A question for fellow athiests

Lionheart_0

WIth out even trying just looking at the first few sentences I see they begin with AND.

In primary school I was told never to start a sentance with AND.

Do you mean in elementary school(K-5th grade)? Or is that the same thing? By the way, they don't always teach you the exact right way to do things when you are in elementary shcool :wink: That was a horrible post.. The only reason you can seem to come up with about "bad grammar" in the Bible, is an excessive use of ands. It isn't even bad grammar first of all, and second of all it isn't even that much.. Only in a couple verses..

Like someone else said, the translations can't be exactly the same as the original Bible was written. Plus, who cares even if it was bad grammar?

I know I should just be dropping this subject, but that post kinda ticked me off, how stupid it was..

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâö In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâö And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that [it was] good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

WIth out even trying just looking at the first few sentences I see they begin with AND.

In primary school I was told never to start a sentance with AND.

Im sure theirs more if I was to read on.

Upon readin more all I find is more.

And this And that And god blahblahblah very irritating to read.

Do you actually read books ? As in not the Bible ? Haven't you noticed that there's all sorts of things writers do that are weirdly constructed sentences, yet serve a purpose ? It's called 'style'. As in writing style. Starting a sentence with AND is not bad grammar. You're told not to do it as a child because it's not common and usually looks bad. Professional writers are usually able to make it look good. Not everyone. You think they go by what they learn in primary school ? You just find it more difficult to read, that's all. It doesn't make it bad grammar.

Oh and quit trying to point out the difference between spelling and grammar. You're the one who brought "grammer" up first (mispelling intended).

One more offtopic and irrelevant post about spelling and/or grammar, and this topic gets locked; unfortunately.

I think that two entire pages devoted to an irrelevant discussion such as this is quite enough.

summerpngwy6.jpg

I'd ask to be annihalated, I dont want to live forever worshiping a being that not only lets so much pain and hatred run rampant in the world but causes it too. It would be like praying to Bush.
without pain how would u know joy? life would truely be just nothing but empty space, like u believe when u die, ironic in a way
Thats a cop out answer. You dont need pain to have joy. How is it fair for people to live lavish life styles in their $10m mansions while other people starve to death slow and painfully? I live my life now helping others enjoy their own lives because I know that after life theres is nothing, we must all do our best to make it as good as we can because its our only chance.

I think he means that if there was no pain in the world, than what would "joy" be considered? It would just be the normal thing, and would be "nothing special"

Not going to get into a big debate on if god is real / isn't real, or a big debate about anything else, but felt like explaining that. If there was never anything bad happening in the world, than all the good things would be "eh" or whatever, nothing big, and like mhr said, would just be kind of meaning-less.

I'd ask to be annihalated, I dont want to live forever worshiping a being that not only lets so much pain and hatred run rampant in the world but causes it too. It would be like praying to Bush.

Not funny

I'd ask to be annihalated, I dont want to live forever worshiping a being that not only lets so much pain and hatred run rampant in the world but causes it too.

Not funny

Did you see a "lol" or a :lol:" in my post? The answer is No, because I wasnt joking.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I'd ask to be annihalated, I dont want to live forever worshiping a being that not only lets so much pain and hatred run rampant in the world but causes it too.

Not funny

Did you see a "lol" or a :lol:" in my post? The answer is No, because I wasnt joking.

Too bad you left the It would be like praying to Bush. out after the ...causes it too.

That is the reason lego said not funny.. Because you are flaming Bush.

Sorry about that being off-topic.. I don't really know what the question at hand is lol.. Can anyone please tell me? I love this topic.

MY FAVORITE BAND:

My interpretation of the situation... God either doesn't exist, or he exists and doesn't give a damn, is too busy, or seeing how we fend for ourselves...

So I say that although I'm an agostic/atheist, I try to make my and other people's lives as best as I can... Helping others is a goal of mine in life, as I am going to become a doctor in hopes to help teenagers lose excess weight. If he exists, this is probably why I had such a horrible teenagehood with the obesity, and now that I'm at a good weight (but still not defined or anything yet... Sorry ladies. :()

Either that or it's just the luck of the draw, and I'm making the best out of what used to be a bad situation.

My $0.02(CAD)

My view on this subject is that if God did exist at one time, he sure doesn't now. I don't really believe the bible. I believe the bible was a fictional story that was contributed too by many, many, people. And then it had a "War of the Worlds" effect. But that is just my view.

Take all major religon's (Christianity, Jew, Muslim etc) teaching. They all tells you do be good and kind. If we are being nice most of us would benefit from it. No one get hurts.

look at this

-You believe in god and you follow its teaching

-you don't believe in god and you are doing good things

Turns out both will benefit people. If the whole heaven and hell thing is true, you still go to the heaven.

Does it matter if God exist or not? The most important thing is we all get along and live in harmony.

If you believe god will bless you and help you get through certain thing. At least you have some sort of mental support. Still better than nothing.

1b57366d.jpg

It God doesnt exist then it doesnt matter. If he does, it means the Bible is the truth. If the Bible is the truth then it does matter if God exists. Because deeds alone will not let us into the kingdom of heaven.

We have limited time on earth, but in that time we can choose how we spend eternity. Thats why it matters if God exists or not. Hope thats answered your question cupcake :)

My view on this subject is that if God did exist at one time, he sure doesn't now. I don't really believe the bible. I believe the bible was a fictional story that was contributed too by many, many, people. And then it had a "War of the Worlds" effect. But that is just my view.

Ok your going to have to explain yourself a little more than that because saying that you think that God once did exist and now doesnt, makes no sense. You must think that God wasnt very great if he coulnt exist forever. And how do you think God went out of existence?

lope6jw0.jpg

From the looks of it, it seems like spelling should be more of an issue to you than grammar. Almost every other word is mispelled....Plus, i'd like to see an examle of where there is bad grammar in the Bible.

We are not talking about me we are talking about the author of the bible.

As I said before READ the bible must I really say it so many times.

p.s

No not EVERY other word of mine is mispelled.

Know what? Why don't you give us a verse that has bad grammar...

You probably havent realised this yet but I DONT BELIVE IN GOD!!!!

So what leads you to belive I have a bible within reach?

Give me a bible and ill happily show you bad grammer.

P.s its pretty pathetic that you guys are incapable of reading a book page by yoursels.

So if you don't have a bible within reach, how would you kno about the grammar inside of it?

Have you ever read the bible? Ive personally never seen such poor grammer

You've "personally" never "seen" such poor grammar? With what? since you don't have a bible.

dont worry about it, DaN seems to dig him self into holes time and time again that he can never get out of because of his inability to comprehend intelligent conversations..

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

You musn't mean the Christian God then.

Okay, I really don't get you crazy bible thumpers. You say god created the world, and in the bible, it says all these acts of him doing stuff. That his son had mystic power or had contact with god to do anything he wanted to help people back then. If god has existed for the 10,000 years most bible thumpers think the world existed why did he allow all the people before the bible stroys came forth to worship someone else? If he created the first man and the whole world he would want all of them to worship im correct? I Mean he wont let anyone no matter how goood deeds they did into his heaven unless they belive in him so why let the first humans not belive? PLEASE do NOT say it was his 'plan' because so far of what i've read once you see a question thats what you say.

There is NO GOD, all gods have been there to explain things and for somthing after we die. Zues brang lightning, so did thor. Oh wait... we know what causes lightning. So thats wrong, didn't people also think the 'god' brang lightning? Religions are nothing but explain what we faer.

Oh and since we have proof the world is MUCH MUCH MUCH older then 10,000years old, why would he wait 5billion years to make humans, which are in his selfimage. Why would he create dinosaurs and such? Don't say that 'oh, carbon dating is wrong. its a fake sience created by satan to bring people to hell' it's real.

I would do nothing if god was real because it isn't. All of us will rot in the ground and get eaten by maggots once we die, nothing else.

There is NO GOD

But how do you know? How can one actually tell? The arguement is for and against, with no settling proof for either.

PS: Don't have a go at me calling me a "Bible thumper" :? I don't believe in the Christian God, but I may believe in A God. I honestly don't know.

Take all major religon's (Christianity, Jew, Muslim etc) teaching. They all tells you do be good and kind. If we are being nice most of us would benefit from it. No one get hurts.

look at this

-You believe in god and you follow its teaching

-you don't believe in god and you are doing good things

Turns out both will benefit people. If the whole heaven and hell thing is true, you still go to the heaven.

Does it matter if God exist or not? The most important thing is we all get along and live in harmony.

If you believe god will bless you and help you get through certain thing. At least you have some sort of mental support. Still better than nothing.

Thats the thing though, like jackalope said.. The 2 types of people you pointed out. The ones that don't believe in 'god' and you are doing good things. They WON'T get into heaven, because you don't get into heaven just from doing good things. You also have to believe in God. So, it DOES matter if God exists or not.. If God didn't exist would there be a heaven? It is important we all get along, but it isn't the most important thing. When you believe in God, you will WANT to do good things. While I am not sure if I believe this or not, some people say someone who isn't a Christian can't do something for the good of someone else without having some type of selfish reason for doing it. This is why a lot of people think Christians are 'hypocrites' That is kind of like the Christian stereotype. It is because some churches have bad theology, and they misinterpret(I blew the spelling on that) the Bible, and they preach that to get to heaven you only need to do good deeds..

My interpretation of the situation... God either doesn't exist, or he exists and doesn't give a damn, is too busy, or seeing how we fend for ourselves...

So I say that although I'm an agostic/atheist, I try to make my and other people's lives as best as I can... Helping others is a goal of mine in life, as I am going to become a doctor in hopes to help teenagers lose excess weight. If he exists, this is probably why I had such a horrible teenagehood with the obesity, and now that I'm at a good weight (but still not defined or anything yet... Sorry ladies. Sad)

So are you blaming your excess wait during your teenage years on God? Just because your life isn't perfect doesn't mean he doesn't exist. We don't fend for ourselves.. None of us DESERVE God's help, but he gives it to us anyways. You expect God to help all of us even though people hate his guts, and blame their bad lives on God?

Okay, I really don't get you crazy bible thumpers. You say god created the world, and in the bible, it says all these acts of him doing stuff. That his son had mystic power or had contact with god to do anything he wanted to help people back then. If god has existed for the 10,000 years most bible thumpers think the world existed why did he allow all the people before the bible stroys came forth to worship someone else? If he created the first man and the whole world he would want all of them to worship im correct? I Mean he wont let anyone no matter how goood deeds they did into his heaven unless they belive in him so why let the first humans not belive? PLEASE do NOT say it was his 'plan' because so far of what i've read once you see a question thats what you say.

There is NO GOD, all gods have been there to explain things and for somthing after we die. Zues brang lightning, so did thor. Oh wait... we know what causes lightning. So thats wrong, didn't people also think the 'god' brang lightning? Religions are nothing but explain what we faer.

Oh and since we have proof the world is MUCH MUCH MUCH older then 10,000years old, why would he wait 5billion years to make humans, which are in his selfimage. Why would he create dinosaurs and such? Don't say that 'oh, carbon dating is wrong. its a fake sience created by satan to bring people to hell' it's real.

I would do nothing if god was real because it isn't. All of us will rot in the ground and get eaten by maggots once we die, nothing else.

All Christians are "Bible thumpers"? Or just the ones that make posts here? What even is a "Bible thumper"?

So basically you think God doesn't care about us because our lives are perfect? I don't know if you took the time to read previous posts, but would you get joy out of watching abunch of robots worship you? No, you wouldn't because they are programmed to do so. We would be like robots if God controlled every single little thing that happened. That is basically the only reason you guys seem to be able to come up with about why God doesn't exist.

I couldn't believe how horrible this post was. Not only was it poorly written, but it made almost no sense. We don't make up God to explain for things like lightning.. That is mostly just mythical stories like the gods you mentioned, Zeuss and Thor..

About the last thing you said.. You would rather live believing that there is no God, so that you can look forward to getting eaten by bugs when you die and thats it? I don't know about you, but I would rather believe in God, and look forward to a perfect life in Heaven after I die.

MY FAVORITE BAND:

About the last thing you said.. You would rather live believing that there is no God, so that you can look forward to getting eaten by bugs when you die and thats it? I don't know about you, but I would rather believe in God, and look forward to a perfect life in Heaven after I die.

Just gonna address this because the rest has already been debated.

Non-believers don't look forward to anything after life. They look forward to a good life, knowing it will end someday and making the most of it. I'm sure you disagree with it, but a lot of non-believers think that way.

From a Biblical perspective, the people early on wouldn't have needed a Bible to tell them about God. Everyone had come from one source (Adam and Eve), and humanity would have been fairly centralized, I imagine. The oral tradition that would have been passed down from Adam and Eve would have told them everything they needed to know. Ten generations from creation, along came the flood. After it, Noah and his family would have passed on that oral tradition all over again. And by the time the first parts of the Bible were actually written, they still weren't needed that much, because God still communicated with His people by speaking to them back then. I'm not sure I explained that right, so feel free to tell me if you don't see my reasoning.

So understanding lightning is proof that there's no Zeus or Thor or God? Prove to me that Thor isn't sitting in the sky, undetectable to us, causing static electricity to build up between the clouds and the earth to create lighning. For all you know, our scientific understanding of lightning is simply explain the method the gods use to create lightning.

I don't know much about all that stuff, but you might want to take up the old earth/young earth issue with tttia in the "creation vs evolution" thread.

I would do nothing if god was real because it isn't.

I think you're missing the point of a hypothetical situation.

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

I don't exactly see what you're trying to say with this sentence. We have proof that the earth is 5 billions years old? No, scientists keep moving the years because they find new fossils. There is no carbon dating that goes that far back. That's just an approximation of scientists. Who said he waited 5 billion to make humans? why would he create dinosaurs? is that a serious question? That's like asking why did he create dogs, i dont see what you mean by that question.

clbqf5.jpg

Dragon drops: D med x3, D Spear x2, Left Half x1, D2h x1

Crawling Hands X4, Cockatrice heads X2, Basilisk head X2, Kurask head X1

Support me in the drop race

I don't exactly see what you're trying to say with this sentence. We have proof that the earth is 5 billions years old? No, scientists keep moving the years because they find new fossils. There is no carbon dating that goes that far back. That's just an approximation of scientists. Who said he waited 5 billion to make humans? why would he create dinosaurs? is that a serious question? That's like asking why did he create dogs, i dont see what you mean by that question.

Look into the sky. Some of those stars are millions of light years away. Since it took light that long to travel to Earth, it's given proof that the universe is incredibly old.

Look into the sky. Some of those stars are millions of light years away. Since it took light that long to travel to Earth, it's given proof that the universe is incredibly old.

thats if u believe the big bang theory

No it doesnt :-/ light travels at approximately 186,000 miles (or 300,000,000 meters) per second. We know that the stars are millions of miles away and so you can work out how long its taken the light to reach earth and therefor an approximate "youngest possible age".

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

No it doesnt :-/ light travels at approximately 186,000 miles (or 300,000,000 meters) per second. We know that the stars are millions of miles away and so you can work out how long its taken the light to reach earth and therefor an approximate "youngest possible age".

the speed of light is not a constant ...its slowing down