longsword beats scimmy so bad

aarow

Jagex straight up says in the knowledge base the scimmy is better. End of argument.

You're kinda starting to annoy ME, and that takes a special kind of person.

Everything you base your defences on are in the Knowledge Base. Stfu and give your own damn opinion instead of having to be right all the damn time. :|

EDIT: End of discussion yet? It's already been proven..

I dont need a siggy no moar.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so many people use a scimitar over a longsword, and why i might ask? because it looks cooler who cares effectiveness over beauty people! Also heres a little fact, longswords also boost your defense here are the stats of its defence slash 3 crush 2, oh and don't forget the scimmy gets defence bonouses to slash 1! Here a stats of a longsword and scimmy compared. Best atk stat: longsword :thumbup: : slash 47 scimitar :thumbdown: : slash 45

total str: longsword :thumbup: : 49 scimitar :thumbdown: : 44

so if you add all of the longswords advantages it gets +11 (def +4) (atk +2) (str +5) why would you pick a scimmy? All a scimmy has is about is slightly superior speed, truely though its such a small diference it doesn't even matter, even if the longsword only had a +5 advantage it would still be better. I did some testing and heres what i got scimmy hits 22 times a minute, and longsword hits 20. now for the math, u multiply the 49 str by 20 u get 980, add 940 (47x20) is 1920 then add 100 (5x20) and you get 2020 as the total for the longsword. the scimmy gets 968 (44x22) pluse 990 (45x22) is 1958 then add 22 (1x22) 1970 is the total for the scimitar! 1970 or 2020? your choice. thats a difference of 50 pts. u could lose a fight because of those kinds of small differences.

Firstly, there's no point calculating all these points and then saying how Longsword wins the Scimitar by so many points and therefore is a better weapon. This is all theoretical but to really find out, you have to do the practical tests yourself.

Granted that the Longsword does have all these slightly better accuracy bonuses and allows you a +1 to max hit. However, I'd agree with most people that the Rune Scimitar is better for training on NPCs. Why? Because I myself tested the xp/hr I can get. Like what most people agreed on, the tiny bonuses doesn't really show up much since the combat mechanism is based on random dice rolls(?)...

Next, I tested the 2 weapons at the Giant Spiders and timed at hourly intervals the amount of xp i received. The average xp I received for using Rune Scimitar was about 41804 xp. The average xp I got from Rune Longsword was about 35952 xp.

I kept the tests as accurate as possible, meaning that whenever there's Random Events, I'd stop the timer and resume it once I got back to the combat area. Thus, I can safely say that Scimitar is better for training on NPCs although I am not sure about the aspects of PvP. Not sure about Dragon weapons and their specials though so no comments on that.

Lastly, about the notion that 'small differences between sword and scimitar doesn't matter much and won't show; only speed matters", I'd have to agree with the majority of the TIFers here.

One interesting thing that someone can test (if they have the time or are interested in), would be using an Adamantite Scimitar and a Rune Longsword. Now, they have a somewhat significant difference in stats. It would make for an interesting test between speed and stats. :lol: I might try that sometime.. if i got the time. Watch this space~

EDIT: Well I just smithed myself an Adamantite Scimitar and going to test it out now. I will edit in the xp per hour here and then maybe post the average xp/hr. Btw, I have already begun the test and things are looking really bad for Rune Longsword. :lol: . Maybe's still too early to tell. We'll see!

:lol: Well, what do you all know! i've just finished one round of test for Adamantite Scimitar and the xp I got was somewhere close to what a Rune Longsword could give me in an hour.

Adamantite Scimitar --- 35032xp/hr (after 1 test; may try more tests if I got the time or someone can try for themselves :D )

Rune Longsword --- 35952xp/hr (average)

To be honest, the 2 results above doesn't differ by too much; maybe about 4 Giant Spiders with a HP of 50 (200xp ea). This was the result I got at 92 Attack and 99 Strength. (Max hit of 16 with Addy Scimitar)

Of course, the best way to test this further would be to do a few more rounds and then getting the average amount of xp. Also, I think for lower leveled players, the attack bonuses given by the Rune Longsword would be better than the speed of the Adamantite Scimitar. For players with higher level of Attack, perhaps speed is all that matters.

For lower-level players with a tight budget, sticking to an addy scimitar isn't that bad until you can afford a better scimitar~ \:D/

So in true Mythbusters style -----

1.The scimitar is a better weapon than a longsword for training: Confirmed

2.Scimitars' speed is a better factor over the Longsword slightly higher stats: Confirmed

3.Speed's so important such that a scimitar 1-level lower is better than a longsword that's 1-level higher: Plausible (with strength potion?) or Busted(?)

P.S: I don't know much about Specs and the likes of Dragon weaponry; also not too sure about PvP aspects. But all in all, if you are playing this game for fun and stuff, then just use the weapon that you like.

EDIT: Psss....I was actually secretly hoping that the addy scimitar would win! :lol:

From a mathematical viewpoint it makes no sense to use longswords over a scimitar...

Let's say your average scimitar natural hit is 17 (not max; just average), and with a longsword it would be 18.

A longsword hits 20 times per minute, a scimitar hits 22 times per minute.

•  
    [*:2bad71z6]On average, a longsword will deal 360 damage per minute

[*:2bad71z6]On average, a scimitar will deal 374 damage per minute

And the 17/18 are interchangeable with your real average hit... The damage difference/attack bonuses are too small to compensate for the speed difference, you're actually hurting your combat effectiveness by using a longsword.

There is no rational reason for using a longsword over a scimitar in RS2 (if both are made from the same metal). In the long run, a scimitar will statistically always provide you more XP due to a higher rate of hitting per minute.

From a mathematical viewpoint it makes no sense to use longswords over a scimitar...

Let's say your average scimitar natural hit is 17 (not max; just average), and with a longsword it would be 18.

•  
    [*:ruqquz4q]On average, a longsword will deal 360 damage per minute

[*:ruqquz4q]On average, a scimitar will deal 374 damage per minute

And the 17/18 are interchangeable with your real average hit... The damage difference is too small to compensate for the speed difference, you're actually hurting your combat effectiveness by using a longsword. There is no rational reason for using a longsword over a scimitar in RS.

Not to mention better looking, and more respectable (dragon)

However, I can see the arguement for special attacks, my answer to that is, Dbaxe or DDS ;)

I've posted this before, and i will post it again.

A scimitar will always hit more per minute than a longsword if you hit your max hit everytime.

Levon.png Bladewing.png

It's great you know what you're talking about rustiod. Everything you've said is 100% accurate a true.

That being said...your a [bleep]ing [bleep] douchebag, and none of your advice will ever (or should ever) be taken seriously because of it.

disregard good advice because the giver is a douche

THAT MAKES YOU A BETTER PERSON

A scimitar will always hit more per minute than a longsword if you hit your max hit everytime.

But that NEVER happens. unles your haxxing. so long run the bit of accuracy and str of longsword could win out.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

But that NEVER happens. unles your haxxing. so long run the bit of accuracy and str of longsword could win out.

Except that it doesn't. D scimmy, tested over and over, is superior to the D long in every way, on every monster (Except for stabbing metal dragons, but that's besides the point).

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

•  
    [*:3vmq9odp]On average, a longsword will deal 360 damage per minute

[*:3vmq9odp]On average, a scimitar will deal 374 damage per minute

And the 17/18 are interchangeable with your real average hit... The damage difference/attack bonuses are too small to compensate for the speed difference, you're actually hurting your combat effectiveness by using a longsword.

There is no rational reason for using a longsword over a scimitar in RS2 (if both are made from the same metal). In the long run, a scimitar will statistically always provide you more XP due to a higher rate of hitting per minute.

It's not that simple a scimitar beats the longsword on F2P.

My rune long got a slightly higher attack bonus and slash defense bonus (even better in combination with power ammy). That's exact what you need against a rune scimi + strength ammy user (typical strength pure config) in PvP on F2P.

Scimi+strength user: Attack 45 slash defence 0 strength 54

....Long+power user: Attack 53 slash defence 8 strength 55

I think rune long wins...

greedy44.png

•  
    [*:1u8f0w4p]On average, a longsword will deal 360 damage per minute

[*:1u8f0w4p]On average, a scimitar will deal 374 damage per minute

It's not that simple a scimitar beats the longsword on F2P.

My rune long got a slightly higher attack bonus and slash defense bonus (even better in combination with power ammy). That's exact what you need against a rune scimi + strength ammy user (typical strength pure config) in PvP on F2P.

Scimi+strength user: Attack 45 slash defence 0 strength 54

....Long+power user: Attack 53 slash defence 8 strength 55

I think rune long wins...

Actually, it doesn't. Don't look at it from a stats point; there is simply too many variables and who knows what really goes on in the game code. The only real evidence we have is real world tests, ALL of which prove that the scimitar is superior to the longsword. Don't argue about stats, test it yourself. Scimmy's better in every way, period. No need for further argument :P

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Don't flame me for this, but why are there other weapons for players to choose from if everyone says that the Dragon Schimitar is better than the Dragon Longsword... If this weapon is seriously worse than the schimmy, why is it in the game? Because it's personal preference!!! Stop spending so much time on calculations and just have some fun..... jeez

Don't flame me for this, but why are there other weapons for players to choose from if everyone says that the Dragon Schimitar is better than the Dragon Longsword... If this weapon is seriously worse than the schimmy, why is it in the game? Because it's personal preference!!! Stop spending so much time on calculations and just have some fun..... jeez

It is worse, as is every other weapon besides scimmy. 2h at least has some 'use' as a KO wep, but all the rest are SIGNIFICANTLY worse. If you want to train much slower but have more fun because your looking cooler but hitting worse, go ahead and use any other weapon. This argument is about which weapon gets more XP, not which one looks cooler. And the scimmy wins the XP debate.

DeviledEgg24.png

Because Jagex doesn't know what balance is.

And Longsword sucks, why is this even a rant? Hell, it's not even a debate. Fact is, it's worse.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, the scimmy owns longsword any day of the week, except it's spec might as well just poke your enemy in terms of it's usefulness, and besides, the only weapon I can ever hit anything with is a dragon dagger. :?

No.png

CLICK THE IMAGE TO GO TRY SHARK ATTACK DANGIT.

I agree, the scimmy owns longsword any day of the week, except it's spec might as well just poke your enemy in terms of it's usefulness, and besides, the only weapon I can ever hit anything with is a dragon dagger. :?

And in both cases, the longsword spec owns the hardest since it can hit slightly less harder than a dds but MUCH more accurate.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

And in both cases, the longsword spec owns the hardest since it can hit slightly less harder than a dds but MUCH more accurate.

Not true. DD++ is very, very powerful. I've KOed maxed players with 4 specs, and you nearly always get a couple of hits in. For any player 100-, 4 dd++ specs is instant death, almost every time.

DeviledEgg24.png

Not true. DD++ is very, very powerful. I've KOed maxed players with 4 specs, and you nearly always get a couple of hits in. For any player 100-, 4 dd++ specs is instant death, almost every time.

For more proof, please consult compfreak847's avatar.

well if your telling the truth then i guess longsword are better for monsters, but for pvp scimitars are alot better since you can change and spec with dds faster.

Longswords still aren't better for monsters, although that's an interesting point you bring up about speccing - it really depends on your clicking speed.

DeviledEgg24.png