"I want a girlfriend/boyfriend", and other such relationship advice

Da_Latios

dammit I wanted to be ironic and say that Noxx should forget her and move on, but alas I posted too late to be humorous.

I don't reall have any counter advice, save maybe asking her friends if she's been acting weird around them, as well.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I was going to pm muggi and tell him to suggest he dump her lol

• Like 1

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

I found that despite whatever I'm feeling, in my opinion, the word love shouldn't be used. I think it's much more practical and safe to say, 'like you a lot,' 'like you a ton,' etc.

Unless the relationship is heading towards engagement/marriage, I won't be using the word love. The last time I did it, it got me in a pretty big mess.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

At what point is it ok to profess your love for your girlfriend? Now obviously it varies from girl to girl, but how long do you guys usually wait?

When you believe that you do, considering infatuation, and that she will not freak out or feel like the chase is over. I said believe, because you won't know for sure when.

Sort of related, but I meant to post this talk anyway: http://on.ted.com/f71P

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

At what point is it ok to profess your love for your girlfriend? Now obviously it varies from girl to girl, but how long do you guys usually wait?

I wait precisely 16 days 5 hours and 32 minutes. This gives enough time to align my pheromones with her hormonal cycle.

And if you truly believe there's a numerical answer to your question, please stay away from relationships.

This question's best answer is truly the cliche "you'll know when you feel it" because that's the only correct answer.

I found that despite whatever I'm feeling, in my opinion, the word love shouldn't be used. I think it's much more practical and safe to say, 'like you a lot,' 'like you a ton,' etc.

Unless the relationship is heading towards engagement/marriage, I won't be using the word love. The last time I did it, it got me in a pretty big mess.

I agree with that. When i was younger i used to throw the word around a lot. But i realized that what i felt was more often than not infatuation instead of love. I believe that if you love someone, you should not have to tell them at all, because they should be able to see it in the things you do.

I agree with that. When i was younger i used to throw the word around a lot. But i realized that what i felt was more often than not infatuation instead of love. I believe that if you love someone, you should not have to tell them at all, because they should be able to see it in the things you do.

On a similar strand, I whole heartedly believe that I was in love before. Not like you guys can truthfully tell me otherwise, but my point is I won't ever call anything love until I feel something like that again, so I doubt I'll be saying "I love you" to too many people I date. I have a high expectation for that feeling haha

Wait for her to say it first.

what happens when she has the same mentality?

Does it even matter anyway?

Then you dump her.

top score!

can we rename the thread "I (don't) want a girlfriend/boyfriend, and other relationship advice"?

@muggi:

not sure if comment was serious, but If you wait for her and she waits for you, no one is going to say anything.

She'll say it... eventually.

-----

I'm not sure why some of you are freaking out about advising others to dump their partners. Actually, I do know why. And I think this post from another forum is very relevant to what you guys are arguing against. Granted, the context is different (in that thread they're arguing about "toxic" women-- in other words, unstable women with mental health issues and dangerous lifestyles), however the point is still the same.

The bottom line is-- if your partner is making you unhappy, then your options are:

1. Try to "make it work"

2. End the relationship

The fact that so many people are unwilling to choose option #2 is one of the biggest reasons why so many relationships these days are stagnant. Not every relationship is "fixable." Hell, I'd go as far as to say that no relationship is fixable. Rather, it's a matter of "this is what this person is like; this is what I'm like; this is how we both are when we're together, and I really can't do anything to change that... so am I happy with this? Will I be happy with this for the rest of my life?" When people start thinking like that, and they start to think "maybe not..." that's when problems start to develop... and you can't blame them for having those thoughts. Furthermore, you really can't blame them for opting out if they know deep down that their relationship will never live up to their expectations.

I think part of the reason why people allow themselves to remain in shitty relationships is because of some of the beliefs shown recently in this thread-- they think that choosing option #2 is admitting defeat and failure. Sure, that's one way to think of it I guess, at least if long-term monogamy is your goal (which it shouldn't be, but I digress). But I don't see it that way at all. I think choosing option #2 is simply being smart.

77yLQy8.png

It's not really a matter of defeat... I guess it's more accurate to say people think of it as an investment. If you next as soon as something goes wrong you might be missing out on something, no? long-term relationships of any kind can't possibly be all happiness, I think.

More on this later, but Omar sort of hit gold here. Humans are incredibly bad at certain things. One of those things is sunk resources (resources you have already spent pursing some objective). You've already put effort into the relationship, and the human inclination is to keep throwing good money after bad, because we are unable to grasp that the money/time is gone, we aren't getting it back, and we should just move on. If we move on, we feel like everything already invested has been wasted, and we don't want to waste our resources, so we plod on.

There is also something to the fear of being single.

As another point, you can't be happy all the time. As it applies to the actual endorphins which make you feel good, your brain is specifically designed to not allow you to feel good all the time, or even most of the time (not that you can't enjoy life, you just can't be happy as a clam 24/7). The brain gives you your feel good drug essentially for completing objectives as your reward. Then once you have enjoyed your reward it takes your drug away so that you will pursue the next goal. My point being you can't sustain enjoyment of your life without change, without achieving things. If you stagnate, you don't get your feel good drug anymore.

Essentially, your brain was specifically crafted to force you to continually experience new things and better yourself, and will punish you for stagnating by making you miserable. If you think about it for a bit, this explains the whole honey moon phase phenomenon.

Yes, you're right-- and the people who fail (or refuse) to acknowledge those simple truths are going to suffer in the long-run for doing so.

The sooner you understand how your brain/emotions work, the sooner you can start thinking: "Hmm, how can I structure my life and behave such that this obsolete brain of mine won't impede on my long-term happiness?"

77yLQy8.png

Where's the but? I wasn't just explaining the reasoning behind the behaviour you were criticizing, I was advocating it for certain cases (i.e. not Furah's).

First a correction. I expect I meant dopamine, not endorphins. Biology is more of a hobby, so I try to keep grounded in the concepts, but memorizing words has never been my thing.

Something to understand about this thread is we really get two kinds of people coming here for advice. First, we have the people who don't have a lot of dating experience and for whatever reason aren't obtaining, or are unable to obtain, dating wisdom through more conventional channels (friends and older siblings). These are the people we shouldn't be letting muggy and his corrupting ways talk to :P

The second, and I would say more common, group, are the people who are in a bad spot and they know they need to get out of it, but they need permission to do so. Furah being a great recent example. His story is overflowing with the knowledge that he needs to change something, but he's overwhelmed and just needs someone to tell him what to do. More often than not, people who come here essentially seeking permission for something are in a spot where they need to walk away. By the time the doubts are getting big enough that you come to us, shit hit the fan a long time ago and you've been eating turd sandwiches since, and your tired of it.

We also get the occasional people popping in to tell us how things are going.