Powertraining - Your views.

Kickthat

Hey, thought I would start this because there is some debate in the help and advice section of the forums over this issue.

My opinion is that powertraining is a very useful and quick method of training some skills, but what is powertraining?

Basically it seems to have been defined as training skills as fast as possible, with no regard for profit or loss. There are two basic "methods";

1) To train a raw skill using the fastest method - usually one that requires no banking (i.e, dropping) and so reaps very little financial reward.

Examples of this are;

powermining granite or iron (dropping ores)

Woodcutting willows (and banking or dropping) - very little reward.

2) Powertraining secondary skills - i.e, those that are buyable.

Examples;

Fletch, cooking, smithing.

Essentially and buyable skill is powertrained. That is unless you collect all the materials required yourself. This would mean fishing all the fish you need for 99 cooking. Mining all the ores to smith for 99 smithing and so on.

Views on powertraining

Personally I powertrain quite a lot. I mine granite for fast mining levels and "powercraft" by buying a lot of dragonhides and crafting at an extremely high xp rate per hour.

I favour these methods because of just how quick they are. I care very little for profit and any spare cash I have generally goes into improving the more buyable skills - as such I have never really had any great amounts of cash.

I personally play the game to improve my skills. I'm not that interested in combat and consider myself to be a skiller above all. That what I enjoy. I would not force that upon anyone else and am not suggesting that powertraining is for everyone, or even that it is the best method of training skills - how each person plays the game is up to them.

The debate here is not over the effectiveness of powertraining. I fail to see how anyone can prove that it is not the fastest way to improve skills. I do not suggest that it is the best.

What i am looking for, is peoples views on powertraining. Do you like it? Or not like it?

I would like to end by saying that at some point ALMOST EVERYONE has done this.

Prolonged high alching, cooking, fletching - all are mainly powertrained.

I think the last time I powertrained was years ago when I was F2P, and really got into mining. I had a character devoted to nothing but mining, and I would sit at the Rimmington mine all day and mine/drop iron.

I don't really do it nowadays... I don't think. I really got into Hunter a while back. I got to level 40 or so in around a day. Is this considered powertraining? Or is this just really getting into a skill? #-o

Anyways!

As far as other people go, I don't really see anything wrong with it. Everyone has their own methods of getting levels. To me, powertraining and even "buying" skills is no different than my taking ages to get levels in a skill. If anything, people who powertrain are smarter, because they get to their desired level quicker!

It's just not for me, I guess. I like taking time to achieve my goal.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

im power training willows atm earlier this week i crafted 5k ammys for craft and 4k superheats (magic and smith) i find nothing wrong with it

1100 total achieved 03/02/09 880thousandth to reach it :P

1200 total achieved 29/09/11 1.23millionth to reach it :P

awesome_600.png

Personally I do not like powertraining. I need variation to enjoy the game, and I get that variation by doing a little of this, a little of that. Collecting stuff when I slay or train basic skills, using what I collected when training other skills, sell off the stuff for cash (thank gawd for the ge!).

Sure I sometimes buy raw materials. But not often, and never in large amounts - since standing in bank and process it bores me to death ;)

So no, I do not powertrain, simply because I dont enjoy it, and to me the whole point in playing a computer game is to do things you enjoy.

Please think before you ask a question. If you ask the right question, its much more likely you get the answer you are looking for :)

Gugge.png

Moly.png

Thanks to you all for commenting so far.

Gugge. Very good point and I have no arguement there. I choose to powertrain because I like getting skill levels and I like getting them quickly. For me that's fun. At the end of the day it does come down to what we all each enjoy.

Powertraining is what really eventually drove me away from MMORPG's. It's the exact polar opposite of the interesting XP and combat systems offered in early fantasy RPG's like Diablo, with varying monsters with resistances/weaknesses moving, running away from you, charging at you aggressively, hiding in shadows/ambushing you, keeping you alert at all times.

I mean this with no offense to any person, but powertraining is a really pathetic way of spending time IMO. It's the prime example of mindless, repetitive action with no benefit or end-result, other than pushing up a virtual number in your stat log.

In RS I did get to about level 108 back when XP was hard to come by in 2001-2003, then I realized what a waste of time it really is.. Compared to the amount of entertainment, education or benefit gained.

Another fair point. However, again it simply shows how everybody has differing opinions. Clearly you found fun in thrill and surprise of combat etc.

I won't deny that it can get boring training skills in repetitive manners, but if we all took that view then we would all quit like yourself - after all thats what the game is really about if you wish to train your skills, whether you powertrain or not.

This is why i often switch skills whilst powertraining. I'll take a break from powermining granite, to cut some magics for cash etc. No-one can really keep it up constantly.

However, I still find it fun and am spurred on in a repetitive task when i have set goals.

It depends on efficiency

If you can make more money in the time gained through dropping, then drop. But if you can't, then bank.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

It depends on efficiency

If you can make more money in the time gained through dropping, then drop. But if you can't, then bank.

I beg to differ. The whole point of powertraining is not money. For me anyway - I powertrain to level quickly, money plays no part in it.

I'm pretty much against it. Not even talking Slayer here (though I do think it's the best way to go) but most power-training methods only make you lose money. There are plenty of ways to make decent money and get decent experience which I think is the best route to take. Also, I think Slayer makes combat much more enjoyable since you get a change of monsters, drops, tactics needed to use against them and extra total xp/levels. I only mentioned combat in this (mainly melee) because that's what comes to mind when I think of power-training.

LOL.jpg

I have no beef with power-training. If you want to, go right ahead. Personally I do not wish to train that way but the game was meant to be played however you want. (within certain rules though lol)

Sublexation.gif 203934109074superballpwnage.gif

The closest I've gotten to powertraining was buying mith ore, coal, and nats, then superheating them and selling them. That was only like 1 hour per level, and I didn't spend a huge amount of time on it. Also, I profited a bit.

I'm fine with spending large amounts of time on a skill, but I dislike buying skills.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

I only like to "powertrain" skills that are either

a. Profitable

b. Respectable (like herblore or agility)

c. Necessary for total level

I'm a very big person on total level. I'm not afraid that my stats once looked like this:

[hide=]209jd4w.jpg[/hide]

And now,

[hide=]2i78pdj.jpg[/hide]

I actually went to train smithing that many levels just because it was one of my lowest f2p skills. Also, I DID buy all my ores to turn to steel bars to sell back, which did profit, was respectable, and necessary for total level.

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]

I have nothing against powertraining, I just find that taking things slowly makes the game more enjoyable for me. :)

Yeah :? If you instantly get to 99s, then you're stuck... and you can't advance any... and you may as well quit the game!

Taking things slowly just means that I have more time to play and enjoy the game.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Well I obviously am known to hate powertraining, but, if its to a level that actually keeps a load of gp coming in its fine - i just hate it to a 99. There's no use.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Well I obviously am known to hate powertraining, but, if its to a level that actually keeps a load of gp coming in its fine - i just hate it to a 99. There's no use.

Ta for joining in Ray :P

See that's where I differ. Take mining for instance - Im strange in that I quite enjoy it and want to raise it. However, I would love to have 99 mining and to get this would take years any other way than powertraining. And even powertraining it will still take a long time!

Now in terms of cash gain, there will be almost none as when i train it i tend to use granite. Of course when i reach 85 i intend to have some time mining rune, but for actually raising the skill, powermining all the way.

I have never really had a problem with cash. I have some pretty high skills and know that if i want to make some serious cash, i can. But i rarely train combat so what would i spend tens of millions on? - When i have spare cash i use it to power train skills.

That, I think is where the difference is. If you like to train combat, you always want to have cash knocking around for the rare armour and weapons, or to restock your food supplies. I however never have anything to spend tons of cash on, so i may as well use it for skills. Hence, it really doesn't bother me if i make a fortune getting a skill up or not. It's all about the quickest way of doing it.

It depends on efficiency

I beg to differ. The whole point of powertraining is not money. For me anyway - I powertrain to level quickly, money plays no part in it.

Well if money is no part in it then why is there a debate. OF course powertrain if everything else is irrelevent.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

It depends on efficiency

Well if money is no part in it then why is there a debate. OF course powertrain if everything else is irrelevent.

Theres a debate because people have different views - hence the title of my topic.

I am not saying that everybody should powertrain. I am saying that for certain aspects of the game that is what i do and when i do, money is of no concern to me.

I know that RayOxide for one would disagree. I believe his view is that there is little point in training a skill if there is to be no gain other than xp. He likes to earn some cash whilst training - in which case, often for him the best method is not powertraining.

Debate will always occur where there are different sides to an argument.

it depends on exactly what the power training is

im going for 99 range for instance and im not going to start chinning once i hit 80 just because its the quickest thing

but when i train woodcutting im just as likely to cut yews as i am to cut and burn teaks

I could train combat by monkey guards etc but i prefer to use slayer since i like the balance of exp and money

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

I'm mostly against it. I tried doing some firemaking to get my level up for a quest and got bored after clicking the first few logs. There are some skills which I wouldn't mind powertraining (firemaking, fletching, smithing) but I always have some more exciting things to do then stand in a bank and click on logs for hours.

Eyes330.png

i dont really care how many times i am called a noob for powertraining on willows, rock crabs etc. Powertraining is the way to go to get really fast exp. It might not be the funnest thing in the world but its extremely useful.

powertraining ftw ::'