Today...

Leoo

On the subject of transgender people being such a small minority: that's why it's so important the rest of us to help them as much as we can. One percent of the population is never going being represented in a democracy without a lot of help from the 99%.

Also, schizophrenia patients make up about 1% of the population as well and they're in a situation that's just as dire. As a country, we desperately need to advocate for the mentally ill a lot more than we currently do. A mental illness shouldn't have a 10-15% mortality rate from suicide alone.

It's a bit more complicated than mental hospitals releasing sick people.

There simply aren't adequate out-patient services in a lot of places, and in-patient services are only a truly viable solution in extreme cases.

No to mention the costs. I take a medication that is $600 a month. I go to therapy every 1-2 weeks, and have medication management appointments every few months. But I can only do that because I was rather lucky and receive Medicare and Medicaid!

Without these services, my symptoms would be unmanageable.

ozXHe7P.png

Isn't it interesting that even if transgender and schizophrenic people are such minority that they make up a large portion of activity on this thread the last 10 pages?

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Was having problems opening Atom, so I had to run rm -rf ~/.atom/storage. I can't handle that kind of pressure

A month ago I made a mistake where I deleted all my progress from a mistaken rm in a script. I now have rsync scheduled to run hourly.

But a project I'm working on has lots of data (10gb+ files) that's not possible to back up. I formatted the drive as ZFS and make snapshots regularly.

So if I 'rm importantfile', I can just 'zfs rollback pool/yyyymmdd' and be good as new!

ozXHe7P.png

internet service has been shitty so i spent some time looking at an external HDD I've been dumping files as old as 2003 into. There's some weird ass shit on there. I'd likely be best off deleting all but the music but....eh

I tried looking at several networking libraries for IPC like ZeroMQ, but couldn't figure out how to bidirectional push to a central server.

So I rolled my own just using bare sockets. There was a lot of rage when I screwed something up so badly that I caused a local denial of service attack and somehow exhausted file descriptors.

So I had to: 1) Test change. 2) Power off computer. 3) Type in 20 word passphrase. 4) Repeat.

That was painful...

ozXHe7P.png

So i met my sister's friend ~2 weeks ago. We hit it off. Tried setting up a date with her all week last week. Really hard. She's kinda flaky. Makes 100 plans, doesn't stick to one of them. Not just with me, in general. Thursday night we finally make plans. We go out. We go back to her place afterwards. Was fun. She asked me to stay over. I was cool with it, except i took a rather strong dosage of Adderall before going out, so i was wide awake the entire time. Any idea how boring it is lying in bed in a strange house, next to someone fast asleep, and you're unable to fall asleep? Stayed awake for 6 hours staring at the ceiling. No lie. 6 hours... Couldn't even mess around on my phone cause i felt bad that the light might wake her up. Whatever, it was worth it in the morning at least.

Today we're planning a desert trip. Some of her friends, some of mine, my sister, etc. I feel like it's going to be pretty awkward. Generally i'm comfortable with girls in front of my sister. But for some reason i feel really awkward about the situation knowing that it's my sister's friend. 

Isn't it interesting that even if transgender and schizophrenic people are such minority that they make up a large portion of activity on this thread the last 10 pages?

This is a large part of why I like these forums so much.

I think about how much social attitudes have changed even in my own lifetime (or a little over half of it, since I obviously wasn't paying a lot of attention to this stuff as a child). Part of that has been a change to the people I was exposed to (while my family is white collar middle class, I was raised in an all white rural area and went to school with some spectacularly racist+ people), part of that has been some pretty dramatic changes to society as a whole. Without advocating a 'wait and let it happen' approach, I am amazed on a personal level how well a lot of people do deal with being asked to change fundamental assumptions about how they view the world. I wish more of those revelations regarded how people interact with women, but I'm still happy to see a more progressive trend.

Without liberals we'do probably be ruled by land owning whites that still enjoyed slavery so I like me some progressive thinking.

Today I was told that of my team of temps that I was the most obvious choice to on-board forever so now I work in government and have 0 desire to change where I work for basically the rest of my life and it is so relieving that I'll basically never have to look for another job in my future.

What a pleasant morning surprise :)

• Like 1

Without liberals we'do probably be ruled by land owning whites that still enjoyed slavery so I like me some progressive thinking.

Today I was told that of my team of temps that I was the most obvious choice to on-board forever so now I work in government and have 0 desire to change where I work for basically the rest of my life and it is so relieving that I'll basically never have to look for another job in my future.

Not to be *that* guy, but the slaves were freed by a republic president amongst heavy objection from much of the democratic party...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Was she the sexy black girl or another one?

The other one. Went on a date with the black girl but there was no chemistry at all.

Went to the desert this weekend. The initial plan was to get there at around 8pm Thursday night, then leave around 1pm the next day. We ended up getting there at around 11:30pm because we had to wait for people, etc. etc. etc.

We set up camp, start drinking, smoking, partying. At around 3am me and the girl decide to go to sleep. At around 6 we were woken up in a [bleep]ing panic because the tide was pushing up too much and we had to find a new spot. So half drunk and half asleep we pack up and start moving. My friend who was driving the car misjudged one of the dunes and we ended up rolling the car on it's side. It's funny how slow time was moving while the car flipped over. So we were pretty much in a shitty situation, and the "recovery-car" was only going to be able to help up when the water cleared up in about 4 or 5 hours. So we decided to make the best of it and set up camp again. Spent the entire day swimming and partying again until someone came to help us out. Finally, at around 8pm we got home.

Safe to say that i don't think i'll be going to that part of the desert again any time soon.

Not to be *that* guy, but the slaves were freed by a republic president amongst heavy objection from much of the democratic party...
To say the Democratic and Republican parties even remotely reflect what they stand for now compared to 200 years ago is extremely misguided. "Liberal" is not a party, it's a mindset.
  • Like 2

I mean, political parties have shifted since then. They had shifted in the ~100 years between the civil war and the civil rights movement, and then after the civil rights movement, the parties flipped on the conservative/liberal spectrums. Southern Democrats were mostly conservative until a Democratic president passed the civil rights act, at which point the conservative mindset fled to the Republican party. And since the 60s, the parties have shifted. Like, past party affiliations with progressivism/regressivism (or whatever spectrum you wanna point at) have little to do with modern affiliations, especially when you're jumping back before the 1960s.

A source, for what it's worth. I skimmed this, mostly just remember this stuff from high school history.

• Like 2

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Anyone know where i might be able to find someone that can help me out with developing a smartphone app? Getting stuck in the desert this weekend kind of gave me an idea for a very useful application, only problem is i don't know how to make it myself nor do i know anyone that would be able to help me out.

Anyone know where i might be able to find someone that can help me out with developing a smartphone app? Getting stuck in the desert this weekend kind of gave me an idea for a very useful application, only problem is i don't know how to make it myself nor do i know anyone that would be able to help me out.

Are you on reddit?

Are you on reddit?

Yeah.

1. Make a post on craigslist or whatever the equivalent in your country is to find developers/designers

2. Don't be cryptic about your app idea; marketing and quality of product are infinitely more important than ingenuity

3. Expect to pay about $50 an hour for development, and probably closer to $30 an hour for design work if you decide to hire a designer too. You can negotiate lower rates for larger projects if you can guarantee some level of job security

4. If you can't pay for the app's development, talk to a bank or a VC and get the money that way. Nobody's going to want equity in your app if professional investors don't want it

Or just make it yourself

• Like 1

The two gripes I have about the game are th call for help mechanic being able to be used almost continuously and the super long pointless cutscenes. The call for help mechanic just makes catching wild Pokémon way too hard if they call for help as soon as you faint the other one.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Any tips for a college student struggling to study? Not hurting me, majorly, thus far but I find it hard to actually study beyond just doing the initial note taking.