Obsidian (Zerker) Necklace: What Happened to it?

Zaaps1

Berserker/Obsidian Necklace (590K)+Obsidian Sword (154K)/Obsidian Mace (206K)

+20% Damage

Cost= 744K-796K

Dragon Scimitar(99K)+Salve Amulet/Salve Amulet (e) (Should cost around 20-50K of supplies to get it)

Salve Amulet: 15% Strength and Attack

Salve Amulet (e): +20% Strength and Attack

Cost=149K

If you ask me, one of the reason why it's not being used is cause of the cost of it.

Also, to me using Salve amulet is much better. 8-)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity, does the obby necklace bonus stack with void melee bonus? I was thinking that this sort of setup would work well in FoG, where the hunter's defence doesn't really matter. Plus, I'm kinda too lazy to do monkey madness.

Also, how reliable is the accuracy? I want to be reasonably confident that my next attack won't be a "0". Assume that I want to go PvP.

How fast is the obby sword and the obby mace? Just compare it to the whip or the dragon dagger.

I was wondering if it worked with void too, guess I'll do some tests....

Edit: After initial testing the mace beats the sword by a long shot.

Testing in Void, Potting, with a Bersker Necklace with Obby Mace, and a rune defender; so far I'm two-hitting yaks for more frequently than with a whip using the same set up.

Not to mention that the mace lets you train all three combat stats on crush.

Dairith.gif

hello again, congratulations on hot topic =D>

the point i tried to bring up earlier was that the kb does not mention anything about the necklace giving +20% to attack. it only gives +20% to strength, that being said; the str (as showcased with many obby maul accounts) makes up for the lost accuracy, however i cannot imagine it has more than +5% accuracy due to the strength bonus.

however, if you tested it versus a d scim, you probably have found something, that nobody really knows about. i can imagine it getting alot of "wtf why not maul?" comments in runescape.

thanks for reading

-noble

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

hello again, congratulations on hot topic =D>

the point i tried to bring up earlier was that the kb does not mention anything about the necklace giving +20% to attack. it only gives +20% to strength, that being said; the str (as showcased with many obby maul accounts) makes up for the lost accuracy, however i cannot imagine it has more than +5% accuracy due to the strength bonus.

however, if you tested it versus a d scim, you probably have found something, that nobody really knows about. i can imagine it getting alot of "wtf why not maul?" comments in runescape.

thanks for reading

-noble

Yes, it's time to update my first post.

Yay on hot topic!

I recently discovered this training method and I must say it is an excellent way to gain experience.

Rune defender I'm sure would help (I've not gotten one yet... on my to do list) and I used the sword.

This thread bodes well for my brother's convoluted training plan incorporating an obsidian maul and ancient magicks.

My opinion is that the best combo is probably the mace or the maul... the maul has an advantage with its higher base accuracy and base strength, with the void melee set bonus it's reasonable to assume that the necklace's accuracy deduction is negligable. Especially when incorporating potions.

OH S***! He/she/it is back!

This was the first I ever heard of the berserker necklace effect, so I decided to do some research on it. All information is from either the Knowledge Base or the max hit calc. This is using cheap armor that most people should be able to afford, so it's not the best possible stats.

Obby Sword, Berserker Necklace: +39 stab +70 slash +72 strength +185 stab +205 slash +184 crush +182 range 26 max

Obby Mace, Berserker Necklace: +83 crush +89 strength +183 stab +202 slash +184 crush +182 range 28 max

Obby Dagger, Berserker Necklace: +70 stab +60 slash +82 strength +183 stab +202 slash +184 crush +182 range 30 max

Abyssal Whip, Amulet of Glory: +115 slash +114 strength +203 stab +222 slash +204 crush +202 range 28 max

Armor: Helm of Neitiznot (Berserker Helm may be preferred because of higher def bonuses), Fire Cape, Fighter Torso, Rune Legs, Rune Defender, Dragon Boots, Barrow Gloves. Better armor would make the obby weapons more useful because the -20 defence would become less significant.

The max hits are with 84 strength, no pot, no pray, according to the max hit calc here.

I was kind of confused, but apparently the dagger is better than the sword.

You might say that the 115 slash of the whip means it should be used everywhere, but remember that a Berserker Necklace makes all obby weapons hit 1/5 harder. This means that a 20 would turn into a 24, making obby weapons hit harder, more often.

According to this data, you would use whip if a monster is weak against slash, mace if weak against crush, and dagger if weak against stab.

i agree to what xpx said... but i played RS about three or four years ago and was there when the obsidian necklace came out it is the best necklace because of stats wise but its wasnt worth it back then but now? you can get it easily for 500k and the obby sword and all the other weapons personally dont cut it with me. ive used them alot on my main and have never been impressed the only thing that i really found myself hitting high with was a d-long and abyssal whip. and also look at the dragonstone amulet (forgot name) it was never very expensive before the obsidian necklace and you could buy as many as you wanted if u had the cash...

This was the first I ever heard of the berserker necklace effect, so I decided to do some research on it. All information is from either the Knowledge Base or the max hit calc. This is using cheap armor that most people should be able to afford, so it's not the best possible stats.

Obby Sword, Berserker Necklace: +39 stab +70 slash +72 strength +185 stab +205 slash +184 crush +182 range 26 max

Obby Mace, Berserker Necklace: +83 crush +89 strength +183 stab +202 slash +184 crush +182 range 28 max

Obby Dagger, Berserker Necklace: +70 stab +60 slash +82 strength +183 stab +202 slash +184 crush +182 range 30 max

Abyssal Whip, Amulet of Glory: +115 slash +114 strength +203 stab +222 slash +204 crush +202 range 28 max

Armor: Helm of Neitiznot (Berserker Helm may be preferred because of higher def bonuses), Fire Cape, Fighter Torso, Rune Legs, Rune Defender, Dragon Boots, Barrow Gloves. Better armor would make the obby weapons more useful because the -20 defence would become less significant.

The max hits are with 84 strength, no pot, no pray, according to the max hit calc here.

I was kind of confused, but apparently the dagger is better than the sword.

You might say that the 115 slash of the whip means it should be used everywhere, but remember that a Berserker Necklace makes all obby weapons hit 1/5 harder. This means that a 20 would turn into a 24, making obby weapons hit harder, more often.

According to this data, you would use whip if a monster is weak against slash, mace if weak against crush, and dagger if weak against stab.

I am going to say you probably got the Dagger and the Sword backwards (looking at the bonuses you posted).

Dagger = Toktz-xil-ek

Sword = Toktz-xil-ak

~Dan

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

The obby mace is a notch slower than the obby sword, 5 vs 6. Might not appear as much, but it's a difference that's adds up. The delay between each attack for the sword is 2.43 seconds, and for 3.04 for the mace. So for instance, in 1 hour of combat itself, the sword will hit 1481 times, and the mace will hit 1184 times. Which means the extra power of the mace must be able to make up for about 300 hits/hour in order to be the best, which is a bit difficult to calculate, but we can deduce.

Obby sword

Stab 47

Slash 38

Crush -2

Strength 49

Obby mace

Stab -4

Slash -4

Crush 62

Strength 56

Now if we look at how the berserker necklace works by itself: it increases final damage by 20%, NOT strength by 20%. That's why a weak weapon like this can rivalize with the whip. Your combat stats do most of the work, and of the outcome the necklace adds a nice bonus to it. We can't conclude for sure without field calculations but if you deduce, the obby sword's speed most likely makes it the best. Because your stats and the bonus do most of the work, not the weapon, and as such extra speed is preferable. As a side note, the necklace drops all defence by 20, so for instance if you have ~250 defence everywhere, it gets dropped to 230, which is no big deal for high level players. Other side note, because low level players lack good combat stats, the obby mace is probably best for them.

2480+ total

Well, I'm sure that the combination is effective. We've established that. But, as you said, the supplies for a berserker necklace were very expensive. If you were going to make one (i believe you said it cost about 3mil) why would you sell it on the ge for (again I estimate) 500k? I'm sure it would be almost impossible to find one. And, with the sara sword (or godsword, i've seen many used for training) this combination might have become useless for higher level players. The sara swords and godswords are more expensive, but more effective. Those players who have played long enough to be familiar with it (I hadn't heard of it before this article tbh) are usually strong enough that sara swords or godswords are more efficient than obby weps.

ae84735921.png

Porsche: It's supposed to go in the rear.

I am going to say you probably got the Dagger and the Sword backwards (looking at the bonuses you posted).

Dagger = Toktz-xil-ek

Sword = Toktz-xil-ak

~Dan

That's what I thought too, but if you according to the the max hit calc, it's the other way around.

With void and a potion you can get the maul hitting well into the 40s in the mid 80s of str level.

The mace is better than the sword, it hits harder and it hits with crush which many things are weak against. The maul is the best though in my opinion, sure it's slow but it's the most accurate and hits hardest.

Darn shame there isn't an obsidian halberd. :(

First of all well put together :thumbsup: .

I remember there being a guide to training using the Zerker necklace and the maul, mace or sword a while back (I think it got lost during the forum roll back).

If I remember correctly the conclusion was there where at least a 10% increase in exp per hour then the other methods available at the times (the guide was written a few months after the necklace came out), well at least for strength training.

Is strange how this topic popped up not too long after I had to explain the combo to my brother. Its true most people have either never heard of it or choose to ignore it.

I must be honest I've never tried it myself, but when I get my new accounts stats to the required levels I'll give it a go.

PS. You need to note the necklace is a bit hit and miss on the grand exchange.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Is strange how this topic popped up not too long after I had to explain the combo to my brother. Its true most people have either never heard of it or choose to ignore it.

Of course they ignore it... people are afraid to admit that they've been doing something in a less efficient way than is possible, and/or are afraid of being called a noob for using a weapon deemed to be pathetic.

Hilarious though, considering the combo regularly outhits a whip/z spear/ss - generally the weapons the ones calling you a noob are using.

I think part of it is just lack of knowledge...I never really thought of the berserker necklace since it came out. I'll probably end up trying it for str training, see if its better then scimmy.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Thanks for all the replies. I'd like to respond to some.

1. Highlanders. I'm quoting you and adding your post to my note about Mace v. Sword. Credit given.

2. My friend got an instant buy on both pieces (sword, not mace). However another took quite a bit of time. As said, it's "hit and miss".

The necklace/obby wep combo was overrated in the first place, don't forget that the necklace lowers all of your defence and attack stats quite considerably,

the drop in stats from a whip and a fury is far greater than 20%, not to mention the speed, so ignoring it seems to be quite logical

There are some things missing here. You state that the loss in attack bonuses can be offsetted by the Rune Defender. This is not entirely true. While the Defender does increase attack bonuses, the overall bonus is still less then what it would be without the necklace. So even with the Defender, accuracy is still reduced.

Something else that no-one has pointed out either yet is for this to be a comparison to the Abyssal Whip/Dragon Scimitar, a suitable amulet is worn, in this case a Fury. What wasn't pointed out is that the Fury gives positive bonuses to attack (+10 to all). This means overall, simply by comparing the amulet/necklace worn, the person with the Fury is already ahead by +20. Seeing as the Whip/Scimitar already has a higher attack bonuses compared to the TokTz-Xil-Ak/TzHaar-Ket-Em (Sword/Maul), the difference is even greater.

Also the Fury gives positive defence bonuses (+15). Meaning that this person is already ahead in defence by +35 defence to all areas (slash/mage etc). People say the defence reduction is too small to be of a difference, but it is. Also note that the Fury has +5 prayer bonus whereas the Berserker Necklace has none. This decreases prayer drain, extends usage of prayer potions and overall saves more money. The Fury even has +1 better strength bonus, but that really is too negligiable to count.

ydrasil.png

The necklace/obby wep combo was overrated in the first place, don't forget that the necklace lowers all of your defence and attack stats quite considerably,

the drop in stats from a whip and a fury is far greater than 20%, not to mention the speed, so ignoring it seems to be quite logical

Although the decrease in attack and defense is there, I still hit almost as often as I do with whip, and the same max hit with obby sword.

It makes it an extremely good strength training weapon, especially when defense doesn't matter (because of prayer)

~Dan

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

There are some things missing here. You state that the loss in attack bonuses can be offsetted by the Rune Defender. This is not entirely true. While the Defender does increase attack bonuses, the overall bonus is still less then what it would be without the necklace. So even with the Defender, accuracy is still reduced.

Something else that no-one has pointed out either yet is for this to be a comparison to the Abyssal Whip/Dragon Scimitar, a suitable amulet is worn, in this case a Fury. What wasn't pointed out is that the Fury gives positive bonuses to attack (+10 to all). This means overall, simply by comparing the amulet/necklace worn, the person with the Fury is already ahead by +20. Seeing as the Whip/Scimitar already has a higher attack bonuses compared to the TokTz-Xil-Ak/TzHaar-Ket-Em (Sword/Maul), the difference is even greater.

Also the Fury gives positive defence bonuses (+15). Meaning that this person is already ahead in defence by +35 defence to all areas (slash/mage etc). People say the defence reduction is too small to be of a difference, but it is. Also note that the Fury has +5 prayer bonus whereas the Berserker Necklace has none. This decreases prayer drain, extends usage of prayer potions and overall saves more money. The Fury even has +1 better strength bonus, but that really is too negligiable to count.

My response will anwser the poster above your post also.

It's true the defender isn't the miracle solution, but it sure does help, doesn't it? Even though there is a 20 attack point deficit when compared to whip+fury, that isn't a whole lot. Take right now, for example. My slayer task is Suqahs. With my guthans on to heal, my attack bonuses are a flat +97. And I rarely miss. Remember these are level 111 suqahs, with considerable defence. That being said, I'm convinced +80ish (I'm using a glory) instead of +97 will work fine. I am 89 attack, however.

I must go back to Highlander's post. A major factor is your level. If you rarely miss anyway, the extra strength bonus will help a lot.