Today...

Leoo

I've had 5 suits in my life so far. Never go H&M.

A proper suit is something you shouldn't skimp on. Unless you wear it 4-5 days a week like I do, it'll last a lifetime.

WHERE IS THE NEXT THREAD??

What thread?
I believe he is referencing Miss Hottie. We have waited this long, we need resolution!

I bought 1 thing on cyber Monday. Age of empires 2 HD remake. $5. All I'll ever need.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I beat Pokemon Sun after 75 hours. In most RPGs I follow some theme for a character. In Bloodborne, I was a fiery anti-theist. In RuneScape an executioner for Zaros. So on.

Well, in Pokemon, I was the God King Ditto. In human form.

I spent 40-some hours breeding and training a perfect team: Ulyaoth the Milotic, after the Ancient from Eternal Darkness; Mercy the Mimikyu, after Arya's alias in A Song of Ice and Fire; Storm King the Kommo-o after the final boss of the storm shrines area in Demon's Souls; Fool's Idol the Ribombee after the first boss in the Tower of Latria from Demon's Souls; Pernix the Decidueye after the Zarosian ranger from RuneScape; and Lady Death the Salazzle after Death's daughter from the Discworld series.

It was terrible because I can't yet transfer my perfect Dittos I have from prior generation. It would've been like five, ten hours work if I could.

But it was amazing. It made the game too easy. I OHKO'd nearly everything regardless of level. But that's what happens when you're the God King Ditto. And the character's constant, empty smile fit the theme so well, which was a bonus.

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

Last night I learned that I am total trash at Age of Empires on a competitive scale haha. I guess that's what happens when you take a 10 year hiatus from a game

Yeah people were hitting the castle age and I was still screwing around in the feudal age trying to max all my stats. Silly me

My laptop keyboard is having issues so I ordered a new one and I'll be performing open heart surgery on my laptop if it gets there tomorrow like USPS says it will. And not a moment too soon, a s e keys are all having problems/flying off and left ctrl has been dead for months.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I never was any good at AoE, but I could only play it friends houses, and I'm demonstrably bad at strategy games anyway. Still, I have fond memories of AoE (and Empire Earth), and I quite enjoy the HD remake. Go Byzantines!

Made my pick for my new GPU on Cyber Monday. I changed my mind a lot of times up till the end, but in the end, despite the exchangerate and inflated prices turning all GPU purchases into highway robbery, I decided to go for an ASUS 480 Strix that was on a pretty big sale. I was thinking about saving an unreasonable amount of money with a 4GB model, but I wont upgrade again for at least 3 years, and by the looks of things, I wont have any need to replace my CPU next year, so I plan on getting into VR instead, so I want a GPU I can flog a bit. Speaking of flogging, I'm genuinely interested to see if my CPU will actually be totally obsolete before my next GPU upgrade. DDR4 memory has so far failed to address the memory gap (we need a faster response time more than increased bandwidth), and quantum physics is currently preventing smaller die sizes, so the already very slow increases in performance are looking to get even slower for at least a couple years.

AoE is a Windows only game, I think published by Microsoft. It's not demanding though, so I'm sure Wine is up to the task.

I'll have to implement some of those strategies in future games, I appreciate the tips:)

I figured out how to generate dungeons

So dungeons are trees, right? Which means that a dungeon on 64 vertices has exactly 63 edges. So then you just have to generate an arbitrary tree (either hard code one or generate one by drawing each horizontal edge and 1 vertical edge per row). Then you can take any 1-vertex, disconnect its edge, then reconnect it to another adjacent vertex. This is legal because, by the definition of a tree, the 1-vertex is connected to at least a 2-vertex, so removing the vertex and edge leaves you with a n-1 graph with n-2 edges, which is still a tree. Reconnecting that vertex to another vertex adds 1 vertex and 1 edge, so it's still a tree. Repeat a bunch of times on random 1-vertices and you get a nice looking dungeon. Then you can prune 1-vertices as much as you want. Much nicer than that other approach. I'm worried that it won't randomize much near the center of the dungeon though

I'm very unsure what that meant without a visual

Speaking of programming

Finally starting programming proper at work, and obviously the first step is to get the code base from the repository. So I do that, check it out from the svn repo, and there's three folders, trunk, branches, and notes. Typical stuff, so I try and run the project in the trunk.

Nope. Missing some other projects. Pull those down. Nope, they're not correctly pointed to by the first project. Redirect those, nope, there's DLLs missing. Find those and add them. Nope. Etc. Etc.

And I'm looking through documentation, trying to find any sort of setup instructions, trying to find any mention of the issues I'm running into. There's none. I was assigned a mentor to help me with my first projects, but she's busy with her own work and can't/doesn't help me.

Two days later, and I've got everything but the server connection working. Once I've got this, I'll be up and running. And my mentor finally has time to help me.

So she comes over, and looks at my file setup, and declares it all wrong, deleting everything I've worked on for the past two days.

She then IMs another woman at the company, asks what to do. That person sends links to some stuff in the repository. Specifically, branches of the three repos I checked out. Nothing in the trunks. Random branches, which apparently everyone is working from.

She pulls two different branches for each project (with essentially step by step instructions from the other person she contacted), and then pulls another repo which contains some bat scripts, one of which she runs. This script, as far as I can tell, combines some files from each of the repos she pulled and puts them into their own, new folder in the development directory.

That finishes, and we try and run it and it's still not working. So we figure out we need to install some program, but none of the three of us are sure what that program is, so my mentor goes home for the day. The lady she IM'd in the first line also signs off, but a couple minutes later messages me and tells me the program I needed.

I installed it and it didn't work, so I called it quits because my day was over already and I was frustrated.

But. Like. [bleep]. That was the most obtuse setup I've ever seen, and apparently *no one* thought to make some documentation so newbies don't have to spend 2 days trying to figure it out, and even veterans are unsure.

I'm so [bleep]ing mad. It's all going to be this obtuse, the coding, and the insurance terminology, and I'm so unexcited for it. I can't wait until my self imposed year is up and I can quit this place.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Unsure of the vocabulary but it sounds frustrating as [bleep].

Met a girl at a club tonight. It was noisy as all hell, as usual, so she asked me if i wanted to go grab a coffee somewhere quiet. We ended up going back to her place. Things got intimate. She whispers in my ear "i'm on my period". I'm like "cool, no worries". She's like "you can still [bleep] me if you want". I'm like "later fam i hear cows coming home".

Don't think i'll be calling her again Pity too, she was really cute. But i'm a little grossed out now.

Met a girl at a club tonight. It was noisy as all hell, as usual, so she asked me if i wanted to go grab a coffee somewhere quiet. We ended up going back to her place. Things got intimate. She whispers in my ear "i'm on my period". I'm like "cool, no worries". She's like "you can still [bleep] me if you want". I'm like "later fam i hear cows coming home".

Don't think i'll be calling her again Pity too, she was really cute. But i'm a little grossed out now.

No, come on Noxx, we're posting programming stuff to which RPG will respond with "I don't understand but I'm supportive of you"
  • Like 1

Yeah that's similar to the original algorithm (except the queue was implicit). The problem is that there's a non-zero probability that an early vertex has no children, which limits the size of the dungeon and therefore gives you bad dungeons occasionally. There are a couple of ways to counteract this, but they're either probabilistic (i.e. weighting your RNG against the size of the dungeon) or obtuse (i.e. forcing the dungeon to continue adding children until it reaches a minimum size). I'd much rather go with the solution that provably creates a good dungeon every time. The implementation is much nicer too.

Speaking of programming, I've done some good work on the secret project since I finished Pokemon.

230 hours put into it so far, since late September. A giant leap considering four/five months ago I barely spent 5 hours even playing video games or watching TV a week.

ozXHe7P.png

Apparently I didn't look hard enough, because with the help of three other programmers I got everything set up, and then I took an hour or two to write up the process, sent it to the lead programmer to ask where to put it, and then promptly received a reply "oh, here's the document, but thanks for writing an updated version"

I looked in a parent folder for that. But it was hidden behind unrelated acronyms.

God. Heck.