Do you like to read?

Joes_So_Cool

I'm currently reading To Kill A Mockingbird.

good book, its better if you arent doing it for school because you dont have to listen to someone explain it to you(not like you can miss much of the purpose)

I need to start building my collection of odd books to have

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently reading To Kill A Mockingbird.

good book, its better if you arent doing it for school because you dont have to listen to someone explain it to you(not like you can miss much of the purpose)

I second that.

I've heard of people who had to read it in school, I personally hate reading novels, or chapter books if you will in school just because of how often we have to stop and take notes or something unneeded along those lines. So far it's a really good book, I'm starting to like Atticus.

21ed8x.jpg

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

I've heard of people who had to read it in school, I personally hate reading novels, or chapter books if you will in school just because of how often we have to stop and take notes or something unneeded along those lines. So far it's a really good book, I'm starting to like Atticus.

that is because atticus is awesome

well here is what happens with to kill a mockingbird. As you get into the book you will see the theme is about racism being bad and how you shouldnt judge people. As true as this is, after spending the whole book having a teacher explain this to you your thoughts are "yes I effin get it hating black people bad hating [developmentally delayed]ed people bad stopping telling me I get it" to quote my own thoughts. The actual book is really nice, but when the theme is pretty straight forward it doesnt lend itself to school discussion

Brave New World <3: best book ever IMO works for school discussion because there is deeper discussion value. Yes, I did need to mention Brave New World because it is a great read and amusing to laugh at people it offends.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Currently reading A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin, from the series A Song of Fire and Ice. Was recommended to me by N0M, and I'm beginning to see why he recommended it. If anyone has ever read The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, you'll know the style that is used, switching back and forth between characters.

In school, for an ISU, I read Nineteen-Eighty Four, and loved it. I loved Orwell/Blair's use of simplicity, and the political element that it involved. Admittedly that project also lead to me being much more analytical of books, looking for examples of foreshadowing, etc. that make reading a book so much more enjoyable.

To answer the original question though, yes, I love reading. Fiction, Non-Fiction, it doesn't matter. In fact, I am reading Stephen Hawking's A Briefer History of Time. It just makes me want to read the original.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Anyone else here had their mind blown by 2001: a space odyssey?

I'm currently reading the dancing wu li masters, and it's an interesting book. Some parts are a little hard to understand but I guess that's common when reading about quantum physics :wall:

Brave new world deserves another mention, simply because of how it was written 80 years ago and the basic idea of it is seemingly coming true.

Hello Friend,

I like reading anceint indian book Karma Sutra. I read every night before going to bed. My great ancestor Madhura Kaushik write book many year ago. Good read, I recommend.

Good Luck Bro.

:pray:

Please don't leave this/these forum(s). You're hilarious.

I reccomend reading that first, although I didn't understand much of it, it made much more sense when I read it again. But I guess one could argue A Briefer Histroy of Time is much more accessible as it has any more detailed pictures.

I've heard of people who had to read it in school, I personally hate reading novels, or chapter books if you will in school just because of how often we have to stop and take notes or something unneeded along those lines.

But then again, in school you get a much better understanding and appreciation of the book. But if your school is as how you describe it, it must suck.

We just read the book within a week, and spend the rest of the term analysing it.

no, i try to read only when i need to learn something for school.

most of my friends are into the alex rider series. is it the books like

scorpian and stuff. there supposedly 'the best books EVER', or so they say.

IM+mos+DEF.png

Currently reading The Life of Pi

Great book.

[hide=Excerpt]There are two-toed sloths and there are three-toed sloths, the case being determined by the forepaws of the animals, since all sloths have three claws on their hind paws. I had the great luck one summer of studying the three-toed sloth in situ in the equatorial jungles of Brazil. It is a highly intriguing creature. Its only real habit is indolence. It sleeps or rests on average twenty hours a day. Our team tested the sleep habits of five wild three-toed sloths by placing on their heads, in the early evening after they had fallen asleep, bright red plastic dishes filled with water. We found them still in place late the next morning, the water of the dishes swarming with insects. The sloth is at its busiest at sunset, using the word busy here in the most relaxed sense. It moves along the bough of a tree in its characteristic upside-down position at the speed of roughly 400 metres an hour. On the ground, it crawls to its next tree at the rate of 250 metres an hour, when motivated, which is 440 times slower than a motivated cheetah. Unmotivated, it covers four to five metres in an hour.The three-toed sloth is not well informed about the outside world. On a scale of 2 to 10, where 2 represents unusual dullness and 10 extreme acuity, Beebe (1926) gave the sloths senses of taste, touch, sight and hearing a rating of 2, and

its sense of smell a rating of 3. If you come upon a sleeping three-toed sloth in the wild, two or three nudges should suffice to awaken it; it will then look sleepily in every direction but yours. Why it should look about is uncertain since, the sloth sees everything in a Magoo-like blur. As for hearing, the sloth is not so much deaf as uninterested in sound. Beebe reported that firing guns next to sleeping or feeding sloths elicited little reaction. And the sloths

slightly better sense of smell should not be overestimated. They are said to be able to sniff and avoid decayed branches, but Bullock (1968) reported that sloths fall to the ground clinging to decayed branches often.

How does it survive, you might ask.Precisely by being so slow. Sleepiness and sloth-fulness keep it out of harms

way, away from the notice of jaguars, ocelots, harpy eagles and anacondas. A sloths hairs shelter an algae that is brown during the dry season and green

during the wet season, so the animal blends in with the surrounding moss and foliage and looks like a nest of white ants or of squirrels, or like nothing at all but part of a tree.The three-toed sloth lives a peaceful, vegetarian life in perfect harmony with its environment. A good-natured smile is forever on its lips, reported Tirler

(1966). I have seen that smile with my own eyes. I am not one given to projecting human traits and emotions onto animals, but many a time during that month in Brazil, looking up at sloths in repose, I felt I was in the presence of upside-down yogis deep in meditation or hermits deep in prayer, wise beings whose intense imaginative lives were beyond the reach of my scientific probing.Sometimes I got my majors mixed up. A number of my fellow religious-studies studentsmuddled agnostics who didnt know which way was up, who were in the

thrall of reason, that fools gold for the brightreminded me of the three-toed

sloth; and the three-toed sloth, such a beautiful example of the miracle of life, reminded me of God.[/hide]

Its a fiction book.

• 3 weeks later...

I've started (litterally, only 5 pages last night) reading Mein Kampf.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I've started (litterally, only 5 pages last night) reading Mein Kampf.

Apparently it's absolutely dreadful. I've been meaning to read it, just to get some kind of insight, but there's better words for me to be filling my head with.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I kinda find it odd I enjoyed all the books I had to read for class this schoolyear...

Finished reading "Lord of the Flies" last week. Excellent book in my opinion. :)

It's not good after the 7th time reading it. :arrow:

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Click my signature for my blog!

I kinda find it odd I enjoyed all the books I had to read for class this schoolyear...

Finished reading "Lord of the Flies" last week. Excellent book in my opinion. :)

It's not good after the 7th time reading it. :arrow:

I would be annoyed by it, too, if I read it that many times.

The first few chapters were boring though.

Yeah, I like reading.

However, I can never find a book I can get into. :(

I find it amazing if I ever find a book I'm interested in.

Surprisingly, I've read over half the Twilight series...

Currently reading The Sound and The Fury by William Faulkner.

It's insane. The first section is from the point of view of a mentally challenged man, and so there is no conception of time. Far past, past, and present run together upon the same page, differentiated only by subtle character changes and sometimes, if you're lucky, a signifier like italics.

Next section is from the point of view of a suicidal man, and so similar problems occur. There is also a crapload of stream-of-consciousness writing as the person ponders his predicament. Several pages without punctuation--only idea after idea after idea. Exactly like how a person actually thinks.

So far, it hasn't been bad.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

Then how do you know a library doesn't have what you want? Libraries are filled with everything from the finest fictional literature to the trashiest chick lit.

Do you like fiction or non-fiction? Sci-fi, fantasy, romance? What things interest you?

I enjoy reading. Currently I am reading 1984 by George Orwell as a free reading book and Frankenstein by Mary Shelly for my Composition and Reading class. I like to have atleast 1 book that I can pick up whenever I have the time, but until recently most of my reading has been news articles. I've gotten back into though.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!