Parents and runescape.

Albel

Some of you might know and some of you moght not know, but as soon as school starts, im semi-quitting runescape. If it was up to me, I'd still play, but its my parents that are making me quit. They fell as though that runescape is a stupid game that people waste there lives on(The say I should sped more time doing other stuff -.- ). Even though i dont want to quit, im going to follow there wishes(If i dont, they will get very angry with me :lol: )

So my question is, does your parents mind that you play runescape? Do they even care... or do they think that its a waste and wish that you didnt play...

As as note: Please dont bad mouth my parents, i may not agree with what they think is right, but they are good people who are only looking for whats best for me, all forms of flame will be removed.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents only care in general and if my grades are bad.

If my grades = bad, then I'm grounded from my pc.

But nothing else, its like somehow watching TV is better then programming.

Dr_Brinner.png

Parents that never tried the game never realized that it can help learn things that you will need later on in life. My parents don't really care that I play rs, but they think I spend too much time on it #-o

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

My parents only care in general and if my grades are bad.

If my grades = bad, then I'm grounded from my pc.

But nothing else, its like somehow watching TV is better then programming.

Same.

My dad jokes around with me that its a stupid game, but, I also program on the PC when I use it to, so, there is no real deal.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

My parents wouldn't have done that, if they tried I would have just ignored them and carried on.

I wish i could do that. I got ok grades (solid B's) but they still think that is just pointless to play... i wish they could understand, but they never do -.-

EDIT:751st post... Dark Wizard Robes ::'

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably

Euphonium/10.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

I tested something out.

Spent 3 hours on computer, parents said they think i spend too much time inside.

Watched TV for 4 hours and they said NOTHING.

So my parents care and I think its just something with the computer sometimes they flip for no reason once they get home from work at like 6:00 so I try to be off by 5:45 :-#

Ponder00.png

twssmas.gif

I tested something out.

Spent 3 hours on computer, parents said they think i spend too much time inside.

So my parents care and I think its just something with the computer sometimes they flip for no reason once they get home from work at like 6:00 so I try to be off by 5:45 :-#

I have tried that as well, and its the same thing for me as well. But if i get caught playing runescape (Via history, yes i know how to deleate it) i get punished...and its not sit in your room and think about what youve done...ill lose my keys for my car, and get grounded for weeks on end...i just dont uderstand them, so i just listen and keep my mouth quite... -.-

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Euphonium/10.

[/hide]

I tested something out.

I do that too. I had a big problem with being obsessed with Runescape last year, and I really screwed myself over in my freshman year b/c of playing nothing but RS. I started to get high 60's low 70's in pathetically easy classes like AP Global History and Spanish. So, I am limmiting my comp time big time this year.

Otherwise, back to the question. My parents really don't care, as over the summer, I have hung out with friends (They all play RS too) down at the falls behind my house alot. As long as I do my chores, my parents agreed to pay for my membership so Im good I guess. As long as I dont no-life basically their fine. My dad says; "As long as you have a social life I don't care what you play. Oh and no pr0n." Phshhhhhhhhhh. Who needs a social life. :roll:

3772841190_eba9dc52b2.jpg

My mom absolutely hates it and thinks it's ruining my life.

My dad thinks it's great training for me because I hope to do something it the stock market one day. He thinks the GE resembles it very closely.

1288581197250-1.jpg

yea i can play 4 hours of rs in one day and they be all over me about how bad it is. then i watch 16 hours of tv the next day and there happy...i at least learn some skills playing rs.

what would you rather have? i kid who knew random facts like range=stove and copper+tin=bronze

or

a kid that goes "l1ke z0mg l1ke no w4y par1s h1170n 4got 2 wear panties 4ga1n!!!"

what would you rather have?

Y_Z.png

My parents go by the old "work before play." They don't really know much about RuneScape other than another game with people running around killing random things. But they do want me to finish the "important things" (sorry, loosely translated from Chinese and that's about as close as I can get).

Before I graduated, I normally would try to finish my coursework before playing RuneScape, or any other game before the matter, and this avoids the "stop playing already" talk because they know I've done my work first. Now it's mostly chores first before gaming. :P

My parents always thought it was a waste of time, and would take away the computer from time to time, but as long as my grades were good they wouldn't care.

But people saying RS teaches you stuff are just making playing sound like less of a waste of time. I realize wasting time is fun and almost necessary(I can't work 15+ hours a day consistently,) but RS is a waste of time and you really learn next to nothing. Aside from typing maybe, but saying it helps social interactions is just a joke.

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png

My parents always thought it was a waste of time, and would take away the computer from time to time, but as long as my grades were good they wouldn't care.

But people saying RS teaches you stuff are just making playing sound like less of a waste of time. I realize wasting time is fun and almost necessary(I can't work 15+ hours a day consistently,) but RS is a waste of time and you really learn next to nothing. Aside from typing maybe, but saying it helps social interactions is just a joke.

It does teach you stuff though... You can learn from everything, everything has a benefit somehow.

1288581197250-1.jpg

well, I don't have to deal with my parents anymore,but when I did have to (involving other games) usually I could just outwit them. Check and mate.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

It's a parent's worst nightmare.

Junior: "Dad, can I become a member on Runescape?"

Dad: "OH NO, Runescape? Where have I gone wrong, Junior? Why can't you be on the football team like a normal boy." :cry:

What your parents don't understand is that RuneScape is not mindless clicking. Like someone said before me, the Grand Exchange closely resembles the Stock Market, and with no real risk, other than losing your precious virtual coins. The best way to show your parents this is to get them to play the game with you, or have them make their own account. This might be hard, but if you can do it, it will help immesnsely. Show them the Grand Exchange website while you're at it :P

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

When I was younger, playing RS was a huge thing for me. Then my folks got concerned. They didn't punish me or take it away or anything, but it at least sobered me up to the whole grind-fest.

Besides that, I'm too old for my parents to care about what games I play online.

[Just as long as my mother, who is several miles away now, isn't in earshot when I play Diablo II or Starcraft...]

EDIT: It's not like me to skip two pages of replies, but this caught my eye just now:

What your parents don't understand is that RuneScape is not mindless clicking. Like someone said before me, the Grand Exchange closely resembles the Stock Market, and with no real risk, other than losing your precious virtual coins. The best way to show your parents this is to get them to play the game with you, or have them make their own account. This might be hard, but if you can do it, it will help immesnsely. Show them the Grand Exchange website while you're at it :P

Just because something in a game resembles something in real life doesn't mean anything. You've got to realize that parents will demand their children do something constructive with their time, and if they don't think that RS is constructive, then it's 86ed. Besides that, a 9-to-5 parent can't hold an interest in RuneScape like their child does, and to top that off, they'll eventually realize the amount of time it took their child to get where they are now, and gain yet another anti-RS stereotype. (Does more harm than good.)

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Both my parents know I play RuneScape, and they do not mind because I don't use it during the week because of school, with the exception of Friday of course.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg