Advice requested for waterfiend slayer assignment

Sorghaghtani

Ok, so here is the basic deal. I have been assigned waterfiends for the first time. According to the bestiary, I should use crush attacks while wearing my black d'hide for magic resistance and praying against ranging. I am using a rune warhammer for this because I have one. I don't like to spend big money for things I won't use a lot, and I have an abyssal whip for general melee. With an almost full load of monkfish, some stat boosting potions and an iron minotaur (because I have them) summoned to divide their attacks and help with the fighting, I am generally killing 1 or 2 per trip into the chaos tunnels. I managed to kill 3 once. I realize that a warhammer is not the fastest weapon, but I also seem to get a lot of misses or low damage hits. Yes, these waterfiends are a challenge for my lowly combat 105 character. I will work through them, but I'd like to be able to get it done a little faster.

Question: What do people recommend for weaponry and/or strategies? I will read all responses with interest and decide which seem best suited to my playing style. Would buying a granite maul be worth the gold? How much slower would it be than a warhammer? How much harder will it hit? Accuracy? Will it resell quickly afterwards if I don't want to keep it?

Any advice would be welcome. Sorghaghtani

Go to playermade guides.. There's tons of guide for waterfiends. Or just search on youtube.

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

DO NOT kill them in the Chaos Tunnels.

Do the firemaking portion of the barbarian training and kill them in the Ancient Cavern. If you want to train slayer you are going to NEED a decent crush weapon. I will suggest a Zamorakian Spear given it's cheap cost. However, if that's too much, buy a Verac's Flail instead. Anything worse is just unbearable.

Otherwise, you have most of it right pre-68 summoning.

Foooman.png

I would use a barrelchest anchor before a barrows weapon. But of course a zammy spear is going to be the best option. Wear Karil's top and bottom with a black mask/slayer helmet, kill them in the Ancient Cavern, and use protection from ranged with prayer potions.

Attempting to kill them in the Chaos Tunnels is suicide.

Definitely take the time to gain access to the Ancient Caverns. Wear Karil's and Your Black Mask / Slayer Helm, and either D Boots or Infinity Boots work (for me at least). When I did my first task, I didn't have enough money for a Zamorakian Spear so I just went ahead and used a Dragon Battle Axe and that sufficed fine.

Good Luck on your task :)

206mwr6.jpg

99 Fletching || 288/309 Quest Points || 99 Cooking ||

122 Combat || 99 Defence || 2000+ Total ||

16/25 80+'s || 99 Firemaking || 99 Woodcutting ||

2011 Goals : All skills 80+ | 99 Magic | 99 Farming | 99 Thieving | 99 Hunter | 99 Range

"The Unexamined Life is not worth living" - Socrates

Thank you all for your responses. Let me see where I stand.

The Zamorkian Spear does not seem like a bad idea. It is fairly reasonable to buy assuming there is any kind of supply. I didn't realize that a spear would have a crush attack. Silly me.

The Karil's Armour is a bit more problematic. I can certainly afford it, I just don't like the idea of buying too many of my goodies. I like to make or aquire them myself whenever possible. I am fairly comfortable with my defensive level against the waterfiends. They don't hit me very hard or very often. If I could deal more damage at a faster rate and kill more than just 2 on a trip, I'd be pretty happy. I think I'll try out the spear first and keep the armour in mind.

Everybody seems to be of the opinion that I shouldn't use the chaos tunnels but go straight to the ancient cavern. The problem I have with that is the dragon factor. Yes, chaos tunnels are multicombat, but the iron minotaur helps cut that down nicely. I ventured into the ancient cavern once back when I finished the barbarian fire training, took one look at that big green beastie breathing fire at me behind my little anti-dragon shield, and ported my puckered little behind back to safety real quick. Ok, I'm a wimp. Or at least cautious. Will I be constantly ducking those dragons in the cavern or do I just need to run like mad past the first one and then deal with only waterfiends 1 on 1? I assume the ancient cavern isn't multicombat or there would be no question about going there.

Oh, and I use iron minotaurs because I have them. I am barely summoning 54 and do not have a large supply of the higher charms. As it is, I will probably use up my pouches before I finish the waterfiends and then I'll have to resort to an even lesser summoning. Or buy my way out, which I would really prefer not to do as I mentioned earlier.

So my plan for now will be to buy a Zamorkian Spear and see how it works for a couple of trips. I may make a "dry run" into the ancient cavern to have a better look around, fully expecting to die while doing it so I'll only bring 3 good items and some stuff I can afford to lose.

And I'll check back for any more thoughts/suggestions you helpful fellows may have. Thanks.

Sorghaghtani

Put on protect from mage when you run past the brutal greens, and you'll be fine. If you stay deep in waterfiend territory you won't run into any trouble.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

The dragons won't be a problem. They don't mix with the waterfiends, so as long as you stay far enough to the west you won't be attacked by them. Don't stray too close, because they do have a ranged attack...they just don't usually see you.

So... you were killing one or two waterfiends a trip using a rune warhammer and an iron minotaur in the CHAOS TUNNELS?

You must have the patience of a GOD. I have a feeling a LOT of your RS life would be a LOT simpler if you took a couple minutes to read guides on things like this. This is just RIDICULOUSLY bad.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Thank you all for your responses. Let me see where I stand.

The Zamorkian Spear does not seem like a bad idea. It is fairly reasonable to buy assuming there is any kind of supply. I didn't realize that a spear would have a crush attack. Silly me.

The Karil's Armour is a bit more problematic. I can certainly afford it, I just don't like the idea of buying too many of my goodies. I like to make or aquire them myself whenever possible. I am fairly comfortable with my defensive level against the waterfiends. Then your an idiot. Why would you not want more kills/trip? They don't hit me very hard or very often. If I could deal more damage at a faster rate and kill more than just 2 on a trip, I'd be pretty happy. I think I'll try out the spear first and keep the armour in mind. OMG! I get more like 500 if I wanted to, lol. Get Karils.

Everybody seems to be of the opinion that I shouldn't use the chaos tunnels but go straight to the ancient cavern. The problem I have with that is the dragon factor. The dragons are in a whole different area from the Waterfiends buddy. Yes, chaos tunnels are multicombat, but the iron minotaur helps cut that down nicely. ... no it doesn't... I ventured into the ancient cavern once back when I finished the barbarian fire training, took one look at that big green beastie breathing fire at me behind my little anti-dragon shield, and ported my puckered little behind back to safety real quick. Ok, I'm a wimp. Or at least cautious. Will I be constantly ducking those dragons in the cavern or do I just need to run like mad past the first one and then deal with only waterfiends 1 on 1? I assume the ancient cavern isn't multicombat or there would be no question about going there. It's not multicombat. I don't even use a shield, I just pray mage. I usually get hit 15-20 damage before I get there... which = nothing.

Oh, and I use iron minotaurs because I have them. I am barely summoning 54 and do not have a large supply of the higher charms. As it is, I will probably use up my pouches before I finish the waterfiends and then I'll have to resort to an even lesser summoning. Or buy my way out, which I would really prefer not to do as I mentioned earlier. Trade them back in for shards...?

So my plan for now will be to buy a Zamorkian Spear and see how it works for a couple of trips. I may make a "dry run" into the ancient cavern to have a better look around, fully expecting to die while doing it so I'll only bring 3 good items and some stuff I can afford to lose. Lol, follow a guide.

And I'll check back for any more thoughts/suggestions you helpful fellows may have. Thanks. Ok.

Sorghaghtani

All in all, Chaos tunnels are at least 20x more dangerous then Ancient cavern. Seriously.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

You seem like a pretty educated player.. I really don't understand why you choose to do some of the things you say.. Your logic is quite mixed, on almost everything you are doing.. Read up on the forums, and don't be afraid to spend! Don't be so frugal. While Karil's armor isn't NEEDED at all, it's recommended (worst case scenario: you sell it back for less after you figure out you don't need it, losing maybe ~10k [Honestly though, all barrows armor is on the rise.. Buying Karils could be a smart thing to do!]). Same with the Zamorakian Spear, although the market for those is all over the place. Your logic on summons, no offense.. Is very off. Minotaur's will do minimal damage (hardly much of a help, or much less than a Terrorbird could be to you [And save your Blue charms! Trust me, you'll be glad you did]). Once you hit 68 summoning, you will be able to use a Bunyip.. Which is practically created for here (swallow whole scroll is additional healing, from their raw fish drops).

Read up on a guide, and remember to play smarter, not harder.

~Zackdt

zackdt.png

first off use something better than war hammer even a maul or hams is better or ask someone to lend ss or zam spear

i usually use obby maul or hammer and obby neclace. not very cheap but seems to work well

second use karils for best mage def

third use the ancient cavern not chaos tunnels

finally this is gonna sound crazy but use rouge boots if u have them not drag they give best range def of any boot in game

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

first off use something better than war hammer even a maul or hams is better or ask someone to lend ss or zam spear

i usually use obby maul or hammer and obby neclace. not very cheap but seems to work well

finally this is gonna sound crazy but use rouge boots if u have them not drag they give best range def of any boot in game

Not to bash on you, but some of your advise isn't really good..

One Weapon setup you might want to try is a Dragon Mace (1Handed, useful special weapon, Prayer bonus! [save P Pots], and is faster than Maul, T Hammers, Ect.) Because it's one handed, you can also use a shield.. Good for extra magic defense, or attack bonus (Rune Defender).. Personally, if you have access to a God Book (prices are very expensive nowdays, but if you have any of them completed, use them), I recommend you use that in your shield spot for either Attack/Defense and Prayer bonus'.

Lastly, since you are praying range.. Range defense is obsolete.. Focus on Strength (Climbing, Rune, Dragon) Bonus, or Magic defense (Mystic, Infinity, ect.)..

~Zackdt

zackdt.png

One Weapon setup you might want to try is a Dragon Mace (1Handed, useful special weapon, Prayer bonus! [save P Pots], and is faster than Maul, T Hammers, Ect.) Because it's one handed, you can also use a shield.. Good for extra magic defense, or attack bonus (Rune Defender).. Personally, if you have access to a God Book (prices are very expensive nowdays, but if you have any of them completed, use them), I recommend you use that in your shield spot for either Attack/Defense and Prayer bonus'.

Lastly, since you are praying range.. Range defense is obsolete.. Focus on Strength (Climbing, Rune, Dragon) Bonus, or Magic defense (Mystic, Infinity, ect.)..

Some people prefer verac's flail, but I have absolutely no experience.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

d mace barly hits at all for me and an alternate set up is torags with rouge boots and useing mage pray instead of range it seems to work just as good as karil and range pray

and obby mace is also one handed so u can also use a shield with it

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!