Members-only beta: A cheap sign-up shot?

ecopetition

I don't see what the big deal is. They did this with the RS2 beta, then opened it up (eventually) to everyone...

Besides, it's an effective advertising tool. Who doesn't want to see shiny graphics when they play a game?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

If F2P got the HD update, they would be limited to reporting bugs in the F2P zone, which is about... i don't know, a fourth of the P2P area. Plus, there would be a lot of duplicate reports. I wonder how many people have already reported about the mime mask glitch, where your talking head is partially erased?

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Message me, private chat is always on. :)

it is also advantageous to have it done this way to spread the downloading over a week or two.

the lagg caused over the last few days has been caused mostly by members downloading the updates. the F2P population is bigger or atleast the same size as the member population, and if they were trying to download the updates whilst members were as well, the lagg would have been even worse.

fishing.gif

There servers could not handle the amount of people trying to download the new client if it was f2p as well. During the rs2 beta a few worlds, and at times the website was down because of the volume of people (just members) downloading the client.

I could only imagine what it will be like when rshd is given to f2p.

Stellactic.gif

F2P players complaining about not getting HD is like someone being given a free steak dinner and then complaining about not getting dessert.

Welcome to the real world, kids: nobody owes you anything. You should be damned glad Jagex gives you F2P at all.

It's like a kid getting a free ice cream cone and then throwing a temper tantrum because it's too small and there aren't sprinkles on it. I mean that in that both are complaining about something they should appreciate is free to begin with, and both are children prone to crying tantrums.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

when rs2 first came out it was a beta only for memebers.

99 Fletching - 01/08/08

99 Theiving - 09/11/08

99 Cooking - 12/13/08

99 Runecrafting - 10/23/09

99 Strength - 05/07/10

Jagex has taken the decision to have Runescape HD a members-only beta. Do you reckon there is any reason for this other than to get more people signing up to membership?

Do companies that do this really care about anything other than money?

what a one sided thread :shame: , you are just dis-agreeing with what other people say; but i might as well post.

anybody who can read knows that eventually, f2p will get this update too. frankly, i could care less if YOU are f2p, and i could care less about the f2p community in general. f2p has held out 8 years for this graphics update(besides rs2), they can wait a few more months imo.

memebers are giving jagex money, which it needs to pay server costs (VERY pricy), employees, and website costs. f2p is basically a trial version of runescape, and the only reason jagex gives the option for an "unlimited trial" is because adds pay for it.

so, what im trying to say is: if all jagex cared about was money, jagex would have raised the membership cost ages ago, and f2p wouldn't exist

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

There servers could not handle the amount of people trying to download the new client if it was f2p as well. During the rs2 beta a few worlds, and at times the website was down because of the volume of people (just members) downloading the client.

that is what i just said >_>

fishing.gif

It's a great way for business.

Why is it "cheap" to attract more members? Are you jealous because you don't have it, if so, why not just pay the $5 a month to get the better graphics?

I wouldn't have said it was directly an attempt to get more sign-ups.

I would put it more along the lines of that they need to give P2p some more updates as they pay,

and therefore as an effect of better p2p it is indirectly influencing more people to sign up.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say this was anymore of an attempt to get members then many of the previous updates.

I hope you can make sense of this.

edtheripperpixelsigv2zy8.png

Thanks to Jopie for this great signature.

99 Slayer|Fishing|Summoning|Hitpoints|Attack|Strength|Defence|Fletching.

Anyone at Manchester University PM me

I'm willing to say it'd be about the same as when RS2 was given to F2P. Mounds of lag, but a mere afterthought after about 48 hours.

[besides that, even the best servers in the world can only hold X number of connections. Go X+1 over that, and you have yourself either lag/Denial of Service. Jagex is smart enough to realize that, and the only real lag was to the members trying to go to High Detail.]

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I feel that it was a good thing because first of all there already was a lot of lag with just p2p downloading it imagine if all of f2p joined in second only p2p has access to the forum to report bugs from the beta so that they can perfect it before its final release to everyone.

It worked on me, and I don't see it as a cheap shot. I'm sure there are a few other factors that caused Jagex to release it as a member-only beta, but I fail to see how it would be underhanded even if money was the only factor.

Here is where I randomly pop in and attempt to throw everyone off.

The choices are for F2p...

HD RuneScape and Full Screen.

HDRS and no FS

None of everything

The best choice is the middle one, f2p gets HDRS but no FS, because FS blocks out ads. Its a better choice see, if a new player to RuneScape played the F2P version without the HD, they will either be 'omg graphics suck, im out this game' or... 'wow members get better graphics, I want to be a member', yah I think the first choice is more likely looking at the supposed age group that will go for RuneScape, it won't exactly be as you think, thats why they gotta have the HD, no FS, then they will either go 'wow good graphics, I want more, so give it' or 'wow great game, great graphics, time to be a member', then again its not as you think, but I believe the second choice is more likely.

But that and the arguments about f2p, Jagex has a use for them..financially, thats why they even bother, otherwise its like one of those RPG games where its like 'omg free trial for this cool game with cool graphics, aww, I can only play it for 5 days'. I don't get why people are so mean to F2Ps begging for updates, as much as there can be argued for F2P and against F2P, the decision still lies with Jagex, whether it be player-favouring or financial/business based. Whatever that is, you either like it or increase the post and topic counts of the Rants topic, which I prefer if most people got the first option.

No Sig!

definately. there probably will be the odd f2per who wants to try the update whithout waiting so they pay for membership. then they will be caught up and have to stay members because of too much items in their bank or they are just lovin it. maybe that could be the reason why jagex put subscription prices up before the HD update. make some extra cash i guess

Money_Wasted.png

The only cheap shot is this thread.

It's so easy to say a company is greedy. I don't see how Jagex is anywhere near as bad as THOSE companies.

As much as you may hate it, money makes the world go round. RuneScape is a BUSINESS.

F2p cant post on forums and thus cant give feedback.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

it's not cheap, jagex are trying to make money, like all businesses, and F2p should be glad Jagex give them anything anyway (they don't need too after all) because without cash Jagex can't maintain runescape.

F2pers need to stop complaining so much and just be happy with the FREE things they get, most mmorpgs are nowhere near as generous :shame:

on topic f2p don't have hd beta because they can't give feedback on RS forums...obvious really #-o

You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face.

Do not fear Death. Death is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light. But, if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity...