Do you like to read?

Joes_So_Cool

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a lot, both in French and English. I used to read a lot of medieval/fantasy stuff like Eragon, but it's getting tiring. I'm starting to look into more interesting or less puerile things, like To Kill a Mockingbird for example. If you haven't already, you should read it. The first 10ish chapters have pretty much nothing happening in them, but you'll burn through the other 20.

You're reading the wrong kind of fantasy if you're reading Eragon.

That's all the fantasy I find at the local library though.

Your library kinda sucks then. I say look harder :P

branch_map_smaller.gif

Those are all branches from the aforementioned library. New York has around 70-80, and it's about 60 times bigger, so don't diss. :P

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

I'm prolly one of the biggest LOTR fans in this board. Only other person I can recall is GSW

I can think of at least one other ;)

Also; there are some booknerds at my school who are so rebelious, they DONT DO THEIR WORK

and read instead.

Hmm sounds a lot like me (except I still do get pretty good grades).

I read a lot, both in French and English. I used to read a lot of medieval/fantasy stuff like Eragon, but it's getting tiring. I'm starting to look into more interesting or less puerile things, like To Kill a Mockingbird for example. If you haven't already, you should read it. The first 10ish chapters have pretty much nothing happening in them, but you'll burn through the other 20.

You're reading the wrong kind of fantasy if you're reading Eragon.

Sorry but I agree :( Eragon is basically one book (or series, I should say) full of stolen ideas. You're better off reading works by J.R. Tolkein, Anne McCaffrey, David Eddings, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman or even watching Star Wars :?

I LOVE to read. When I can find books that spark my interest, I usually go through 700 pages a day. Then depending upon how good the book was, I usually read it again right after :lol: Some of my favourites include:

His Dark Materials series

The Lord of the Rings series / The Hobbit

The Da Vinci Code

The Harry Potter series

Pride and Prejudice

Chronicles of Narnia

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I suggest Flower for Algernon...

and no its not a chick book like the title would suggest.

Flowers for Algernon is not a book, it's a short story. IT is a good one,however. :)

When I went to high school there were always these nerds/book people who read during class, got bad grades, and were generally very condescending.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

Flowers for Algernon is not a book, it's a short story. IT is a good one,however. :)

It is both a novel and a short story. The novel makes some slight changes and expands on the short story. It is the same story though.

And yes it is very good.

p2gq.jpg

It is both a novel and a short story. The novel makes some slight changes and expands on the short story. It is the same story though.

And yes it is very good.

Bah, the novel is terrible in my opinion :lol:

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

Oh I like the short story better. The story just works so well in the short story format.

Short stories don't get enough love. I'll list some awesome ones:

Flowers for Algernon

Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge

The Things We Carried

The Black Cat, Cask of Amontillado, Pit and the Pendulum, anything else ever written by Edgar Allen Poe

Rain, Rain, Go Away, because it's so ridiculous. Isaac Asimov was a wacky dude. There's a crapload more short stories by him, that's just the one I always remember.

p2gq.jpg

Michael Crichton was a great author, I've read Jurassic Park a few times, and Disclosure, that was brilliant.

Michael Crichton is (*cries* was) my favorite sci-fi author. Jurassic Park is one of my top-10 favorite books of all time. I read it at least once every two months or so, followed by The Lost World. I highly suggest reading his memoir Travels. It's an account of his earlier medical training, his world-wide travels, and some interesting reading on his look into the "supernatural" side of life (seeing auras, meditation, etc.)

- - -

Teen fantasy-fiction is my favorite stuff to read, although I will literally read anything and everything. My book collection spans the spectrum: from books written for eight year olds, up to some pretty heavy, adult-geared novels.

I threw together a Top-10 Favorite Books list a few months ago... I'll go find it and include it. (It reallllly stunk to only pick ten!)

[hide=Top-10 Favorite Books]10. Interview with the Vampire by ANNE RICE - This book is amazing! It was the first book that I ever read about vampires, and every single new vampire book I read I find myself comparing it to "Interview." The entire "Vampire Chronicles" series is amazing, and I only narrowed it down to this book, simply because it's the first in the series. Please read it if you haven't already, and DON'T come to it with images of Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise in your head gag. (But do read Queen of the Damned with images of the movie in your head, because it is just a great movie to make fun of they adapted the book so ew. I can't type any more.)

9. The Blade Itself by JOE ABERCROMBIE - I first read this book for the first time quite recently (within the year) but it already found it's way onto my list! Once you read the book, you might find it odd to see me refer to it as "beautiful," but it really is one of the greatest fantasy books I've ever read (and that's ALL I read!) It contains everything that I think a great action book should: drama, amazing characters -- horribly cynical characters at that -- epic battles, magic, and a unique setting (among other things.) Besides, the characters drop the f-bomb like no other, and it makes me giggle just thinking about it. Oh, Nine-fingers..! (Please immediately read, and then go buy the sequel, "Before They Are Hanged." And you should probably just pre-order the third installment, "Last Argument of Kings." NOW.)

8. A Density of Souls by CHRISTOPHER RICE - It's no wonder why this book is so amazing: it's written by Anne Rice's son! Now, Chris Rice is NOT his mother, and their writing styles are on opposite ends of the spectrum. (So if you're not a fan of Anne Rice, don't come to this expecting it to be like her stuff.) This is the first of four books that he has written, and it's my favorite out of the four! This book is about murder and sex and relationships and glorious, glorious things, and it is so terribly dark (I think) that it affected what types of books I like to read! This was one of the first "real," non-fantasy books that I read.

7. The Thief Lord by CORNELIA FUNKE - This book makes me go "aww." But not really. Well, yes it does. It's an amazing tale of two boys who, upon a visit to Venice, decide to run away from their aunt and uncle (their parents died, and they're under their care.) In the twisting alleys of the city, they encounter a "gang" of other cast- and runaways hiding out in an abandoned movie theater. The group is led by a masked figure called the Thief Lord, a young boy whose ultimate dream is to become grown-up. That's the BASIC gist of the tale, without giving away the juicy twists. This book, while it was no doubt intended for people around age twelve (*sigh*) was an easy pick for my list! Please go read it. (you'll find it in the children's section at Barnes and Nobles)

6. First Test by TAMORA PIERCE - To clarify, this book is the first of the "Protector of the Small" quartet. The quartet as a whole is my second favorite by Tamora Pierce (see 4 for my favorite quartet.) Quick rundown to get the back story: it's recently been decreed that girls are now allowed to step up to the plate in trying to become knights of the realm. Pierce's most famous character, Alanna, was the first girl to achieve the rank of Knight. Since that day, no other girl has taken the challenge. Enter Keladry of Mindalen - Kel isn't like other girls: instead of sewing and housekeeping, she wants to become a fighting knight! Many trials follow Kel on her journey, and she easily became one of my favorite Tamora Pierce characters! Poor description of a book, I guess but you should just read it

5. Book of Shadows by CATE TIERNAN - YAY. That's the first thing I think of when I see this book on my shelf. The second is "Enya," but that's a long story in itself This book is the first in Cate Tiernan's "Sweep" series. (I highly recommend reading the entire series - it's only 15 books long, at about $6.99 a pop. Not too bad.) This book follows the life of Morgan Rowlands, your average high school girl entering her senior year. Then Morgan meets a new student named Cal, and he changes her life forever! When you get down to it, "Sweep" is a series about a group of high school students who study Wicca, and they eventually form their own coven. All of the characters (it switches POV throughout the series) encounter their own hardships, and the relationships between all of them are ever-evolving, dissolving, and re-forming. This series is one of my top three favorite series that I own! (You should have seen me, years ago, trying to hunt down all fifteen books I was in a blood-frenzy! Those damn elusive tomes!)

4. Sandry's Book by TAMORA PIERCE - This was the first book I ever read by Tamora Pierce (my favorite author.) It literally changed my life! This is the first book in her "Circle of Magic" series, and it focuses on four young kids -- Sandry, Briar, Trisana, and Daja -- who each find out that they can harness and use magic. While the title might imply otherwise, the book jumps around from character to character. It's such a great tale, that I can't really describe it too well! It keeps me on the edge of my seat (bed) every time I've read it, even though it is probably my second most-read book/series that I own. I highly, highly recommend reading ANYTHING by Tamora Pierce, and especially this book.

3. Jurassic Park by MICHAEL CRICHTON - I I love this book. I read the book after watching the movie (one of top five favorite movies off all time, coincidently!) so unfortunately whenever I read it, I'm always visualizing Sam Neil, Laura Dern, and Jeff Goldblum. But aside from that fact, it was the first book that I wrote down when creating this list! I have a sick obsession with this book, and whenever I can't choose a new book to read, my usual plan is to just re-read this one! I can't really count how many times I've read it, but I literally don't need to any more I know what happens chapter by chapter, nearly scene by scene If you like dinosaurs, you should read this. And if you don't like dinosaurs, you should read this so you CAN like dinosaurs. Because then you can go out and read "The Lost World" as well. Michael Crichton is one of my top-four favorite authors.

2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. ROWLING - My favorite Harry Potter book! I could write endless amounts of paragraphs about this book, but I'll spare you the somewhat embarrassingly juicy details (I have a twisted obsession with Remus Lupin -- Moony, where are you?! COME BACK!! *chases after his ghost.*)

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. ROWLING - While this book, in comparison to the other six, is smaller and less exciting (in a way) I still need to pay tribute to it. I bought this book in sixth grade, at the book fair at Wilson Elementary School. My life literally changed forever that day! I went from having a vivid imagination, to becoming a reader. As far as I can remember, this was the first book that I ever bought! It set me on the path to become a lover of fantasy fiction, and it inspired me to start writing my own fantasy fiction. Although there are a gazillion fans of the Harry Potter series, there are still many who don't like it at all. Well, I'm here to defend it, damn it, and to say that it's more than just a book. This book, no, this series defines my child/teenhood, 1999-2007. When I look back at all of the friends I had during those times, especially my pen pals, our relationships were greatly fueled by Harry Potter. So, while it might not be my favorite Harry Potter book of the series, it earns its place as 1 by making me who I am today! (That's the power of the written word, people!)[/hide]

Yeah... I'm a nerd.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

I'd like to say I read, but I don't. I've never found any meaning in reading (ooh rhyme).

If I do read though, it's usually non-fiction.

:shock: , I swore you were a supernerd who read all the time.

---

I read.. sometimes. I don't read those novel books, I read 'The Art Of...'

kind of books. :thumbup:

8888kev8888.jpeg

Sigs by: Soa | Gold_Tiger10 | Harrinator1 | Guthix121 | robo | Elmo | Thru | Yaff2

Avatars by: Lit0ua | Unoalexi | Gold Tiger .

Hello friend, Senajitkaushik was epic, Good luck bro.

I recommend Peeps by Scott Westerfield.

http://www.scottwesterfeld.com/books/peeps.htm

Uglies is interesting too.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

I got forced to read into Eragon because my moron of an ex (who btw gives me the SECOND book in the series) gives it to me for my birthday.

It's like Star Wars meets LOTR meets Harry Potter. Some cheesy [cabbage]. Obviously, I had to pretend I loved it.

You forgot "meets Dragonriders of Pern."

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I'd like to say I read, but I don't. I've never found any meaning in reading (ooh rhyme).

If I do read though, it's usually non-fiction.

Exactly the same for me.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

i've read a lot of banned books like To Kill a Mockingbird, and Fahrenheit 451. both were brilliant and somewhat inspired me even though i loathe reading.

I had to read those two books in the 7th grade. To be honest, I wish we didn't. No one really understood the points of the books as well as we would now.

maybe because i read those in highschool? :?

Yeah, it was just our teacher's fault that he got us into those books that early. At least he tried.

I never knew TKAMB was banned? We read that last year, it was really good, for a school book.

It's banned because it says [racist term] in it. [Edit] Ugh. Offensive term for a black person.

I absolutely love reading. Generally I prefer reading series of books because I get so into them and I hate it when a book ends.

Some of my favourites would have to be:

The LOTR series/The Hobbit

Harry Potter series

The Inheritance series (Yes I liked it, don't shoot me please)

The Chronicles of Narnia

The Rangers Apprentice series (There was one book I didn't like but overall it's good)

The Redwall series (Favourite out of all of these)

I also really enjoyed TKAM and Animal Farm.

30jlfk0.png

Thanks to InsanityV2 for the sig

An interest in reading does not mean an interest in the book that was there. Also, reading from a computer monitor is horrible.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

I never knew TKAMB was banned? We read that last year, it was really good, for a school book.

It's banned because it says [bleep] in it. [Edit] Ugh. Offensive term for a black person.

So does Huckle Berryfin. and we read that like 2 months ago.

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.