F2P getting a lot?

Balazeal

Lately, as a F2P RS player, I've noticed that we seem to have gotten a load of updates from Jagex. First, came BH, Clan Wars, FOG, and F2P Duel Arena, however those were due to the removal of the ability to PK in the Wilderness. Although then came the other things, like FOG items, Stronghold of Player Security, an Achievement Diary, and now, almost full screen HD. As most of us know, a lot of the things, like Achievement Diaries, and almost full screen mode (as I call it) is Jagex's way of saying 'Look what the members have, and more'. Essentially, it's marketing, but what I'm asking is this: How long will this go on for? And, should Jagex decide to give the F2P more, what more is there to give them? What do you think?

100% F2P

Bonesaw342.png

234fcb4520.png

Bonesaw342.png

Bonesaw342.png

99 Defense, Tuesday February 10th 2009

99 Attack, Tuesday May 26th 200962,189th to get it

Those aren't ground breaking updates, and as long as members get more I am happy.

Yeah, a very small/semi useless Achievment diary and a few tweaks aren't going to hurt anyone. I see no reason that members should be unhappy. Since those updates they've gotten two new quests and are undoubtly going to get more content in the near future.

What people keep forgetting is that Bounty Hunter, Clan Wars, and Fist of Guthix are replacements for wilderness PKing, something that was FAR larger in F2P than P2P.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

The resizable window was completely unexpected by myself. I didn't think they would go that far. It is almost full screen.

Still, membership is still appealing due to monster drops and all the extra skills.

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|

Those f2p updates are either about replacing the Wilderness and enticing the PKers back, or are about enticing newbies into playing the game in the first place. Only semi-exception is the Strongholds, but they're about teaching players about 'Safety' and 'Security' (probably to further improve RuneScape's image in the predator/hacker count category, which often drives players away), and they had to throw in a dungeon to make people bother doing it. Every f2p update has an absolute clear purpose, unlike p2p things like new quests.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

The resizable window was completely unexpected by myself. I didn't think they would go that far. It is almost full screen.

Still, membership is still appealing due to monster drops and all the extra skills.

It's actually better than fullscreen because you can use MSN and such along side it now...

in my opinion, tehre should be 3 different types of players-

f2p, which is teh f2p which is now.

between f2p/p2p would cost $2-3 and would have a little of teh privilages members have... maybe minigames or stuff.

p2p would be teh p2p that is now.

this would be effective and practical in my opinion.

lol, pking was basically teh only fun thing in teh f2p world. once it was gone, jagex added more minigames to get teh players to stay on runescape to be convinced to be a member so they can get more money. (no, its not scamming money. just about 2 member strikes would make jagex lose a lotta money!!!!)

Death should not be taken as 'the end,' but a very effective way to cut down taxes.

PvP mini-games were supposed to replace the Wilderness PvP, so that doesn't really count.

Rewards from FoG and such are part of the mini-games, so they don't count either.

The two Strongholds are solely supposed to help players keep their account and personal info secure, more of Jagex not wanting to have a potential member getting displeased and quitting.

The Lumbridge Diary was a pitiful challenge, and was nothing more than an advertisement of Achievement Diaries, they did this with Quests so why not with a nooby diary?

I admit the resizable game window was a big surprise, but it seems to be Jagex's way of advertising Fullscreen. Jagex even spoke of a probable F2P fullscreen, maybe this was it? The ads are still there.

So all these updates are either a compensation or a way to attract new members, the only rupdate that F2P has received that wasn't either of the mentioned reasons would probably be the extra bank space (if they didn't give them tabbed banking new members would be very confused when they saw the new bank, Jagex wouldn't want that) that they got a while ago.

Mneh, it's their game and they can do as they see fit. Although F2P doesn't *deserve* any updates Jagex is free to do as they please with it. As long as they keep giving members the updates they're paying for I don't see why anyone should be unhappy.

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

As a few stated above, most of the updates created for F2P were made for a reason. The achievement diary you speak of was for new players to learn their way around some parts of RuneScape. The FOG and Clan Wars updates were used to help replace the Wilderness (that was for both F2P and members). Don't forget that Fist of Guthix has members only rewards, but even those fail in comparison to many other membership benifets. The resizable RuneScape window is only semi-fullscreen. In fact, I prefer fullscreen better.

Also I would like to note that in those updates, they're also available for P2P which gives a whole new different set of tactics for the game which make it seem like it's a different minigame altogether.

j0xPu5R.png

^ Not going to happen. They WANT you to get members for newer items that are cool.

F2P is getting a lot, and I agree with some of the posts about how Jagex is trying to market P2P. They're basically saying that you'll get a lot more upgrades to these F2P add-ons if you become P2P, because being a member does enhance the F2P updates. I'm still gonna stick with F2P though. :lol:

Pandaman03.png

Pandaman03.png

aurasmalluo6.gif

I would say NO. Honestly, people complain when f2p gets updates. Well, i think thats dumb, especially love it when people say I might as well become f2p.

That kind of thinking is obviously dumb.

anyway, i wish f2p got more updates.

all of the updates are gifts from jagex so we should treasure what updates we get from f2p. P2p get updates because they pay. if f2p wants more update the answer is to become members.

what don't have money simple:

members is about 16 cents a day. I think the going rate of recycled cans are 3 cents and bottles are 5 cents.

when you get the 5 dollars, give it to your mom/dad/guardian and ask for their credit card.

big_mac911.png

big_mac911.png

in my opinion, tehre should be 3 different types of players-

f2p, which is teh f2p which is now.

between f2p/p2p would cost $2-3 and would have a little of teh privilages members have... maybe minigames or stuff.

p2p would be teh p2p that is now.

this would be effective and practical in my opinion.

lol, pking was basically teh only fun thing in teh f2p world. once it was gone, jagex added more minigames to get teh players to stay on runescape to be convinced to be a member so they can get more money. (no, its not scamming money. just about 2 member strikes would make jagex lose a lotta money!!!!)

I swear to [bleep]ing god that every time you type "teh" I want to kill you.

OT: They don't deserve anything more.

[English translation needed]

You are right and you are wrong. I myself, as a pure f2per, think I have earnt the right to voice my opinion. SO here it is. The updates and if F2P truly deserved them. Along with upcoming updates.

Bounty Hunter [1]

Duel Arena [1]

Current Clan Wars [1]

Fist of Guthix [2]

Lumbrigde Achievement Diary [3]

Stronghold of Player Safety (cockroaches) [4]

Upcoming Clan Wars [5]

[1] These updates were failed replacements for Player Killing in F2P. This didn't only affect pure F2Pers but it affected big F2P based clans who were full of active high levels. This means that the F2P world deserved these updates.

[2] This minigame wasn't really needed. Wouldn't change anything if it was P2P but I think Jagex made it F2P because since they "recently" removed a huge chunk of the F2P, they thought F2P deserved this.

[3] I haven't done it. I heard the ring gives 100% energy back. That can be really useful. Oh well, perhaps the rewards were/are too lame so they made it F2P? I heard the rewards are. This was just Jagex being kind/lazy.

[4] The most likely reason why this is F2P, is because getting into the dungeon requires knowing about player safety. "Player safety" includes F2Pers.

[5] Mod Ash, the programmer for upcoming Clan Wars, admitted that the current Clan Wars game is very basic. This upcoming update is deserved by F2Pers. Its our mini-game, so if it gets updated, we should get updates too.

At the rate RS is growing, in some years, the F2P land will be too little. It will become overcrowded. For example, two-three years ago, Draynor was a complete ghost town. Now, whenever you go there, it is full of people. More recently (1 year ago), Rimmington. A year ago, you would NEVER see anyone there. Ever. There was no complete use to going there. Now, you see the occasional wcer (yews are close by) and people chopping willows along other stuff. What I'm saying is, what was then empty/ghost town, is now Varrock (many people). So, maybe in a few years, Jagex will make a huge chunk of the Al Kharid desert F2P. Open up that Shantay Pass, Jagex! I'm hoping Nardah is included. I love being the only person in a town. Especially with a bank.

-Retired from Runescape on August 12, 2008-

Working out topic

Everything related to working out! Ask questions, get honest answers. Share your experiences, work out routines, stories, opinions, and discuss about working out! Everything :). Check it out :)

You are right and you are wrong. I myself, as a pure f2per, think I have earnt the right to voice my opinion. SO here it is. The updates and if F2P truly deserved them. Along with upcoming updates.

Bounty Hunter [1]

Duel Arena [1]

Current Clan Wars [1]

Fist of Guthix [2]

Upcoming Clan Wars [5]

[1] These updates were failed replacements for Player Killing in F2P. This didn't only affect pure F2Pers but it affected big F2P based clans who were full of active high levels. This means that the F2P world deserved these updates.

[2] This minigame wasn't really needed. Wouldn't change anything if it was P2P but I think Jagex made it F2P because since they "recently" removed a huge chunk of the F2P, they thought F2P deserved this.

[3] I haven't done it. I heard the ring gives 100% energy back. That can be really useful. Oh well, perhaps the rewards were/are too lame so they made it F2P? I heard the rewards are. This was just Jagex being kind/lazy.

[4] The most likely reason why this is F2P, is because getting into the dungeon requires knowing about player safety. "Player safety" includes F2Pers.

[5] Mod Ash, the programmer for upcoming Clan Wars, admitted that the current Clan Wars game is very basic. This upcoming update is deserved by F2Pers. Its our mini-game, so if it gets updated, we should get updates too.

For point 3, the ring gives 50% energy back for each charge. I usually blast it off against better FoG players, FoG being the best and only good thing left in F2P RuneScape (and F2P is the best thing left in RuneScape with the removal of pking, but let's not incite another flamewar here). I actually think the Lumby diary is kinda good for F2P, with the free alchs, the tele and stuff.

Anyway, F2P doesn't "deserve" any updates at all by definition, but if we ignore the definition, Jagex made us the free game, then they should keep it up as well. But after all, Jagex decides how much will profit them and not cut into their profit instead.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

Stronghold of player security, and the achievement diary were the only updates f2p got for no reason at all.

The rest of the updates were because of something else. FOG was because of the removal of pking. BH -- pking. F2P dueling -- You can't make money from it anymore, so it was sent to f2p. The fullscreen f2p was only held back because of advertisments.

Stellactic.gif

f2p updates dont bother me, jagex know what there doing. it is the f2p'ers that beg for updates that bothers me. i dont care if jagex game f2p all the bank space in to world but i hate the f2p'ers that beg for it

Y_Z.png

Sweet, some updates. Maybe PKers and 7 year olds will start playing.

Best games ever, in order:

Final Fantasy VII - PlayStation

Gears of War - Xbox 360

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Xbox

Fable II - Xbox 360

Dead Rising - Xbox 360

Bounty Hunter [1]

Duel Arena [1]

Current Clan Wars [1]

Fist of Guthix [2]

Upcoming Clan Wars [5]

At the rate RS is growing, in some years, the F2P land will be too little. It will become overcrowded. For example, two-three years ago, Draynor was a complete ghost town. Now, whenever you go there, it is full of people. More recently (1 year ago), Rimmington. A year ago, you would NEVER see anyone there. Ever. There was no complete use to going there. Now, you see the occasional wcer (yews are close by) and people chopping willows along other stuff. What I'm saying is, what was then empty/ghost town, is now Varrock (many people). So, maybe in a few years, Jagex will make a huge chunk of the Al Kharid desert F2P. Open up that Shantay Pass, Jagex! I'm hoping Nardah is included. I love being the only person in a town. Especially with a bank.

Did you get a head injury because you almost made a respectable post here on TIF! :shock:

On-Topic:

Yes, F2p is getting a lot, and I believe there are several reasons. One is to replace what was lost with the December 2007 updates. Secondly, I believe Jagex has HUGE plans for RuneScape. I forsee it growing into a much larger game with loads of new content and hoards of new players. Jagex has a plan, and we can thank CEO Geoff Iddison for that one. =D>

Runeman231.png

GESig.gif

I think that F2P probably will get a few more updates each year than they have had the years that have been. I believe so because Jagex have wanted to remind F2Pers of all the other updates which P2Pers have.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Most of the updates for f2p were to give f2p'ers a 'taste' of p2p.

FoG;

FoG is a pvp minigame. You could say BH, clan wars and duel arena in a sense is a 'minigame' - but they were essentially used as a 'replacement' for the different types of events? that were held in the wild.

Acheivment diary;

Again a 'taste' of p2p.

The only thing missing from the 'taste' is a high leveled boss monster.

"I'd rather bear the comments people say to insult ya, then to poison my skin and erase my culture " - Deep Foundation