Working out topic

Rarex

Out of curiosity has anyone here ever tried German Volume Training? A guy who I see at the gym now and again swears by it, and I tried it once on my chest day but it just didn't quite feel like I was pushing myself like I was with my normal workout. But maybe I need to stick at it a bit longer, I just wondered if anyone here had had any experience with it.

Sounds intense as hell.. I've been an avid gym goer for some 7-8 years but don't think I've heard of that method before. Can 10x10 rep sets really build mass... Guess I've got to take the articles word for it.

I still stick to mass basics for the upper body; Though I've modified it over the years... I do 6 reps at 90% of my max, 120 second rest between sets, and repeat 4 times with final set on 100% of max, 2 reps. Doesn't take long & has brought stable results.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is anyone a swimmer here?

if you're looking for a heart-pumping workout that is tough on your upper and lower body, try some 200IMs back-to-back.

to get my heart-pumping i do 5 100m freestyles and try to keep the pace under 30 seconds for each set.

Out of curiosity has anyone here ever tried German Volume Training? A guy who I see at the gym now and again swears by it, and I tried it once on my chest day but it just didn't quite feel like I was pushing myself like I was with my normal workout. But maybe I need to stick at it a bit longer, I just wondered if anyone here had had any experience with it.

Sounds intense as hell.. I've been an avid gym goer for some 7-8 years but don't think I've heard of that method before. Can 10x10 rep sets really build mass... Guess I've got to take the articles word for it.

I still stick to mass basics for the upper body; Though I've modified it over the years... I do 6 reps at 90% of my max, 120 second rest between sets, and repeat 4 times with final set on 100% of max, 2 reps. Doesn't take long & has brought stable results.

When I tried it I struggled to find the right weight to do 10x10 at, I think I went a bit low so it never really felt like I was pushing it even on the last set, but I think much heavier and i'd have been really struggling. By the sounds of it we do similar routines although I'm probably still trying to eek out more reps even close to my max. I find if I can do one or two I can usually do a few more on top. My biggest gripe with chest is that because I don't train with anyone I don't have a spotter, so i'm reluctant to go balls to the wall in case I just can't push it up. Which is why I tend to try and break my records with the dumbell press and then see if they translate to the bench. Usually they do.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Another of my real life things: its just funny how when I do 20 reps of pull ups (at once), I get looks :lol: or when someone was doing them, then I come and do more than him AND in better shape than he does.

I can do fifty dips straight, but that's because I have a low weight/muscle ratio, not because I'm ripped. Don't get too cocky about twenty pull ups- as a weight lifter it isn't much. ([bleep], I was doing 20 pull ups in fourth grade mate]).

Talk is cheap. Show us a picture of your awesome muscles, seeing as how that's allowed now. If you're ripped, I'll back off. If you're not I'm going to keep laughing.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Do you think the girl with that "ugly" guy worked for her looks?

No. Many pretty/beautiful/gorgeous/hot girls are naturally like that and don't work out or follow some diet, but they don't eat McDonalds everyday either lol. I wish that would be the case for guys - muscles/tonishmess coming naturally. But, if you look at cheerleading squad girls - many of them are banging, though there ar eosme that arent.

At first when you work out, you won't feel shizzle. You will pretty much feel using your bones and everything will be super hard, but push/persevere through. Do as many Bicep Curls as you can! always be doing them. After a while yoou will feel your biceps and when you compare "was very hard without muscles" to what "is very hard WITH muscles", you will FEEL the different. As with muscles, you really do feel your bicep moving up as you move your forearm up, when you move it down (NOT letting it drop), you might feel your triceps (depending on how developed it is).

Just don't give up. Quit Runescape. Don't give up. Go all for it - 2 hrs a day, 5 days a week! IT PAYS OFF

I can do fifty dips straight, but that's because I have a low weight/muscle ratio, not because I'm ripped. Don't get too cocky about twenty pull ups- as a weight lifter it isn't much. ([bleep], I was doing 20 pull ups in fourth grade mate]).

Talk is cheap. Show us a picture of your awesome muscles, seeing as how that's allowed now. If you're ripped, I'll back off. If you're not I'm going to keep laughing.

Another of my real life things: its just funny how when I do 20 reps of pull ups (at once), I get looks :lol: or when someone was doing them, then I come and do more than him AND in better shape than he does.

I do 20 without a sweat, after 22, i start sweating and at 30, i feel the pain and start pushing myself. 50 sounds like alot lol, i probably would only reach the low 40s. By better shape, iddin't mean body. Lol, nice mistake. THE SHAPE IN WISH YO UDO THE EXERCISE. For example: bicep curls, your shoulders should be all the way back and doing it slowly. with pull ups, you shouldn't look like mr. fatty boy who looks like he is about to faint at the 4th pull up, or like if you are shivering or something. Or you shouldn't do a pull up if you move your neck upwards to make it look like you reached the bar lol ( isee it alot). if I fail at pull ups, i rather stop doing it than look like a real life NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB :)..

This "little" mistake you made shows how little you know of working out (or it's terms lol). Also, I'm not a weight lifter or body builder. Simply because I like to work out or work out a lot or something does not mean I'm one of those -.-.

About the picture, lol ok. Give me 1 week to 9 days. I need to get an USB thing, find batteries, work my [wagon] off to look super ripped and then post it. lets see how my week goes. I hope some teacher doesn't [bleep] about my attitude...The 7 extra days is to work my [wagon] like never BEFOOOOOOORE. Thanks for the challenge lol. No, really. Thanks. I'm for real, give me some time.

5:35pm atm, waiting for VMAs. did a 1hr work out (like I said before), went to the pool, saw a hot 40 year old woman, went biking for an hour (not olympic biking, just riding around lol... and going fast at times. got scratched :| )

I dont know what to do now. Maybe look for some more pictures of some hot girl? -.-

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE =d

-Retired from Runescape on August 12, 2008-

Working out topic

Everything related to working out! Ask questions, get honest answers. Share your experiences, work out routines, stories, opinions, and discuss about working out! Everything :). Check it out :)

okay, i made a small typo up there. but apparently it doesnt matter because no one swims here besides me i guess.

well i meant 100m under 1:25 each.

50m under 30.

sorry if i confused anyone.

My mistake, I assumed the "I'm" was misplaced simply by basic error ("I'm in better shape"), which happens a lot (and, no offense, wouldn't surprise me with someone like you who wasn't a grammar nazi). Personally I've always used the word "form" in that case (ie, he has good form, not "good shape"), but I suppose assuming wasn't the best way to go there.

Rarex, I know you've got it endlessly in this thread but i'm genuinely being sincere here: stop being so cocky, and have a little humility. I like the idea of a thread where likeminded individuals can post and chat about working out, but it's just no fun to post in when you're endlessly judging other people, bragging or being condescending. You're probably reasonably strong, it's okay, we get it. But there's always going to be someone bigger than you and you have to learn to accept that. I find people who are honest about their weaknesses are much more interesting to talk to.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I might try and do it over the holidays so I look different, and then I'll change my hair style/colour and see how many people will say "hey, are you a new kid?" and also so I can be more fit I can't do push-ups off my toes :oops:

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Rarex, I know you've got it endlessly in this thread but i'm genuinely being sincere here: stop being so cocky, and have a little humility. I like the idea of a thread where likeminded individuals can post and chat about working out, but it's just no fun to post in when you're endlessly judging other people, bragging or being condescending. You're probably reasonably strong, it's okay, we get it. But there's always going to be someone bigger than you and you have to learn to accept that. I find people who are honest about their weaknesses are much more interesting to talk to.

I'm smaller in size then him and i still could knock him down a notch or two. ;) Age 15, sounds to me just like hormones kicking in....you know them, the natural male action to try and become the most dominant male in the area and gain attention from the females. Its ok though because females look at more then brawn now and are not just looking for someone to carry home the cut of mammoth meat.

So he's talking trash now, but still has to work to catch up to his ego before he posts a pic? LOL

with pull ups, you shouldn't look like mr. fatty boy who looks like he is about to faint at the 4th pull up, or like if you are shivering or something. Or you shouldn't do a pull up if you move your neck upwards to make it look like you reached the bar lol ( isee it alot). if I fail at pull ups, i rather stop doing it than look like a real life NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB :)..

I suck at pullups, but i bet i can run your face into the ground with crunches and running. Honestly. I've seen "Mr fatty" on a pullup bar do 20-25....whoopie. I've also seen the 90lb soaking wet guy do the same. I personally find pullups to be a poor measure of strength and a judge for training.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

its an insult to this topic that its only lasted this long due to posters' dislike for the OP.

i, and others, have made 'working out' topics in the past but they have all died quickly.

ot: anyone do stabilizers for ab training? it works great.

I guess I was a little too cocky but I haven't judged other people. I have just said stuff. The only thing I can think of judging other people was the issue with the shallowness, I didn't judge a user at TipIt in specific.

There may have been discussions previously, what something or the other thing, but I reply abck with a discussion. So far, the other person(s) haven't been able to prove me otherwise. For pretty much all of them, they just made a little mistake or didn't know about something...

I might try and do it over the holidays so I look different, and then I'll change my hair style/colour and see how many people will say "hey, are you a new kid?" and also so I can be more fit I can't do push-ups off my toes :oops:]

Why not start now? You can work out until you get that haircut, then afterwards show off both (sutff gained from working out + hair cut). I can remember when doing push ups was pretty hard and everytime I was told to do some (mostly gym classes), I would fail. From experience if you go on with saying "i will do it later", the motivation will go away, and 60% of the time, you will never get to do it - USUALLY.

With push ups, the more you do them, the better for you. At first, having proper form can be really hard but just push yourself. You will gain strength and be able to do more push ups at once, and at the same time improve the form/shape. When you start with push ups, it is a pain (like everything else) and you will probably be sweating a lot and have your face red... just push yourself.

I'm smaller in size then him and i still could knock him down a notch or two. ;) Age 15, sounds to me just like hormones kicking in....you know them, the natural male action to try and become the most dominant male in the area and gain attention from the females. Its ok though because females look at more then brawn now and are not just looking for someone to carry home the cut of mammoth meat.

What? Talk straight. I will respond to what I understood: OK, I guess.

I suck at pullups, but i bet i can run your face into the ground with crunches and running. Honestly. I've seen "Mr fatty" on a pullup bar do 20-25....whoopie. I've also seen the 90lb soaking wet guy do the same. I personally find pullups to be a poor measure of strength and a judge for training.

Lol, I bet you can (crunches and running). You are more cardio orientated while I'm not. Use your brain! just because I said "he is more cardio than me" doesn't mean I can't run for a thing! It means he runs more than me :). Saying this because people make assumptions without thinking

I believe Pull-Ups are amongst the best ways to show off strength (I hate showing off strength via weightlifting -.-). Well, that guy you saw - how many hours a month does he WORK OUT? I bet he doesn't dedicate anytime to working out. He is "fat" or "overweight" for a reason, don't you think? All that time he has spent eating and seating, has built up energy amongst with much more fat. With all that energy, he is able to do 20 pull ups. In the form/shape in which he does him, I bet, is very poor :P.

Same thing for the skinny guy but it is more favorable for him: He would weight very little while his energy would remain high, therefore making him able to do those 20 pull ups. Though, he will shiver more and that "fat" dude will sweat more. Most skinny people can run for a whole lot of time and not get tired, with overweight kids, it is pretty much the opposite.

What good is there in being able to lift very heavy stuff and not being able to do classical work outs with many repetitions and in perfect shape? push ups, pull ups, and other stuff!

Krieg, you mostly run. While running is a very good skill to have developed, it builds no strength at all. It greatly improves your breathing and all that. With that being said, what the shizzle do you know about streNgth? Crunches are good for abs but unless you have proper nutrition and other type of abs-stuff exercises, you won't get noticeable abs with crunches =_=. Don't take this as a offense, just accept it or prove me wrong.

Lol, it's funny how people are so ignorant (don't get offended). When I said ripped, I didn't mean Arnold Schawenegger style or like in the TV shows where the dude has veins all over his arms, I meant having my arms toned/defined to the most extreme I could take it to. What was wrong with wanting to look your best >_>?

My conclusion so far is that mostly, Krieg doesn't fully comprehend what he is saying (not the hormones, male action, his size, the other paragraph) about.

While some of us don't like to accept it, we gotta be realistic. Looks do matter. The better your looks are, the more chances for you. Of course, personality greatly matters as well but usually what first attracts a female are your looks. The better they are (again) the more females you will attract.

[hide=me & today]Hmm, did my usual thing. 2 hour work out, after the 2 hours were out spent another 20 minutes and became bored.. went upsatirs and just waited for the bus to come. Enrolled in ROTC, some military stuff. Didn't work out as hard as I wanted to.. but things haven't been going the way I want them to recently.[/hide]

Working out topic

Everything related to working out! Ask questions, get honest answers. Share your experiences, work out routines, stories, opinions, and discuss about working out! Everything :). Check it out :)

its an insult to this topic that its only lasted this long due to posters' dislike for the OP.

i, and others, have made 'working out' topics in the past but they have all died quickly.

ot: anyone do stabilizers for ab training? it works great.

I guess you're entitled to have an opinion but if I was a Supreme Court Judge, I would take it away :lol: .

Hmm, I think this topic has been successful because, unlike many others, it isn't some boring topic that when you ask something about working out you get told "go do 19 something something", "go do 6 sets of this and that". Instead (like 3 people have asked stuff), I, generally, reply back with an honest answer and how it feels to first do it and the how to combat the desire to just stop doing it and go back to playing games or doing whatever you want, or to not let working out feel like a drag. Also, this topic is about everything working out.. as you might have noticed :P

When you very first work out, have never truly worked out, you can't do much or you do it pathetically (arms shape, neck shakes, you sweat like a donkey and ect) but if you push yourself, you will do it properly and ye, things will happen. :)

I hope more people continue to ask and debate, lol :). Really.

OT: If it is some drug/medicine/vitamin then no. If it is some exercise, I probably have done it but don't know the name for it. Since I don't know, I guess I haven't lol.

Working out topic

no its not a drug or supplement. a stabilizer is a workout for your abs.

ill see if i can explain it, but it will be difficult unless i can show you.

begin in a push-up position, but instead of placing your palms on the ground, place your forearms (from elbow to wrist) flat on the ground.

hold that position with your back and knees straight for 30 seconds or more. its great for toning abs and seems easier than when you do it.

although it is much more effective when done back-to-back with other ab workouts rather than alone. ex, i do:

50 crunches (with 15lb weight)

50 roman twists (with 15lb weight)

30 second stabilizer

20 push-ups

hold push-up position with chest about 1-2 inches from the ground for 30 seconds

thats one set, four more.

no its not a drug or supplement. a stabilizer is a workout for your abs.

ill see if i can explain it, but it will be difficult unless i can show you.

begin in a push-up position, but instead of placing your palms on the ground, place your forearms (from elbow to wrist) flat on the ground.

hold that position with your back and knees straight for 30 seconds or more. its great for toning abs and seems easier than when you do it.

I mainly call those planks, but I guess I haven't heard them been called anything else either.

But those also work wonders for your back if you have weak core muscles. I have those, and whenever I do planks my back feels 10x better the next day. So its not only for toning your abs :D.

Shaniqua.png

I can't stress it enough: nutrition is around 80% of the battle.

Change your diet, and it will make working out, building muscle/endurance much much easier. I mean, sure, you could eat the unhealthy way like Mike Phelps, but it's a ton more work.

Changing the way you eat is the most crucial part. I must warn you, your choice of food quickly diminishes if you're going to be committed.

Example: My Monday, Wednesday, and Friday meals:

9:30-10:00 am: Egg-white omelette with spinach, tomatoes, onions, and ONE slice of provolone cheese. 2 slices of health nut bread with natural Smuckers peanut butter. 1 glass of V8 Fusion (100% juice kind..they sell 50% juice kind so be careful).

1:00: Salad OR bean salad. The salad consists of spinach, cabbage, romaine lettuce, tomato, onions, and tuna/salmon. Tuna/salmon stored in water only...no oil or salt.

Bean salad is just dark red kidney beans, chick peas, cabbage, onions, tomato, and seasonings.

NO SALAD DRESSING! Use vinegar.

2:45: work out for a while

4:00: protein shake: protein powder, piece of fruit (banana typically), 2 cups of SKIM milk, half a cup of oatmeal (I put oatmeal in it because I can't eat it otherwise...I HATE oatmeal).

6-7: One meat (tilapia, tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey....try and stay away from steak and pork), one cup of vegetables, and one serving of BROWN rice.

Throughout the day I'll snack on NO SALT nuts, and fruit..

Lots and lots of water (a gallon a day is usually a safe bet for 16+ year olds).

Krieg, you mostly run. While running is a very good skill to have developed, it builds no strength at all. It greatly improves your breathing and all that. With that being said, what the shizzle do you know about streNgth? Crunches are good for abs but unless you have proper nutrition and other type of abs-stuff exercises, you won't get noticeable abs with crunches =_=. Don't take this as a offense, just accept it or prove me wrong.

Lol your right i have no idea what i'm talking about... :roll:

Strength? Like humping (hiking) a combat gear load of at least 100lbs for 10miles+ at a time without falling out. Or how about running with a full flak jacket and not just running. Or how about the other thousands of PT workouts the Marines do that pertain to strength and core strength? Nope, i know nothing about it. :)

I mostly run and do crunches because thats whats tested by the Marine Corps. However in October they are switching to a combat fitness test, much more strength exercises involved. Short burst, strength type exercises and not long endurance ones. But running and crunches is not all i do. Running and crunches are only one part, you still have a whole set of table exercises.

Go to Parris Island or Camp Lejeune...see how little i know about strength. :wall:

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

Lol your right i have no idea what i'm talking about... :roll:

Strength? Like humping (hiking) a combat gear load of at least 100lbs for 10miles+ at a time without falling out. Or how about running with a full flak jacket and not just running. Or how about the other thousands of PT workouts the Marines do that pertain to strength and core strength? Nope, i know nothing about it. :)

I mostly run and do crunches because thats whats tested by the Marine Corps. However in October they are switching to a combat fitness test, much more strength exercises involved. Short burst, strength type exercises and not long endurance ones. But running and crunches is not all i do. Running and crunches are only one part, you still have a whole set of table exercises.

Go to Parris Island or Camp Lejeune...see how little i know about strength. :wall:

I was thinking about starting a kind of ruck sack march (that's what it's called right?) excercise routine. Got any suggestions?

Change your diet, and it will make working out, building muscle/endurance much much easier. I mean, sure, you could eat the unhealthy way like Mike Phelps, but it's a ton more work.

Changing the way you eat is the most crucial part. I must warn you, your choice of food quickly diminishes if you're going to be committed.

9:30-10:00 am: Egg-white omelette with spinach, tomatoes, onions, and ONE slice of provolone cheese. 2 slices of health nut bread with natural Smuckers peanut butter. 1 glass of V8 Fusion (100% juice kind..they sell 50% juice kind so be careful).

1:00: Salad OR bean salad. The salad consists of spinach, cabbage, romaine lettuce, tomato, onions, and tuna/salmon. Tuna/salmon stored in water only...no oil or salt.

Bean salad is just dark red kidney beans, chick peas, cabbage, onions, tomato, and seasonings.

4:00: protein shake: protein powder, piece of fruit (banana typically), 2 cups of SKIM milk, half a cup of oatmeal (I put oatmeal in it because I can't eat it otherwise...I HATE oatmeal).

6-7: One meat (tilapia, tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey....try and stay away from steak and pork), one cup of vegetables, and one serving of BROWN rice.

Lots and lots of water (a gallon a day is usually a safe bet for 16+ year olds).

Nutrition's tough. I often try to eat moderately healthy, in the mornings ill have eggs or oatmeal with a banana, yogurt (though i should start eating more plain yogurt). Lunch i'll eat a peanut butter sandwich with the Smuckers natural peanut butter or a tuna/cheese sandwich with more fruit or yogurt. Dinner is basically what my family is eating... it's not always healthy, but not terrible. Dinner's usually got a good amount of protein and calories (though not the best calories probably). Ill also try to sneak in a protein filled snack after dinner too about 2 hours before bed (cottage cheese, not the best tasting, but a healthy snack). A glass of milk with every meal, and I usually try to drink 5/6 servings of milk per day. I'm also getting into drinking [whey] protein shakes after working out. I bought ON Optimum Nutrition Whey and it tastes very good believe it or not (chocolate flavor, mixed with milk/plain yogurt).

They say to eat 6 small meals a day, but really, who does this? It's tough especially with everyone's busy lives. I don't think there's many teens that follow perfect nutrition. I read that getting enough sleep/rest is very important as well.

sig3bh7.png

Holy [cabbage] dude, that's all out. Props.

I do, I just gave you an example of how to do it.

There's 4 meals right there...throw in a glass of soy/skim milk and nuts, there's 5. Have some fruit and a Clif/protein/power bar...there's 6.

Oh god, I love Clif bars. I eat them whenever I don't have time to make myself a protein shake.