Runescape being of use in real life.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Runescape has helped me become closer with about 10 of my friends

All of them used to play Runescape. Now I'm the only one but I'm still very good friends with all of them. Also now I know more random facts. THere always good to know!! :thumbsup:

Battlerifel.png

Battlerifel.png

My Blog: http://forum.tip.it/...el#entry3250508

My Forum entry: QFC - 48-49-627-63687284

Last friday we had a English test in the class. It counted for my schoolexam. We had a text and we had to translate 27 english words.

Today we had ours (marks? Numbers?) I had a 7.2 ( Scale 1-10). There we 3 people who scored above the 5.5. ( Under the 5.5 is not good)

Most of the words i had to translate were words wich are used in Runescape :D

You mean mark. ;)

What country are you from?

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Last friday we had a English test in the class. It counted for my schoolexam. We had a text and we had to translate 27 english words.

Today we had ours (marks? Numbers?) I had a 7.2 ( Scale 1-10). There we 3 people who scored above the 5.5. ( Under the 5.5 is not good)

Most of the words i had to translate were words wich are used in Runescape :D

Lol, well you can get that from any website on the internet, since internet is very anglophone. I'm french and learned a lot of words from reading internet, but that has nothing to do with Runescape. Read anything in english for a long time, and you will improve.

2480+ total

We're not talking about Runescape having advantages over any other form of learning.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

alot of times in classes, and i aced my english epic fantasy essay, but i have to becareful what i say because in my school, runescape is deemed "gay", "nerdy" "for ******** only" etc :( :? :shock: :|

Same here but the funny thing is when they talk about World of Warcraft its ok is that not a game or what?? it just bugs the hell outta. -.-

Uh well, people who play WOW and runescape get made fun of but people sit at home on their XBOX360's and play halo for 17 hours straight and their not made fun of. WHAT THE [bleep]. That is so [developmentally delayed]ed.

Ponder00.png

twssmas.gif

I think the most important "skill" I learned from Runescape is investing. I'm not talking about investing in the GE or in items, but rather investment in the future of my character. I learned that I had to spend money to make money. For example, I want 99 range. I could train for 180 hours for almost no money, or spend 50 hours but spend 50 million. I learned to weigh the benefits, in 130 hours I could probably make more than 50 million if I had 99 range at Saradomin God War. Basically cost and benefits.

Some other things I have learned:

Various weapon words: Halberd, flail, Hasta,

Methods of fishing: which fishing technique is used with what species of fish

Construction materials: Limestone, marble (I knew, but didn't really think about)

Different techniques of hunting: Box, trap, track

Farming

Gem names and coloring: Sapphire being blue, topaz are yellow, etc.

Difference in ranged bows, compound vs. long vs. cross

Tanning being required for leather

How to make bow string

What glass is and how to make it

Cooking

Knowledge of metals, what makes them, which are stronger

Run energy regenerates a lot slower in real life, mining is a lot more dangerous than what the games depicts it, and that you can't pray from melee in real life and not get hit by a wandering frisbee.

have fun :)

Well, it helps me alot in mental calculations, or for example, something the pre-thinking. I mean your face with a problem, then you calculate the pros and cons, then you come to a conclusion in a short time. This helps alot in group projects and time management :mrgreen:

Well I'd have to say it's helped me in RL in many ways. One when I'm at Sears and the ovens say Range instead of oven, I know what they're talking about. The armours are below mith are pretty accurate, which has helped me out.

I got a question right back 2 years ago, about what makes Bronze, I knew the info., but it probably wouldn't come right off the top of my head. Now it's like ingrained into my memory.

It has taught me a lot about the economy, as far as supply and demand is concerned(Pre-G.E)

Taught me the different type of trees as far as what's a better type of wood. Usually I just guess in RL based off rs and I usually get it right =)

One bad thing though is that it gets me saying things like omg in RL and then saying Lol about it...(I remember the day it happened.)

Bregowine.png

It helped me realise the bunch of bullcabbage that is Fletching.

- Bowstrings are made from several thin threads woven together into strings, who are woven together into a string. Also, you need special equipment to make them. Maybe this was different when they were made approximage 500 years ago, but it's obsolete now.

- Compound bows are shorter bows with pullies on them, being able to fire an arrow faster than an normal bow due to the increased strength.

- You need long straight logs (or short trees) to make bows, not the short logs you chop with woodcutting.

- You can't string a bow with one hand. You just can't. You need to use either a special rope or your feet, with the latter might result in a loss of eyeballs.

I know, it's rather petty, but true.

Valten_1.png

Well, that was impressive knowledge. I actually remember talking about like really big heat and stuff and somehow got into smelting stuff, and she asked how to make steel, and im like "come on! this wont be a good test question unless its how to make mith lol. Ive also come very close to saying omg IRL and ive said lol(but no one that would care was around :-w )

Paragon.png

It helped me realise the bunch of bullcabbage that is Fletching.

- Bowstrings are made from several thin threads woven together into strings, who are woven together into a string. Also, you need special equipment to make them. Maybe this was different when they were made approximage 500 years ago, but it's obsolete now.

- Compound bows are shorter bows with pullies on them, being able to fire an arrow faster than an normal bow due to the increased strength.

- You need long straight logs (or short trees) to make bows, not the short logs you chop with woodcutting.

- You can't string a bow with one hand. You just can't. You need to use either a special rope or your feet, with the latter might result in a loss of eyeballs.

I know, it's rather petty, but true.

+1 especially for using a crossbow

u need to put it down place ur foot in the hole then pull up on 150+lb draws...

1100 total achieved 03/02/09 880thousandth to reach it :P

1200 total achieved 29/09/11 1.23millionth to reach it :P

awesome_600.png

Gary121091 wrote:

sailor89 wrote:

alot of times in classes, and i aced my english epic fantasy essay, but i have to becareful what i say because in my school, runescape is deemed "gay", "nerdy" "for ******** only" etc :( :? :shock: :|

Same here but the funny thing is when they talk about World of Warcraft its ok is that not a game or what?? it just bugs the hell outta. -.-

Uh well, people who play WOW and runescape get made fun of but people sit at home on their XBOX360's and play halo for 17 hours straight and their not made fun of. WHAT THE [bleep]. That is so [developmentally delayed].

I feel all of your pain, I can not even discuss runescape at my school. Since i'm considered a part of the "cool" kids it would thrash my rep with them and make me look like an even bigger geek (if me just getting straight A's hasn't done some damage yet.) Also I agree with the whole Xbox360 thing.. Its the same thing.. I would put money on the fact someone who played halo 3 for 10 hrs on his xbox would cal someone who played halo 3 8 hrs on their computer a nerd.

Sicus Locum Para Bellum!

Well, it helped my typing for the most part.

Above all, it gave me 2 new hobbies though, the second hobby came later. (playing this game as one of them, obviously, and the second? Knife making.)

I'm quiet sure that people wants to know how this game made me develop such a interest in making hand made knives so I'll tell. Well, I was training smithing one day, the ringing sounds of the anvil on the game suddenly gave me the idea to research blacksmithing and bladesmithing in real life. I found an entire community of people, from hobbyist blacksmith/bladesmiths through people that makes a living from it. Then I found out about a method of making knives referred to as stock removal, which caught my attention. (since it combines both my machining and art interests.) So, thats what I decided to do, I've been researching, working and growing ever since :D

I have plans on trying to make a replica of a Godsword one day, but I have much more skill to develop first and I'll have to ask Jagex.

Well, there's the obvious ones, like faster typing, doing simple calculations in my head, and observing prices of items and predicting what they'll do, but there are still others

Time zones: before RS, I had no idea about time zones, I assumed it was the same time of day for everyone in the world (granted, I was 12, but oh well). Along with that is knowing where countries are, and not caring about where they're from, but on how they act.

Typing/grammar: Playing RS has helped me to always adopt a tone of voice I need to do an essay, and I can usually spot when something isn't worded the way it should be.

Independant research: If something on Runescape sparks my interest, I'll look it up, gaining random tidbits of information, but also knowing where to look and how to go about doing it.

Realistic: Basically, hiscores. After playing for a while, you become pretty aware of how many people are well known or at the top of the game. It may sound pessimistic, but it's taught me that it's nearly impossible to become a world famous athlete, become president, or win something huge like that; It's okay to do lower jobs and be happy with them. On the other hand, if you work hard, it is possible to succeed.

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

ok, here are some real life examples:

copper+ tin= bronze

glass= soda ash (cooked seaweed) and sand

leather is from dead cows

milk comes from dairy cows

scarecrows are used to keep crows away from cornfields (thats probably a myth anyways)

ghosts won't pass on to the next world if they still need to do something in this world (also, the proof of ghosts existing is debatable)

archeologists digging up artifacts from the past to help explain human history (Varrock Museum, Dig Site)

nasturtiums protect watermelons from disease

The Grand Exchange acting like the commodities market in the Stock Exchange

pathfinding (finding the quickest route to your destination)

spinning flax into bowstrings

making compost from weeds or rotting fruit

I'm sure there are more, these are just the ones I can think of right now...

kwarlord.png

"Hey, I can't help it if I was born this cool." Adell, Disgaea 2

1) I Got an answer right in a history test for explaining what sort of weapon a "Hasta" is.

2) "Name 2 hardwood trees" in a DT Test (Thanks to "Kingdom of miscellania")

3) "Explain the term 'Regicide' " in another history test

4) "Whats the difference between chainmil and a platebody?"

dczlnn.pngUSPPEP8.pngdczlnn.png

RS helped me with alot of things in rl:

I can now speak English :D

I can now type with 2 hands \:D/

I do now understand the economy :thumbup:

I know about the trees #-o

I have more friends on MSN (hmmm some sort of rl?) :geek:

I bought a book online (the RS novel...) :ugeek:

I now know about raw materials :wall:

I know about the time-zones =P~

wow... thats wat i was telling my mum! she dont believe me lolz!

made me 20x faster typer

made me better maths

made me alot smarter

sometimes at skoolw e learn thinsga nd i alreayd know form rs

rs has thougth me thousands of stuff that help me IRL!!!!

its amazing...

one downside.... i used to type normal now i type gyberish liek this ftl :(

ohh well rs is EDUCATIONAL!! :^o ..lolz

Runescape helping in real life is like a myth. You'd all like to believe that its true, but remains that you'd probably learn more in 3 hours of watching the food network than you would in a lifetime of RS. :P

And steel is not made out of coal and iron @__@ It's made out of 98% iron and 2% carbon or less. The RS recipe for steel is messed up.

steel is just superheated iron, the coal is used to raise the temperature of the furnace.

the reason a blast furnace does not need as much coal is because the oxygen pumped into the furnace fuels the flames increasing their intensity.

While iron isn't made of iron and coal, the RS recipe for steel is spot-on.

psizovrak282.png