Madden. I don't care though, I love leading the Dawgs in a dynasty.

4) Guitar Hero 3

-GH3 with the next-gen feel. Always a blast, took me well over a month to complete the game on expert, and it felt great to be done with it.

3) Halo 3

-I still haven't gone past the first mission despite having the game since day 1, but the online is great.

2) Call of Duty 4

-I got it for the online, and the gameplay is amazing. It's intense, and its a blast trying to get that next level for that perk that will change the game.

1) Bioshock

-I rented it and was through in about 4 days, but it was possibly the best gaming experience I've had. Amazing story and gameplay.

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png

I'm going to go with the orange box as a whole. Such amazing games. Especially portal. The portal based puzzles are more fun then anything I've ever played before and the humor in that game is even better than ratchet and clank games. Every aspect of portal is perfect and the game is just nothing but constant fun.

It's a bit of a biased judgment because I am unable to play half the games up there and if I can't vote for the orange box as a whole then I'll go with portal.

"But there's no sense crying over every mistake.

You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."

That's soooo going in my sig :XD:

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Top three for me:

1) Super Mario Galaxy

2) The Orange Box

3) Bioshock

Galaxy made me return to my N64 for old Super Mario 64 goodness. Gawd how I miss it.

I don't run races to see who's the fastest, I run to see who has the most guts. -Pre

thewho2.jpg

Currently the best beat out there:

Minuit jacuzzi (DatA Remix) - TEPR