New New Nano

runescapeloser22

You said everyone was getting excited about the new iPod, I told you what they [emphasis added] were really getting excited about

No, you kept saying things like "I don't think it's really the iPod we get excited about" and "we can appear to others to be smart". Anyway, good stuff, sorry for this confusion.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find them to have very good sound quality, especially the iPhone/Touch/Nano. The WiFi capability, GPS, Video player, multi-touch, and the latest software 2.1 makes the iPod by far the best AV device there is. You can even wirelessly store files on an iPod Touch/iPhone via local network connection.

I can't stop laughing at this.

Arrogant fool, do you know of any other pocket device which can match the power of the iPhone/iTouch?

Software 2 fixed the locator on 'Maps'. Now, you can locate yourself provided you have WiFi access!

ipodmapshs2.jpg

An astounding number of games and applications - even 2-player air hockey!

ipodairhockey1fe2.jpg

Graphical representation of nearby WiFi networks - and it's pretty accurate, too!

ipodwififofum1my0.jpg

It even acts as a local web server.

lws1aq8.png

I've tried my best to make the images to scale. On my computer, they are.

You're the one talking out of your arse and I'm the arrogant one

I [bleep]ing love Apple fanboys :lol:

The iTunes 8 update include the Genius feature, which I was eager to give a go. It's actually pretty good, although nothing new as Last.fm and Pandora have been doing it for years, but it's nice to have instant playlists in your iTunes. There was a rumour that they were going to provide it as a free update for iPod classics, but apparently it was just a rumour. It's a shame because that would have been really nice.

Speaking of iTunes 8, is anyone else having trouble with Live Messenger v8.5's "Now Playing" feature? I've made iTunes my default music player in Control Panel, and checked Messenger's settings and it still won't work. I'm on XP, not Vista, if that's the problem.

I think people love apple's products because they are easy to use, even for the people who are not good with computers, overall the iPod is pretty basic and easy to understand. The new iPod nano looks pretty decent to me, I like the range of colors, accelometer, and genius. I added the genius to my itunes and I haven't tried it yet, but it suggests songs from the store for me to buy, which I like because even though I don't buy songs from iTunes, I can still get the names down.

Anyways, I love my iPod Touch, I bought the 8gb one a little after christmas. I mainly use it for music, so the size is ok, and there is still some room for episodes of my favorite show. I guess I could go for a larger capacity iPod, but I never find a time or place to watch videos on it. When I first got my iPod I jailbroke it, I suck at computers, but I still managed it somehow. After having it jailbroken for 9 months I decided to get the 2.1 (I think the first one was 2.0) update. Despite the cost, I like how it's simpler to add apps, and the choice was much larger. I don't plan to spend very much on apps, so far including the $10 update, I've spent about $20. Before that I have also purchased songs from the mobile iTunes store, which I wish I wouldn't do but it's just so dang easy.I also bought a clear plastic case which makes my iPod touch a little bulky, but it has protected it very well. Battery on the iPod touch really sucks, especially if you are using the internet, but I have many chargers, (computer, wall, car) which makes up for that. I think it kind of charges slow too though. The lower price on the new iPod Touch is a bummer, but it's been 9 months since I bought my old one, so I guess it's ok. I see on the new iPod Touch there is a speaker, but it's probably crap and tears through battery. Well so overall, I love my iPod Touch, and I don't plan on getting any new iPods for a while.

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.

Speaking of iTunes 8, is anyone else having trouble with Live Messenger v8.5's "Now Playing" feature? I've made iTunes my default music player in Control Panel, and checked Messenger's settings and it still won't work. I'm on XP, not Vista, if that's the problem.

I've got the latest versions of Messenger and iTunes and running XP and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Do you use Last.fm? Just checking the settings on my client and it sends a notification to Messenger when a new track starts, so it's possible that it's overriding any issues that Messenger and iTunes might be having. Beyond that I can't really help you, sorry.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I don't like Ipods either. They seem all too expensive to me, for the functions they offer. When I see touchpads though, buying one instead seems like a smart idea.

Too expensive? They run about the same price as the Microsoft Zune and are comparable to most other MP3 players of good quality. Not only that, I find the features on iPods to be overall better than most other MP3 players. This new Nano has genius, shake-to-shuffle, games, video, 24 hour bettery life, etc which is far more than my Zune has. I'm actually considering getting one of these new Nanos after I save up enough for my Cancun trip.

Hmm... I've got an idea. How about instead of posting crap about how much iPods suck [wagon], or how much you hate iPods for NO REASON AT ALL, why don't you post something useful?

I know I'm going to get flamed for "mindless consumerism" here, but I'd like somebody to post another mp3 player that has all of the following features:

16 GB flash drive

2 inch display w/ at least 240 ppi resolution

video capability w/ at least 30 fps

click wheel (or other touch interface)

backlit screen

full color display

24 hours music play back

ACCELEROMETER

weight under 1.5 ounces (nano is 1.3)

Not to mention the features:

Cover flow

Tons of games (ones that take advantage of the accelerometer

Smart playlists

Not to mention the fact that you can shake your iPod to shuffle it. (Not as dumb as it sounds)

Oh yeah.. It comes in 9 different color choices.

Well, half that crap is unnecessary.

I am against ipods. but to avoid flaming, i will look at the ipod and TRY to find something worthwhile on it.

Why i hate it.

Well, its overpriced, and has useless features.

Most people buy it cuz its the "cool thing". they want to be "iPodders".

Then, in class, people pull it out and play with it too get attention. -.-

iPod shuffle vs. Creative Zen stone.

Zen stone wins. why? iPod shuffle or whatever the hell is overpriced. zen stone has just as much space.

Now, assuming apple is going with the same price ratio, every iPodder has been ripped off like... 20-30$

image.png image.png

Oh yeah, and I've thought of taking babies and throwing them. For funsies. - Lenticular J

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

"Isn't it pathetic how everything in our society is built around someone screwing someone else out of their money?" - killerbeer0 on American Society

Rebdragon can't wiz a woz.

Hmm... I've got an idea. How about instead of posting crap about how much iPods suck [wagon], or how much you hate iPods for NO REASON AT ALL, why don't you post something useful?

I know I'm going to get flamed for "mindless consumerism" here, but I'd like somebody to post another mp3 player that has all of the following features:

16 GB flash drive

backlit screen

full color display

24 hours music play back

ACCELEROMETER

Cover flow

Smart playlists

Not to mention the fact that you can shake your iPod to shuffle it. (Not as dumb as it sounds)

I am against ipods. but to avoid flaming, i will look at the ipod and TRY to find something worthwhile on it.

Why i hate it.

Zen stone wins. why? iPod shuffle or whatever the hell is overpriced. zen stone has just as much space.

Now, assuming apple is going with the same price ratio, every iPodder has been ripped off like... 20-30$

The only things that might be, "unnecessary" are the accelerometer, cover flow, games, and the shake to shuffle. Also, iPod shuffles are smaller then a cookie, cost something like $30, and you can't really "play with them". People don't buy them because they want to be cool, they buy them because they want an easy way to listen to music and watch videos.

16 GB flash drive

backlit screen

full color display

24 hours music play back

ACCELEROMETER

Cover flow

Smart playlists

Why i hate it.

The only things that might be, "unnecessary" are the accelerometer, cover flow, games, and the shake to shuffle. Also, iPod shuffles are smaller then a cookie, cost something like $30, and you can't really "play with them". People don't buy them because they want to be cool, they buy them because they want an easy way to listen to music and watch videos.

no no ona man, come to my city. people here DO buy it to try be cool :l and i didnt say it was the shuffles they were playing with, just ipods in general. I've had an ipod nano, found it to be pointless, so i sold it.omg i love your avvy

image.png image.png

Oh yeah, and I've thought of taking babies and throwing them. For funsies. - Lenticular J

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

"Isn't it pathetic how everything in our society is built around someone screwing someone else out of their money?" - killerbeer0 on American Society

deloria, i can afford them, i have a job. What makes me angry is when people assume people hate it cause they cant afford it, and as ive mentioned, i had one, just didnt like it. then sold it. I just dont like being jipped when i could just as easily get a diffeent mp3 with the same features minus the ones id probably never use, and then still have some money to spend.

image.png image.png

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

deloria, i can afford them, i have a job. What makes me angry is when people assume people hate it cause they cant afford it, and as ive mentioned, i had one, just didnt like it. then sold it. I just dont like being jipped when i could just as easily get a diffeent mp3 with the same features minus the ones id probably never use, and then still have some money to spend.

You still haven't proven to me that iPods are overpriced, just that you'd go for a lesser known brand MP3 player. Go compare prices and features of iPods and multiple other MP3 players including the Zune and then tell me iPods are overpriced. Better yet, make a nice little chart for each one and post back. If you don't comply, don't bother arguing that iPods are overpriced.

looking right now.

image.png image.png

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

I've got the latest versions of Messenger and iTunes and running XP and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Do you use Last.fm? Just checking the settings on my client and it sends a notification to Messenger when a new track starts, so it's possible that it's overriding any issues that Messenger and iTunes might be having. Beyond that I can't really help you, sorry.

I downloaded Last.fm and it's working like a dream now. Cheers. ::'

its overpriced

Prove it. Prove to me that iPods are overpriced. Get some real statistics and prove it.

I'm sick of you kids saying they're overpriced because you can't afford them or some other unknown reason. They are not overpriced.

I'm sick of people born with a silver spoon in their mouths telling others that items are not 'overpriced'.

When iTunes have what is tantamount to a monopoly over the digital downloads market, and don't even allow companies to sell items for the price they want to sell it for, yes, it's overpriced.

I've had to spend a good £250 on my iPod + songs. If the market was broken up to allow competition, I have a feeling I'd only have had to pay half of that.

its overpriced

Prove it. Prove to me that iPods are overpriced. Get some real statistics and prove it.

I'm sick of you kids saying they're overpriced because you can't afford them or some other unknown reason. They are not overpriced.

I'm sick of people born with a silver spoon in their mouths telling others that items are not 'overpriced'.

When iTunes have what is tantamount to a monopoly over the digital downloads market, and don't even allow companies to sell items for the price they want to sell it for, yes, it's overpriced.

I've had to spend a good £250 on my iPod + songs. If the market was broken up to allow competition, I have a feeling I'd only have had to pay half of that.

Apple has a monopoly over the MP3 player market as well. They have ~75% of consumers. They know what they're doing and they're banking on it. I applaud them for that. I also applaud them for getting people to actually pay for music when internet piracy is so simple.

Yeah, they do control it.

On another note, I bought my brother's Zune from him for 20 bucks. I like it a lot. Texas Hold 'Em, Hexic, and about 4500 songs on there. Room for up to...6000? But I'm putting some videos on, too, so I dunno.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I've had my 4g nano for over 2 years now and it still works great

Same here, and I don't see the point in making them smaller since I can never feel it in my pocket. Other than the battery being 50% less effective, i'll still be using the 1st gen nano for a looong time :D

2 days after this post mi iPod stopped playing out of the left ear. The connections inside the headphone jack slot are all worn out and after rewiring 3 times, it looks like i'll be getting the new nano when it comes out tomorrow.

hiccup.png

The ipods are overpriced, and I has proof :P

[hide=new ipod nano 8GB]So apple shop says:

8 Go1: 2 000 chansons / 8 heures de vidéo 169,00 $

That's canadian dollars f00s

Now we go on CNET.com, they like to kiss apples [wagon] but that's the only credible mp3 website I rememeber atm, so...

Our apple kiss [wagon] say:

Apple iPod Nano (fourth generation, 8GB, silver)

Price range: $139.94 - $149.99

Let' see the specs:

Mfr estimated battery life

24 hour(s)

Battery Life Details

Video playback 4 hour(s), Digital playback 24 hour(s)

In case someone is insane enough to watch videos on it.

Is there a radio homies? Nope, no radio.

Formats supported?

Digital player supported digital audio standards

WAV, AIFF, Audible, MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless

Weight

1.3 oz

Only works with the crappy itunes apple uses.

And thats pretty much what I saw that's relevant.[/hide][hide=sansa fuze 8GB]Now let's compare to

SanDisk Sansa Fuze (8GB, silver)

Which has been very popular aswell.

Price range: $95.99 - $156.36 -WIN-

24 hour(s)

Battery Life Details

MP3 playback 24 hour(s), Video playback 5 hour(s)

-TIE-

WMA, WAV, Audible, MP3

-TIE-

Radio :P -WIN-

Radio

FM station preset qty

Tuner type

Digital Radio tuner

Tuner bands

FM

Weight -LOSE-

2.1 oz

It is very physically unattractive btw.

40 dollars cheaper :P

Cons:

Weights 0.8 more oz, oh noes!

Doesn't support unused formats noone cares about, but supports WMA :P

Pros:

Has FM radio

40 dollars cheaper

What do you ghetto people are going to buy? :P

As a side note, many websites say that the fuze has better sound quality than the ipods.[/hide]

Short comparison:

[hide=Old ipod nano 4BG]The old: Apple iPod Nano (third generation, 4GB, silver)

Price range: $109.95 - $149.99

Weight

1.7 oz

Battery Life Details

Digital playback 24 hour(s), Video playback 5 hour(s)

Mfr estimated battery life 24 hour(s)

Software Included (lol, more like forced) iTunes 7.4 or later

No radio[/hide][hide=Sandisk sansa clip 4GB]SanDisk Sansa Clip (4GB, silver)

Price range: $64.99 - $104.24

Radio: yes

Digital Radio tuner Station preset qty 40

Tuner bands FM

WMA, Protected WMA (DRM), Audible, MP3

Battery Life Details

MP3 playback 15 hour(s) (battery took a hit)

No weight specified, its small anyhow

About 44 dollars cheaper, you lose 10 hours of battery life, and gain FM radio.[/hide]

Now if we go into the heavy weights

[hide=Apple Ipod classic 120GB]Apple website says:

120 Go1

30 000 chansons

150 heures de vidéo

Expédié sous: 1 à 2 jours ouvrables

279,00 $

280$? Why does apple always sell it expensive to us poor canadians? Pffff

Our kiss [wagon] say:

Apple iPod Classic (second generation, 120GB, silver)

Price range: $239.94 - $249.99

We obviously have to take their word for it right?

Weight

4.9 oz

Battery Life Details

Digital playback 36 hour(s), Video playback 6 hour(s)

36 hour(s)[/hide][hide=Microsoft Zune 80GB]Microsoft Zune (second generation, 80GB, black)

120GB is not out yet, it will soon, but for now we have just 80 to compare to.

As a side note, Zune is also known to have better audio quality than ipods.

Price range: $229.99 - $549.99

WMA, MP3, AAC

Weight

4.5 oz

20 hour(s)

Battery Life Details

Music playback (wireless off) 20 hour(s), Pictures 5 hour(s), Video playback 5 hour(s)

The ipod definitively wins this one, BY FAR. However, the audio quality is still lacking, as usual.[/hide]

Now into the mp3s with nice and pretty screens to look at.

[hide=Apple ipod touch 16GB]Apple iPod Touch (second generation, 16GB)

Price range: $287.87 - $299.99

Weight

4.1 oz

Display Type

LCD 3.5 in

Battery Life Details

36 hour(s)

Ipod sound quality which is not very good

Software Included

iTunes Store account, iTunes 8 or later[/hide][hide=Cowon D2 16GB]Cowon D2 (16GB, black)

Cowons new baby

Good audio quality, as usual from cowon

Price range: $211.73 - $214.95

For some reason CNET had no specs, which made me angry and I had to go check the cowon website, which is korean and confusing as usual.

SD Memory expansion slot: you can have extra memory beyond 16GB

Screen: 2.5", 24 bit (16 million) color, 320 x 240, TFT-LCD

Weight: 91 g (3.21 oz)

Rated battery life: 52 hours for music, 10 hours for video <-- See this? XD Cowon always very good at battery life

FM radio

FM recorder

Voice recorder

An easy win for the D2[/hide]

Now there are so many players, it's difficult to compare. But you can see the general pattern here: Sometimes Ipod is better than the competition, sometimes it isn't, but it is ALWAYS more expensive(except maybe in the zunes case... I thought zune was supposed to be better?). :P

Anyway, Im posting this before my computer crashes and kills all my damn work! I'm going to go dig through internet for info on sound comparison between ipods and other brands. More on that later.

2480+ total

About the iPod touch arguement, you are forgetting that it has wifi, an Internet browser, toucan watch YouTube videos, and who knows what else you can find by jailbreaking or through the app store. Infact I am posting from it right now from a modified web browser that you can get by jailbreaking. 3rd party apps are why people mainly buy iPods, since there is a lot of consumers, there's bound to be developers and software that apple doesn't provide itself. Did I mention the iPod touch can call people with he proper hardware and software?

[hide]The ipods are overpriced, and I has proof :P

[hide=new ipod nano 8GB]So apple shop says:

8 Go1: 2 000 chansons / 8 heures de vidéo 169,00 $

That's canadian dollars f00s

Now we go on CNET.com, they like to kiss apples [wagon] but that's the only credible mp3 website I rememeber atm, so...

Our apple kiss [wagon] say:

Apple iPod Nano (fourth generation, 8GB, silver)

Price range: $139.94 - $149.99

Let' see the specs:

24 hour(s)

Battery Life Details

Video playback 4 hour(s), Digital playback 24 hour(s)

In case someone is insane enough to watch videos on it.

Is there a radio homies? Nope, no radio.

Formats supported?

Weight

1.3 oz

Only works with the crappy itunes apple uses.

And thats pretty much what I saw that's relevant.[/hide][hide=sansa fuze 8GB]Now let's compare to

SanDisk Sansa Fuze (8GB, silver)

Which has been very popular aswell.

Price range: $95.99 - $156.36 -WIN-

24 hour(s)

Battery Life Details

MP3 playback 24 hour(s), Video playback 5 hour(s)

-TIE-

WMA, WAV, Audible, MP3

-TIE-

Radio :P -WIN-

Radio

FM station preset qty

Tuner type

Digital Radio tuner

Tuner bands

FM

Weight -LOSE-

2.1 oz

It is very physically unattractive btw.

40 dollars cheaper :P

Cons:

Weights 0.8 more oz, oh noes!

Doesn't support unused formats noone cares about, but supports WMA :P

Pros:

Has FM radio

40 dollars cheaper

What do you ghetto people are going to buy? :P

As a side note, many websites say that the fuze has better sound quality than the ipods.[/hide]

Short comparison:

[hide=Old ipod nano 4BG]The old: Apple iPod Nano (third generation, 4GB, silver)

Price range: $109.95 - $149.99

Weight

1.7 oz

Battery Life Details

Digital playback 24 hour(s), Video playback 5 hour(s)

Mfr estimated battery life 24 hour(s)

Software Included (lol, more like forced) iTunes 7.4 or later

No radio[/hide][hide=Sandisk sansa clip 4GB]SanDisk Sansa Clip (4GB, silver)

Price range: $64.99 - $104.24

Radio: yes

Digital Radio tuner Station preset qty 40

Tuner bands FM

WMA, Protected WMA (DRM), Audible, MP3

Battery Life Details

MP3 playback 15 hour(s) (battery took a hit)

No weight specified, its small anyhow

About 44 dollars cheaper, you lose 10 hours of battery life, and gain FM radio.[/hide]

Now if we go into the heavy weights

[hide=Apple Ipod classic 120GB]Apple website says:

120 Go1

30 000 chansons

150 heures de vidéo

Expédié sous: 1 à 2 jours ouvrables

279,00 $

280$? Why does apple always sell it expensive to us poor canadians? Pffff

Our kiss [wagon] say:

Apple iPod Classic (second generation, 120GB, silver)

Price range: $239.94 - $249.99

We obviously have to take their word for it right?

Weight

4.9 oz

Battery Life Details

36 hour(s)[/hide][hide=Microsoft Zune 80GB]Microsoft Zune (second generation, 80GB, black)

120GB is not out yet, it will soon, but for now we have just 80 to compare to.

As a side note, Zune is also known to have better audio quality than ipods.

Price range: $229.99 - $549.99

WMA, MP3, AAC

Weight

4.5 oz

20 hour(s)

Battery Life Details

Music playback (wireless off) 20 hour(s), Pictures 5 hour(s), Video playback 5 hour(s)

The ipod definitively wins this one, BY FAR. However, the audio quality is still lacking, as usual.[/hide]

Now into the mp3s with nice and pretty screens to look at.

[hide=Apple ipod touch 16GB]Apple iPod Touch (second generation, 16GB)

Price range: $287.87 - $299.99

Weight

4.1 oz

Display Type

LCD 3.5 in

Battery Life Details

36 hour(s)

Ipod sound quality which is not very good

Software Included

iTunes Store account, iTunes 8 or later[/hide][hide=Cowon D2 16GB]Cowon D2 (16GB, black)

Cowons new baby

Good audio quality, as usual from cowon

Price range: $211.73 - $214.95

For some reason CNET had no specs, which made me angry and I had to go check the cowon website, which is korean and confusing as usual.

SD Memory expansion slot: you can have extra memory beyond 16GB

Screen: 2.5", 24 bit (16 million) color, 320 x 240, TFT-LCD

Weight: 91 g (3.21 oz)

Rated battery life: 52 hours for music, 10 hours for video <-- See this? XD Cowon always very good at battery life

FM radio

FM recorder

Voice recorder

An easy win for the D2[/hide]

Now there are so many players, it's difficult to compare. But you can see the general pattern here: Sometimes Ipod is better than the competition, sometimes it isn't, but it is ALWAYS more expensive(except maybe in the zunes case... I thought zune was supposed to be better?). :P

Anyway, Im posting this before my computer crashes and kills all my damn work! I'm going to go dig through internet for info on sound comparison between ipods and other brands. More on that later.[/hide]

Thank you for that. I was only comparing iPods to Zunes since that's about all I see people use and Zune basically has the second largest share of the market, though it's not much.

Edit: I'd also like to mention Zunes are nearly indestructable. I'm currently sitting on mine (full weight) and my Zune has smashed into my dashboard at nearly 50mph without being damaged. I'm not familiar with how well iPods stand up to this sort of punishment.