The True World Map? Post your findings! [Updated 2014]

Ned

They're like that for a reason, Jagex have even said why before, their answer was something like this;

There are "map levels" in RuneScape, all cellars/basements, underground locations like the KBD lair, Taverley Dungeon are all on the same level so we can "save space" and add more content to the game without expanding the map further this means you may see other areas from the peaks of other areas, but it's nothing to be concerned about.

I'm not concerned about, it I just think it's interesting to know where these places actually are. For instance, we are actually fighting the Corporeal Beast over a room that is supposedly under Ardougne. We enter the lair in a place supposedly under the Wilderness, but it is actually a few levels ABOVE the Wilderness (Dark Castle).

So in fact, a ladder going down someplace teleports you to somewhere on the other side of the map?

I don't mean to say "this is a problem and zomg wtf is happening Jagex messed up". I just think it's cool to see how the world is actually laid out.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

There ARE multiple levels in RuneScape.

The reason for certain places being in what seems to be 107 wilderness is because, well it has to go somewhere. Why not in the empty blackness where you can put things places?

Uhm that's the most, most stupid thing I've heard this weekend ><.. And I"ve been browsing the tipit forums a lot these days!

Really runescape is just a 2 dimensional array! - 1 big large array. And all, yes all dungeons are put "north" of the wilderness. - You can check this at the fairy-"plane": clues work there..

Also how I knew this? - Well your character location is stored as an unsigned integer at your pc. So reading the correct address gives you that location, anybody with a little bit of computerscience (and then I don't mean that stupid code jamming, I mean actual knowing how a computer/JAVA inner workings are) can retrieve this information with ease... (I didn't, had to have some help from a friend to work this out).

But really: they can't really release that much of "north" anymore, I believe the distance between northern most wilderness to the fairy location is only as big as the wilderness itself. (Though they can stretch it, doing this might lead to "bugs" in things such as teleports, "walk areas" etc..

You're partially right...it's really(from my understanding of the development diary for hd water effects) a 3 dimensional array so that say a space numbered 1, 1, 1 would be the ground floor by a building, so that the space 1, 1, 2, would the the space on the second floor, above the 1, 1, 1 space. If they had something there, they would have it referenced to the 1, 1, 2 space, such as a floor on a second story. however, if there is nothing there, or in the case of low detail blackness, then it would reference the 1, 1, 2, space to the 1, 1, 1 space(modified to adjust for the change in height), and give the design from there. Since this would be a standard method in high detail mode, this would explain why you can see the ground in the area while in the corp beast lair, as slightly above it.

To test this (since i'm not a member at the moment), turn visable levels to current, and take the pictures again. If it is a 3 dimensional array (as i suggest) then the area's you spotted will not be there. If the poster above me is correct, this area will still be shown.

Of course all we can do is speculate, since i doupt either one of us works at Jagex and knows exactally how they do it. For example, they might have several 3 dimensional arrays, to accurately portray all the areas as three dimensional. We can't really know for sure.

NO IT"S NOT A 3D ARRAY. Really, how stubborn can you be... JAVA ONLY SUPPORTS UP TO 2D ARRAYS! I LOOKED INTO THE WAY THE DATA IS STORED, YOU CAN SEE FROM THE LAYOUT ON YOUR PHYSICAL MEMORY THAT IT'S A 2D ARRAY! Ever heard of pointers in C-family? JAVA uses a similar technique although it's made completely transparant for the programmer. This is what makes java so easy, but also makes java terribly slow and easily "hackable"!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Haha :D I spent a bit of time in Clan Wars. Those images are both from the Dangerous and Safe areas, which are in different places.

I'd be pretty interested to see from where you could see the old KBD, wonder why they haven't taken it off. Maybe it's so old that it doesn't drop a visage, were anyone able to hack into that room? lol.

I don't know a thing about programming, so I can't really comment on the 2D-3D debate, but it sounds interesting :)

There ARE multiple levels in RuneScape.

The reason for certain places being in what seems to be 107 wilderness is because, well it has to go somewhere. Why not in the empty blackness where you can put things places?

Uhm that's the most, most stupid thing I've heard this weekend ><.. And I"ve been browsing the tipit forums a lot these days!

Really runescape is just a 2 dimensional array! - 1 big large array. And all, yes all dungeons are put "north" of the wilderness. - You can check this at the fairy-"plane": clues work there..

Also how I knew this? - Well your character location is stored as an unsigned integer at your pc. So reading the correct address gives you that location, anybody with a little bit of computerscience (and then I don't mean that stupid code jamming, I mean actual knowing how a computer/JAVA inner workings are) can retrieve this information with ease... (I didn't, had to have some help from a friend to work this out).

But really: they can't really release that much of "north" anymore, I believe the distance between northern most wilderness to the fairy location is only as big as the wilderness itself. (Though they can stretch it, doing this might lead to "bugs" in things such as teleports, "walk areas" etc..

You're partially right...it's really(from my understanding of the development diary for hd water effects) a 3 dimensional array so that say a space numbered 1, 1, 1 would be the ground floor by a building, so that the space 1, 1, 2, would the the space on the second floor, above the 1, 1, 1 space. If they had something there, they would have it referenced to the 1, 1, 2 space, such as a floor on a second story. however, if there is nothing there, or in the case of low detail blackness, then it would reference the 1, 1, 2, space to the 1, 1, 1 space(modified to adjust for the change in height), and give the design from there. Since this would be a standard method in high detail mode, this would explain why you can see the ground in the area while in the corp beast lair, as slightly above it.

To test this (since i'm not a member at the moment), turn visable levels to current, and take the pictures again. If it is a 3 dimensional array (as i suggest) then the area's you spotted will not be there. If the poster above me is correct, this area will still be shown.

Of course all we can do is speculate, since i doupt either one of us works at Jagex and knows exactally how they do it. For example, they might have several 3 dimensional arrays, to accurately portray all the areas as three dimensional. We can't really know for sure.

NO IT"S NOT A 3D ARRAY. Really, how stubborn can you be... JAVA ONLY SUPPORTS UP TO 2D ARRAYS! I LOOKED INTO THE WAY THE DATA IS STORED, YOU CAN SEE FROM THE LAYOUT ON YOUR PHYSICAL MEMORY THAT IT'S A 2D ARRAY! Ever heard of pointers in C-family? JAVA uses a similar technique although it's made completely transparant for the programmer. This is what makes java so easy, but also makes java terribly slow and easily "hackable"!

ok...calm down...it's just the internet...

i didn't know the impossiability of 3D arrays, and i thank you for bringing this up. However, on a development diary:

From the second delevopment diary. There is levels for tall buildings and such, but not for underground places.

[hide=Image]underworlduk4.jpg[/hide]

this gives insight on several different levels of the runescape plane and their relation to height. I thought that the best way to do this would be for a 3D array, but 5 2D arrays would do just as well, with a reference to another seperate varable(or class, depending how they program it)

It is not the great who are strong, but the strong who are great--Albel Nox

I heard you can see Russia from Sarah Palin's house. Does that count as an interesting world layout mistake?

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I heard you can see Russia from Sarah Palin's house. Does that count as an interesting world layout mistake?

:lol:

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

@krugtheorc

What he's talking about here are "artificial" levels: of course JAVA is turing-complete: meaning anything you can imagine you can program! - However sometimes you need to do a "trick".

An example are these "levels": actually above a certain coordinate everything is "seen" as "2nd" level..

However it isn't a "complete" new layer: (that's why he's talking about alignment problems).. 2 "layers" would double the memory footnote used, No runescape reduces the 2nd (and 3rd) layer considerably....

Also I'm not sure if you noticed: but for example the distance in the members cave between the entrance/exit is actually bigger inside the cave than it is outside the cave!

When you climb an "ladder" you do the same thing as if you would "teleport" to a different region. The actual connection with the ground "part" are very loose... (If they really used a 3d array they could've updated the 2 parts seperately from each other, and hence update the ground-layer if you're on the second floor and you're able to see that update. Now the ground region gets "converted" and placed around the first/upper-floor region as "background".

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I have a screenshot of a dungeon that may help to the Java discussion, it looks 3D to me, but it may be 2D with background.

It has a bunch if different levels and you can see them at once, a glitch I think.

@krugtheorc

What he's talking about here are "artificial" levels: of course JAVA is turing-complete: meaning anything you can imagine you can program! - However sometimes you need to do a "trick".

An example are these "levels": actually above a certain coordinate everything is "seen" as "2nd" level..

However it isn't a "complete" new layer: (that's why he's talking about alignment problems).. 2 "layers" would double the memory footnote used, No runescape reduces the 2nd (and 3rd) layer considerably....

Also I'm not sure if you noticed: but for example the distance in the members cave between the entrance/exit is actually bigger inside the cave than it is outside the cave!

When you climb an "ladder" you do the same thing as if you would "teleport" to a different region. The actual connection with the ground "part" are very loose... (If they really used a 3d array they could've updated the 2 parts seperately from each other, and hence update the ground-layer if you're on the second floor and you're able to see that update. Now the ground region gets "converted" and placed around the first/upper-floor region as "background".

That makes sense...and it would be impossiable to place the second floor because the 'background' would be hiding everything that's under it.

In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that the black background wasn't extended a bit further in the corp beast lair, we wouldn't be able to see the edge of the dark warriors fortress and therefore this topic wouldn't exist

EDIT: that reminds me, has anyone gone back to the corp beast's lair with visable layers turned to current? That point still draws my curiousity, and i have no members access

It is not the great who are strong, but the strong who are great--Albel Nox

I recall once when playing GoP in world 16, there was noone in the air altar, when we went another round, there was over 9000 people. Could this mean we we're transported into other worlds, another replica air altar?

Also, I remember from the walls of the clan wars map - turrets, we could see some green patches of grass.

Lastly, can someone reconize that green land I saw next to the mind altar? The picture is in the first post.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It could be either a part of the air/nature altar, I know that area is forest/woodland. Or it could be that the mind altar is the first altar away from the RS World plane. Not sure though. Anyone know? :)

Interesting about the GOP altars, I know they have replicas of other in game areas, who's to say this isn't as well?

It could be either a part of the air/nature altar, I know that area is forest/woodland. Or it could be that the mind altar is the first altar away from the RS World plane. Not sure though. Anyone know? :)

Interesting about the GOP altars, I know they have replicas of other in game areas, who's to say this isn't as well?

Also, I noticed that there is some sort of waterfall inside the draynor sewer far in the black, very cool, can someone verify it, I can't use HD.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Also, I noticed that there is some sort of waterfall inside the draynor sewer far in the black, very cool, can someone verify it, I can't use HD.

I love finding these things, I'm on it as soon as I can get online again :D

You mean far in the back by the Anvil?

I'll just search the corners I guess.

mtafromdorgeshuun.png

I've seen that too and always wondered what that area actually is :?

Never thought MTA would be there, thought it would be in the Randoms/Quests area plane.

The KBD lair next to the Ikov ice maze was a pretty interesting find. I'll keep my eyes open for others!

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015

I took some pics but i lose them in a sudden computer crash (well i turned it off without realising i didnt save em =D> )

Anyways, the zanaris cosmic altar entrance is close to the evil chicken lair part you acces with a rope.

And the white knights training ground is next to the barrows maze, its not surprising they wouldnt take us there without blindfold ;)

And I spotted 2 otheres that were mentioned before (the abyss area - the real abyss and the starflower - ocean thing)

Technically, Java only supports 1D arrays. Higher dimension arrays can be done as arrays of arrays. Thus, there is NO limit to the number of dimensions you can have. For example, the following code makes a 3D integer array with size 5*5*5:

int[][][] stuff = new int[5][5][5];

(This can be thought of as an array of 2D arrays, which in turn are arrays of 1D arrays.)

Also, I don't know where you got 2D physical memory from, but again, computer memory is really just 1D. Pointers are essentially integers that refer to a certain place in memory. This is where the 4 GB memory on 32 bit systems comes from; 32 bits of data can hold at most 2^32 (4,294,967,296) different possible values.

My personal opinion is that JaGEX implemented the map as a single 2D array with stairs and similar things acting as "teleports" to a separate location in the array.

Wow, cool, didn't know any of that :D

Java is not my thing lol.

Added the following: Draynor Sewer, Bloodveld Dungeon/Barrows, Shade Tomb/Barrows

Lleyta picture changed as it is actually the Gnomecopter version.

Can't seem to upload the images people have posted recently, I'm trying tho ;)

[hide=Strange Waterfall near Draynor Sewers]vqs3sp.png[/hide]

Yes, thats the one I saw. Is anyone able to reconize it? New area/quest/city? :ninja:

zuzmo.png

collio.png