Do you like to read?

Joes_So_Cool

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Crichton was a great author, I've read Jurassic Park a few times, and Disclosure, that was brilliant.

Ever read Prey? One of my faves.

I've got that lying around somewhere, never bothered to read it. I agree on Jurassic Park and The Lost World, though.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Michael Crichton was a great author, I've read Jurassic Park a few times, and Disclosure, that was brilliant.

Can't believe I didn't mention Mr. Crichton. Prey was amazing, as was Disclosure (a book about office politics, interesting?! How the hell--).

I was so sad when I learned that he died.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

I read alot. But I download the books off The Pirate Bay or something... I don't have the money to buy books. :?

I've never thought about downloading books before...

I know! I spent all this time downloading movies and TV shows, then I realised books were being torrented too.

I tried to read Brave New World on my computer, stopped at the sixth page. I can't stand it. :|

I don't think you got far enough to really have a good opinion on it. The starting chapters drag a bit, but it does pick up around the time "The Savage" is really introduced, albeit he is probably more civilised by my standards.

Anyway, I'd reccomend

Catcher in the Rye

Harry Potter series

His Dark Materials series

LOTR

Brave New World (assuming you can get past the first chapter at least)

Cal

Alex Rider series

Thats all I can think of for now.

His Dark materials is very good, i agree. =D> Northern lights and whatnot, eh?

We'll sneak out while they sleep

And sail off in the night.

We'll come clean and start over the rest of our lives.

When we're gone, we'll stay gone.

Out of sight, out of mind.

It's not too late,

We have the rest of our lives.

Just finished reading "Secrets of the Monarch" - What the Dead Can Teach Us About Living a Better Life By Allison Dubois

It's a good book, even if it's not something you believe in there are some really valuable lessons about life.

A good book for someone who enjoys the TV Series "Medium"

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

I can't believe I forgot to mention this: House of Leaves. By far my favorite book ever. It's just like nothing I've ever read before. Parts of it, I think-though I'm not sure-are written in stream of conciousness, the author writing everything he thinks. I've been meaning to try out another one like that.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I read all the time. At the moment, I love Twilight, and I'm re-reading Inkheart & Inkspell because Inkdeath just came out

Russell Brand's autobiography was amazing, as was Anthony Kiedis'

And I finished Motley Crue's 'The Dirt' a while back, that was really good

::'

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

I've got that lying around somewhere, never bothered to read it. I agree on Jurassic Park and The Lost World, though.

You should make a pointed effort to find your copy of Prey. It's top-notch Crichton.

I own all of his works of fiction, and have read all but Eaters of the Dead - I'll get to that eventually, though.

I highly suggest them all though! Congo was amazing, too. As was Next, although that was a real mind-twister... it's scary to think about patenting gene sequences, and finding out that a corporation can own part of your DNA..

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Good books that I've read:

1984 & Animal Farm by George Orwell

The Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy

Don Qioxte by Miguel De Cervantes

Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

The Odyessy by Homer (of course)

The Ender's series (and Bean series) by Orson Scott Card

Eragon and it's sequels by Christopher Paolini are alright if you're looking for some generic fantasy

All I can really think of atm, might add some more later.

• 5 weeks later...
Eragon and it's sequels by Christopher Paolini are alright if you're looking for some generic fantasy

We being serious here?

But if you like the use of magic in there,seriously check out Spellsword by Tracy Hickman/Margaret Weiss (I forget which,they're usually together).Magic is like a currency and stuff,and its really interesting.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Wheel of Time series-my favorite fantasy series ever

Harry Potter-who hasn't read that by now

Twilight-they're fun reading

Inheritence-I like the idea of the series but author's choices annoy me a lot, as does Eragon himself

Farenheit 451-I liked author's commentary after book was best of all

Brave New World-book was interesting, and I got the extended version which i really enjoyed, about 100 pages extra of Huxley's world beliefs

To Kill A Mockingbird-I had to read that 9th grade but I never really understood why it was so great, it just seemed like another book to me

Any and all Star Wars books

Song of Lioness quartet was good, but I liked Jon better than George

Lord of the Rings-I love most of it but the Sam and Frodo parts I skip

revan-1.gif

What the hell? Why?

Those parts are the whole point of the books, the quest to destroy the ring.

Wandering through the wilderness complaining how bad the ring is gets boring. So I don't feel need to re-read those parts. I do enjoy the meeting with Faramir though.

revan-1.gif

What the hell? Why?

Wandering through the wilderness complaining how bad the ring is gets boring. So I don't feel need to re-read those parts. I do enjoy the meeting with Faramir though.

Don't read Harry Potter.

I've not read Point of Impact for daaaaaaaaaaays.I need to get it back from school =(

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I like to read...But I dont usually dont read much...

I dont know much books I would reconmend to you as I dont know you that much...But I would reconmend War of the Worlds. Awesome book. ::'

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

What the hell? Why?

Don't read Harry Potter.

Hah, thats true. Alot of Deathly Hallows is more pointless wandering than Return of the King and Two Towers, and if finishes too soon.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

ROTK and Two Towers are pointless wandering?

There's maybe only one chapter in RotK that I would classify as pointless wandering.

Though I admit I don't like The Two Towers that much. (Neither the book or movie - Or even the soundtrack) Though the Rohirrim are awesome...

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

ROTK and Two Towers are pointless wandering?

Well, I was more or less referring to how revan skips the Sam and Frodo parts...

But yeah, some parts do seem like more pointless wandering than anything. Not a bad thing, after all, I do like the detail into which Tolkien goes about the journey.

Honestly, I think that the book wouldn't be as great without the amount of detail that Tolkien goes into about Sam and Frodo's journey.

Whereas in Deathly Hallows, Rowling seems to have attempted this and failed. While Sam and Frodo kept moving, what was happening in Deathly Hallows? Sticking in 1 place most of the time, planning the next move. Got more repetitive the second time through than reading the entire LoTR series 4 times through.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198