Lucky? How am I lucky?

tard53

Hello. this is a discussion about how people actually WORK to EARN their money.

I was just using a (borrowed) godsword at ankou. Then someone comes up to me and says, "wow you have a godsword! your so lucky!" even though it wasnt actually mine, this got me thinking. Somebody (probably) put their time and effort into getting this godsword. What part in that makes them lucky? Sure they could've gotten a good drop from a steel dragon. But some people, say, in hunter, work long and hard for that skill cape and in the process, make a little money. And again, I saw some noobs following someone with a summoning skill cape once in edgeville. Half of them were saying how lucky he/she was. They worked hard to get that and that is insulting to be called "lucky" if you worked hard to get something.

Heres another example of a conversation between my friend and some other guy.

(Scene, at ankou)

Friend:*pulls out sara sword*

other guy: woah you have a sara sword? how long did it take to get that?

friend: a long time by woodcutting, hunting and fighting

other guy: wow your so lucky!

Why? just why?

discuss!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . because people don't understand the concept of time.

When you see someone with some nice armor or weapons ("phat lewt"), most people think that they got this due to only one or two events, not from grinding for days/weeks/months/possibly years. Godsword? People assume that you did ONE THING to get 36 mil to buy it, not that you worked for weeks to earn that money.

Even with skill capes, people just don't think of time as an investment. They see that you have the cape NOW and their character doesn't, and so they assume you're lucky. Not that you worked much harder for it, just that you got luckier and somehow gained levels far faster and cheaper and more easily than they did.

Also, "lucky" is starting to become a generic compliment for some reason. Don't ask me why (because I don't know).

Dragoon_Z2.png

Dragoon_Z2.png

Yep, I said the same thing a few dozen combat levels ago, I never quite figured out why players said 'it isn't luck'. Now I reply in like to ever level 97 that says 'dude nice sgs lucky noob'.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I've never heard someone say it was lucky... it's not.

I bought my SGS for 90m after a month of non-stop Bandos'ing. Very boring, tiring "work" I suppose you could call it.

If anything, I'm UNLUCKY that it's dropped so much. :lol:

My net worth has come from 170m to a mere ~70m in just a few months because of price drops. :wall:

It's NOT lucky, but then again, this whole game is based on luck.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

I get that all the time. Whenever someone asks me a question they respond "Wow, you're so lucky" yet I fail to see the luck behind it. We could have someone who fishes 100k monkfish for 30m so he can buy a GS, but in others' eyes just be 'lucky' that he has it and they don't.

I think some of the people forget that excelling takes effort. Even in real life you'll run into that. Making good grades, you may be told "You're so lucky" even though it's largely due to the fact you work your butt off and they don't.

cliffside1ra5.png

I've never heard someone say it was lucky... it's not.

I bought my SGS for 90m after a month of non-stop Bandos'ing. Very boring, tiring "work" I suppose you could call it.

If anything, I'm UNLUCKY that it's dropped so much. :lol:

My net worth has come from 170m to a mere ~70m in just a few months because of price drops. :wall:

It's NOT lucky, but then again, this whole game is based on luck.

yeah +1 about the whole game being luck.

most of it anyway :-#

and that yes i agree that since you have it and they dont, they consider you luckier than them, but they could do just as much work as them to get the same item. juts takes time ;)

Admitting that you got that item because of hard work means that you are in some way better (i.e. more willing to work\smarter about what you do) then them. Lucky implies it was something that 'just happened' and could happen to them also.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

You hear the same thing about people in real life, for example world champions, rich celebrities, etcetera, etcetera. In the end, it all comes down to those who have achieved something, did so through hard work.

Then again, maybe you are taking the phrase too literally as well. Whenever someone say "you're so lucky" to me, I have been thinking that they may (perhaps sub-conciously) mean that I am lucky to have had the will and motivation to earn whatever it is they're calling me lucky for having, which they in turn lack. Or it's just a figure of speech, heh.

Or maybe it's just because we were always told that we were special, without any explanation to why, when we were young... :roll:

BlogofGlorySignatureFixed.gif

It could mean that they think you made your money off luck based drops, such as getting a Visage or a split from a Hilt drop. In that instance luck was involved, though not the only thing that gave you the money.

EDIT - Signature far exceeds our sig limits but since it's so colourful you can keep it.

It's a figure of speech boohoo. Besides everything does take a bit of luck. Possibly some luck that your spot wasn't taken while training or gathering resources? It's not that big of a deal.

I agree, its used a figure of speech, i say it alot.

Also agree that rs is almost entirely luck, heck the whole world is. From getting good hits on a boss monster, buying resources on g.e, finding an empty training spot, the world is mainly luck based.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I've heard some people say my 99 mining was lucky (I usually wear the cape). I mined for freaking months to achieve that level, for christs sake. Idiots.

Not that it annoys me that much... There are bigger idiots that roam the runescape world.

In my experience: Luck = Skill applied over Time (L = S * T)

To quote Samuel Goldwyn "The harder I work, the luckier I get."

It's easier to dismiss things as Genetics or Luck. Makes you feel better that you have no control in what you don't have.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Yep. One of the many irritations I have with other players while playing. If someone sees me, a level 137 with a Prayer cape on, they automatically will say something like, "Wow, a Prayer cape! You're so lucky! I wish I were you!"

Two things are wrong with that statement.

A. My Combat Level nor my Prayer Cape came from luck. They came from hours of working for cash and worshipping bones or killing monsters to achieve. And by hours, we're talking hundreds of hours. How can that be considered luck?

and B. It's not hard to "be me." Lots of players are my level and far above. It's not like I just one day logged in and Runescape said, "Congratulations! Here's 137 Combat, 8 Level 99s, and over 2,200 total levels!" I have spent almost 4 years and probably thousands upon thousands of hours playing this game to be where I'm at. While I don't regret the time I've invested in playing, I will say that I wouldn't "envy" me if I were on the other side of the fence. I have spent a lot of time in the past 4 years playing Runescape when I could have, say, been working, or whatnot.

Granted, that is not to say I don't still prosper. I made it to New York and am about to graduate from one of the best musical theatre conservatories in the country, so it's not like I've wasted my life away on RS. I just mean to say that I could probably be a lot further on in real life had I not been playing this damn addicting game for so long.

In short, I guess it's to say, lower leveled players, or players who are poorer than you or don't have as good of items as you, tend to think that one day you just appeared out of nowhere and had what you have now. In reality, you've just been playing longer and have probably worked harder.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

Was alching the other day and someone was asking a few questios about what I was alching and how much money I made etc and they used the "lucky" word on me which made me a little cross. I told them that I has chopped my own logs and fletched them into yew longs myself. Then I mined my own ess and crafter 55k natures. I then alched all of those yew longs into cash. He just couldn't not grasp that it was not luck that I had what I did, but that I had worked for it. *sigh*

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I just call people with goodlooking stuff lucky cause they have the luck to get money to afford it. And they're lucky to have it. Example: Partyhats. Insanely expensive, only the rich can afford to buy one and people who were around at the time of them being dropped are lucky to have one and not have sold it.

League of Legends Referal link: http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4e55a571778d2633364408

"Life is short, and shortly it will end, Death comes quickly which respects no one, Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one"

Drops: 8whips, 28dboots, 1hand cannon, 2 dmeds 3dskirts 2 dbows

99s(in order): Attack Constitution Defence

It's just a way of saying someone is very good for having that item. I play for years and I have never gotten a rare drop, I call that unlucky. So I guess whoever said that to you was just like me or they're just saying that as a way to praise you for your item(s) / skill(s). If the players got that item from skills, then I would say luck have nothing to do with it.. However, if they got it from a drop, etc.. then it would be consider 'Luck'.

It is just my opinion. No need to feel offended :D

~Bomb

back when i made this account, i got 65 mining on it and 19m, bought a green mask. a lvl 3 with green mask seems impossible to other people since they all called me a cheater/borrower/lucky noob

yet i spent like 3 weeks getting 130k pure ess. Its called hard work!

Sapor_ball.png

Sapor_Ball.png

Sapor_Ball.png

I know the feeling. I spend months fishing towards 99 fishing and i'm finally one level away, i'll have it within the week. Though for some reason that is luck. I bought a sgs and bandos with the money I got fishing sharks since 76, that's luck too. During the time i've been fishing i've had about 200k exp from genie lamps/books of knowledge. The max those ever give at one time is 1485 exp and that is with 99 in a skill. That is at least 135 tomes of knowledge at level 99. I suppose that is 'luck' as well.

If you have an bobble hat and scarf, that's luck as well. Though I don't like people regarding what i've worked hard for as luck, it doesn't bother me that much. I know it wasn't luck, I know it was my hard work. It is an accomplishment to me and if other people want to think I just lucked out, they can have fun doing that.

I know the feeling. I spend months fishing towards 99 fishing and i'm finally one level away, i'll have it within the week. Though for some reason that is luck. I bought a sgs and bandos with the money I got fishing sharks since 76, that's luck too. During the time i've been fishing i've had about 200k exp from genie lamps/books of knowledge. The max those ever give at one time is 1485 exp and that is with 99 in a skill. That is at least 135 tomes of knowledge at level 99. I suppose that is 'luck' as well.

If you have an bobble hat and scarf, that's luck as well. Though I don't like people regarding what i've worked hard for as luck, it doesn't bother me that much. I know it wasn't luck, I know it was my hard work. It is an accomplishment to me and if other people want to think I just lucked out, they can have fun doing that.

I did monks lol. Then I lost 15m when the price of everything I bought dropped while I was on a break. I'm lucky too :roll:

Well, personally I think you're reading it the wrong way. I highly doubt anyone says "lucky you" in hopes of discrediting your work, it's more of a euphamism than anything.

When i think of saying "you're so lucky" I'm more inferring that the person is lucky to have the opportunity to have an item, or achieve something great, I dont mean it in a derrogatory way at all, in fact I'm saying the person is lucky to have the ability to have that much money compared to my ability.

I wouldnt take offence, the person doesnt mean anything bad, they arent saying you didnt work, they're just showing envy of you being better.

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!