Skills over "fun"?

compfreak847

There have been many, many topics about how people spend too much time training skills to actually have fun, relax, and enjoy the game with friends. I'm here to say that I don't believe in it. For the past month or so I've been doing nothing but 'fun' activities - some Castle Wars, quite a bit of Clan Wars, and a massive amount of Fight Pits. I'm currently working on my 5th fury, I've gotten hundreds of Castle Wars tickets, and if there was a ranking system for Clan Wars Free For All, I'd be quite high right now. My bank account has been doing just fine - between merchenting, MTK, and Battlestaffs I made a steady profit, despite spending millions on runes, food, and potions. I recently met a longterm goal, and purchased a Saradomin Godsword. I have made literally hundreds of friends - Every time I need to add a new one, I have to go through my list and find out who I talk to the least to make room. Up until recently, I loved it - but then I started to get tired. Fight pits was either crazily easy or impossibly hard, depending on if I was up against a team or not. Castle wars games were draning my runes to the tune of hundreds of k's worth of GP per hour, and were starting to get old. Clan Wars was just to easy from the start - if I took my pony and SGS, I could never be killed. Some things were starting to go wrong with my friends - Everyone was demanding my time, money, skills, and godsword. I finally got so fed up with it yesterday that I decided to go grind some skills for a while. I geared up in proslyte and borrowed a whip, then headed for Zombie Monkeys. I didn't train hard or long, paying so little attention that I rarely remembered to pot. 600k or so XP later, I glanced at my level table and was amazed - For the first time in weeks, I had actually accomplished something! It felt good just knowing I actually did something, even if I didn't level yet. It might sound dumb, but a sense of accomplishment in a computer game is worth quite a bit.

So basically, what I'm saying is this - All play and no work makes DeviledEgg a dull boy. I'm not advocating that everyone go out and grind skills to 99, just saying that a balance of fun and training is better then all one way or the other. But you already knew that, right? ;)

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

To be honest I know a lot of what you mean. When I play for a while and my character isn't better for the time spent, I usually feel like I never got the chance to play or that I wasted my time.

However, I also do not wish the game to become a chore. I like enjoying my time. Lately I've devised a plan to raise skills only 1 level at a time (I always choose my lowest level skill. Lately the pattern has been Hunter, Runecrafting, then Construction. Soon they will catch up to smithing, which will be incorporated. Prayer and Firemaking will soon follow.)

I also like accomplishing things that don't even really matter. Like maxing out my Ivandis Flail. I had so much fun killing Vyrewatch I actually might just get my Firemaking/Prayer Levels cremating Shades / Vyrewatch. Temple Trekking is also a great way to have a varied fun time (random things each time) while earning a profit about about 300k an hour, which tbh isn't all that bad. Plus, Lumberjack clothes.

I think the main thing to realize when grinding in RS for the feel of accomplishment is to keep it fresh. Try fishing in different places every now and then. Do a herb farming trip every 2 hours. Don't spend FOREVER doing one activity and instead choose a group of things to handle at once.

I honestly thing that some of the basic things in RS are the most enjoyable. Granted when I want excitement I generally do a slayer task (which is also fun for the reasons above, Variation.) However, a nice skill offers the opportunity to talk to people, hang out in Forsakenmage CC (or whatever CC you enjoy most), and so on.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

That's very true - you've got to vary the routine. For the past year or so, I have been focusing more on combat skills (not that I have been training anything all that much), and helper skills that are useful almost anywhere, like construction. I really haven't raised firemaking, fletching, or slayer, as I don't see much of a need. Slayer is OK in certain times, but I always hate the feeling of killing hundreds of monsters when I know that I could be getting much better combat XP elsewhere. It'll probably be better after I max out.

I must say, though, that there is such a thing as too many friends. I was at a state where I spent all my time running around, loaning my godsword to one friend, going GWD with another, saving a 3rd from pliers in the fight pits, hanging out with a 4th, all while trying to chat with 20 other people. It was just too stressful - I'd find myself turning private chat off just to have some peace and quite, but then running into angry people I knew at the GE in my homeworld. Now I've taken all but some good friends off, and I find it much more enjoyable.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I know what you mean. I have a bad habit of logging in and doing nothing. If I don't have a strict goal, or I'm doing something that I'm not that interested in, I don't get much done. After I've been on for an hour or two, and I realize that I haven't gotten anything done, or made any progress, I feel like I've wasted my time. Ever since starting on My 90 Slayer goal, I've felt pretty accomplished. It's fun that I'm actually doing something productive that I enjoy. I was just at Black Demons, and a 133 tried to take my spot, so I competed with him for about ten minutes. He had full Bandos, a Bandos GS, and an Ice Titan, and I had a whip, defender, overlord, and I was using Chivalry. It gave me a huge rush whenever I'd see him hit a 59, then I'd hit two 39's in a row. I took most of the kills! I attributed this to the fact that I had been raising my combat skills very quickly and efficiently in the past week using Slayer. I definitely felt accomplished.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I fully agree. It's different for each person which is why I hate the "Stop doing what you're doing and play the right way!" threads and articles.

We all have our unique styles of having fun and passing the time and I don't see anything wrong with that. If you like skills, so be it. If you like mini games, so be it. If you like socializing, so be it. If you like collecting burnt lobs, so be it.

To be honest I know a lot of what you mean. When I play for a while and my character isn't better for the time spent, I usually feel like I never got the chance to play or that I wasted my time.

However, I also do not wish the game to become a chore. I like enjoying my time. Lately I've devised a plan to raise skills only 1 level at a time (I always choose my lowest level skill. Lately the pattern has been Hunter, Runecrafting, then Construction. Soon they will catch up to smithing, which will be incorporated. Prayer and Firemaking will soon follow.)

I also like accomplishing things that don't even really matter. Like maxing out my Ivandis Flail. I had so much fun killing Vyrewatch I actually might just get my Firemaking/Prayer Levels cremating Shades / Vyrewatch. Temple Trekking is also a great way to have a varied fun time (random things each time) while earning a profit about about 300k an hour, which tbh isn't all that bad. Plus, Lumberjack clothes.

I think the main thing to realize when grinding in RS for the feel of accomplishment is to keep it fresh. Try fishing in different places every now and then. Do a herb farming trip every 2 hours. Don't spend FOREVER doing one activity and instead choose a group of things to handle at once.

I honestly thing that some of the basic things in RS are the most enjoyable. Granted when I want excitement I generally do a slayer task (which is also fun for the reasons above, Variation.) However, a nice skill offers the opportunity to talk to people, hang out in Forsakenmage CC (or whatever CC you enjoy most), and so on.

i Agreed with you up until the last 2 paragraphs. Yes you must do some fun activites every now and then in choosing a group of thing your exp crashes pretty hard, if u do slayer for 5 tasks then go do 2 cw games you miss out on probably 1hr of slaying, even though each cw game is 20~ mins you also spend time in the bank "lolligagging" i beleive if you want something done you should go HARD on it for couple weeks then take a lil break(day or two) or just handle 2 things at once but on the same skill (Ex. If i wanted to achieve 91 rc you could harsh rc until you can't take it for another hr then go and get tablets for a couple hours, helps you in your goal but is away from what you were doing and somewhat fun. Another ex. is like bandits during weekdays and slay on weekends.

Let your yellow mellow.

I don't know about you guys but, all I've been doing is slayer, farming bits, clues with fail luck, but to when I'm burnt out keep a lout for tipper and sniping them, or join a TeT event.

And again, for my policy, I don't enjoy wasting time like standing around and talking, even if its tempting, I'm more of a businessman, when I'm all maxed out then I can retire and mess around like those fellas in cw with maxed cb, just iching for an un nessary achievement.

Hmm... I'm mixed on this.

If I ever get bored of "grinding" on skill in Runescape, I log off. I go run 5 miles, play SSBM, study my japanese, or the like. Seriously, the sence of accomplishment is quite silly if you put it in that way, but... every Runescaper knows it's not.

I mean really. Who doesn't like training skill in Runescape? Although I do agree that a good amount of variety is good. I'm training Woodcut, firemaking, fletching, and farming. I do it all in Oog'lag, lol. So I'm barely becoming inefficient there...

I'm not saying that you should be all grind in Runescape, and have fun somewhere else. Why can't they be intergrated (sp)? I'm cutting Euc's which isn't quite as efficient as, say, Teaks, but isn't it farm more enjoyable? What I'm saying is, balance efficiency and enjoyment out. But, if possible, I try to avoid idling in a bank as much as I can. If I ever find myself in that state, I just log off....

This was a mixed post, lol. Sorry if I am confusing, my opinions are jumbled up... :?

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

hmm... skills over fun...

the way I have fun irs is usually by training something in a different way. like yesterday, I had a kalphite task, so I got a couple of mates and went kq for a couple of trips.

or when I started making junk, and I immediately thought of maple longs... and then maples made me think of mtk.

yesterday I reached 10k maples fletched from mtk :) hehe

oh and agreed with the variety factor... well it is the 'spice of life'.

oh and btw I LOVE your sig inuasha :D takes me back

this-is-why-im-hot-super-mario-bros-fire-flower-funny-video-game-t-shirt-snorgtees.gif

GT: JRD is AvT

YT: hatethegamer

Youtube has nothing on it atm, but getting HD PVR within a month, so watch this space.

I think your view is highly deluded.

Your basically saying nobody can find skills fun as they are training and that only cwars clanwars etc are truly fun. I agree with sentiments of the post but the view express is just deluded. The pure and simple fact is runescape is filled with many diverse players and not everyone finds the same features fun. Some like mini-games, some like pking, some like merchanting, some like training. It is vital to keep balance to your game otherwise you become distorted eg the sterotype arrogant pker but you can't simply dictate what is fun based on your views as the universe does not revolve around you and your outlook.

I personally have a lot of fun in-game by power training my skills and therefore spend the majority of my time doing it when i'm not at clan events. Now I am aware not everyone finds skills fun but that is my personal game.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Interesting thoughts!!

Actually I am completely different to the original poster. I am free to play but never pked or did BH or clan wars. I detest FOG and The Orb Project. So I skill all the time. I do vary my methods (I am always being asked how I got 99 mining for example and I can only say that I did every method in every place). I also like to go up only one or two levels at a time which is why I now have all skills in the 90s apart from prayer and crafting. However I am now wondering whether I am enjoying this as much as I could and maybe I should go to Clan wars or Bounty Hunter to learn how to play this side of the game.

Fun is what you have fun doing, not a minigame like castle wars or clan wars. Oh if you want people to stop asking you for your godsword do to things:

A) Adopt a no-lend policy and insist everyone who wants it is a poor noob

B) Stop carrying it around.

Four months ago I would have said "Pssh no way this could happen". But after gettingh over 1200 Castle Wars tickets these past summer months with a 8-10 win ratio the entire time I have to agree. Games were either too easy and did nothing but flag hold the entire time or too hard where your trying the entire time which were fun when our team had a chance. I'd have to say out of those 1200 tickets I had ~10 extremely fantastic games and about 100 good ones. But alot were just hey I barrage-dds a noob for our flag get it sit in karils/armadyl all game and my friend scores extremely boring tbh. I eventually got bored and after 2400 total tickets went back to slayer. Which I'm glad because it is fun with my new SGS. ::' ;)

Fun in moderation is ok I guess don't try to burn it out though.

I used over 50M on barrage runes if your wondering. 94-96 barraged at Castle Wars not to mention pot barrages before94 and the blitzing/bursting for 70-86.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

i Agreed with you up until the last 2 paragraphs. Yes you must do some fun activites every now and then in choosing a group of thing your exp crashes pretty hard, if u do slayer for 5 tasks then go do 2 cw games you miss out on probably 1hr of slaying, even though each cw game is 20~ mins you also spend time in the bank "lolligagging" i beleive if you want something done you should go HARD on it for couple weeks then take a lil break(day or two) or just handle 2 things at once but on the same skill (Ex. If i wanted to achieve 91 rc you could harsh rc until you can't take it for another hr then go and get tablets for a couple hours, helps you in your goal but is away from what you were doing and somewhat fun. Another ex. is like bandits during weekdays and slay on weekends.

I'm aware that switching around is very inefficient, but I can't bring myself to play this game and not enjoy it. I don't want anything that bad to hate it. Ever since I got 99 fishing/cooking I vowed to myself I'd never torture myself for a level anymore (unless perhaps a lower one for a quest.)

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

I think your view is highly deluded.

Your basically saying nobody can find skills fun as they are training and that only cwars clanwars etc are truly fun. I agree with sentiments of the post but the view express is just deluded. The pure and simple fact is runescape is filled with many diverse players and not everyone finds the same features fun. Some like mini-games, some like pking, some like merchanting, some like training. It is vital to keep balance to your game otherwise you become distorted eg the sterotype arrogant pker but you can't simply dictate what is fun based on your views as the universe does not revolve around you and your outlook.

I personally have a lot of fun in-game by power training my skills and therefore spend the majority of my time doing it when i'm not at clan events. Now I am aware not everyone finds skills fun but that is my personal game.

I was referring to what everyone called the typical "fun" in runescape, castle wars, fight pits whatever. I was saying that doing nothing but "fun" things WILL get old, and grinding can actually be fun too. (I look at it this way: The higher level I am, and the more blood barrages and armor I can afford, the better I'm going to do in a game like Castle Wars.) I can't stand the 'laid back' method of skills, though - I have to know that right now I am getting the absolute best XP possible. It's fine if I'm trying to have XP, not fun, but if I'm getting XP it had better be the fastest way. I don't like to mic and match. I do agree about the switching thing - but I've found that it helps to try and set deadlines for yourself (i.e. I'm going to metal drags in 3 minutes, regardless of if my invo and outfit. Sure, sometimes I mess up big time and go there with a defender, but it usually gets the job done faster). So yes, a balance of skills are better, and on the time when miningames are too easy - well, that can be fun, but only once in a long while. Running around 2 hitting level 80's that say 'lemme borrow gs plz' isn't a whole lot of fun...

DeviledEgg24.png

tbh i do whatever i feel like. recently its been a TON of slayer +cb xp training, because i find it fun. However ill sometimes go to cwars or gwd etc if it strikes my fancy :P

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I completely agree with you comp.

Here's what i did when GWD came out (i was newly member and not so high level).

But i got levels very fast ( i like melee, and wanted max stats fast)

1: I decide to get 99 Defence before i wanted to do GWD

2: i did that=went to GWD (had fun)

3: got 99 att+str

And i am keep improving skills to be better in all boss areas. Players who can only have fun doesn't deserve respect.

Example: when your with friends and kill boss: your levels matter. So instead of being selfish and thinking about money, instead don't go on the boss trip and level your stats so next trip you can be a asset to the team/group.

1 or 2 levels in a skill deserves respect

Players who can only have fun doesn't deserve respect.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, people that only play the game for fun should be getting the most respect.

:|

Everybody has different ways of having fun on this game. If you dumped me in a CWars game I'd be displeased, you can't generalise and say that because people don't do the things you find fun they aren't enjoying the game themselves.

. Players who can only have fun doesn't deserve respect.

I don't deserve respect, shove your omnious shoe up my jeans as I cabbage bomb your house, rickroll everyone and have a great laugh.

I need your ever gracious opinion to thrive in this virtual world, for without it I would be nothing like an anonymous person who nobody would care about.

Please kind sir, I will work as you desire, raising my skills to 99 and grinding all the time. Fun is for the weak, Only those who can work in a game deserve the respect of a fellow player. Fun only ruins a game.

See? I just clicked on this steel bar AGAIN while I put my friends chat on off and close any other window in firefox. I will concentrate on this screen while I do the same things over and over until you have found the love in your heart to forgive me and respect me.

This is me having fun with you. I did not get any experience from this, I did not get any advantage over someone. I used my free time to type out this post because I was bored.

FUN in a game is NEEDED.

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

Players who can only have fun doesn't deserve respect.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, people that only play the game for fun should be getting the most respect.

:|

Everybody has different ways of having fun on this game. If you dumped me in a CWars game I'd be displeased, you can't generalise and say that because people don't do the things you find fun they aren't enjoying the game themselves.

Sorry you misunderstood what i meant. Let me rephrase that:

I meant that if you are part of a team or group that does bosses, that you should think a bit about leveling your relevant skills so that you can make the team or group stronger. That is if your stats are low and you want to stay in the group/team.

Example: a lvl 90 player joins a team where the players is 110+. The team gets alot drops, and the lvl 90 gets rich along with other in team. But after 3 weeks, the level 90 is still weak in his/her stats.

That's what i meant lol. That if you are part of a team and have fun with killing boss, that you should show respect to others by progressing in the levels you need at the bosses.

Cause let's look it at like this: every level 110+ has gone through hardwork and leveled their stats: and are still working bit by bit on it. Cause the higher levels the players have the faster boss dies, the more drops, the richer you get.

So its' only decent behaviour to level your levels not fast but slowly so that your stats can become better which leads to boss dieing faster.

But this only goes for boss hunting with teams

. Players who can only have fun doesn't deserve respect.

I don't deserve respect, shove your omnious shoe up my jeans as I cabbage bomb your house, rickroll everyone and have a great laugh.

I need your ever gracious opinion to thrive in this virtual world, for without it I would be nothing like an anonymous person who nobody would care about.

Please kind sir, I will work as you desire, raising my skills to 99 and grinding all the time. Fun is for the weak, Only those who can work in a game deserve the respect of a fellow player. Fun only ruins a game.

See? I just clicked on this steel bar AGAIN while I put my friends chat on off and close any other window in firefox. I will concentrate on this screen while I do the same things over and over until you have found the love in your heart to forgive me and respect me.

This is me having fun with you. I did not get any experience from this, I did not get any advantage over someone. I used my free time to type out this post because I was bored.

FUN in a game is NEEDED.

Is there something wrong with you, why do you take what i say so seriously lol?

Anyhow as i said above in this post: i said things wrong. I like to have fun with friends at many things \'

Is there something wrong with you, why do you take what i say so seriously lol?

Anyhow as i said above in this post: i said things wrong. I like to have fun with friends at many things \'

Nothing wrong with me, except that I take replies serious since if you post something you had time to think about what you wrote.

Anyway, I understand now, and yes. I do agree that if you are the lowest level in something ( GWD bosses/Clan wars) then you should train to make sure the team gets the best of it. Leeching of them is just greedy.

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite