Today...

Leoo

Not sure your age but start small. Your first job only matters for the future references. And most jobs don't call you, you have to know someone on the inside most of the time. Consider yourself blessed if a job calls you

Yeah, I'm only 20, so I've just been applying at like every retail place I can think of for basic minimum wage job.

Work has been so slow that I only actually worked for about an hour of my 9 hour shift today. I literally have a headache from doing nothing for too long

Welcome to my world. Imagine doing that for 2 weeks straight and that's been work for the last little bit.

Now you've got me sad. My mate who used to run our DnD games moved away. It was mostly his mates and I don't know many people who would be keen for it. Playing DnD is one of my favourite things to do.

https://roll20.net/

With regards to games: FE project is still ongoing and is getting farther from the source material's lore and flavor by the post. It's also proving to be far beyond my writing and planning skills :v

You probably want 2 different checks. One for the critical path length and one for extra rooms. If your making it work like dungeoneering.

I just check crit length since usually you skip the rest anyway.

Btw does anyone remember if a room can contain more than 1 key? I'm pretty sure they can, but not 100%

You probably want 2 different checks. One for the critical path length and one for extra rooms. If your making it work like dungeoneering.

I just check crit length since usually you skip the rest anyway.

Btw does anyone remember if a room can contain more than 1 key? I'm pretty sure they can, but not 100%

No, a room can only have (at most) one key spawn.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Life is short so make something of it. Sorry for your losses.

I'm terribly bored at work again. Today I've done about 6 minutes of work in 6hours and I still have a little overy 2 hours to go. It's brutal. At least I'm getting paid to play hearthstone

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Well, I'm finally all moved into my apartment in Seattle! The apartment is super nice. I just got my internet hooked up today. So far I haven't seen too much of the city, but I got to try a crazy good Korean place after I came into town and got to catch up with an old friend who's interning at another company here over drinks last night. Today I managed to go on a nice run around my neighborhood and now I'm on my way to find a gym membership. 

Also finally found out what I'm going to be working on when my job starts on Monday. Apparently I'll be joining a team that develops front-end framework for the company's user dashboard as well as a notification system for the application. The description I was given is still pretty vague though but I'll learn more when I start monday. I'm nervous though; my team apparently uses an all JavaScript stack using angular/node/mongoDB, and I've honestly done very little with JavaScript; most of my experience has been doing back-end work in C++/Java. Hopefully iy won't be *too* bad of a learning curve though.

You'll be fine. Just don't be afraid to ask your coworkers for help. You're probably already better than half the people doing front end javascript

I concur. Most people I've run into who know javascript picked it up on the fly. It's not really that hard of a language either.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I've been sick at home for nearly a week now. Saw my family doctor for the first time today, apparently test results from my analyses were also not right. Getting new tests done on Monday, have to spend at my parents house without a computer or proper internet until that time...

Shittiest part is, I actually do feel sick. Nauseous. My heart is racing or other moments feels like not existing at all. My body temperature is a lot lower than it should be (it is under 36 Celsius, for the first time in my life). I am completely exhausted all the bloody time.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I had an idea a few days ago: make easy-to-remember and easy-to-correct word-soup stories from high-entropy binary data (like encryption keys or small, highly compressed files). In essence, a verbal QR code. A carefully selected dictionary, well-designed phrase templates, and some techniques like alliteration should really help ensure efficient memorization and recollection.

The process is rather simple: define various categories of nouns, verbs, and adjectives (word tables), where each word represents a unique bit-pattern; craft specific 'plot points' using these categories; and then fill in the blanks with matching words to encode a message.

After two days of development and a day building a crude dictionary, it encoded a message:

78dy55I.png

(First command generated random binary data, second command displayed it, third step encoded it).

Named it 'Finn' because of Finnegan's Wake, the most famous word-soup of them all...

The word tables are terrible, but the proof-of-concept works. The same data can be encoded to multiple messages. Any words not in the tables aren't used to encode/decode; they're filler. With a better selection, I could represent 64 bits with 8 words. Thinking of making nouns 9-bits, verbs 8-bits, and adjectives 6-bits; thus, I'd need 4 nouns, 2 verbs, and 2 adjectives. Going to use adverbs as checksum bits--they won't be necessary to decode the message, only help verify you remember the message correctly.

The best part, I think, is going to be the password entry mechanism. You'd be able to delete mistakes in word-size chunks; it would display something like '***' for each distinct word. That's the primary motivation, because entering 80+ character passphrases a couple times a day can get annoying. I'd be fine with entering something a bit longer if I could fix mistakes quickly.

Now I need to find an open source dictionary with the specific data I need to automate generating the 'word tables'...

edit: God damn it I figured out something infinitely better, I think, when trying to go to bed. Something like a 4x4 grid with objects in the grid.

You could have a 'large red elephant' at (1, 1) and a 'tiny blue toad' at (3, 2). That would be much easier to remember still, much easier to enter (say, some navigation and some typing), and much shorter. It would scale so much more nicely, as well...

edit 2: On reflection, it wouldn't be better, and I do poorly with spatial memory anyway. Nice.

• Like 2

ozXHe7P.png

What I understand of that was pretty awesome

Doing some military training for the next week or so. Only thing that really sucks is that it all consists of live fire activities, meaning that over the next week my accomplishment may be in not catching a bullet.

Doing some military training for the next week or so. Only thing that really sucks is that it all consists of live fire activities, meaning that over the next week my accomplishment may be in not catching a bullet.

Did you enlist? I thought you didn't get internet access in BMQ....at least at the beginning

polvCwJ.gif

Reservist going on 2 years now so I didn't have to deal with any of that. Got my courses last year.

Ahh cool, makes sense.

How do you find it? I hear a lot of complaints about being underfunded and bureaucratic and all that...

polvCwJ.gif

It can suck by times doing stuff like training with less than ideal kit or missing out on training due to lack of funding. However I'd say overall that we do well with what we have and receive great training. Lots of opportunity for work when trained and pay is relatively good although nobody is really here expecting great pay.

As for beauracracy at a ground level it seems ridiculous some of the issues we have, such as not even being able to get decent boots, but I'm sure that somewhere all the issues in that regard just seem bad from the bottom.

• Like 1

2 of my mates just got out of the boot camp from the first time since starting with service in early July.

We're one of the few remaining European countries with mandatory conscription left. Probably something to do with being neighbours with Russia. And we are pretty much one of very few NATO member consistently spending over 2% GDP on military. In recent years, it has been even more like over 3% with modernising of all branches of military and building a brand new NATO airfield.

Anyways, they also told how some equipment is old, even from Soviet times. Think flashlights, shovels, other such stuff that doesn't really need an upgrade. But most of the equipment is top notch, new. But both complained about long marches in full equipment, which is nearly 50 kilos.

As of me, I am most probably exempt from the conscription due to issues with my knee. Having cartilage, meniscus and ligament damages are no easy stuff, especially when you have to wear heavy stuff through bogs and forests.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Caught up with an old friend from my internship last summer last night and saw this laser show of Pink Floyd's The Wall which was [bleep]ing incredible. I love this city.

Today I spent my whole day buying furniture. I now have a bed frame, nightstand, bookshelf, and dresser, as well as a kitchen table and chairs (which made for a really not fun 143 pound box to carry up three flights of stairs with my roommate haha). Just have to find a mattress and some sheets and put everything together and I'll finally have a fully functional room. This all just feels so adult and surreal lmfao. 

I just wish I knew more people here, feels kinda lame staying in on my first saturday night here but I'm sure more exciting things will happen in time.

Honest statement:I know it's not really a big deal where it exists, but the whole concept of forced military service terrifies me to no end. Like, I'm terrified Trump will get elected and with his lack of foreign policy experience we'll end up in a war and I'll get drafted. I literally can't fathom living in a country where every single (able-bodied male) person has to join the military because of the law, even if there's not a chance of going to war.

Like, I think the barrier to entry is too high for me to legally qualify as a pacifist, but the older I get the more I feel like one, and the more the concept of the military is repulsive to me. Idk how other people deal with it, especially in places where they don't have a choice.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Its a cultural thing mostly. If you grew up around it it would be like second nature to you. Because it would literally be your first nature. Kinda like how most gum advocates come from states with much more relaxed gun laws. If you're around something a lot you get used to it quickly, especially at a young age.