Brainymidget's Dagannoth Kings Guide

brainymidget

I've just been toying with setups and noticed that blessed spirit shield is a viable alternative when guthans maging. You loss about 10 range defense compared to granite, but theres no magic negatives and it has a 3+ prayer bonus. So in effect you'd be replacing a small range defense bonus for a small magic and prayer bonus,which would (I've not started DK maging yet so this is theory) increase the the kill speed and your trip length.

blessed spirit shield would be risking as it protects even over gs's . if you have the cash and dont mind the risk it would be a usefull shield to take, but for most people i think that granite shield would be a better alternative.

-=Zap=-

eijnnc.png

99 Woodcutting 99 Firemaking

99 Hunter 99 Agility

99 Attack 99 Hitpoints

99 Mining

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you make a video for bunyip maging prime i have no clue at all what to do and i always thought you needed 3 people to get into the dks

sorry im just clueless

EDIT: I think i can verac mage im 79 mage 75 def 78 attack 73 ranged 68 summon and 62 pray is that ok?

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

• 2 weeks later...
can you make a video for bunyip maging prime i have no clue at all what to do and i always thought you needed 3 people to get into the dks

sorry im just clueless

EDIT: I think i can verac mage im 79 mage 75 def 78 attack 73 ranged 68 summon and 62 pray is that ok?

You mean Rex right?

Its possible but you'll need to be careful balancing magic pots (charge and CoG is pretty much the best spell to use) and brews. As you have a lowish defense you'll need to take a war t or t bird with some brews in it then a bunyip for afters.

I was using magic pots before I hit 80 and the best way to use them is to pot for the charge then charge again once your magic level hits 80 this way you save having to pot every 6 minutes.

For the video the method is the same as guthan maging only you pray a bit more and rely on your bunyip for most of your hp.

Now my reason for posting, Brainymidget you are a legend.

Just started the maging trips I kind of mentioned earlier and in 3 trips I've had over 7m in loot with a profit of about 5m.

Its not without its risks (as a team of crashers found out when we lured Rex then prime onto them), but thats what makes it fun.

To anyone who bothers reading this post definitely use CoG if you have void mace it makes a massive difference.

I successfully beat 2 maxed out magers (they tried to crash me, in the end they called for help and it was 4 vs 1 :shock: ) who where using slayer dart

EDIT

[hide=Last 3 drops (I got 2 d axes before I starting screenshotting)]First solo (no hybrids)

dkszerker.png

2nd solo (no hybrids)

dksdaxe.png

dkswarrior.png[/hide]

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Hey

I recently got 88 Summon, I got Void mace and CoG unlocked etc.

I dked way back ago when there were no familiars.

Now I got a question as a mage:

What's better to bring with Unicorn Stallion and Enhanced Excalibur? Verac's or Guthan's? Or is that a bit overkill?

Thanks in advance.

99 Magic; achieved on 4-4-2009.

85 Slayer; achieved on 6-8-2009.

99 Defence; achieved on 14-8-2009.

99 Constitution; achieved on 12-3-2013.

99 Attack; achieved on 12-5-2013.

99 Slayer; achieved on 21-6-2013.

I came, I saw, I ran away.

osiris_1993.png

Hey

I recently got 88 Summon, I got Void mace and CoG unlocked etc.

I dked way back ago when there were no familiars.

Now I got a question as a mage:

What's better to bring with Unicorn Stallion and Enhanced Excalibur? Verac's or Guthan's? Or is that a bit overkill?

Thanks in advance.

Veracs will be faster kills (high magic attack bonus) therefore better money.

I managed to do 2 3 hour trips with just veracs and titans using the recommended veracs setup.

Guthans only really comes into its own when your doing 3+ hour trips (for me atleast).

Mind you I've got no experience with unicorns or EE.

But try veracs first then if your not lasting or taking too much damage for EE and unicorn then switch to guthans.

Try to kill as many of the snips as you can once rex is dead as it will save prayer and scrolls.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Very good guide! I enjoyed reading it. However, do you think I could do them, soloing?

Maging yes, hybrid well prime would take forever.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

• 1 month later...

Can anyone shed any light on the new rex safespots?

I'm a pretty pro DK'ser tbh, I used to mage alot, with guth.

I went a couple weeks ago, and died. Rex wouldn't stick to his safespot.

Can anyone post a pic / direct me to a pic of a safespot that works?

Cheers :thumbsup: <3:

1979.png

Mymagerules.png

Dragon Riding Cult Leader?

Can anyone shed any light on the new rex safespots?

I'm a pretty pro DK'ser tbh, I used to mage alot, with guth.

I went a couple weeks ago, and died. Rex wouldn't stick to his safespot.

Can anyone post a pic / direct me to a pic of a safespot that works?

Cheers :thumbsup: <3:

Just use either the original seaweed spots or the edge bordering on north-east side.

I've been on a few trips since and all the mages just say its a bit harder to lure, but most of the spots still work.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

• 1 month later...

Hey Daggonath Experts...

I've got a quick question concerning Maging Rex (with a bunyip)...

Why do you take so many super restore potions, and only 4 brews?

Am I supposed to pray magic while I'm there in Guthans? I thought I could tank the duration of the kill then heal up in between kills, eliminating the need for prayer.

Also, I was thinking about taking a karil top there to wear while I kill rex. It'd stop magic damage and increase my magic attack - afterwards, I would swap to guthan plate + spear and heal up. Furthermore, I would take my enhanced excalibur with me to heal me up when needed.

Performing all of the above, can I take 3 Brews : 1 Super Restore and tank sufficiently?

Thanks,

Shogun

Hey Daggonath Experts...

I've got a quick question concerning Maging Rex (with a bunyip)...

Why do you take so many super restore potions, and only 4 brews?

Am I supposed to pray magic while I'm there in Guthans? I thought I could tank the duration of the kill then heal up in between kills, eliminating the need for prayer.

Also, I was thinking about taking a karil top there to wear while I kill rex. It'd stop magic damage and increase my magic attack - afterwards, I would swap to guthan plate + spear and heal up. Furthermore, I would take my enhanced excalibur with me to heal me up when needed.

Performing all of the above, can I take 3 Brews : 1 Super Restore and tank sufficiently?

Thanks,

Shogun

The inventories shown will last you at least 2 hours.

You use prayer when entering, when luring (this avoids getting hit 50's by prime) and when you get too many spins on you (generally I find if you get 3+ on you).

You can tank the lures, but primes max is in the high 50's and rex (I believe) is in the low 30's with the spins hitting 8's. So with 2 spins, 1 prime hit and 1 rex hit your down 90 hp in 1 combat turn. Better to use 1 dose of prayer/super restore every 3 to 5 lures then lose the repair costs of guthans as well as time.

Once you get the hang of luring (I found it easier once I learnt the new RT5 location(s)) the only damage you take will be from spins which is why you need high range defense.

The brews are for emergencies only (I normally only take 2 and will only use any doses if someone else messes up).

Try the recommended setup before you switch items out as I guarantee you between the writer and posters on this guide pretty much everything has been tried, tested and perfected.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Thank you very much Joe. I tried maging for the first time today; it went relatively well.

However, I got repeatedly "crashed" by other mages who pulled prime into my vicinity. Naturally I put on protect from mage and battled with them for the kill, but the severe increase in super restore usage has an adverse effect on the amount of time I can stay at the kings.

What do I do in the case of a crasher, who repeatedly pulls prime spawns onto me?

Generally crashers use veracs which makes them protect from magic regardless, allowing them to a) hit slightly more often and B) last longer than my guthans.

I ended up x-logging, getting crashed again, and then finally finding an empty world in which I could spend the duration of my kill.

Also, if prime *does* come on me during a lure, how do I get him off? My temporary solution is to bring a rune crossbow and a karil top along, and just range him to death in the usual prime spot. However, once again, this drains my super restores and shortens my trip.

Thanks in advance,

Shogun

(Got a dragon hatchet so I'm still happy :P)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brainy,

I've always been an advocate of your guide. Since completing seers diary 3 I enchanted my excalabur which allows me 20hp over 20 seconds as a trade for 100% of my special bar. Surely this works as a substitue for sgs (or perhaps even a direct swap if you count the guaranteed healing over sgs chance/ the reduced risk) for mages? Furthermore, the bone mace would also work as a weapon #3 for it's prayer boosting abilities?

If you have considered these, i'd love to know why they're not worthwhile, if not i'm pleased I could give something back to this guide.

edtheripperpixelsigv2zy8.png

Thanks to Jopie for this great signature.

99 Slayer|Fishing|Summoning|Hitpoints|Attack|Strength|Defence|Fletching.

Anyone at Manchester University PM me

Thank you very much Joe. I tried maging for the first time today; it went relatively well.

However, I got repeatedly "crashed" by other mages who pulled prime into my vicinity. Naturally I put on protect from mage and battled with them for the kill, but the severe increase in super restore usage has an adverse effect on the amount of time I can stay at the kings.

What do I do in the case of a crasher, who repeatedly pulls prime spawns onto me?

Generally crashers use veracs which makes them protect from magic regardless, allowing them to a) hit slightly more often and B) last longer than my guthans.

I ended up x-logging, getting crashed again, and then finally finding an empty world in which I could spend the duration of my kill.

Also, if prime *does* come on me during a lure, how do I get him off? My temporary solution is to bring a rune crossbow and a karil top along, and just range him to death in the usual prime spot. However, once again, this drains my super restores and shortens my trip.

Thanks in advance,

Shogun

(Got a dragon hatchet so I'm still happy :P)

There is not much you can do to get prime off of you. Also were you using ls worlds? If not then use around a 1000 population world (not 99) to minimize crashers.

LNYvk.png

Hey Brainy,

I've always been an advocate of your guide. Since completing seers diary 3 I enchanted my excalabur which allows me 20hp over 20 seconds as a trade for 100% of my special bar. Surely this works as a substitue for sgs (or perhaps even a direct swap if you count the guaranteed healing over sgs chance/ the reduced risk) for mages? Furthermore, the bone mace would also work as a weapon #3 for it's prayer boosting abilities?

If you have considered these, i'd love to know why they're not worthwhile, if not i'm pleased I could give something back to this guide.

EE is very good down there. However SGS's prayer restoration is amazing.

If you normally pray mage when you lure (you should even with hybrids) then you will get enough prayer in 1 spec for atleast 2 lures.

Its worth taking if you don't have a SGS and its by far the best 2nd special.

Ancient mace (what your classing as bone correct?) is questionable down there. It misses a lot even with piety. Its better then nothing, but I'd take an extra prayer/super restore or even holy wrench (if your using guthans and titan+ to heal).

As for prime I refuse to mage with guthans without hybrids as its far to risky to without praying most of the time. You have to range prime until hes dead or hop worlds (extremely risky).

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Hey Brainy,

EE is very good down there. However SGS's prayer restoration is amazing.

If you normally pray mage when you lure (you should even with hybrids) then you will get enough prayer in 1 spec for atleast 2 lures.

Its worth taking if you don't have a SGS and its by far the best 2nd special.

Ancient mace (what your classing as bone correct?) is questionable down there. It misses a lot even with piety. Its better then nothing, but I'd take an extra prayer/super restore or even holy wrench (if your using guthans and titan+ to heal).

As for prime I refuse to mage with guthans without hybrids as its far to risky to without praying most of the time. You have to range prime until hes dead or hop worlds (extremely risky).

I've pulled prime once in 30+ hours since the RT5 update. See my guide for a different lure spot that has an extremely minimal chance of pulling prime. I never use mage prayer once I'm in the spot unless my hp is getting low (I don't bring guthan's since I'm 88 summoning), and if you don't use prayer then most people prefer EE spec.

yuki2d.png

• 3 months later...

Nice guide, I liked the hints and tips section in particular. I do have a question though: Right now I'm solo hybridding as part of my slayer task. I'm using a whip + DFS and SGS to spec. I'm also using overloads, and I'm flashing piety when I can (not picking up drops and sending them home or trying to find brews in my yak). This way, I manage to kill Supreme well in time on a 1050 population world. I have about enough time to pick up Supremes drops, pick up the previous Prime drops and start sending them home (well, mostly Prime respawns while I'm sending them home). Do you suggest going much higher in population, or would it cause too much hectic situations? If so, by how much? Is there a certain formula for respawn time in function of population? I guess around 5 sec less per respawn shouldn't be a problem, yet it would add up.

A last question is whether you have any tips on organising the invo in your yak. I've been trying some things out 2 times now, and it always ends up at somet point with me being in the middle of a kill and in desperate need of a brew, yet, when I press "take bob" all I seem to get is super restores, extra pouches or antipoison (++). I either have to drop stuff and keep taking things out (not knowing what will come) till a brew pops out, or quickly run up the ladder and take it out near the obelisk (actually did this a few times when Rex got on me since I was up anyway). This however puts me on a very tight schedule to kill Supreme. So, any tips, or is this part of the disadvantages of a Yak? (I have been trying brew brew brew prayer pot but somehow it never works out. Mind you also that I have 9 overloads and 9 super prayer potions at the beginning of the trip which I can't put in my yak).

• 2 months later...

Well to answer your first question, I'd say by the sounds of it you've got it spot on right now. Going into a bigger world will up the pressure on you, and it's always nice to have a little bit of a time cushion for if things start going badly, don't want to risk getting into a fatal situation or having to tele out early just got 5 seconds or so.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

• 4 weeks later...