"Eww, you play RuneScape?"

JustPokemon

I dont say I play runescape at school, not because people go haha you're a nerd or anything, (just shows how much they love their halo 3) but because people think they're better than you, dont leave you alone, ask you astounding numbers of questions, say they'll "hack you" (even if you didnt say your name. Yes it has happened, people think they can do it rofl..)

I dont need a siggy no moar.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have told several of my friends about runescape, a few of them even played for a while, but most of them have quit now. I really don't care if people know that I play runescape, but then again I'm not one of the people who tends to get picked on. Something runs through people's minds when they think about annoying me; I'm guessing it's close to this: "Don't bug the scary looking metalhead kid who's taller than you and probably eats babies."

Anyway, I don't care, I enjoy runescape, I won't let them ruin my fun.

May fate be kind to you, my friends.

There are some really low self esteems in here. If people ask tell them yes, if they try and insult you for it tell them "**** you". Its all about portraying self confidence, that's the key to High School.

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

[cabbage] 'em. If they are going to chew you out cause of a game you play then so be it, it doesn't matter what you do they are going to chew you out on something so just stop hanging around with them.

jagexvote.png :thumbsup:

[url=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/joystick/vote.php][img=http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q265/mr_moocky/jagexvote.png][/url]

I used to go around saying, "Hey, I love RuneScape!" Then, I was a closet 'Scaper for about a year and a half, then I just realized having a life was so much better, and the game was getting boring.

Now, I'm back. Nobody even relates me to RuneScape anymore, so hopefully it can stay that way, but oh well, because I've got a life now. :thumbsup:

Jmclark911.png

Jmclark911.png

Its funny how young people mock eachother for their choices in online entertainment. I once caught an 8th grader playing some game where you have a pony and you brush and feed it. I watched her play it and she showed me all the upgrades and the various horses or ponies she had. She was enjoying it and clearly had put a lot of time into it.

I do tell people that I play Runescape, I also tell them that I've been ranked in the top 15k for the last few years. And for what its worth I give all ballistic hell back to anyone who tries to tell me WoW is any better.

svenne.png

#14340th to 99 magic!! w000t

• 3 weeks later...

It's really not so bad for me. Generally, I don't care what people think about me. I started playing RuneScape when I was 9 and a half. I'm nearly 15 now. All of my friends in my inner-circle know I play (and don't care) or play it themselves. Only the kids that play WoW, Xbox360, or PS3 24/7 are upset. As mentioned in an earlier post, I remind the kids that play WoW about the $15/month for a GAME. I also like tho throw in the fact that we get updates WEEKLY and they get updates every 1.5-2 years (and they have to pay extra :lol:).

I avoid talking about it in real life, because talking about RuneScape should be reserved for in-game, on the RSOF, or a fansite's forum especially since half my friends have never even been to the site.

Bottom line...

Don't start conversations about RS irl. If someone asks if you play, go ahead and tell them yeah. If they laugh/get upset, ask them what they play and call them out on that.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Tell me about it! Most people try Runescape and stop by the time they make their first fire and burn the shrimps ...

Some don't even leave the first house they're in, because they focus too much on the graphics.

The problem is that they unfairly compare it to other games and the advantages they offer, like WoW. With Wow you can get a 15-day free trial and see the entire game. Runescape on the other hand is a (browser-based!) game that has other fun things to do, but most of them are members, so 95% of the people who quit don't even get to see that. A demo is about seeing the potential the full game could have ...

When I first started playing, all my friends played a RuneScape too, but they got tired of it soon and all quit. I kept on playing, because I could see some of the advantages and decided to try members; I never missed a payment since ;) .

Now, at 18, I'm afraid to tell people I play this game, because I know they won't understand, and judge the book that is Runescape by it's lousy cover (f2p)...

I'm 13 too!

I'm 1 out of 3 kids that play Runescape in my school.

I'm the best out of them all.

Everybody knows I play Runescape, I have never gotten teased about it.

I have even gotten other kids to try it out (i'm well liked at school).

But none have stayed on it long.

One of the neighboring middle schools is closing down, and most are coming to my school so hopefully I can meet some more people IRL that play :thumbsup:

4rvq0m.jpg

^Hawt new Siggy^ Made by yours truly.

Yeah, Spanish class is where everything funny happens.

Click To see my Origami gallery!

[hide=Important drops]Important drops..... Bandos Tassets x2

Dragon medium helm x 1

Dragon pickaxe x 1 (6m)

Verac's Brassard x 1

Veracs's Helm x 2

Verac's Skirt x 1

Guthan's Helm x 2

Guthan's spear x 1

Karil's Leatherskirt x 1

Karil's C'bow x 1

Dharok's Helm x 1 (4.6m)[/hide]

Ironically, the only place I hace encountered that attitude is in the game itself. People follow me around laughing and attempting to ridicule me because I play. Anybody who has ever asked about it knows I play, although I don't talk about it if they don't ask. I made my first account when I was 12, I was one of only 2 people in my group of friends to play at that time. Eventually, 3 others joined but didn't stay too long. Today, I rank first in F2P skills, second in the rest. I am 20 now, and still play, and still nobody outside the game has ever made fun of me for it.

Now, at 18, I'm afraid to tell people I play this game, because I know they won't understand, and judge the book that is Runescape by it's lousy cover (f2p)...

while i agree with your point about people not leaving tutorial island because of the graphics, i am saddened slightly by your post.

i could somewhat understand a 13 year old being unable to tell their friends about runescape; at that age you're only starting to discover who you are, and there's a lot of insecurity there... but when an 18 year old adult says how they're "scared" to tell others about a computer game they play, that's ridiculous to me.

if GTA was unpopular, would you hide it as well? if jeans or trainers were unpopular would you refuse to go out of the house wearing them? i think you still have a lot of growing up to do, and i can't understand why you're so scared of being ridiculed for a computer game. god knows what would happen to you if you actually had something visible about you that people could mock!

while i agree with your point about people not leaving tutorial island because of the graphics, i am saddened slightly by your post.

i could somewhat understand a 13 year old being unable to tell their friends about runescape; at that age you're only starting to discover who you are, and there's a lot of insecurity there... but when an 18 year old adult says how they're "scared" to tell others about a computer game they play, that's ridiculous to me.

if GTA was unpopular, would you hide it as well? if jeans or trainers were unpopular would you refuse to go out of the house wearing them? i think you still have a lot of growing up to do, and i can't understand why you're so scared of being ridiculed for a computer game. god knows what would happen to you if you actually had something visible about you that people could mock!

A 13-year old has the advantage of it being a free, browser based game; whereas an 18-year old usually has the money to buy some more expensive games like WoW.

I'm not "scared", I'd tell them if they'd ask, but I'm not going to tell them on my own, mainly because most people have tried out Runescape ... for 2 days or so, and usually when they were about 13-15 (back in the days before HD) and in result they remember it to be much worse than it actually is (puberty makes people exaggerate a lot), especially since they didn't even try members. Therefore people remember it as a game for kids with lousy graphics and horrible gameplay. It's normal for a 13-year old to play a game for kids, but what about an 18-year old?

It's not that they would ridicule me for it; they are 18 after all and they are studying for civil engineer... (it would be sad if they did)

It's just that it would have a negative effect on the image they would have of me. It's just not a smart thing to do, from a social point of view. In human relations, you have to find a balance between being yourself and going with the flow and Runescape has a large weight on that balance.

Most people who judge it haven't got off Tutorial Island on standard detail so I can see where they're coming from. I don't tell people about it, a few close friends know I played years ago and have just assumed I've given up. I'll occasionally discuss it with one guy I know who plays every now and then but that's it really.

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

I openly start conversations about runescape just to make my friends mad.. and this is around the biggest "jocks" and "preps" in the school, when they say how runescapes stupid i say how they are too dumb to play it. gotta be proud to play man.. of course im repping rsc and not the new rs so much..

When I did play, I had two friends from school that also played it with me. So i spoke to them about it, but we kept it quiet from others at school.

I found it embarassing for people to know and i'm not afraid to admit that. Why? Because I found it embarassing and shameful that I was spending all this time on something that wasn't going to get me anywhere. It's not a great topic of interest for people who don't play it, I could of been doing things that were interesting to talk about and that I was proud of, but instead i wasted a lot of time.

More people know that I USED to play now than who know knew when I DID play. I look back at when I played and see it as one of the biggest mistakes i've made, and so do a few others I know that played it.

Currently not active on RuneScape.

dazzuhsiggyfinal.png

I happen to know that people of middle school age (my age) are, as a general crowd, terrible, terrible people. They can be so judgmental of minuscule that everyone has but some choose to hide. It is no surprise to me you get this. Which is precisely why who I am online (other than on facebook) is very very different than who I am in real life.

Stats:

Attack: 61

Strength: 64 Defense: 53

Range: 42 Prayer: 45

Magic: 55 HP: 59

Cooking :79 Woodcutting: 70

Wow dude. Isn't it funny how you find things from time to time that portray the EXACT thing you were just thinking about?

Clearly this proves that great minds think alike.

I also hide the fact that I play, and for those who know I do, I lie my [cabbage] off and say that I quit a long time ago.

Saintdane555.png

white.gif

I must admit, that's certainly something. Excuse me while I wipe my drool off the floor.

Someone said that exact thing to me the other day "Eww you still play Runescape?!?!" So I looked them in the eyes and said sternly, "Yeah, is that a concern of yours?" Right now when I'm home with Swine, I enjoy the game because I'm so bored!!!

But really, I don't care when people think aobut me playing runescape. I really don't play much anymore though. =p

By the way, I'm 17...and I play RUNESCAPE!!!

bombpie.png

PURE F2p

Just had to put my 50 cents worth in here. LOL! I find it funny how when I used to tell people my age in this game it would shock the life out of them. Made me laugh everytime. Age by the way is 37. I really don't see the problem with it. All of my real life friends know I play rs and couldn't care less. I don't know if it is my age that makes me not care what others think of me or that I am comfortable in my own skin.

I think probally it is that I've been playing for so many years and have seen it all in this game that nothing bothers me anymore. \' :lol: Anyway, nice to read others thoughts on this subject. :thumbsup:

About 4 of my friends know I play runescape, and they do too' and we're around the 15 year old age :P

But i don't tell anybody else i play it. If somebody asks me i'd say yeah i used to play it when i was abit younger and see where it goes from there..

dzuz3d.jpg

i'm proud to (still) be playing runescape, most people dont really say anything about it, except to ask why i dont play some other very popular (and much more expensive) RPG that will remain nameless :)

"Poetry is not an expression of the party line. It's that time of night, lying in bed, thinking what you really think, making the private world public, that's what the poet does." -Allen Ginsberg