Slayer Sucks

compfreak847

blink-287

After reading your opening post and last page's posts (not gonna read all 190 replys...) and getting some good arguments on both counts, I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion.

People saying, train combat through slayer BECAUSE it's faster are clearly wrong, though if saying train combat through slayer because it helps you train another skill, gives you a break from afk-training (some might even argue that afk-training is boring... :shock: who knows!) and diversifies training give some good point. If your aim is to max out every skill, then training combat through another means than slayer is pretty dumb (we're talking maxing out combat, then maxing it out again for 99 slayer... not very efficient or should I say...tempting).

It all boils down to your definition of fun also... I like slayer, 900k xp to go for 99 slayer. I don't like combat training outside slayer because the pace I kill monster without slayer helmet is a pain...in my opinion and a total waste of my time since I maxed out melee and ranged already and have a bank value of around 300mil, so I don't care much for money at this point.

I really appreciated your analysis with numbers and strong arguments. It's not enough to make me train combat outside slayer (melee combat maxed out anyway), but I'm certainly glad to know there are bright RSers out there to crunch out the numbers on a variety of topics to keep us all on the cutting edge of training.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's definately true. I am 98 Slayer and I have almost double the experience in all melee and health skills. So ultimately...maxing out combat before doing Slayer is pointless, because you have to max combat out all over again.

If gaining the fastest possible xp is your thing, then you are correct in stating that slayer is not for you. If however you are interested in battling monsters you have never come up against before, adding many levels to your totoal skill level, and having the chance at getting an abby whip through a monster drop - then slayer is right up you alley.

Each to their own, and obviously xp rates are very important to you - so be it.

How long is that going to last though, whenever I go to Duradel all I ever get are metals, fire giants, hellhounds, greaters, Kalphites, black dragons.

And even if I break out of that loop eventually I am going to go through all the monsters in the task list.

And the abby whip drop is overrated you can get much more using other money making methods

If gaining the fastest possible xp is your thing, then you are correct in stating that slayer is not for you. If however you are interested in battling monsters you have never come up against before, adding many levels to your totoal skill level, and having the chance at getting an abby whip through a monster drop - then slayer is right up you alley.

How long is that going to last though, whenever I go to Duradel all I ever get are metals, fire giants, hellhounds, greaters, Kalphites, black dragons.

And even if I break out of that loop eventually I am going to go through all the monsters in the task list.

And the abby whip drop is overrated you can get much more using other money making methods

This basically goes back to your final goal in RS...money, "xp and lvls" or fun...

choose, 2 out of 3... The thing is, lots of money making methods give no xp whatsoever... gathering 2nds... tanning hides... you name it... It all boils down to a matter of opinion.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

This basically goes back to your final goal in RS...money, "xp and lvls" or fun...

choose, 2 out of 3... The thing is, lots of money making methods give no xp whatsoever... gathering 2nds... tanning hides... you name it... It all boils down to a matter of opinion.

But lots of them do give exp, and they give alot more money and exp than slayer could. And it's not just that I want better exp, I want the variety that Slayer isn't giving me. I get the same tasks listed above over and over again, so why train slayer when I can be going to 100's of other places to train that have exp and money.

Bogwaga.gif

bogwaga.png

Notable Drops:

5 X Dragon Axe.......1 X D Skirt...............1 X Bandos Platebody

3 X Zerker Ring.......1 X Bandos Hilt

4 X Warrior Ring......1 X Bandos Tassets

Put the letters two, eight, and seven in the first three digits of your reply to prove you actually read what I typed.

? I don't get what you mean. Numbers? or Worded?

ANYWAY

So what do you suggest Jagex to do? There's always bad things that people can say about slayer when they're trying to train from level 1 to 85

Slow exp... high cost... dangerous... useless skill...

But from what I've heard from moneymaking guides on the runescape forums.. ONCE you hit level 85, abyssal demons will provide the second best amount of cash/hour below merchanting. And maybe runecrafting. --wait scratch that, runecrafting at level 92. You only need slayer at level 85.

But when you think about it, all that time taken and money spent into getting level 85 slayer will get you rewarded with 600k per hour. (Abyssal whip drops once every ~400 kills?)

With every good money maker, you need to invest some time and energy, and maybe sacrifice some exp into getting it in the first place.

But I'm a level 3. Free to play. And maybe what I'm saying is all wrong. But it's from my point of view :P

Fae_Rasachi.png

oh, sigs can update by themselves now? ^.^

Put the letters two, eight, and seven in the first three digits of your reply to prove you actually read what I typed.

ANYWAY

So what do you suggest Jagex to do? There's always bad things that people can say about slayer when they're trying to train from level 1 to 85

But from what I've heard from moneymaking guides on the runescape forums.. ONCE you hit level 85, abyssal demons will provide the second best amount of cash/hour below merchanting. And maybe runecrafting. --wait scratch that, runecrafting at level 92. You only need slayer at level 85.

But when you think about it, all that time taken and money spent into getting level 85 slayer will get you rewarded with 600k per hour. (Abyssal whip drops once every ~400 kills?)

With every good money maker, you need to invest some time and energy, and maybe sacrifice some exp into getting it in the first place.

But I'm a level 3. Free to play. And maybe what I'm saying is all wrong. But it's from my point of view :P

I'm sorry, but your rather misinformed. Abyssal demons are, at best, 500k or so per hour. There are innumerable ways to get more then that, like avansies or GWD. They are a decent task, as slayer goes, but no good outside of it. So really, there's no reason to ever use slayer besides 55 for slayer dart.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

ANYWAY

I'm sorry, but your rather misinformed. Abyssal demons are, at best, 500k or so per hour. There are innumerable ways to get more then that, like avansies or GWD. They are a decent task, as slayer goes, but no good outside of it. So really, there's no reason to ever use slayer besides 55 for slayer dart.

Besides from wanting additionnal levels and fighting abberant specters at 60 slayer for the best herb and herb seed dropper in the game and training a skill that's available for all to use.

langerkiller.png

A lot of slayer monsters offer great profit. For example from my average nechrael task (150) I can make up 300k. Same with gargoyles, with the price of g mauls at the moment.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

A lot of slayer monsters offer great profit. For example from my average nechrael task (150) I can make up 300k. Same with gargoyles, with the price of g mauls at the moment.

That's true... but the main point of Compfreak is that you can get more money and exp killing something else...He's not saying slayer is not profitable... just saying it's not the most efficient way to level combat. Off topic, I'd say he's just too lazy to return to shilo every hour! :o

langerkiller.png

You're absolutely right. Slayer is one of the worst ways to train.

But you forgot one thing, Slayer is a skill on its own. People want to train skills, and they'll have to get to Slayer at some point.

Hence why people suggest training combat through slayer. It's a 2 birds one stone kind of deal. I kind of get what's the crux of your rant and also why you are passionate about it. If a player asks you advice for training combat and, bear with me on this one, the majority of players in RS want to get their skills leveled (assumption here), would you suggest to train combat (meaning melee, ranging, magic, prayer and summoning maxing out) in the most efficient way possible then leveling slayer? Or going the most logical but innefficient way combat-wise and suggest to just slay and gain combat through slayer?

langerkiller.png

ANYWAY

Besides from wanting additionnal levels and fighting abberant specters at 60 slayer for the best herb and herb seed dropper in the game and training a skill that's available for all to use.

What's so great about aberrant specters? There isn't a single reason to fight them outside of slayer, as with virtually EVER task.

That's true... but the main point of Compfreak is that you can get more money and exp killing something else...He's not saying slayer is not profitable... just saying it's not the most efficient way to level combat. Off topic, I'd say he's just too lazy to return to shilo every hour! :o

83 slayer and rising.

Hence why people suggest training combat through slayer. It's a 2 birds one stone kind of deal. I kind of get what's the crux of your rant and also why you are passionate about it. If a player asks you advice for training combat and, bear with me on this one, the majority of players in RS want to get their skills leveled (assumption here), would you suggest to train combat (meaning melee, ranging, magic, prayer and summoning maxing out) in the most efficient way possible then leveling slayer? Or going the most logical but innefficient way combat-wise and suggest to just slay and gain combat through slayer?

Not really - there's so many other skills that could be leveled far faster then slayer for total levels. Unless they plan on maxing out everything, there isn't any reason to.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

What's so great about aberrant specters? There isn't a single reason to fight them outside of slayer, as with virtually EVER task.

They are the best herb/herb seed dropper in the game. And by the way, I don't fight outside of slayer anymore. It doesn't provide any fun and that's mainly why I play this game for: fun.

83 slayer and rising.

Yeah, slayer must suck a whole bunch eh?

Not really - there's so many other skills that could be leveled far faster then slayer for total levels. Unless they plan on maxing out everything, there isn't any reason to

At some point, even the fastest skill will take hours to level at high levels, so low level slayer is faster to level than 98-99 cooking.

langerkiller.png

They are the best herb/herb seed dropper in the game. And by the way, I don't fight outside of slayer anymore. It doesn't provide any fun and that's mainly why I play this game for: fun.

*ahem*. Do they beat avansies, GWD, or any of the hundreds of other places to earn money? If not, you can use that 1m+ an hour to buy more herbs then you will ever get at specters. If you enjoy killing the same 20 monsters over and over again for fun, that's your choice, not mine - but your wasting massive amounts of time and money doing it.

Yeah, slayer must suck a whole bunch eh?

Congratz, you completely missed my point. I'm saying that yes, I enjoy it, but it does suck for XP and money. I'm simply stating that to show that I am, if anything, biased for slayer, as people tend to try and bring personal opinions in a factual debate. =D>

At some point, even the fastest skill will take hours to level at high levels, so low level slayer is faster to level than 98-99 cooking.

Yep, if you've maxed out virtually every skill besides runecrafting and herblore, you might find it worth it to train slayer. But for the rest of us who aren't there yet, a level of 80 or so would be much harder then other levels we could raise, if we're that concerned about total levels. Personally I could care less, as people never even look at totals and there is no other reason to train slayer.

Whatever you say bro. Less crowded spots for me. =D

Right back at ya, I won't expect you at zombie monkies any time soon :lol:

Then again, I'm currently camping at spirit mages. Meh.

DeviledEgg24.png

aviansie cash rates are super exaggerated. did you seriously just say 1m+ per hour? I get 200k per hour and 20 range levels won't raise it that much.

Nope, I didn't. I said, as usual, 400k per hour. Try 96 range + throwing rings + void + 10% range + unicorn before you knock it. Heck, I've gotten 636k an hour there, but that's pushing it on an empty world.

DeviledEgg24.png

*ahem*. Do they beat avansies, GWD, or any of the hundreds of other places to earn money? If not, you can use that 1m+ an hour to buy more herbs then you will ever get at specters. If you enjoy killing the same 20 monsters over and over again for fun, that's your choice, not mine - but your wasting massive amounts of time and money doing it.

Well, like I said previously, at the moment, i'm maxed out melee and have enough money to buy some 99s (I have 115 mil cash and a bank worth around 300 mil). So camping some monster to gather more cash than I need is pointless in my case.

Congratz, you completely missed my point. I'm saying that yes, I enjoy it, but it does suck for XP and money. I'm simply stating that to show that I am, if anything, biased for slayer, as people tend to try and bring personal opinions in a factual debate.

If you read a couple post back what I wrote, you will wee that I summarized for another poster your rant on slayer and said it was legitimate. I didn't miss your point, just wondering why you rant on people getting their slayer level higher than 55 while you have 83 and camp at spirit mage... get back to zombies, you're not efficient at the moment :roll:

Yep, if you've maxed out virtually every skill besides runecrafting and herblore, you might find it worth it to train slayer. But for the rest of us who aren't there yet, a level of 80 or so would be much harder then other levels we could raise, if we're that concerned about total levels. Personally I could care less, as people never even look at totals and there is no other reason to train slayer.

Well then it's just a matter of opinions... you either want to raise your overall levels or you just want combat levels and lots of GPs. If you're stating that overall skills total is not important for you and thus should be ignored, you're generalising on your personnal experience and not accounting for the fact a great deal of players want to raise their overall levels.

langerkiller.png

I just love slayer because it gives you these small goals, with a lot of variety (as in equipment, monsters, drops, locations :P)

I'm always exited to know what task I will get next.

And before slayer I was not really a combat person, I can't keep focused on RS that much;

and thus not dedicate my full time to power levelling combat stats (or any other stat lately) like you do.

But before I took kind of a break I must say I've gained a lot of combat exp thanks to slayer, which I otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

[but magic and ranged still are low because I can't really give them a place in slayer]

But I can't prove you wrong because as you state everything is personal ;o

----------------

Now playing: Elvenking - Poison Tears

via FoxyTunes

PieterV3-1.png

But I can't prove you wrong because as you state everything is personal ;o

you can't prove his rant is wrong. The facts are clear that slayer is not the best way to raise combat and gain GPs.

What he can't account for with the facts are opinions and preferences of players such as yourself liking the skill , and he seems to ignore that a lot in his numerous statements such as this one :

So really, there's no reason to ever use slayer besides 55 for slayer dart.

Yes I can train slayer because I like the skill. No stats or facts can take that into account.

langerkiller.png

Well, like I said previously, at the moment, i'm maxed out melee and have enough money to buy some 99s (I have 115 mil cash and a bank worth around 300 mil). So camping some monster to gather more cash than I need is pointless in my case.

Good. Now you can camp a monster to get far more XP then you ever will from slayer.

If you read a couple post back what I wrote, you will wee that I summarized for another poster your rant on slayer and said it was legitimate. I didn't miss your point, just wondering why you rant on people getting their slayer level higher than 55 while you have 83 and camp at spirit mage... get back to zombies, you're not efficient at the moment :roll:

What he can't account for with the facts are opinions and preferences of players such as yourself liking the skill , and he seems to ignore that a lot in his numerous statements such as this one :

Yes I can train slayer because I like the skill. No stats or facts can take that into account.

Well then it's just a matter of opinions... you either want to raise your overall levels or you just want combat levels and lots of GPs. If you're stating that overall skills total is not important for you and thus should be ignored, you're generalising on your personnal experience and not accounting for the fact a great deal of players want to raise their overall levels.

Do yourself a favor - read my original post and replys before you go on a tirade about how I completely ignore things. I have, literally hundreds of times, stated that the only reason to train slayer is for personal enjoyment - but that you are wasting MASSIVE amounts of time and money doing that. I thought 200 odd times would be enough to get my point across; perhaps I should have put it in my signature.

you either want to raise your overall levels or you just want combat levels and lots of GPs. If you're stating that overall skills total is not important for you and thus should be ignored, you're generalising on your personnal experience and not accounting for the fact a great deal of players want to raise their overall levels.

Amazing how I've already covered this (many times), isn't it? The average player could get a middling slayer level and have half a dozen skills they could raise for much easier total levels, making your argument completely invalid for all but a very few high level players who have no other skills to raise besides slayer.

DeviledEgg24.png

Wow, this will be my last post on this thread as you clearly are doing some selective reading. I read your original post, read the last 5 pages, please don't ask me to read all the 20 pages, I have wasted too much time already trying to argue with you.

Good. Now you can camp a monster to get far more XP then you ever will from slayer.

I'm maxed out in melee, why would I want to get more XP? Do you read all the words written or do you have some sort of disability?

Do yourself a favor - read my original post and replys before you go on a tirade about how I completely ignore things. I have, literally hundreds of times, stated that the only reason to train slayer is for personal enjoyment - but that you are wasting MASSIVE amounts of time and money doing that. I thought 200 odd times would be enough to get my point across; perhaps I should have put it in my signature.

With this logic, all skills except melee and ranged should not be trained as you COULD be making more cash and xp doind armored zombies or aviansies...

Amazing how I've already covered this (many times), isn't it? The average player could get a middling slayer level and have half a dozen skills they could raise for much easier total levels, making your argument completely invalid for all but a very few high level players who have no other skills to raise besides slayer.

Well I guess I'm biased because I'm a high level players and find it easier to level slayer from 97 to 98 than hunter from 62 to 63. This is overstretching it a bit, but as I stated on this thread or another... hunter gives me headaches and that's not what I call playing.

Just another question... when do you stop training? Where's the point when you can say : okay I have 100 mil xp HP and 1,5 BIl in GP, now I can waste my time on slayer or some other non profitable skill? Ohhh and when I have 1,5 BIL GP, is it justified to waste it on cannon balls now?

Have fun trying to find people to "argue" with you as you are clearly not capable of admitting the rightness of the point of view of other people. I'm gonna go waste my life on my next slayer task whatever invalidity my opinions are.

langerkiller.png

I'm maxed out in melee, why would I want to get more XP? Do you read all the words written or do you have some sort of disability?

I'm a slight dyslexic, but not enough to affect reading or writing skills. It crops up from time to time when I'm doing difficult math, but it's rare enough not to bother me. Thanks for caring, though. I find it interesting how your arguing about combat training and money earning, then when proven wrong suddenly switching to 'well im maxed out stats and bank so all ur methods suck'.

Wow, this will be my last post on this thread as you clearly are doing some selective reading. I read your original post, read the last 5 pages, please don't ask me to read all the 20 pages, I have wasted too much time already trying to argue with you.

I have nothing more to say.

With this logic, all skills except melee and ranged should not be trained as you COULD be making more cash and xp doind armored zombies or aviansies...

Nope, most skills offer much better total levels then slayer. Plus fun, as I've mentioned before. Fun and earning cash\XP are two entirely separate arguments.

Well I guess I'm biased because I'm a high level players and find it easier to level slayer from 97 to 98 than hunter from 62 to 63. This is overstretching it a bit, but as I stated on this thread or another... hunter gives me headaches and that's not what I call playing.

I find it hard to believe you can get that slow of hunter XP, headache and all, but I'll assume you were talking from an enjoyment point - a separate, and entirely unarguable, point. So yes, if you enjoy training slayer it's worth training. You can stop beating this point to death; I've done it already for you.

Just another question... when do you stop training? Where's the point when you can say : okay I have 100 mil xp HP and 1,5 BIl in GP, now I can waste my time on slayer or some other non profitable skill? Ohhh and when I have 1,5 BIL GP, is it justified to waste it on cannon balls now?

From an XP standpoint, I stop at 99. From a personal standpoint, I stop and do something else when I get bored. Hope that addresses your concerns.

Have fun trying to find people to "argue" with you as you are clearly not capable of admitting the rightness of the point of view of other people. I'm gonna go waste my life on my next slayer task whatever invalidity my opinions are.

Learn to separate facts from opinions. I can sum up my post nicely:

Slayer is bad XP and cash; it is only worth training if you enjoy it.

Let me know which part of your post I refuse to recognize.

DeviledEgg24.png

well I guess i'll post back to clear things up. This is kind of getting fun.

I'm a slight dyslexic, but not enough to affect reading or writing skills. It crops up from time to time when I'm doing difficult math, but it's rare enough not to bother me. Thanks for caring, though. I find it interesting how your arguing about combat training and money earning, then when proven wrong suddenly switching to 'well im maxed out stats and bank so all ur methods suck'.

I mentionned at least 2 times before that post that I was maxed out. I never said your methods suck, ever... I even summed up your rant to a fellow poster saying you were right in saying slayer is bad combat xp and money.

Nope, most skills offer much better total levels then slayer. Plus fun, as I've mentioned before. Fun and earning cash\XP are two entirely separate arguments.

All right, then using a cannon is ok because it's fun, not because this argument is killed like you said in the cannon thread by Robert. If it's two seperate arguments, then your rant on my post in his thread was way out there.

I find it hard to believe you can get that slow of hunter XP, headache and all, but I'll assume you were talking from an enjoyment point - a separate, and entirely unarguable, point. So yes, if you enjoy training slayer it's worth training. You can stop beating this point to death; I've done it already for you.

Just a want to emphasize on the word easier. I really get headaches when doing hunter with all the camera rotations, I know it's weird but eh that's life. I was really talking from an enjoyment poit of view, which I know is not the main point of your rant.

Learn to separate facts from opinions. I can sum up my post nicely:

Slayer is bad XP and cash; it is only worth training if you enjoy it.

Let me know which part of your post I refuse to recognize.

I agree with that, but it's from a money maker point of view, not for someone who wants to raise their skills. By that i mean, having a balanced character and so on. I just can't picture someone maxig out all the skills before coming around to slayer, that's just plain...weird.

langerkiller.png