the best guitarists ever?

wasssup

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all fairness, Herman Li is a good guitarist, I dont get why people cant seem to admit that.

yes, a lot of studio effects are used in dragonforce's stuff to make it sound better, yes, he's apparently quite sloppy live, but hell, he's still a DAMN good player by anybody's standards. Not the best, but not LOLOLCRAP as some people make him out to be.

Tk5SF.png

In all fairness, Herman Li is a good guitarist, I dont get why people cant seem to admit that.

yes, a lot of studio effects are used in dragonforce's stuff to make it sound better, yes, he's apparently quite sloppy live, but hell, he's still a DAMN good player by anybody's standards. Not the best, but not LOLOLCRAP as some people make him out to be.

Saw him live with the rest of the guys in my band and we all agreed on the fact that when we saw him, he was definitely NOT sloppy.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I think the point is that I find it very hard to have any musical respect for someone who writes music he can't play.

jdMIQ1jfJm0

There is no way you can say that video isn't absolutely horrible. (Not just because of Herman Li.)

Cool.

I've seen a piece on TV abour John Mayer and him performing a few songs/just playing the guitar.

Technically speaking, he's quite a good guitarist. I'm sure you can find something on Youtube if you look around enough. From what I was hearing, he was playing some really nice bluesy lead work. Trust me, his studio work doesn't really do him justice as a guitarist.

Believe me I have seen most of his other work, because I really do hate his radio stuff. I heard about his "good" work from a friend, but I don't think he's one of the best guitarists because of it.

I don't really think he's one of the best ever either, I just thought you weren't aware that he could actually handle a guitar pretty well. Clearly, I was wrong.

Electric Guitar:

Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest

Bill Steer and Michael Amott of Carcass (if you doubt these guys then listen to Blind Bleeding the Blind for the album Heartwork)

Josh Elmore of Cattle Decapitation

Bass Guitar:

Les Claypool of Primus (My Name is Mudd is a good example of his stuff)

Ross Sewage of Impaled

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Proud to hate life, since not too long ago!!!

I don't really think he's one of the best ever either, I just thought you weren't aware that he could actually handle a guitar pretty well. Clearly, I was wrong.

It was fair of you to reference that, though. Most people haven't listened to his other music.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Put him next to Mikael Åkerfeldt and watch him get blown away.

Compare with the video Intriguing posted:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K4rZa0OYMKs

Well, I could go on an endless list but I'll try to make it short:

-Muhammed Suiçmez <- Check him out, he's relaly good

-Kirk Hammet

-Jeff Hanneman

-DIMEBAG DARRELL, R.I.P.

- Dave Murray and Adrian Smith

16185_s.gif

I can name three:

Dimebag Darrell

Zack Wilde

Synster Gates

League of Legends Referal link: http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4e55a571778d2633364408

"Life is short, and shortly it will end, Death comes quickly which respects no one, Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one"

Drops: 8whips, 28dboots, 1hand cannon, 2 dmeds 3dskirts 2 dbows

99s(in order): Attack Constitution Defence

This is just turning into "here's a decent guitarist that few people know so I'll post him here" or people are just posting their favorite.

A lot of people are going to think their favorite guitarist is one of the best, or that the decent guitarist is. That's the idea, who does the reader think is the best?

Going to throw out Joe Satriani's name for consideration, even if as a teacher.

Oh joy, I have quite a few:

Mason Williams

Brian May

Steve Vai

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Eric Johnson

Eric Clapton

B.B. King (Why hasn't anyone said this yet?)

Amongst many others.

mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!

I never really got why Hendrix was consistently rated so highly until recently. But damn, that guy was good. Not just his skill, which has probably been surpassed by modern guitarists, but his pioneering and "feel" (which is very subjective I know).

I'd also stick Jack White up there for minimilism that might sound easy to mimick, but is in fact damn hard. That guy brings a raw energy to his live guitar playing that I haven't seen anywhere else, he makes it look effortless. Gilmour's written some very impressive stuff, and Eddie Hazel, just for making the most face melting solo you'll ever hear. Clapton for the blues. I suppose I tend to go for quality over quantity of notes.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Nobody said Eddie Van Halen yet?

I know that I wouldn't consider him to be on the same level with some of the others. He used and made famous alot of cool techniques, but I definitely don't the he'd be near the top for "the best".

klaatu-tabs.jpg

"El que no arriesga no gana"

Nobody said Eddie Van Halen yet?

You are correct, and there is a reason no one has yet.

No one's said B.B. King yet because I doubt the majority of posters understand what makes a guitarist good *points to the above quote*. They just assume if he plays fast he's good; if he plays slow he sucks. I'm really surprised I haven't seen more Herman Li votes.... :wall:

clansig7.gif