Got black marks for offensive language - unfair!

StuntLandia

I got reported in the game because of offensive language. What I wrote was:

a q p

w

As some of you may know, it has a shape of a penis. Jagex muted my account for 24 hours and I got a black mark.

Take a look at the rules copied directly from their website.

[hide=]Effective date: 27th February 2008

You must not use any language that could be considered offensive, racist, obscene or otherwise inappropriate. This includes swearing.

If you suffer serious abuse such as receiving racist remarks, harassment or obscene and vulgar language, please report them to us using the in-game Report Abuse button which can be found in the chat interface of all our multiplayer games.

Related Questions

Below are some related questions which may help you to further understand and follow this rule.

1. Why do we have this rule?

2. What do you mean by offensive or inappropriate language?

3. Is it okay to ask for a boyfriend or girlfriend in the games?

4. What about mis-spelling an offensive word to disguise it? Is that okay?

5. I was called a 'noob'. Is this offensive? Should I report this player?

6. What is flooding the chat window?

1. Why do we have this rule?

We have this rule to maintain a pleasant environment in our games. For many people it's not much fun playing if there is someone else being rude or offensive, so please consider others when chatting. Also please remember that not everyone playing is the same age or from the same background, so may be more offended or upset than you expect.

Back to the top

2. What do you mean by offensive or inappropriate language?

This includes (but is not limited to): discussion of recreational drugs, sexually explicit language, solicitation, racism or other prejudice, threatening, blackmail and swearing. It's simply a matter of common sense - try not to say anything that someone might find offensive.

Back to the top

3. Is it okay to ask for a boyfriend or girlfriend in the games?

No, that is solicitation and is not allowed at all. This is to ensure the safety of all our players.

Back to the top

4. What about mis-spelling an offensive word to disguise it? Is that okay?

No, please don't do this. In fact, mis-spelling an offensive word or using symbols to replace letters to avoid the chat filter is considered even worse.

Back to the top

5. I was called a 'noob'. Is this offensive? Should I report this player?

Calling other players a 'noob' is quite common in most online games.

It's not something to worry about as it means 'new player'. Every player has to be a 'noob' at some point.

The best thing to do is to ignore it.

Back to the top

6. What is flooding the chat window?

Spamming/flooding the chat window is to fill the chat window with unnecessary text. This is also an offence and is disruptive and unfair on other players as it makes it more difficult for them to communicate and trade with each other.

To keep RuneScape enjoyable for everyone please observe and follow this rule. We will not tolerate disruptive players, and if you break our rules your account is likely to be banned. Members who are banned for breaking our rules are not entitled to any sort of refund.[/hide]

As you can see, it says NOTHING about using ASCII to make shapes of offensive things.

I know it's wrong to do it, but if it doesn't say anything about it in the rules, they have to right to punish me.

What do you say?

I have to say that I disagree with you.

It is also common sense that you're not allowed to scam other people, but they have to write in their rules, so they have a reason to ban you.

It says nothing about ASCII, so they should not have a reason to punish!

I have to say that I disagree with you.

It is also common sense that you're not allowed to scam other people, but they have to write in their rules, so they have a reason to ban you.

It says nothing about ASCII, so they should not have a reason to punish!

You are just not very bright or at least lack the simplist of common sense and level of maturity.

You cannot use offensive language. Well in some cultures pictures and characters not found on a traditional keyboard can be seen as words and used as written communication. Hieroglyphics is an ancient form of written communication used by an ancient civilization and they use pictures, which is what you were making an attempt at and you got a blackmark because of.

This is not a debatable subject, just a whiner ranting about getting in trouble.

Mystik01.gif

"You must not use any language that could be considered offensive, racist, obscene or otherwise inappropriate. This includes swearing."

Uhh, last I knew, ASCII could be seen as a type of language. Using drawings to represent words basically.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

imo you got off light, you should at least be perm banned for being a moron. (I still don't know what that isn't against the rules)

The mute was just because in the rule: "It's a matter of common sense."

Nobody wants to see that stupid q p thing except the 12 year olds who shouldn't be playing anyway.

It's offensive spam. You knew it has an offensive connotation. What else could it possibly imply?

PS: Please, no one say something random like "angry quails pecking wildly". It won't be funny.

If it is offensive, be it language or images made with letters, then your bond to offend someone and get reported etc, that and its common sense not to type somthing offensive... -.-

I don't like fun, it upsets me.-- Marilyn Manson

Actually you arnt allowed to use symbols, can be interpreted as that,

you arnt allowed to type anything people would find offensive.

Jagex list rules, but that does not limit those rules to that.

you agree that jagex has the right to "terminate" your account without any valid reason, so you have no argument.

Current goal: 94 mage (85).

Proud owner of Quest cape, While guthix sleeps completed 3rd january 2009.

You seem exactly like that woman who sued MacDonalds for getting third degree burns when she drank the coffee there because she didn't know the "coffee was that hot".

And by the way, this should be in the rants topic. I don't think anyone else noticed because they were too busy facepalming at your common sense (Or lack of thereof).

Air_Dragon15.png

I actually still remember something in the rules that you may not create things with ASCII that may be considered:

"offensive, racist, obscene or otherwise inappropriate".

What you did was obscene and inappropriate.

Eh... you knew it was offensive, didn't you?

I know it's wrong to do it, but if it doesn't say anything about it in the rules, they have to right to punish me.

I have to wonder why you did it to begin with... And then came here to ask about it. Anybody could tell you that people would be offended by something like that...

Got exactly what you deserved

I know it's wrong to do it, they have a right to punish me.

see if you delete some of the crap in the original post you've actually answered your own question :D :lol: :thumbsup:

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

haha I didn't know that you still were discussing this.

You seem exactly like that woman who sued MacDonalds for getting third degree burns when she drank the coffee there because she didn't know the "coffee was that hot".

And by the way, this should be in the rants topic. I don't think anyone else noticed because they were too busy facepalming at your common sense (Or lack of thereof).

That's exactly the reason I posted this. She won the trial.

Lol, um ok look. You did that fully knowing that it was going to look like a penis. Why shouldn't you get a blackmark and a mute for making penises in the chatbox? It's common sense tbh.

Also, a mod did confirm that making those are against the rules. Lol, did you actually think you could do that and get away with it?

2480+ total

Just because it isnt specifically stated in the rules "You cannot use the chat to make male genitals" doesn't mean its leagal within the game. It's clearly offensive to many people, and i believe that you deserved what you got. :shame:

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

You know it's wrong, but you did it anyways, and are now complaining about being caught. Please use your head. If you think it's wrong, don't do it. And you won't have to worry about being reported for stupid things. Or even making topics about being reported for stupid things.

fail124.jpgfailbait.png

Fire Cape - Aug 14, 08.

coolnamefailbaitedit.jpg

Sounds just to me. You knew what it was, and you knew that it would be offensive, so why are you upset that you're punished justly?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

This includes (but is not limited to): discussion of recreational drugs, sexually explicit language, solicitation, racism or other prejudice, threatening, blackmail and swearing. It's simply a matter of common sense - try not to say anything that someone might find offensive.

note the words(not limited to) that means that anything thats offensive they can ban you for, i personally think you are very lucky.

WHAT YOU DID IS ILLEGAL AND THEY COULD OF HAD YOU ARRESTED FOR SEXUAL SOLICITATION OF A MINOR, A SERIOUS OFFENSE WHICH HAS A MINIMUM SENTENCE IN MOST STATES OF TWENTY YEARS IN A MAXIMUM SECURITY PRISON WITH NO HOPE OF PROBATION.

www.littlefolkspuzzlepersistentillusion.fileswww.animals-in-

k1tt3h$ f0r t3h w1ns!

that's their guidelines.. and are, of course, subjected to permutation..

jagex mute/ban players who ran aflout with their rules..

so queer of u (thread starter) to try testing the system.. knowingly its obscene in nature..

:ugeek:

I think some posters have gone a little over the top.

Whilst I agree that the OP wrote something which some people could class as offensive, and was quite rightly sanctioned, to call it obscene is going a bit far.

If you feel that the human body per se or a representation of same is obscene then perhaps you should grow up a bit. Have any of you seen a wildlife programme? Do you think the sight of animals without clothes is obscene? Are humans part of the animal kingdom?

Is Michaelangelo's David obscene? Can all ages go and view this and other naked sculptures or nude paintings in museums and art galleries?

Many questions, answer them truthfully, then tell me whether you think "obscene" was the correct adjective.

Just my two cents

Teeg