Today...

Leoo

Why does politics creep it's way into everything?

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

[bleep] crossfit, but it is great. As part of my school this year I have to go a wellness class where we do crossfit style workouts which suck. At the same time tis nice and fun to do the workouts for the most part.

For better clarity, it was a multiplayer game and a woman who was playing was groped by a male player.

Unless it's a sexually-orientated game or otherwise consensual, that's not acceptable.

Was the person or the avatar groped. Because i dont think avatars have rights. And if you think so thats a VERY extreme position.

Did you feel sexually assaulted when you got killed in CoD or Halo and the death cam shows them t-bagging you

I'm not discussing it. Come on, I just said I stopped visiting the other forum for such reasons.

ozXHe7P.png

For better clarity, it was a multiplayer game and a woman who was playing was groped by a male player.

Unless it's a sexually-orientated game or otherwise consensual, that's not acceptable.

Was the person or the avatar groped. Because i dont think avatars have rights. And if you think so thats a VERY extreme position.

Did you feel sexually assaulted when you got killed in CoD or Halo and the death cam shows them t-bagging you

I'm not discussing it. Come on, I just said I stopped visiting the other forum for such reasons.

That makes it sound like you brought it up on TIF for reassurance since the people on the other forum were disagreeing with you >_>

• Like 1

77yLQy8.png

I mean, if you're insinuating my personal thoughts/opinions, I have huge problems with what is essentially a requirement to have violence in video games and to reward behavior which is, irl, socially unacceptable, aka theft and murder. And, like, neither of us have empirical information to draw from, so who knows how society feels about violence and sexualization in video games. It very much feels to me that video games are dominated by people who don't have a problem with it, though clearly your thoughts differ here. I present as my case the prevalence of violent video games and the hyper sexualization of women in most games that they even appear in. I don't think the prevalent gaming community is in the corner that you paint them in with that post.

If you're just trying to say that society is kind of shitty with its emphasise on violence and non consensual sexual imagery/actions, then yes, I agree.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

That makes it sound like you brought it up on TIF for reassurance since the people on the other forum were disagreeing with you >_>

Let me be clear:

I stopped visiting the aforementioned forum because of dwindling activity, where certain overly vocal members contributed the majority of the discussion centering on feminism. Since it was evident the game development and programming discussions had pretty much dried up, and I don't particularly care to discuss feminism with far-right bigots, I stopped participating and stopped visiting. This was several months ago.

However, I decided to visit today, to see if anything had changed, and lo and behold, there was an active topic discussing feminism. So no, the forum was still frequented by these members I mentioned, and nothing had changed in the several months I hadn't visited. So I decided to post my experience in the today thread here, contrasting said forum with Tip.it.

I wasn't looking for reassurance. I was just posting an experience.

It seems RpgGamer understood, for example.

ozXHe7P.png

I mean, if you're insinuating my personal thoughts/opinions, I have huge problems with what is essentially a requirement to have violence in video games and to reward behavior which is, irl, socially unacceptable, aka theft and murder. And, like, neither of us have empirical information to draw from, so who knows how society feels about violence and sexualization in video games. It very much feels to me that video games are dominated by people who don't have a problem with it, though clearly your thoughts differ here. I present as my case the prevalence of violent video games and the hyper sexualization of women in most games that they even appear in. I don't think the prevalent gaming community is in the corner that you paint them in with that post.

If you're just trying to say that society is kind of shitty with its emphasise on violence and non consensual sexual imagery/actions, then yes, I agree.

Most video games don't portray women in hyper sexualized ways. Nor contain sex or violence. The vast majority of all games are aimed at the casual market (mainly moble) where women make up a large percentage of the playerbase.

I think your referring to most AAA games designed for consoles which are marketed towards teenage boys and young adult men who by and large want that in their content. Just like not all novels are hypersexualized but you may think so if you only look at romance novels or pop music instead of all music.

That's fair, I suppose. I did not really consider mobile games.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I remember briefly skimming over that article, and I want to say that the avatars in that game were agender. It wasn't like that woman was singled out and harassed because she was a woman in the game or anything.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I mean, can we agree that it's kind of creepy on behalf of the player? I would personally not want to interact with the sort of person who gets into a multiplayer game and starts groping other people, avatar or no. Like, dude, no. Don't be that guy.

I teabag mother[bleep]ers all day long in halo
  • Like 2

Sounds like some of you need to watch some Westworld.

Pretty much every programming community sucks. Like, usually programmers in real life are cool, but the online communities seem to attract the lonely neckbeard type of programmers. It's always alt-right bullshit, women suck, not-so-casual racism in every off topic conversation.

• Like 2

Pretty much every programming community sucks. Like, usually programmers in real life are cool, but the online communities seem to attract the lonely neckbeard type of programmers. It's always alt-right bullshit, women suck, not-so-casual racism in every off topic conversation.

I think there tends to be a bit of a correlation between one's lack of social skills and one's interest in programming, gaming, and stuff like that. And I also think people tend to blame the world around them for their shortcomings as a gut reaction, rather than looking for reasons why their own decisions and beliefs might be the problem. So when people have bad social skills and bad experiences with the opposite sex, combined with their initial tendencies to blame everyone but themselves for their circumstances, it's easy to see how some people can gravitate to certain political movements which center around blaming some external group of people for their problems

77yLQy8.png

Thought I'd just add some insight from an NPR piece I read this morning:

Even In A Virtual World, The Harsh Reality Of Sexual Harassment Persists

I like this quote:

"It's a different manifestation of the same behavior. So whether it's being overly flirtatious in the workplace or putting your hand on someone's leg when they didn't want it — it's all unwanted sexual behavior driven by sexist tendencies."

Personally, I believe the outcome of our actions is more important than the intent behind our actions.

Hypotheritcal situation alert! Say I play a FPS and teabag my opponents because I find it funny. The intent is humor derived from playful jests at the opponent's expense. It comes to light that teabagging is linked to a decrease in women playing FPS. My intent (humor, playful jesting, whatever) is meaningless, because the effect of my action is results in a sexist outcome.

ozXHe7P.png

I think there tends to be a bit of a correlation between one's lack of social skills and one's interest in programming, gaming, and stuff like that. And I also think people tend to blame the world around them for their shortcomings as a gut reaction, rather than looking for reasons why their own decisions and beliefs might be the problem. So when people have bad social skills and bad experiences with the opposite sex, combined with their initial tendencies to blame everyone but themselves for their circumstances, it's easy to see how some people can gravitate to certain political movements which center around blaming some external group of people for their problems

I think you are reaching a bit too far in that one. As said, a lot of gamers actually know nothing of programming or something like that.

Programming by itself is kinda a niche thing. I think there are studies where it has been shown that some autists are better programmers, but they are also better mathematicians in general. They have the ability to spot the flaws in code or patterns.

There are also other sorts of autists that are excellent with musical instruments and completely suck at human interaction for example.

But such autists are few and far between. Well, not too few, but I think a minority.

Here comes the question that what precisely is autism.

But I don't think modern gamers in general have issues with lack of social skills. At least I don't think I am lacking in any.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Thought I'd just add some insight from an NPR piece I read this morning:

Even In A Virtual World, The Harsh Reality Of Sexual Harassment Persists

I like this quote:

"It's a different manifestation of the same behavior. So whether it's being overly flirtatious in the workplace or putting your hand on someone's leg when they didn't want it — it's all unwanted sexual behavior driven by sexist tendencies."

Personally, I believe the outcome of our actions is more important than the intent behind our actions.

Hypotheritcal situation alert! Say I play a FPS and teabag my opponents because I find it funny. The intent is humor derived from playful jests at the opponent's expense. It comes to light that teabagging is linked to a decrease in women playing FPS. My intent (humor, playful jesting, whatever) is meaningless, because the effect of my action is results in a sexist outcome.

while that's true that the intent is irrelevant in that instance, I'd argue that the hypothetical teabagger (lol) probably doesn't really give a shit about the decrease in women playing so there's not really much of an incentive for them to stop teabagging lol

77yLQy8.png

I had the most hilarious bug in a project that resulted in two days wasted.

Silly dynamically typed languages and implicit boolean coercion!

Welp i finally gave in and bought an iPhone 7.

I'm thinking of getting a basic Android phone and getting rid of all the Google stuff, but I have no idea where to begin. Getting rid of my Windows Phone is the last stop necessary to rid myself of Microsoft services.

It's been over a year that I haven't used Windows on my computers for more than a few dozen hours (VMs, small stint trying Windows 10, etc). I don't use Facebook (and their other services). And I've been slowly moving away from Gmail.

Soon, I'll be independent of these monsters. Soon...

Edited by Veiva

ozXHe7P.png

Oh God it's spreading

I think I'll buy battlefield 1 soon. Anyone else play it yet?