Runescape being of use in real life.

Without RuneScape I would probably still be typing 1 finger at a time.

Some random things I can think of off the top of my head - trees, ores, metals, algebra is the absolute easiest thing to do in my head now, very good understanding of economics, and of course since this is a worldwide game I learned a lot about other countries which has definitely helped me in geography/history (being my worse subject).

I know without it I would have got a few questions wrong on tests/homework.

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I died on ape atoll, lost my m'speak ammy, greegree, and rune gloves! (I was uber ticked)

Took out my anger at Football practice, and played the whole game after that!

It has REALLY helped me with typing and spelling... And it has GREATLY improved my vocabulary!

I know the strengths and weaknesses of chainmail vs plate mail...

Also has improved my reflexes, believe it or not!

~Greene8535

EDIT: Has informed me on what goes into glass, and steel!

Greene8535.png

Ok, it has actually gotten me into making chain maille (The old English way to spell i, and the right way in my opinion). I haven't even had Economics yet, but I already know all about it. I have developed a sort of internal compass that I did not have before (In game and out). I know a lot of math (Not from RS, but thought I'd put it there). I can read a lot faster know because of having to search for people's message in and around the Grand Exchange. It has also helped me to just chill out and relax without doing anything tedious to get to that point. That's all I can think of right now, I will edit this when I think of more things.

Edit:

I learned the word Adamant from RS, I made a friend IRL from RS (Shh... Don't tell, but I actually found them at school after I had found them on RS). I have gotten very much into computers. I have learned what to put my money towards every month. That's pretty much all that I can remember that I've learned from RS.

In my "resistant materials" (mettle paper) exam. i was the ONLY one to get the 2 marks for naming the metals of the bronze =)

so that's my bonus from it. but it has helped no end in typing skills and also knowing the importance of setting goals =)

monkeyqy5.th.jpg

Runescape helping in real life is like a myth. You'd all like to believe that its true, but remains that you'd probably learn more in 3 hours of watching the food network than you would in a lifetime of RS. :P

And steel is not made out of coal and iron @__@ It's made out of 98% iron and 2% carbon or less. The RS recipe for steel is messed up.

Do you know what coal is made of? Oh damn, its CARBON. I belive in one of the god letters it was covered that most of the coal goes to making the fire hottore to make smelting steel possible (which is a real proccess) because someone pointed out that there is not much carbon in steel.

I learned how to type. Try learning that from the food network. I should mention that being able to touch type is a huge bonus once you hit high school and later on in life.

It's also a much better teacher than Type to Learn
True that.

Also, I can type so much faster now than I could before. I also learned names of various trees and fish. I also learned to set goals and not get discouraged if they don't pay off right away. Thirdly, I have learned a lot about the economy, and even the stock market with the grand exchange. It taught me to watch trends of prices and sell when it's at a high point and buy when you think the demand will go up.

iamthe_champ.png

5ODa.gif<---Please click him and you get a cookie!

Runescape helping in real life is like a myth. You'd all like to believe that its true, but remains that you'd probably learn more in 3 hours of watching the food network than you would in a lifetime of RS. :P

And steel is not made out of coal and iron @__@ It's made out of 98% iron and 2% carbon or less. The RS recipe for steel is messed up.

A lot of the coal is used to power the furnace I think. I think.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

From RuneScape, I've learned to....

~Type Faster - maxed out at 120 gwam the other day :ugeek:

~My English is getting better ~> Grammer

~Have some friends because of RuneScape

~Took a computer class because of RuneScape, got me intrested in Web Design :ugeek:

~Got intrested in Graphics because of Forums/Clans etc.

~The knowledge of trees/bows/fish/weapon and armour types etc

Spaz4010.png

Believe it or not, I learned german from RuneScape. I'm taking a german class in school right now, and I really enjoyed it. I wanted to learn more german, so I started playing rs on german worlds. Since I had played it on English servers for so long, I eventually took up how to speak German fairly well. The only problem is that there needs to be a bigger German population on RuneScape... Then I would learn more!

There's actually a lot more I learned too, but I seriously can't think of one...

Wait! I remembered one! In social studies we were talking about the taxes in the original 13 colonies and such, and it reminded me of the Fremmenick Isles quest. If it wasn't for that quest, I wouldn't have felt nearly as sorry for the colonists, because I could've cared less. :lol:

I have learned more L337 SP34K and other abbreviations than anything else. Tip.it has taught me the rest . . . ;)

Actually wrote a paper about L337 SP34K too- my English professor loved it. ::'

~Echocut

ZangetsuEchoSigFin.jpg

67/99/120 Invention

It is surprising how many little things you learn from the game lol

I also used it in 9th grade as a way to communicate to team when we did vocab game lol

i rem one time was censor and friend yelled RUNESCAPE DOES THIS A LOT

and i immediately yelled it lol

Well, basically all my English is from RS.

I started playing when I was 8, I didn't know almost any English words. Also, it helped me type faster.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

You know, the best thing I learned from Runescape was probably just the actual working of the economy, tracking the prices of various items and things.

There's also what I learned indirectly from Runescape, and that's because while I worked on my fishing, I watched TV. After running out of good thing to watch, I turned to the discovery, history, Military and other related channels. So I got to learn a lot from those channels.

Oh, and I saw the ad for Sunday's Obama rally at the University of Cincinnati in Ohio that I went to that night. :thumbsup:

And on that note: OBAMA FOR THE WIN!!! :thumbsup: =D>

May he deliver what he promises, or at least get the ball rolling. :pray:

goldenramoth.png

goldenramoth.png

goldenramoth.png

I know there have been a few times that RS knowledge has helped me out IRL, but I can't remember any of them... :roll:

However, one incredibly useful real life thing that RS has taught me is how to type! When I started playing RS I was a very slow typer, and I now can type faster than most people I know IRL! ::'

Still 20-40 WPM behind me mate. :)

But indeed, I agree, before RS I was typing 70 WPM now I can type 100-120WPM if I'm awake.

I also learned valuable chemistry things such as the formation of Bronze and stuff.

If I never played RS I would never have touched IRC and never found my interest in programming.

I now know how to brew beer correctly for the future too.

~My English is getting better ~> Grammer

You spelled grammar wrong. :> Keep playing more! :D

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Click my signature for my blog!

it pretty much made me smarter overall, ever since christmas of grade 7 (now grade 10) my marks have gone up every year and i got honours last year :D

and in grade 7 i knew about smelting from rs and my science teacher didnt even know what it was

however, there have also been the few times i said

me: "what level is your sister?"

friend: "what?"

me: "i mean, what grade is your sister in?"

99 fletching achieved 09/04/08 99 defence achieved 08/31/09 99 smithing achieved 07/25/10
99 attack achieved 03/11/10 99 constitution achieved 05/14/11
99 strength achieved 06/01/11 99 cooking achieved 01/17/12
99 woodcutting achieved 05/10/12 99 firemaking achieved 05/10/12

In a way. Some things, like how you obtain naptha (use a fractionalization still), are certainly from runescape, but most things are less definite in origin. My innate skill of economy may come runescape, but things like problem solving are definitely not (I cannot imagine how so many of you think that sliding puzzles are hard! I'm thinking MEP2 will be a disappointment). Anyway, most of my knowledge is only seeded by RS, and actually comes from the wikis. If i find something I wish to learn more about, I simply google it or look it up on wikipedia. Thats how I learned about greek fire, the reaction inside the bomb from Regicide. Which wouldn't actually explode.

Excuse me while i digress into rant

Sulfur, naptha, and lime DOES NOT EXPLODE

This mixture is very similar to that in black powder, with the carbon replaced by hydrocarbon, which would not significantly alter the RXN, and the saltpeter replaced with lime, which does.

Saltpeter, also known as Potassium Nitrate or KNO3, is an oxidizer, but Lime, also known as Calcium Oxide or CaO, is not. In order for there to be any sort of reaction, there must be an oxidizer, namely oxygen. Unfortunately, that doesn't react NEARLY fast enough, because the concentration is so low (gasses aren't too dense, you know). There needs to be some kind of solid oxidizer for a RXN fast enough to create an explosion, so KNO3 is used.

CaO, however, is not an oxidizer. Don't get me wrong, its still awesome. It was used in greek fire because it generates massive amounts of heat when it makes contact with water. Also, the product of this RXN is Ca(OH)2, a strong base. CaO also absorbs CO2, turning it into CaCO3, also known as limestone.

Further more, you used a wool cloth as a fuse. Wool is flame resistant. IT ONLY BURNS WHEN EXPOSED TO AN OPEN FLAME!!!

Thank you.

Contrary to Popular Belief, 2 plus 2 does NOT equal 6 1/2

dwarf_lord30.png

-Dwarf Lord30

Further more, you used a wool cloth as a fuse. Wool is flame resistant. IT ONLY BURNS WHEN EXPOSED TO AN OPEN FLAME!!!

When covered in the lanolin it is coated with before it is washed (like wool is in RS - did you wash the cloth? NO) it burns like cedar logs.

OH S***! He/she/it is back!