Historical Fiction

Kalphite

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

I really like reading historical Fiction (though I still prefer fantasy novels), but that isn't really the reason I posted this. For my History class I have to read a historical fiction novel that is not set in America. Any recommendations? (Sorry if I'm not allowed to post this or I got the wrong forum).

There's historical fiction set in America? Wut?

NOT set in America.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Scotland, 1945)

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer-Bradley (Britain, Arthurian legend) <-- *More towards historical fantasy*

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See (19th Century China)

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke (19th Century England)

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield (Greece, 480 B.C.)

- - -

Edit: They're organized in order of recommendation. Outlander is such an amazing book, but it's a bit heavy and lengthy. Also, it's definently a book geared towards adults - there's some intense stuff in it that might not be school-appropriate. The Mists of Avalon is one of my favorite books that I own. It is terribly long, but it's a really cool book. The other three were good reads.

Also, for the... whoever posted somewhere above... of course there are historical novels set in America >.> And historical fiction doesn't have to be a fictional story based around an actual event that occured in history - it can just be a fiction book set in a historical time period (ex., a fictional novel that takes place in the 60s could be considered historical fiction.)

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

NOT set in America.

I really like reading historical Fiction (though I still prefer fantasy novels), but that isn't really the reason I posted this. For my History class I have to read a historical fiction novel that is not set in America. Any recommendations? (Sorry if I'm not allowed to post this or I got the wrong forum).

Implies that there is historical fiction set in America.

Lurn2reedplx.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

Historical fiction is a fictional take on true events, usually with invented characters and small-scale plots set in the frame of a bigger, historically accurate plot.

The Never War, book 3 of Pendragon, is my favorite. Such a cool take on what might have happened.

p2gq.jpg

NOT set in America.

Implies that there is historical fiction set in America.

Lurn2reedplx.

:wall: I feel stupid.

and yeah N0M that book is pretty cool.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Well, if the movie "The Last Samurai" has a novel adaptation I believe that would fall under historical fiction. In honesty, Id go with something else posted above but if you really like samurai lol

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

I hate alternate fiction.I thought the Confedarates won the civil war.Stupid Guns of the South =(

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Historical fiction is a fictional take on true events, usually with invented characters and small-scale plots set in the frame of a bigger, historically accurate plot.

The Never War, book 3 of Pendragon, is my favorite. Such a cool take on what might have happened.

I remember reading that book a while ago. I think that was the first time I read a (sort of) alternative history book. It's kind of hard to think that if just one little thing happened differently, say, 100 years ago, the world might very well be a different place.

What if some important president, like abraham lincoln died as a child? Where would we be now? What if Hitler had never been born, and WWII never happened, etc.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Children of the New Forest - Frederick Marryat

Pretty good book about the English Civil War when King Charles was fighting the roundheads. The shootout was very gripping.

Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc - Mark Twain

Mark Twain imagines if he was a childhood friend of Joan of Arc and accompaning her during the 100-year war.

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

For those who don't know, historical fiction is a fictional book that has some kind of major event, so kind of event a history textbook would most likely contain. Like a book on a fictional war in Spain. that would be historical fiction. meanwhile a war in Narnia wouldnt be one.

My question is why read something that never happened in a history class???

My question is why read something that never happened in a history class???

Maybe to teach them to understand how life worked back then?

And if your teacher asked for historical fiction, stay away from alternate history. For example, try to get a fictional story about a soldier who fought in the world war.

Is Hisotry fiction or w/e kinda like about an event that happened the past, but from the perspective of people who were made up who were supposed to be there?

Doomy edit: I like sheep

Is Hisotry fiction or w/e kinda like about an event that happened the past, but from the perspective of people who were made up who were supposed to be there?

It can be.

Historical fiction is any book set in a specific period in history. It doesn't have to be based around an actual event or a person - people have the wrong idea by saying this. While most historical fiction novels are based around real events or people, it isn't a "must." All of the people and events in a story can be completely fabricated, but it can still be considered historical fiction.

For instance: with the novel The Mists of Avalon that I suggested a few posts up, almost all of the material was created by the author. It's deemed "historical fiction," however, because it is set in the time of the days of Arthur and his knights, and therefore, takes place during a historical time in history.

Hope that explains it somewhat.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

The Mists of Avalon?

Pardon me, but Marion Zimmer Bradley was building on material originally set out by Tennyson, Malory, and the oral traditions of the British Isles before them. And then she put a feminist slant on it. Good read, but hardly a case of "almost all the material was created by the author".

And I caution against treating it as historical fiction, because the "time of Arthur" is this ephemeral point in history that lies somewhere between the fall of Rome and the high middle ages.

As for actual historical fiction...

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Erich Maria Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front.

The Mists of Avalon?

Pardon me, but Marion Zimmer Bradley was building on material originally set out by Tennyson, Malory, and the oral traditions of the British Isles before them. And then she put a feminist slant on it. Good read, but hardly a case of "almost all the material was created by the author".

And I caution against treating it as historical fiction, because the "time of Arthur" is this ephemeral point in history that lies somewhere between the fall of Rome and the high middle ages.

As for actual historical fiction...

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Erich Maria Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front.

*sigh*

I won't bother.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

[hide=-.-]

Then don't.

Crap's sake, you have no right to be condescending just because I called you out for posting something in ignorance.

Re-read your own original post if you want to talk about being condescending, dude.

What gives you the right to "call me out" for "posting something in ignorance?"

You have no right to judge me and say I'm being ignorant, just because my views on literature genres differ from yours.

I apologize if my original comment of "I won't bother" was rude... but really... you shot me down for having a different view than yours in the first place.[/hide]

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Yeah, you ever seen the Pearl Harbor movie? Kinda like that

and damn lol, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today