Today...

Leoo

I read a story in college about a guy who was drafted for the Vietnam war, and took a boat and snuck off to Canada. But when he was just offshore, he decided to go back and do "what was right". That was basically the whole story.

I wouldn't have turned around

Honest statement:I know it's not really a big deal where it exists, but the whole concept of forced military service terrifies me to no end. Like, I'm terrified Trump will get elected and with his lack of foreign policy experience we'll end up in a war and I'll get drafted. I literally can't fathom living in a country where every single (able-bodied male) person has to join the military because of the law, even if there's not a chance of going to war.

Like, I think the barrier to entry is too high for me to legally qualify as a pacifist, but the older I get the more I feel like one, and the more the concept of the military is repulsive to me. Idk how other people deal with it, especially in places where they don't have a choice.

I don't think a draft is in the cards not for any grand libertarian ideals but simply because it is ineffective to try and recruit/force a bunch of people who really don't want to be there to fight in the army. Even for people there voluntarily it's not an easy task from what I understand - it's not like being a cashier at Wal-Mart. It would, of course, be the ultimate pinnacle irony if Trump were the one to institute it.

So my grandma died today, or I guess yesterday since it's 3am here currently.

It sucks but she was so sick and ill for the past 10 years or so that I had basically long accepted her death before it finally happened.

I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope you're okay :(.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

A war with Russia or China would be about the only thing that would cause conscription to be implemented by the states now, I'd think. And neither is particularly likely...

Anyway, the idea of conscription should be terrifying, because it would mean the existence of the country would be in serious jeopardy. I don't think most people would be excited about the idea, but given the right circumstances, it becomes something that needs to be done rather than something that one wants to be done.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Its a cultural thing mostly. If you grew up around it it would be like second nature to you. Because it would literally be your first nature. Kinda like how most gum advocates come from states with much more relaxed gun laws. If you're around something a lot you get used to it quickly, especially at a young age.

I've lived my whole life in Nebraska. For a 2-4 year period of middle/high school, I went with my dad to a shooting range and watched him and his buddies shoot...I don't even remember the terminology now, but the like clay disks that get flung out of the disk throwers. I never shot with them, and the one time they handed me a shotgun and forced me to take a shot at a completely still clay disk, I was super scared of the gun and didn't want at all to shoot it, and I never shot again afterwards.

I was probably too young to really have an educated political opinion on guns, but these days I'm pretty anti-gun, and I think this country desperately needs better gun control. And I'm in one of the most conservative, gun-friendly states in the country.

I don't really wanna have a gun debate, just pointing out that, while you're correct about lax gun control laws/conscription laws breeding support for that sort of thing, on an individual basis it doesn't necessarily apply. I still think I'd be afraid of military service if I lived in Estonia, and I doubt Estonia's military propaganda is as heavy as America's, so that can't be it either.

And to clarify my Trump statement, I don't think he'd declare war (because the US is perfectly happy to just let our wars be run as executive actions, which is a whole other problem), I think he'd insult some other country the way he does with every minority in this country, and they'd declare war on us.

It's probably not going to happen, because I have to believe this country is going to realize what Trump is saying at some point, and even if he does get elected, America has a scary military, but it's still a frightening concept to me.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

We don't have that military propaganda here. When you are a male and get 17 you receive a letter from the government that you are now eligible for conscription. And any year thereafter you may receive a letter to be at a medical examination somewhere. At least here the situation is quite secure, you are guaranteed by the state to have your school spot or work position until you are finished in 8 or 11 months, depending on the service. Also, all student loans and whatnot are frozen, you receive some pay, free board, and even medical care while you are in the army.

That is just the way of life, just yesterday we celebrated the 25th anniversary of our reindependence. And to avoid ever having to have another liberation day or whatever, we take all precautions. Not easy living right next door to Russia. Or Sweden.

• Like 1

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Its a cultural thing mostly. If you grew up around it it would be like second nature to you. Because it would literally be your first nature. Kinda like how most gum advocates come from states with much more relaxed gun laws. If you're around something a lot you get used to it quickly, especially at a young age.

I've lived my whole life in Nebraska. For a 2-4 year period of middle/high school, I went with my dad to a shooting range and watched him and his buddies shoot...I don't even remember the terminology now, but the like clay disks that get flung out of the disk throwers. I never shot with them, and the one time they handed me a shotgun and forced me to take a shot at a completely still clay disk, I was super scared of the gun and didn't want at all to shoot it, and I never shot again afterwards.

I was probably too young to really have an educated political opinion on guns, but these days I'm pretty anti-gun, and I think this country desperately needs better gun control. And I'm in one of the most conservative, gun-friendly states in the country.

I don't really wanna have a gun debate, just pointing out that, while you're correct about lax gun control laws/conscription laws breeding support for that sort of thing, on an individual basis it doesn't necessarily apply. I still think I'd be afraid of military service if I lived in Estonia, and I doubt Estonia's military propaganda is as heavy as America's, so that can't be it either.

And to clarify my Trump statement, I don't think he'd declare war (because the US is perfectly happy to just let our wars be run as executive actions, which is a whole other problem), I think he'd insult some other country the way he does with every minority in this country, and they'd declare war on us.

It's probably not going to happen, because I have to believe this country is going to realize what Trump is saying at some point, and even if he does get elected, America has a scary military, but it's still a frightening concept to me.

But uhh, who would declare war on us? If I may indulge in a moment of nationalism, I think we have a standing military larger than the next so many countries combined. Also we have all sorts of treaties - wouldn't we have all of NATO involved too? It would just seem like a suicide pact for any country to attempt it, and I think any sort of invasion is strictly contained to the realm of North Korean fantasy films.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I think we have a standing military larger than the next so many countries combined. Also we have all sorts of treaties - wouldn't we have all of NATO involved too? It would just seem like a suicide pact for any country to attempt it, and I think any sort of invasion is strictly contained to the realm of North Korean fantasy films.

The US is 7th in the world in military size (by number of serving members). Your point still stands though.

polvCwJ.gif

I think we have a standing military larger than the next so many countries combined. Also we have all sorts of treaties - wouldn't we have all of NATO involved too? It would just seem like a suicide pact for any country to attempt it, and I think any sort of invasion is strictly contained to the realm of North Korean fantasy films.

The US is 7th in the world in military size (by number of serving members). Your point still stands though.

Ah oops, I misremembered - it was military spending that I was thinking of.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

North Korea declares war on the US almost annually but nothing ever comes from it. I imagine at most Ecuador would declare war in a trump run USA which would result in a similar fashion of nothing

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

North Korea declares war on the US almost annually but nothing ever comes from it. I imagine at most Ecuador would declare war in a trump run USA which would result in a similar fashion of nothing

Ecuador is actually fairly stable

polvCwJ.gif

Isn't their leader infamous for starting twitter fights or am I thinking of a different Latin country?

Isn't their leader infamous for starting twitter fights or am I thinking of a different Latin country?

Oh, yes he is! I remember that now, it was pretty funny getting into it with John Oliver.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

So my grandma died today, or I guess yesterday since it's 3am here currently.

It sucks but she was so sick and ill for the past 10 years or so that I had basically long accepted her death before it finally happened.

I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope you're okay :(.

Yeah, I'm fine.

With how bad she was (and her age, she was 89), it was more 'it was her time to go' than anything else for me.

Again and why I started with international relations and states as actors of their own.

Would calling the chinese a bunch of no good scammars and racist terms lead to them starting an anti-american embargo? No. You know why? Because both states consider the trade relation they currently have to be enormously beneficial. Kind of like how were willing to trade countries with lousy human rights records.

You should definitely check out international relations theories and see how well they predict state behavior. Regardless of the characters in charge.

Read the Wikipedia article. As with most social science stuff I read, I feel pretty out of my depth, and I don't think I understood most of it :/

But yeah, you're right, no one's going to attack America that isn't already, since we've got a stupid big military and we trade with a lot of other states. I know it's an excessive worry, but I still irrationally think about it sometimes, I guess.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I must be the only person to actually want to join the military, but is not able to. I've always wanted to join the Air Force. In fact, it's really the only thing that ever kept me going with the whole aviation thing. I wanted to either be a pilot in bombers like the B52 (or something similar), or fly cargo/transport in something like a C17 (by far one of my favorite planes). Problem is, the only Air Force i can realistically join in the South African one and i'd never do that. I've inquired about joining the USAF but they don't enlist foreigners. I think the Canadian AF does enlist foreigners, under certain circumstances, and the same goes for Australia. Kinda sucks. 

I think the Canadian AF does enlist foreigners, under certain circumstances,

I'm pretty sure you have to be a citizen.

Or you need a residence permit, or something of the sorts. It's something like: if you live in Canada as a permanent resident without having lived there long enough to get citizenship. 

But to get a residence permit you need a job first. So the only way to join the Canadian AR as a non-citizen, you need to live there as a permanent resident already. Something like that. The Canadian military is a bit more lenient than the US military in those regards. I don't think it's possible to join the US military as non-citizen, unless you're like a translator or something. 

It's the same for a few other countries.

It's exactly 25 years, and 2 days that we have had our independence reinstated.

It was at 11.03 PM on 20. of August 1991 that the declaration of reindependence was passed in the parliament of (Soviet) Estonia.

It has been a heck of a ride.

You have no idea how much that thing means for us. Russian tanks were at our capital at the time. People were barricading the TV tower and radio building and the governmental offices. Nobody of the people who signed the declaration were certain if they survive the night...

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

My paycheck next week will reflect that I put in about 84 hours (bi weekly, don't get excited). Of those 84 hours I might have worked about 5. Can't wait to leave this slow ass work flow