Do you like to read?

Joes_So_Cool

The point of the wandering in Deathly Hallows was fundamentally different from that in LOTR, because Sam and Frodo knew where they were going. The point of Harry, Ron, and Hermione rambling around the country was to show that they had no clue what they were doing or what to do next without the guidance of Dumbledore or anyone else. Rowling also used that opportunity to bring Ron's problems to a climax and stick in the Godric's Hollow visit.

I do agree, however, that these events were spread too thinly and the section could have benefited from some cuts.

p2gq.jpg

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point of the wandering in Deathly Hallows was fundamentally different from that in LOTR, because Sam and Frodo knew where they were going. The point of Harry, Ron, and Hermione rambling around the country was to show that they had no clue what they were doing or what to do next without the guidance of Dumbledore or anyone else. Rowling also used that opportunity to bring Ron's problems to a climax and stick in the Godric's Hollow visit.

I do agree, however, that these events were spread too thinly and the section could have benefited from some cuts.

But, when you look at it from another point of veiw, their rambling about with very little in the way of knowledge just made it all the more pointless.

Infact, they pretty much just came across each Horcrux by luck, even when they had a general idea of what they were looking for. At points, the story just seemed a repitition of the last chapter which basically stated "We don't know what to do, so we'll sit here, then move to the next isolated spot hoping to come across some inspiration".

Though, a film of Deathly Hallows could be redeemed on how they do the battle at Hogwarts. If thats done right, then it'll be a good scene for a battle.

Oh and rocco, I wouldn't say that you could argue that the Harry Potter series is one of the best written. LoTR vastly surpasses it, in a sense it goes into more detail, with at least 1 major event every 2-3 chapters, and it goes into far more detail, while remaining interesting during multiple read throughs.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

[hide=Spoiler Alert!]Harry owning Voldemort and the big Hogwarts battle.[/hide]

And another thing.You shoot me with a sniper shot to the head.Being folmer_veeman,I catch it (Die if you don't get it) and disarm you.Thusly,you die.Wait,wait.What?

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Yeah, but the two movies would have to be done perfectly, as not to leave a major cliffhanger during the gap between releases.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind going to see a 5 hour film, if it was worth it. I'd prefer it than going to see half of it, and leave feeling a bit ripped off, then having to return a few months down the line to see the second half. Besides, I would end the first when [hide=spoiler]Harry and Hermione visit Lily and James' graves[/hide].

It would give me the sense of an ending, without feeling that it ended too soon.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

And another thing.You shoot me with a sniper shot to the head.Being folmer_veeman,I catch it (Die if you don't get it) and disarm you.Thusly,you die.Wait,wait.What?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

I failed to get that. Shame on me. Someone get the beating stick, ASAP!

See his sig lul.Headshotcatcher.

But yeah its kind of stupid.All these years I have trained for this fight.Now I will kill with my disarm spell.I mean,if you don't want to use an unforgivable,at least use something more...Epic.

devilgod.jpeg

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

But, when you look at it from another point of veiw, their rambling about with very little in the way of knowledge just made it all the more pointless.

Infact, they pretty much just came across each Horcrux by luck, even when they had a general idea of what they were looking for. At points, the story just seemed a repitition of the last chapter which basically stated "We don't know what to do, so we'll sit here, then move to the next isolated spot hoping to come across some inspiration".

Though, a film of Deathly Hallows could be redeemed on how they do the battle at Hogwarts. If thats done right, then it'll be a good scene for a battle.

Oh and rocco, I wouldn't say that you could argue that the Harry Potter series is one of the best written. LoTR vastly surpasses it, in a sense it goes into more detail, with at least 1 major event every 2-3 chapters, and it goes into far more detail, while remaining interesting during multiple read throughs.

HP is no where close to being the best ever written. Good books, even great, and something I'm happy to have read and defend against haters, but there are far better books. Same goes for LOTR, really. It was Tolkein's life's work and invented the fantasy genre as we know it, but that tends to overshadow the actual merit of the books. Not to say they aren't very good, but not the best ever written.

Again, I agree that Deathly Hallows dragged in the middle. Cuts should have been made, but that doesn't make the point of those chapters any less except for not being as effective.

p2gq.jpg

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

I failed to get that. Shame on me. Someone get the beating stick, ASAP!

See his sig lul.Headshotcatcher.

But yeah its kind of stupid.All these years I have trained for this fight.Now I will kill with my disarm spell.I mean,if you don't want to use an unforgivable,at least use something more...Epic.

I think it was more... symbolic of Harry's unwilingness to actually kill another. Though, to be honest, it was kind of a wimpy way for an end. "Oh look, here comes a disarming spell with the ultimate wand, I better just go and pop my cogs right now"

Seriously, what sort of damage can that cause? Just disarming you for a few moments? Why did he just use a jet of water to blast a hole through Voldemort, or even stab his eyes with the wand. I mean, I know the wand is powerful, but it can't be that powerful, hell he should have at least aimed to stun.

Oh and N0M, I get where you are coming from about LoTR, but, its still got a better chance than HP of best the best series of books. The first few HP books were short, but they were great. However, then Rowling tried increasing the length of them, and really, it was all about the same thing, they don't know how to do something, and it takes several chapters with alot of non-related filler before they actually work on it and figure it out.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

So many fantasy authors fall into the trap of "AGH MUST MAKE LONGER", and I'd say Rowling is among them.

The Lord of the Rings movies are obviously some of the longest fantasy ones out there, but the books are a decent length. Not extremely long, but not ridiculously short.

The first few Harry Potter books were about the same length. That's one of the reasons I prefer them over the later ones.

Though it's all a matter of opinion (With exceptions), I place LotR a lot higher than HP.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

I'm with the sane people.

Harry Potter was great until about the beginning of the sixth. Then it ALL became about Harry's [cabbage] problems that nobody gives a flying [bleep] about, and everything spiraled down from there.

Ah well. I'm just waiting for the 8th book; "Dumbledore and Voldemort's Erotic Adventures."

I think I just disproved Rowling as an author.

...[bleep]in' Rowling.

Calvin.jpg

I'm with the sane people.

Harry Potter was great until about the beginning of the sixth. Then it ALL became about Harry's [cabbage] problems that nobody gives a flying [bleep] about, and everything spiraled down from there.

I'd agree with that, around that book is when I started disliking his character a lot.

Currently I'm reading some low quality action book. It may be written badly, but it's a fun read. It's by a man named Clive Cussler.

snowsigyy7.png

I bought it the day it came out.I see no point in waiting for a book.It was still worse than Goblet.Order through Hallows were just writing for sake of moar cowbell pages.

I can take me 3 days to read a good book of length 400/500 ish.It took me less than a day to read HP7,pages 700/800 ish.Tells me that these pages are quantity not quality.(Although I did get a nice book cover.Yay.)

devilgod.jpeg

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

You know, if the number of pages is the biggest problem people have with it, I suppose it's doing pretty good all things considered.

Half-Blood Prince is my favorite of the series. Just tossing that in the mix. I don't like the first few as much because they're too episodic and rather pointless in the long run. Except for a few loooooong foreshadowing moments (Harry's snitch he caught in his mouth, for example.) The series is really meant to be taken as a whole, and because there is so much meat in the later books the first three only make up like 20% of the total pages.

p2gq.jpg

I haven't read the last one, but the first few books are nowhere near as dark as the later ones, which I preferred.

Oooooh, darkness, my inner gothic-emo is waiting to be unleashed upon Rowling's genious !

No, but seriously, does anyone read any Kafka ?

Must have since, ( I think its complusory, for english, here it is anyway.)

No, but seriously, does anyone read any Kafka ?

Must have since, ( I think its complusory, for english, here it is anyway.)

I've got Kafka's complete works in my flat. I've read all the novels/novellas, but I haven't got through all his snippets and letters yet. He's fantastic, there's no doubt about that, but if we're talking about existentialist writers I think I prefer Camus.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

The Stranger, our teacher reccomended, but I was too lazy. #-o

Tell me, is it worth reading ?

Absolutely. It might even be one of my favourite books.

It's only a short little thing, so laziness shouldn't be an issue.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Ian McEwan is a great contemporary writer. He's very lyrical, a very good story-teller, and there's always a (disturbing) twist to his stories. On Chesil Beach is fabulous, and short, a good starting point. It tells the story of the first wedding night of a couple married in the fifties.

Harry Potter is great to read, but it's not great literature. Don't get me wrong, I loved reading the series, but in my mind, a book is only literature when it changes something about you or when it's a thing of beauty (in story, language, characters,...). Nothing big per se, nor does it have to have a lasting effect, but just making you look at the world a bit differently, adding a little something to your views or yourself.

What was the question? I couldn't be bothered checking it.

Honestly though, yes I enjoy reading, though I hate to admit it. Anything with an elaborate storyline, anything funny and anything strongly thought provoking gets me hooked on a book. The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a favourite. I'm still looking for The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne, I hear it has a pretty mind blowing twist.

dilo_1_2.png

It's what I do

6968.png

I'm not a big fan of books and reading but when i find a book interesting even if it's incredibly long I'd be likely to read it completely, I probably finish reading it within a week. However if a book doesn't catch my attention i feel incredibly bored. :-#