A thirst for challenge

mario_sunny

Yes, I think RS needs some more challenging content. Something that isn't just challenging until someone figures out the inevitable formula for beating it easily. Perhaps the randomly generated team dungeons that was mentioned in that news article so long ago can bring us what we want.

(actually, I think I might go post a suggestion about that right now.. brb)

RBqi.gif

Can be looted to obtain a variable item and reobtain the imp jar. If you are insane, it can instead be exchanged for impling jars from Elnock Inquisitor.

I got an idea.

Maybe, you could have a boss, a bit like the beast, at the end of a long cave. In the cave, there would be every material in abundance. I.E, rune rocks, coal rocks, trees, leather dragons (they would only drop hides). The thing would be, you are not allowed to take any items in with you, there is no bank inside, and you cannot take any items out of the cave.

You would have to make all your own armour, weapons, catch your food, cook it. You would have to rely on your skills, to get your supplies, and then kill the the boss. right now, people just buy gear, and go. If they have no skills, for this boss, then they can't do it. Simple, but very hard.

Who like the idea?

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Honestly I find it sad that most monsters can't maneuver around a rock so it can attack it's target. I know some people swear by using obstacles, but at least the monsters should be able to put up a fair fight.

While I'm all for better ai, but that "just" isn't really correct there!

You know pathfinding is one of the hardest things/most processor heavy things in computer science (and especially gaming): I know for example that RA2 spend 60% of it's processing time on pathfinding, and AoE 1 even upto 80%! Given the most time went into "CAN_PATH" calls: just to check wether or not a unit could go somewhere at some time. But still: this gives you an idea of how much extra processing time RS would require at the server (of course pathfinding/ AI is all calculated at the server side, not at the client side.

Sure 1 boss with AI doesn't really make the servers bad: however it does add up. At the moment if JAGEX would add an extra monster it doesn't really require more processing power: the graphical code is just transmitted/executed at the client side and the other things don't require much time. (most of RS processing time goes into player managing: not into the AI).

The difference between 0 or 1 players logged in would be as much as like 0 or 1000 monsters with their current AI. (These are just educated guesses).

However if one would add real, reacting AI to a boss it would be even more processor heavy than another human player: an intelligent AI player requires often around 10-100 times the amount of processing a normal human player requires!

Sure it can be reduced by instantiating. Which currently already happens: if no one is in a certain area it gets "resetted" to the original settings for large parts, a good example are the godwars dungeon: If no ones there and you enter you will see the vampires always being aggressive. However after some time they turn into being non aggressive against the saradomin monsters. If the last person leaves they are "resetted" again and made aggressive.

All AI could be disabled if no one is near...

However still the main point is: if Runescape would start adding semirealistic AI the question is no longer "when does the game development team finally finishes the new boss", but the question would become: when do we get finally faster computers?

@insanity: then what's the point of owning something? And in effect: what's the point of killing the boss for items? And what makes this hard? - It just requires high levels, but really, is click a rock hard?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I can't wait till someone decides that this monster is impossible to defeat on their own, so teams of 20 go after it and get drops that are split to 4m per person.

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]

I got an idea.

Maybe, you could have a boss, a bit like the beast, at the end of a long cave. In the cave, there would be every material in abundance. I.E, rune rocks, coal rocks, trees, leather dragons (they would only drop hides). The thing would be, you are not allowed to take any items in with you, there is no bank inside, and you cannot take any items out of the cave.

You would have to make all your own armour, weapons, catch your food, cook it. You would have to rely on your skills, to get your supplies, and then kill the the boss. right now, people just buy gear, and go. If they have no skills, for this boss, then they can't do it. Simple, but very hard.

Who like the idea?

Me.

OH S***! He/she/it is back!

I got an idea.

Who like the idea?

Thinking outside the box, I like it. Would be pretty fun to say the least. Alot of gripe about how they didn't have the best level in this or that skill, but oh well.

Ex_Ploit.png

I think Jagex should not only concentrate on the monster itself, but the environment which its located in.

Let's say you fight the Corporal beast in a big nice empty room. The room will always be the same and the same same tactics will work over and over again.

Now lets introduce a new environment. Lets say its in an ancient cavern where an ancient race of goblins had set up dangerous traps around the beast the prevent it from escaping. Not only would you rely on your combat skills, but your agility level as well. Your character would automatically try to avoid a trap if activated and each time you entered the room, the traps would be located in different places; to keep people guessing.

Each time you activated a trap, it would force you to stop attacking. I'm not saying traps, but I'm just using this as an example.

When you can solo this jaw dropping creature, you should have your thirst for challenge quenched for now.

No, that actually is impossible. There's nothing out there that could let you hit often enough on the Beast, and let you heal yourself at the same time.

Guthans.

How often does the healing effect activate? Now, how often will the Corporeal Beast smack you around for damage in excess of 60?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I got an idea.

Who like the idea?

Me.

Me too! Maybe it could be on entraina?

I got an idea.

Who like the idea?

Me.

Love the Idea :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It would be actually be a good challenge compared to what we're seeing right now, (barrows and godswords)

Zaroterasu.png

I got an idea.

Who like the idea?

Me.

It would be actually be a good challenge compared to what we're seeing right now, (barrows and godswords)

Do you think I should post it in suggestions?

I got an idea.

Who like the idea?

Me.

Thats a intresting new concept but you might have to alter a few things. Such as, if you cant take any items with you, how would you keep any drops when you decide to leave? Or perhaps the monster drops nothing but coins, and only coins can be kept when leaving?

dawnsigblue-3.png

I got an idea.

Who like the idea?

That's actually a brilliant idea. Would be nice if it had an untradable reward that actually showed a massive achievement, like fire cape used to.

I imagine it will be soloable at some point. Heres a POSSIBLE idea i thought of.

Ruby bolts. The spec hits 100, so they are a must. ranging, with 99 range obviously. If you run, you can dodge most of the attacks, correct?

So, run around it in circles like you do in the quest, shooting intermittenlty. veng would be very usefull too.

Now im really just speculating here, i have no idea if this would work but it is, i think, a POSSIBILITY for the future..

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

[hide=quote]

I got an idea.

Who like the idea?

Me.

Thats a intresting new concept but you might have to alter a few things. Such as, if you cant take any items with you, how would you keep any drops when you decide to leave? Or perhaps the monster drops nothing but coins, and only coins can be kept when leaving?

[/hide]

Possibly. Maybe, only drops of the monster could be taken out, or the only thing it drops is coins, in a random amount, up to, say 10M or something, and a non tradable drop that gives bonuses when boss hunting or something. Only monster drops and coins could be taken out.

Obviously, there would have to rune essence mines, and runecrafting altars so people can make their runes, but spells like alchemy would have to be restricted.

All in all, after playing this, people might realise getting all their materials could be quite fun after all!

Wow way to ignore an opinion! -.-

Well: if you like doing everything yourself: why are you still playing an MMOrpg? - If you like to do everything on your own and being selfsuffient a normal RPG would do the job won't it?

I like the fact that in runescape you can specilize yourself into 1 thing: and let others do other things for you. With the trade restriction it's a bit removed/limited already (you can't say: hey I give you 1000 nature runes if you fetch full rune for me)...

+having an altar & rune essence mine would greatly upset the balance of runecrafting: it would become very easy to powertrain!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Wow way to ignore an opinion! -.-

Well: if you like doing everything yourself: why are you still playing an MMOrpg? - If you like to do everything on your own and being selfsuffient a normal RPG would do the job won't it?

I like the fact that in runescape you can specilize yourself into 1 thing: and let others do other things for you. With the trade restriction it's a bit removed/limited already (you can't say: hey I give you 1000 nature runes if you fetch full rune for me)...

+having an altar & rune essence mine would greatly upset the balance of runecrafting: it would become very easy to powertrain!

FYI, I don't like doing things all on my own. This is just an idea for one lttle area of the game. People depend on each other a lot in life, just like in runescape. There are also times, where you have to do things yourself, like this would be.

Also, JaGeX would have to address the exp aspect of it. Maybe you could only make a certain number of stackable items? Say, only 300 of any kind of stackable item, or just give reduced exp for them, say, one exp per rune, and make the altar and essence mine at other ends of the cave, so it's not viable to run back and forth, for little exp. Also, mage and range would have to be restricted too.

See, the max hit with a rune scimatar and 99 strength, wearing only armour that you can make, is 21, 26 with a rune 2H. Mage, without any special equipment, you can hit 30s fairly often, with an average of around 20 - 25. Range, well, with a rune crossbow, the max hit is very high, somewhere around 50-something isn't it?

Mage and range would have to be cut back a little, to give all combat types a fair chance.

I got an idea.

Who like the idea?

Add a time limit and we have a winner here. Like 15 minutes in a room full of supplies, you have to enter without armour, empty inventory, etc. You need a group of max 5~ people. So basically, you have 15 minutes to prepare before the boss comes and kicks the crap out of you. Maybe different bosses, like a range/mage/melee boss, and as the time goes on, you are given hints about which boss it'll be. It'd involve high non-combats, combats, and strategy.

I think Jagex should not only concentrate on the monster itself, but the environment which its located in.

Let's say you fight the Corporal beast in a big nice empty room. The room will always be the same and the same same tactics will work over and over again.

Now lets introduce a new environment. Lets say its in an ancient cavern where an ancient race of goblins had set up dangerous traps around the beast the prevent it from escaping. Not only would you rely on your combat skills, but your agility level as well. Your character would automatically try to avoid a trap if activated and each time you entered the room, the traps would be located in different places; to keep people guessing.

Each time you activated a trap, it would force you to stop attacking. I'm not saying traps, but I'm just using this as an example.

Thats another excellent idea.

Maybe a room full of walls, like a maze, and the walls move from time to time, so lets say you have a tanker, 2 guys meleeing the boss, and 5 guys ranging/maging, then the walls move and now your rangers/mages have a nice wall in front of them and the meleers are getting owned, so the rangers/mages have to find a way to get in range with the beast again quickly. You could add restrictions, like the boss is using protect from melee all the time, and doing high damage to all opponents nearby, so you HAVE to range it. Or the boss attacks push you away from him, and he uses protect from range and has high magic defence, so you have to get in melee range to kill him.

InsanityV2 and Promise have a point: its not always about the boss himself, but the enviroment.

Kirtash101.png

Yeah, suggesting that people with a dangerous predisposition towards addiction replace Runescape with drinking is a great idea.