The Last Frontier of Runecrafting: The Soul Altar

whatisup618

Perhaps with the introduction of a new spell book that requires large volumes of soul runes? I don't think its likely but it could be a possibility...

Actually, they might not even need a new spell book for that.

65 - Water Wave (Blood Rune)

70 - Earth Wave (Blood Rune)

75 - Fire Wave (Blood Rune)

80 - Air ??? (Soul Rune)

85 - Water ??? (Soul Rune)

90 - Earth ??? (Soul Rune)

95 - Fire ??? (Soul Rune)

If something like that occurred, it would certainly create a demand for them since the spells would probably hit in the 26-30 damage range.

dawnsigblue-3.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comment about the ice, but if you'll notice the last two altars were DEEP UNDERGROUND. I think the soul altar will follow that pattern, and I agree it will probably be in the desert. For some very odd reason it seems to fit, although from a logical standpoint it makes no sense. We've already got an altar in an icy area and that's Lunar. I have a feeling the next desert quest (perhaps 150?!) will reveal the Soul altar in a HUGE DANGEROUS CAVERN below Menaphos. :)

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Currently I think the best option is Elemental Workshop. The whole mind, body and soul thing fits almost perfectly. Whether it's going to be in part 3 or part 4 is another thing.

As for souls. They are worthless currently to most players. I was hoping that Summoning would have provided a use for them (souls of creatures) but sadly this didn't happen.

My only hope is Jagex have realised mage is underpowered and either release a 4th spellbook which uses soul runes or release 4 more elemental spells using soul runes to re-address the balance.

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!

Elemental Workshop IV.

Elemental Workshop I and II gave us the Elemental and the Elemental Mind equipment. We all know that there's going to be an Elemental Workshop III because of the Body doors that "are locked... for now". Then there's the mantra "Mind, Body and Soul", which may hit at Elemental Workshop IV, in which we learn to create Soul items. I know this is pretty far fetched, but it's possible, no?

I like this theory.

But, if they release the soul altar, maybe they should release new soul spells..

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

I don't think it will be, but I'd love it if it was way south, but not in the desrt, but at the Cursed Archipalego with Rabid Jack. No one would see it coming in the Pirate quest storylines. Maybe it would also explain all the undead pirates.

...Plus, we could use Soul runes to do some necromancy. Not a skill mind you, but a few spells in a spellbook.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

i dont see why we need a soul altar, There is no demand. The supply would drive the price down to the floor.

Simply enough, there's not anything in the game that *really* adds a constant flow of soul runes to the game. Monsters drop them, but usually in 4s and 5s.

If the Soul Altar were released, people would use them more. Remember bloods? 500 gp each and people wouldn't use them to train magic? Now they are 275 each and people use them in place of deaths for faster magic training. This is simply because of the release of the Blood Altar. It's the fastest rc exp in the game if you're making your own runes for profit, and not using the ZMI or runners. Because of this people make deaths for a nice balance of exp + profit. This creates more bloods in the economy, and more people people use them as there is a steady, cheap flow of them.

Souls will essentially be similar to this, only souls aren't attacking runes. They're just used for the stat lowering spells. Yet, still, I predict more use. The price will be lower, but there will be more use.

Actually they are used for attack spells, Blood Barrage, Shadow Barrage, and the PVP Zuriel spells use them.

Many ideas of where it could be have already been said, but brianite's idea of new soul regular mage book spells is excellent if they ever release the soul altar. Maybe these could hit up to 35 to give mage an excellent boost?

I would hope that the new quest would result in the ability to add a soul rune to whatever attack spell you cast from the normal spell book to boost its max hit. Would help balance the combat triangle and create a larger demand for soul runes to go with the increased supply.

Trolling by giving good advice since April 2011.

The Blog - Currently Cleaning Herbs

Bladewing.png

I just realized that all members' altars and 5/6 of f2p ones are at a place which has something to do with the altar's name.

Cosmic: Zanaris, perfect place for it, after all it's a pretty odd place... just like "cosmic" stuff

Chaos: Wilderness is chaos (or used to be at least)

Astral: Lunar Isle. Simple.

Nature: In middle of jungle, certainly nature

Law: 'kay, this is a hard one... but Entrana seems to be the only place in Gielinor with clear laws...

Death: Isn't that place pretty deadly? Both Iban and the plague were very close to the location of the death altar, and also Regicide quest was near it and so...

Blood: May have something to do with the blood that the people in Meiyerditch give to Vyres

ZMI: The place is filled with worshippers of Zamorak

And F2P:

Air: No idea.

Mind: The Oracle is near it

Water: It's at a very wet place

Earth: May have something to do with the Digsite...

Fire: It's at a very hot place

Body: Barbarians have a strong body

But Soul...? Kinda hard to say anything, we'll hopefully see.

It wont be from wgs, that would make some high lvl runecrafters who have low cb stats or dont like quests really mad.

Now I'm sure I son't speak for everyone, but I'm sure that I speak for a lot of people when I say: "Screw Skillers!" :twisted:

... thank you. :geek:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

It wont be from wgs, that would make some high lvl runecrafters who have low cb stats or dont like quests really mad.

Now I'm sure I don't speak for everyone, but I'm sure that I speak for a lot of people when I say: "Screw Skillers!" :twisted:

The reason that I think that it won't be from the WGS storyline is that it's a reward (Soul Altar) that would fit in with so many other different storylines.The rewards from the WGS storyline would have to be somewhat amazing and imo the soul altar wouldn't fit there.

[hide=Stats/Goals And Drops]66evilone67.gif

66evilone67.png

66evilone67.png

66evilone67.png

3 - Black Mask

3 - Dragon Med Helm---1 - Dragon Boots---1 - Dragon Spear

5 - Granite Maul[/hide]

Now I'm sure I son't speak for everyone, but I'm sure that I speak for a lot of people when I say: "Screw Skillers!" :twisted:

First off, thanks everyone for contributing to this thread. There are great ideas here!

And relating to this quote, WGS was not very hard when compared to its title of "Grandmaster". I mean sure, the last fight takes some planning but thats about it other then its length, which in reality is not long at all. And I even did WGS without using a guide, except for the final fight. ;)

Whatisup618.png

whatisup618.png

Proud Owner Of A Quest Cape As Of 4/29/08

I just realized that all members' altars and 5/6 of f2p ones are at a place which has something to do with the altar's name.

Cosmic: Zanaris, perfect place for it, after all it's a pretty odd place... just like "cosmic" stuff

Chaos: Wilderness is chaos (or used to be at least)

Astral: Lunar Isle. Simple.

Nature: In middle of jungle, certainly nature

Law: 'kay, this is a hard one... but Entrana seems to be the only place in Gielinor with clear laws...

Death: Isn't that place pretty deadly? Both Iban and the plague were very close to the location of the death altar, and also Regicide quest was near it and so...

Blood: May have something to do with the blood that the people in Meiyerditch give to Vyres

ZMI: The place is filled with worshippers of Zamorak

And F2P:

Air: No idea.

Mind: The Oracle is near it

Water: It's at a very wet place

Earth: May have something to do with the Digsite...

Fire: It's at a very hot place

Body: Barbarians have a strong body

But Soul...? Kinda hard to say anything, we'll hopefully see.

Yes, you have good points. I agree with all your logic, and to enforce your reason for the law altar's location - it's definitely an obvious one. As for air, the area where it is is an open, airy place so I suppose it makes sense. Also, nice idea for the mind altar, I never thought of the Oracle before. Nor did I think of the Digsite for the earth altar.

Blood was also a no-brainer. I predicted its location pretty easily, years ago. I'd like to see some replies on the location of the soul altar, though. Let's think hard... what place in RuneScape screams "soul"? For some reason whenever I hear soul altar I think of the elves and Tirannwn, but that makes no sense whatsoever. All the ones Tiigon mentioned here make absolute sense. No doubt soul will as well... we just need to think.

By the way, the last two altars have been underground... as soul is the very highest level altar I think there's no doubt it will also be underground.

To be fair, I'll start us out with a guess: Menaphos/Sophanem dungeon. That place seems pretty dangerous, and there's the Devourer near there. She devours souls, doesn't she? Also, the ancient Egyptians were all about souls and the afterlife and that sort of thing, so it sort of makes sense to me that it would be somewhere in the desert. And a mysterious place like Menaphos having been closed for so many years must mean something, eh? It's nearly as old as Prifddinas...

The last frontier is obviously the sea. We still havn't gotten into Sailing which should come out by July 14th according to a formula I have devised. It includes the dates of every update and significantly is based on new skills and major updates. Of course it's only a matter of time until my formula is proved right. It's so obvious.

The last frontier is obviously the sea. We still havn't gotten into Sailing which should come out by July 14th according to a formula I have devised. It includes the dates of every update and significantly is based on new skills and major updates. Of course it's only a matter of time until my formula is proved right. It's so obvious.

I HIGHLY doubt Jagex releases updates based on formulas of any kind, but I'd like to see this one of yours...

I HIGHLY doubt Jagex releases updates based on formulas of any kind, but I'd like to see this one of yours...

Hellbellz, you left these behind. I think you forgot to put them in

[sarcasm][/sarcasm]

I like the idea of the Cursed Archipelago proposed earlier, which could explain all the zombie pirates (after stumbling upon the power of the Soul Altar). If I had to put my money on a location though, I'd go with the new cave near the Chaos Altar in the deep wilderness, as Jagex makes the walking time to each subsequent altar longer and longer...

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Some people have touched on it already, and I tend to agree: the current demand would not support making the runecrafting of soul runes worthwhile. Like nats, even if they are easy to make, they'd fetch a very low payout in profit over essence price.

If Jagex were to release higher level spells within the normal spellbook that used souls (as one person mentioned), that could drive up demand, but it may also destroy the usefulness of ancients (at least from a one-on-one perspective).

My expectation is that it will be released in a normal, non-grandmaster storyline (like the blood altar) with relatively little applause some time in the near future. Based on map spacing, unknown territories (like the archaeology hinted forgotten lands), the Sophanem area, Piscatoris / Gnome lands, or deep wilderness are all plausible locations for the altar.

Sadly, I can't imagine it having the impact it would have made 3 years ago, or longer, when ancients were released.

stormveritas.png

I'd like it to co inside with a Ancient Magic book update.

The Lunar book has had a big update in the last year or so, but Ancients has only had a slight update (the 2 or 3 PvP spells).

The normal spell book is getting a bit over crowded to add any more spells to.

The only trouble is Soul Runes are basically a higher version of body runes so adding combat spells (ones which damage) which use them as the main rune wouldn't work right.

The issue is how do you create spells which use soul runes which everyone will want to use?

The only real way I can think of doing it is to create a set of super drain spells, where the stats are drain like they normally would be only to a 3x3 area. This way they become more practical, they have more use in PvP, help with the CT, clan wars and most mutli-combat areas (think rock lobsters, one or two casts to reduce the magic/defence then burst or barrage).

The location should be somewhere on the southern side of the map, as all the lower alters are along the middle and top with the higher ones being on the lower half of the map.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

What I would really like to see with this..

Is the Miasmic spells changed.

1) Miasmic spells would only have a 50% chance to slow ONLY melee attacks

2) Miiasmic spells could be cast WITHOUT the Zuriel staff. Only the Zuriel staff can auto-cast the spells.

This update alone would cause a huge demand for soul runes.

[/dreamforagoodupdate]

dawnsigblue-3.png

What I would really like to see with this..

Is the Miasmic spells changed.

1) Miasmic spells would only have a 50% chance to slow ONLY melee attacks

2) Miiasmic spells could be cast WITHOUT the Zuriel staff. Only the Zuriel staff can auto-cast the spells.

This update alone would cause a huge demand for soul runes.

[/dreamforagoodupdate]

I think it slows both Melee and Range attacks, up to a point where you can be jumped by someone else while your opponent reloads his Dark Bow.

Zuriel's Staff is also much cheaper now, going for 1.2M a pop, making it not a bad swap weapon.

Still, it would be nice to see a change to Miasmic spells, making them much more accessible, but it's probably more likely that they'll release a more Soul-intensive spell set.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Sadly, I can't imagine it having the impact it would have made 3 years ago, or longer, when ancients were released.

Same as with D Plate really. JAGeX always waits too long to release "big stuff". They should have released it when the images of the tally's leaked...

priest_wiz.png