WARNING: scam site will steal your account [UPDATE]

Hello everyone,

recently we've had a lot of accounts being created to try to steal peoples' RuneScape accounts.

The message usually looks like this:

Everyone who has played RuneScape for a bit knows that zezima is just another player, except with very high skills, and experience.

But why is he getting attention from Jagex Mods? Do you think this is fair?

Please help spread the word on his topic:

http://forum.[Please Use QuickFind Code].ws?72,73,539,57888646

As you can see there is a link at the bottom, this looks like a link to the Official RuneScape Forums, however it is not!

If you hover over the link, look at the bottom of your browser, you will see where the link actually takes you to.

In these scam posts the link will take you to a fake RuneScape site, which is designed to look like the real thing.

THIS SITE WILL STEAL YOUR ACCOUNT IF YOU ENTER YOUR PASSWORD!!

Please make sure you check all suspicious links, and like JaGEx say all the time,

never ever enter your RuneScape password anywhere that doesn't say 'www.runescape.com' in the address bar.

EDIT November 15, 2008:

Additionally, here is a good topic written by pulli23 that is filled with information that can help you understand how to deal with issues like we have been experiencing on our forums: securing your pc, phishing!

Thanks and stay safe!

-------------------------------------------------------------

02/12/2008 UPDATE

I've recently got a PM from a user about a fake clan who have stolen their account.

The clan is called 'wildguard'. The url is already filtered here, but be wary nonetheless.

DO NOT ENTER ANY INFORMATION THERE

On their 'Join Us' page, they have a false link to the official forums, where you are required to enter your RuneScape account details. DO NOT ENTER YOUR DETAILS THERE, IT WILL STEAL YOUR PASSWORD!

~The Tip.it Staff

spacescenev24.jpg

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Log into your account and don't log out. Change your password multiple times and change all your recoveries. Do it as quickly as possible.

If you have a PIN you probably don't need to worry about anything that you have in your bank, just whats in your inventory and equipped.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Have you tried IP banning them?

I think its more than one person :(

Maybe forbid people below 50 post-counts to post links in their posts (is that even possible to control?).

Have you tried IP banning them?

I think its more than one person :(

Maybe forbid people below 50 post-counts to post links in their posts (is that even possible to control?).

I think it is, I've seen forums that do that, and also stop you from posting pics before a certain count. Whether or not it is do-able on this particular type of server, I don't know.

To the person above, that sounds like a really good idea.

Good thing I never ever get these e-mails. Ever. :lol: Cause if so I'd prolly click it, and post sarcastic crap like "Zez for Pres" meanwhile giving away my pword accidentally. :wall:

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Glad to hear this was noticed before it got too far. 8-)

In a thought: GO KICK THEIR [bLEEP]S IN, TIP.IT STAFF!!! :thumbsup:

~Mr. "I hate scammers." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Good thing I never ever get these e-mails. Ever. :lol: Cause if so I'd prolly click it, and post sarcastic crap like "Zez for Pres" meanwhile giving away my pword accidentally. :wall:

Its a thread on TIF. So many poeple have fallen for this; someone got lucky, cuase I don't remember any of these scam sites getting so many passwords.

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

The idiot scammer named his site "scam site"?

:wall:

Or was that just edited by the poster?

But this scam was bound to trick many people. I'm very paranoid over my account and even I would probably fall for it. As someone else said, there should be a rule to prevent posting links and/or images before a certain post count.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

o... :|

Yo did you get hacked?

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

You should all be aware now, that new updates have many glitches.

I logged in and next thing I know, I lost my items in this "Safe Mini-game"

A Jagex mod made a post about it even..

Just beware...

Please help spread the word on this topic:

[link removed]

Nice. Try to scam people on an anti-scam topic? How bold of you. Or stupid. I can't tell at this point.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Just beware...

[LINK REMOVED]

MOST IRONIC POST EVER.

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

Just beware...

[link removed]

Nice. Try to scam people on an anti-scam topic? How bold of you. Or stupid. I can't tell at this point.

Seriously made me LOL that he postd it here. He's posting as fast as i can report his posts to get them locked.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^