list your top 10 favorite bands/artist

WookieeMania12

3. Opeth (but I quite honestly need more - I only have Windowpane, Bleak, Bridge of Sighs, and Porcelain Heart - recommendations?

Any of their albums basically.

My favorites are: Still Life, My Arms/Your Hearse, Blackwater Park and Damnation. I don't like Watershed at all except Bridge of Sighs.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, sorry I offended the metalheads. Like I said, much of the content of many of the lists mean nothing at all to me. Sorry if I classified them into one general category, because to me it all sounds the same. I don't care to sort through the subgenres of music I don't like. So lay off.

No order. You won't find any obscure death metal on my list . . . Which is why I find these topics boring most of the time. For some reason people on the internet have an overwhelming tendency to listen to loud noise with names I've never heard of. Most of these lists are meaningless to me. (Except Lenticular's. High-five.)

Oh, you definitely weren't trying to offend anyone there.

The point that everyone is trying to make is not that we listen to more types of metal than death metal, but rather most of the bands of these lists aren't metal at all. Though I admit, mine is probably about half metal, many of the other metalheads here, if you actually look through their lists, have tons of stuff that isn't metal (see Nadril's and Silversword's lists, for example. Though I certainly wouldn't have said anything like Silversword did, I really think that you could find yourself liking some of these nonmetal bands. It's fine to not like metal, but stepping on someone else's tastes is not cool.

For example, I highly would recommend the band The Butterfly Effect[/i] to you. They are an excellent, highly Muse influenced alternative rock band, something that seems like it would be right up your alley. However, I'm guessing you won't bother listening to the song, seeing as it comes from a metalhead who only listens to loud noise with names you've never heard of before.

Get Blackwater Park first, then Damnation, followed by Ghost Reveries I might be a freak of nature, but I don't care too much for Still Life.

Gee, sorry I offended the metalheads. Like I said, much of the content of many of the lists mean nothing at all to me. Sorry if I classified them into one general category, because to me it all sounds the same. I don't care to sort through the subgenres of music I don't like. So lay off.

Let me repeat that last phrase: Lay off. How is this:

So basically, you decide to express your disdain for people who listen to something other than piss-poor radio-friendly rock? Sorry bro, but I suggest you brush up on both your facts and musical taste before you come here and condemn people that a) have some variety, and B) enjoy metal.

The pultrichude and depth of death metal is amazing, and I suggest you listen to some before you call it "loud noise". Ahahaha, loud noise it is not, broseph.

any better? You're calling my music piss-poor. Ahahaha, piss-poor it is not. I have no ability to recognize variety in all the subgenres of metal or even a single subgenre, because it is not appealing to me. But for some reason you guys claim the right to call the music I do enjoy worse than yours, because you don't enjoy it. Double standards much?

I do sincerely apologize if I mislabeled any bands listed, but what I said was not meant to be taken as an absolute blanket statement. I thought that was obvious. And what you guys may call soft . . . really. Perspective. I don't like metal enough to listen to these humble bands, much less delve into whatever is hardcore or whatever according to your standards.

I decided to call you out and answer with my own faked ignorance, because simply put, you called metal 'meaningless'. Sure there's a lot of variety in metal and there's really, quite honestly something for everyone to enjoy. And to be honest your music is significantly "harder" than a good 70% of what I listen to these days. I get where you're coming from, but I get really worked up [as a former hardcore metal devotee] when non-metalheads really get on their high horses and call metal 'mindless noise'; sure, there's vast amounts of ultra-[cabbage] metal as there is any other music [Trivium, Cannibal Corpse, Dream Theater, anyone?], but it just happens that these ultra-[cabbage] metal bands are the ones that get all the publicity for being really [bleep] and easily accessible. No wonder they put people off.

Hardcore? Me? I don't listen to metalcore or hardcore. I have no standards for music - as far as I give a [bleep] about, everyone can get on with their own music as long as they don't force it down my throat. I was simply calling you out - I remember reading a post of [possibly, someone with similar taste] yours before, and I felt similarly about it then, but I didn't bother calling you out because I thought youor whoever it was would think again before making a blanket statement like 'lol everyone's soooo hardcore xD! br00tal death metals that are obscure!'

Oh and just so you know - if you knew what I listened to [link in sig] you would've known better than to take my condemning statement to heart.

Also, I must apologise for my shoddy, shoddy English - 11:25pm here and I'm really tired.

1. Metallica

2. Iron Maiden

3. Slayer

4. Red Hot Chili Peppers

5. Nirvana

6. Tool

7. Mercyful Fate

8. Pink Floyd

9. Led Zeppelin

10. Suicidal Tendencies

Wow, only two unpopular bands in my list. :P I'm such a conformist.

NOM, I would do yourself a favor and really try and explore some of the bands other people have posted. Going beyond what you normally listen to is great, I can't understand why someone would want to stay within a familiar and "safe" zone. And you'll find that most of the stuff everyone has posted shy's away from these harsh vocals you can't stand, or aren't even really metal at all (I.E share very little in common with it).

sure, there's vast amounts of ultra-[cabbage] metal as there is any other music [Trivium, Cannibal Corpse, Dream Theater, anyone?], but it just happens that these ultra-[cabbage] metal bands are the ones that get all the publicity for being really [bleep] and easily accessible. No wonder they put people off.

Excuse me, but I have a bone to pick with you on a couple things:

1. Putting Cannibal Corpse, Dream Theater, and Trivium in the same category of ultra-[cabbage] metal bands will not pass off as thought-provoking if thats what you are trying to do.

2. Just because I like Trivium and especially Dream Theater does not mean I have been "put off" just because they are "easily accessible". Dream Theater has a vocalist that is hard to get used too when you first hear Dream Theater (since a lot of times he does not uses growls). Trivium is easier getting used to if you listen to a lot of metalcore, but it doesn't mean they are terrible (as most of the tip.iters seem to believe). I think you may be lost on metal bands that aren't as "extreme" as death metal bands. To be honest, it helps listening to stuff other than death metal. Then next time your arguments wouldn't be as poor. Before you say that I never listen to death metal, I enjoy Death, Napalm death, Atheist, Malevolent Creation, Carcass, etc.

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

There is no use arguing Wookiee, those 3 bands suck. And I doubt that SilverSword was talking about "extreme" bands when he said they are hard to get into. I'm guessing he more of meant work such as Maudlin of the Well which is very hard to understand.

NOM, I would do yourself a favor and really try and explore some of the bands other people have posted. Going beyond what you normally listen to is great, I can't understand why someone would want to stay within a familiar and "safe" zone. And you'll find that most of the stuff everyone has posted shy's away from these harsh vocals you can't stand, or aren't even really metal at all (I.E share very little in common with it).

I go beyond what I normally listen to all the time, I've recently started to appreciate more R&B, techno, even some rap (but none of them in their really pure forms.) Heavier music just isn't my thing.

But as I said before I know that not all of the bands posted would fall under that category. I recognize and enjoy quite a few of them. Some I recognize by name as being exactly the kind of music I don't like, and others I haven't heard of at all (like almost all of Intriguing's list lol), but that does not mean I'm ignorant enough to discard them. So I may, when I find the time, follow a few of these helpful links.

Hardcore? Me? I don't listen to metalcore or hardcore. I have no standards for music - as far as I give a [bleep] about, everyone can get on with their own music as long as they don't force it down my throat.

Second sentence, agreed 100%. I don't care that anyone listens to music that I don't like. I doesn't affect me. The only reason I expressed my dislike in this thread was because I saw quite a few said bands and found it to be supporting evidence that a heck of a lot of people on the internet are metalheads. So I expressed the sentiment.

And your first sentence, I didn't mean it like a genre or anything. I know nothing about that, remember. I just meant whatever was considered "heavy" to the desensitized ears of those who listen to it regularly. And don't kill me about the word "desensitized," there's a thread discussing that exact thing and no one is taking offense.

On the subject of taking offense . . .

Oh, you definitely weren't trying to offend anyone there.

I wasn't. People need to stop taking their music so seriously.

p2gq.jpg

in no particular order

1) Klaus Schulze

2) Slowdive

3) Manilla Road

4) Brian Eno (and his various collaborations)

5) Alfred Schnittke (his first symphony is breathtaking and mindblowing!)

6) Cluster

7) Pagan Altar

8) Burzum

9) Autopsy

10) Sacramentum

meh, this is the majority of my listening these past few weeks. obscure death metal as always - ziiiing.

p915h.gif

Man I always forget about Burzum. I love his work, I just never listen to it that much. :lol:

I go beyond what I normally listen to all the time, I've recently started to appreciate more R&B, techno, even some rap (but none of them in their really pure forms.) Heavier music just isn't my thing.

But as I said before I know that not all of the bands posted would fall under that category. I recognize and enjoy quite a few of them. Some I recognize by name as being exactly the kind of music I don't like, and others I haven't heard of at all (like almost all of Intriguing's list lol), but that does not mean I'm ignorant enough to discard them. So I may, when I find the time, follow a few of these helpful links.

I can relate to that though. The Rap thread I've read through and, while I'm sure I would love a lot of the stuff that was posted, I just don't have the will to really look further into it yet. Of course I wouldn't consider myself a metalhead either (ugh, hate that term :P) because I try and listen to a good variety of music. I find that there is always something in each of these genres that is worth listening to. :)

What's wrong with a bit of the corpse Nadril? :P I like some of their stuff.

On another matter, I don't really consider myself a metalhead either. The only form of metal I have a significant taste for is death metal, and even some of that I find pretty crappy and derivative. There's plenty of good music out there beside just metal.

Being a metalhead to me seems to be more about the stereotype of having long hair, going to gigs every week and wearing band tees everywhere. I don't fit into any of those categories.

3. Opeth (but I quite honestly need more - I only have Windowpane, Bleak, Bridge of Sighs, and Porcelain Heart - recommendations?

Damnation is incredible.

Some I recognize by name as being exactly the kind of music I don't like, and others I haven't heard of at all (like almost all of Intriguing's list lol), but that does not mean I'm ignorant enough to discard them. So I may, when I find the time, follow a few of these helpful links.

Just saying, incase this is relevant, only four of the bands on my list are at all Metal. And two of them are a lot closer to Ambient than Metal. :)

Cool.

What's wrong with a bit of the corpse Nadril? :P I like some of their stuff.

On another matter, I don't really consider myself a metalhead either. The only form of metal I have a significant taste for is death metal, and even some of that I find pretty crappy and derivative. There's plenty of good music out there beside just metal.

Being a metalhead to me seems to be more about the stereotype of having long hair, going to gigs every week and wearing band tees everywhere. I don't fit into any of those categories.

Crap. I wear band tees, and try to go to concerts when I can. But I have short hair. And every band shirt I have is happy and from the 70's.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

My hair pretty short,it just barely hits my eyebrow.I only have four band shirts (two of which are missing) and I've only been to a Kraftwerk concert.Last year.My first one.Its not even metal.

Though April I might see DragonForce. :roll:

I contradict my stereotype,even.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Hello Friend,

I have only know Britney Spears. She pretty westerner.

I have my preference for favorite Indian singers.

1) Anmol Malik

2) Megha Srasri

3) Rahul Saxe (he instrumental in bring sexy back)

4) Vasumathi Badrinathan

5) Shailendra Singh (she go out with my brother Sumit and make me famous for 3 months).

Good Luck Bro.

Ranked #1 Farming in India.

Baby I Just Here to Spread the Love.

I only like the dances we get in Bollywood shows,sorry.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

From Last.Fm:

1. Foo Fighters

2. Red Hot Chili Peppers

3. The White Stripes

4. Eagles of Death Metal

5. Wolfmother

6. The Smashing Pumpkins

7. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones

8. Audioslave

9. John Frusciante

10. Jack Johnson

But I think it's more like this:

1. The Black Keys

2. Eagles of Death Metal

3. Foo Fighters

4. Red Hot Chili Peppers

5. Queens of the Stone Age

6. John Frusciante

7. The Smashing Pumpkins

8. The Answer

9. Rush

10. The Who

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

Most of the metalheads I know have short hair - but they do conform to the other two.

I myself have long hair, and I dislike going to gigs unless my friends ask me to.

D: how do you dislike going to gigs.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Most of the metalheads I know have short hair - but they do conform to the other two.

I myself have long hair, and I dislike going to gigs unless my friends ask me to.

I like to chillax at home with a beer, not stand in a crowd and get crushed. ;_;

I like to chillax at home with a beer, not stand in a crowd and get crushed. ;_;

Get enough beer (or common contact highs, looking at YOU Dave Matthews) and you don't care. >:l

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I would like Rock more, but its hard to follow. And I like a lot of Rock songs, but its hard to remember them all. Since Im already way into Hip Hop and Rap, its easier for me to follow. If I followed Rock more, Id still like Hip Hop and Rap more. But Ive been reading this thread, and Ive remembered a lot of the songs I liked. So this thread helped me =). Thanks!

I would like Rock more, but its hard to follow. And I like a lot of Rock songs, but its hard to remember them all. Since Im already way into Hip Hop and Rap, its easier for me to follow. If I followed Rock more, Id still like Hip Hop and Rap more. But Ive been reading this thread, and Ive remembered a lot of the songs I liked. So this thread helped me =). Thanks!

what do you mean to follow....?

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Top 10 Bands would probably be

1.Bloc Party

2.Ben Folds

3.Cut Copy

4.Birds Of Tokyo

5.The Herd

6.The Grates

7.Death Cab For Cutie

8.Vampire Weekend

9.British India

10.The Wombats

Though my Top 10 songs are

1.Halo by Bloc Party

2.Pogo by Digitalism

3.D.A.N.C.E by Justice

4.Lazy Eye by Silversun Pickups

5.Fans by Kings of Leon

6.Ice Cream by Muscles

7.Window and the Watcher by The Butterfly Effect

8.Don't Fight It by The Panics

9.Propane Nightmares by Pendulum

10.Hearts On Fire by Cut Copy

I actually got really bored over the summer(Aussie Summer btw) and made a playlist of my 100 favorite songs and put them in order :geek: