Runescape areas temporarily disabled...

Red_Tanya

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

I didn't earn any xp, gp, or qp, so the rollback won't affect me :P

This is a serious issue though, and may require a rollback. The effects are amazing, and 1 person can empty the GE of all people who still have public chat on in one character. I logged on today in the GE with public on friends only, and saw the entire thing emptied by some guy who will hopefully get perm-banned.

[hide=This Will Never Happen]The other, better way (in customer service, definitely not time or money) is to copy all character data, roll that back on separate servers, and open a special forum to all players, and people can post if they lost anything, and they can check the character data before and after the rollback on the copied data server.[/hide]

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they didn't roll back after fally masecre. why would they do it now.

ps. the warning on the pvp worlds is there for a reason ;)

I'm sure most people took the alt code bug into consideration when they entered a pvp world, not to mention that it has a warning about alt code bugs! Wait not it doesn't....

[sarcasm/]

It's essentially the same as accepting the warning, knowing that you may legitimately lose connection.

They're not gonna do a rollback - they never did one for the Fally massacre so I doubt they'll do it here

77yLQy8.png

I wonder how many hours it would be: but if it's like (at the moment of writing) more than 11 hours and 10 mins I'm really, really sad......... So much for some total luck (finally had a ghoul champion challenge).. Losing that is probably more annoying than those people who lost 1-2M! (I would gladly pay 10-20m for this challenge).

Ouch, I know what you mean. Champions scrolls are my most desired items in the game after the Soul talisman.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

They've never done a rollback. Don't expect one.

You should know that Jagex did one 1 or 2 years ago and others when I wasn't playing.

And I think they should, BILLIONS (Hell ye billions) Where lost in PvP, BH or FFA Dangerous Clan War) the number of kills that have been abused...

ib7rVm.png

For me a rollback would mean losing 800k, 15 penguin points, lot of experience and a variety of items being brought and sold.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I doubt a rollback will occur now.

It's been ~12 hours since the glitch was fixed. Would it have been worth a rollback then to fix it? probably. Is it worth it now? I doubt it. That's 12 hours of legitimate working for everyone, besides what one may or may not have done during the glitch.

I can remember a rollback...

I was still f2p, i guess about level 30-40. I remember distinctly logging off, and back on to find myself about 40 mins behind time. I thought I was going crazy! I never found out how or why it happened as I was f2p and its hard to get information, dont remember reading an update about it.

Either way, there has been rollbacks in the past (I wonder why), but I do not think they will do one now.

1. Its waay too late.

2. Dangerous minigames are dangerous.

3. People who gained items + skills > People who lost items

erjypx.jpg

Just kidding ladies, you know I love you =D

Guide to Making Money with NPC Trading

Hi everyone,

Yesterday, an issue arose which involved some players games to crash when certain alt codes were used. After investigation, we established that it was triggered from an update that we made to our game engine. This resulted in a change to the way in which our system reads strings (coded text).

We would like to apologise and thank everyone who acted quickly to let us know about the problem. Due to your speedy action, we were able to run a system update to fix the issue to swiftly ensure yours, and your fellow players, safety.

From reading your feedback on the forums, we have seen a mixed response concerning the possibility of us performing a rollback to 9pm last night. After much thought, we have decided against doing this as we feel that it would not be in the best interest of the vast number of players who were unaffected by the problem.

We are sorry for the players that lost items as a result of last nights bug, however, it is not possible to return any of the items that they may have lost as it would encourage scammers and cheats to send in false claims for items that they never had. We hope that you understand why we have this policy in place.

Finally, please rest assured that we do take bug abuse very seriously and it is not something that we overlook. To preserve the awesome RuneScape environment, we are always ready to take action against players that gain an unfair advantage by exploiting faults in the game code.

Again, we apologise for the inconvenience and frustration caused and thank you for your patience and diligence. :D

Quick find code: 15-16-403-58451218

End of thread?

Anyone sayin "AH MY GAH!!! No rollback plocks I just got a dragon med drop!!" Are complete selfish fools.

So, you're saying that rolling back a normal day of play for you would not be worth eliminating the evidence of a horribly abused and incredibly devastating bug? Completely disgusting. Go play a solo RPG if you're not gonna give a [cabbage] about the community you play in.

A roll back is a roll back for everyone. You lose a day's work, people affected by the bug get fire capes, torsos, dfs, void, etc back...Yeah its clear to me that we should discourage people from playing this game as much as possible while you keep caring about yourself.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Anyone sayin "AH MY GAH!!! No rollback plocks I just got a dragon med drop!!" Are complete selfish fools.

So, you're saying that rolling back a normal day of play for you would not be worth eliminating the evidence of a horribly abused and incredibly devastating bug? Completely disgusting. Go play a solo RPG if you're not gonna give a [cabbage] about the community you play in.

A roll back is a roll back for everyone. You lose a day's work, people affected by the bug get fire capes, torsos, dfs, void, etc back...Yeah its clear to me that we should discourage people from playing this game as much as possible while you keep caring about yourself.

Anyone sayin "AH MY GAH!!! Rollback plocks I lost a lot of $$$!!" are complete selfish fools.

So, you're saying that getting back some gold or a couple of items for you would be worth eliminating a full day of skilling, combat, experience and monetary gains of HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of other players? Completely disgusting. Go play a solo RPG if you're not gonna give a [cabbage] about the community you play in.

A roll back is a roll back for everyone. You lose some virtual wealth, people not affected by the bug lose a whole day of training, perhaps some super lucky drops they have been spent months camping and hoping for...Yeah its clear to me that we should discourage people from playing this game as much as possible while you keep caring about yourself.

There, fixed that for you.

Anyone sayin "AH MY GAH!!! Rollback plocks I lost a lot of $$$!!" are complete selfish fools.

So, you're saying that getting back some gold or a couple of items for you would be worth eliminating a full day of skilling, combat, experience and monetary gains of HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of other players? Completely disgusting. Go play a solo RPG if you're not gonna give a [cabbage] about the community you play in.

A roll back is a roll back for everyone. You lose some virtual wealth, people not affected by the bug lose a whole day of training, perhaps some super lucky drops they have been spent months camping and hoping for...Yeah its clear to me that we should discourage people from playing this game as much as possible while you keep caring about yourself.

There, fixed that for you.

I lost NOTHING due to this bug, and made a good 5m off of GE merchanting and got a whip drop in the time that this bug was being abused.

Want to change your tone?

If I was running this game, and hypothetically 10,000 people were unaffected by the bug, and 100 people unfairly were affected by the bug without having any way of knowing they were in danger, I would rule in favor of the 100 customers who may have suffered unimaginable losses due to the bug. For the people who gained skill exp, gained money, etc....their gains were the same as any normal day. A day's rollback would roll their progress back one day.

But, if someone lost full void, fire cape, etc etc...ONLY because of the bug's existance, a day's rollback would give them back more than a day's worth of playing this game. The people who were unaffected experienced nothing beyond a usual day's Runescape, but the people who were affected encountered losses that were completely unthinkable, and were not part of the Runescape design.

If Tylenol knows that 100 bottles of their medicine became contaminated with a deadly agent, but they had NO record of where those bottles went, they recall ALL the medicine. They don't just leave it on the shelves and say "Well, ten million people are gonna be satisfied customers but 100 are gonna die, sounds like a fair trade. I'd rather let that small majority die then posing a minor inconvenience to anyone who would buy the untainted medicine."

I'm frankly sink of the "Good for the majority" outlook that so many people have on everything. If everything was good for the majority then we would still be widely accepting racist actions in our day to day life. We need to focus on doing things that make EVERYBODY happy, not just completely neglect small groups of people. This is the same reason that there has been 1 update in the past year that was aimed at a player of my level. Most people can't do stuff thats aimed at people with 99 combats, so we just don't get the content. Whats the point of even having levels if theres so little to get when you skill up? We should all just have level 90 characters that can't gain any experience, that way everybody can enjoy every update.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I lost NOTHING due to this bug, and made a good 5m off of GE merchanting and got a whip drop in the time that this bug was being abused.

If I was running this game, and hypothetically 10,000 people were unaffected by the bug, and 100 people unfairly were affected by the bug without having any way of knowing they were in danger, I would rule in favor of the 100 customers who may have suffered unimaginable losses due to the bug. For the people who gained skill exp, gained money, etc....their gains were the same as any normal day. A day's rollback would roll their progress back one day.

But, if someone lost full void, fire cape, etc etc...ONLY because of the bug's existance, a day's rollback would give them back more than a day's worth of playing this game. The people who were unaffected experienced nothing beyond a usual day's Runescape, but the people who were affected encountered losses that were completely unthinkable, and were not part of the Runescape design.

If Tylenol knows that 100 bottles of their medicine became contaminated with a deadly agent, but they had NO record of where those bottles went, they recall ALL the medicine. They don't just leave it on the shelves and say "Well, ten million people are gonna be satisfied customers but 100 are gonna die, sounds like a fair trade. I'd rather let that small majority die then posing a minor inconvenience to anyone who would buy the untainted medicine."

I'm frankly sink of the "Good for the majority" outlook that so many people have on everything. If everything was good for the majority then we would still be widely accepting racist actions in our day to day life. We need to focus on doing things that make EVERYBODY happy, not just completely neglect small groups of people. This is the same reason that there has been 1 update in the past year that was aimed at a player of my level. Most people can't do stuff thats aimed at people with 99 combats, so we just don't get the content. Whats the point of even having levels if theres so little to get when you skill up? We should all just have level 90 characters that can't gain any experience, that way everybody can enjoy every update.

Your analogy is miserable and completely irrelevant to the discussion. The damage has already been done, whereas a recall is designed to prevent further damage.

I won't lie, I both cringed and laughed when you decided to bring racism into the discussion- as if a few people losing a few pixels was anything comparable.

Do you want a cookie now?

If I was running this game, and hypothetically 10,000 people were unaffected by the bug, and 100 people unfairly were affected by the bug without having any way of knowing they were in danger, I would rule in favor of the 100 customers who may have suffered unimaginable losses due to the bug. For the people who gained skill exp, gained money, etc....their gains were the same as any normal day.

How about a rare drop then, something like a Champions Scroll or a Godsword Hilt? And I would be very pissed off if I had gotten a Fire Cape and it would dissapear because of a rollback.

You would choose for the 100 people instead of the 10.000 others? You should never create an MMORPG.

If Tylenol knows that 100 bottles of their medicine became contaminated with a deadly agent, but they had NO record of where those bottles went, they recall ALL the medicine. They don't just leave it on the shelves and say "Well, ten million people are gonna be satisfied customers but 100 are gonna die, sounds like a fair trade. I'd rather let that small majority die then posing a minor inconvenience to anyone who would buy the untainted medicine.

You can not compare deaths of REAL people by the hands of your own company, with the loss of pixels by a bug in a game.

I'm frankly sink of the "Good for the majority" outlook that so many people have on everything. If everything was good for the majority then we would still be widely accepting racist actions in our day to day life. We need to focus on doing things that make EVERYBODY happy

Good for the majority keeps everything going.

Something that makes everybody happy in a game that's being played by so many people worldwide, is just not possible.

800th post BTW \'

priest_wiz.png

Funny how you didn't even seem to notice that the "tone" I used was nothing but a copy of your original post... :roll:

Funny how you realized that you couldn't put me down as a selfish person, so instead are now trying to make your argument about a completely irrelevant contradiction.

Also, I am not saying that, right now, there SHOULD be a rollback. But, I don't understand why anyone would HAVE BEEN completely opposed to the idea in general. There's just not been any good anti-rollback arguments. They've all been extremely self centered and inconsiderate.

Anything that somebody gained under this update was under their control and a normal day's gain. Anything that people lost because of this bug was no fault of their own and they have been victimized by poor game design. Not to mention, people who may have abused te bug and gotten away with it, gaining unfair gains. I think that with glitches this bad the most fair and reasonable thing to do is just roll everybody back to where they started before the glitch happened. It's obviously too late to do it now, in this particular situation, but what I was arguing against was the attitude people have like "omg no I just got ____ good drop, a roll back would def be stupid!!!" thus meaning there would NEVER be grounds for a rollback, because they wouldn't be able to initiate it immediately, and there are always going to be more people who didnt abuse/get harmed than there are innocent bystanders.

If you say that this situation DIDNT call for a rollback, then what situation does? My problem with what I have seen is just that people seem to be saying that it would never be appropriate to roll back the game, which seems really self centered...

Also, theres no reason why my real world analogies are ridiculous. You say its pixels in a game, but your argument would only hold true if they were entirely self existant. We own our pixels, we identify with our avatar, and there is a REAL PERSON on the other side of that monitor. These are real people who care about a hobby, and just because its a virtual game doesn't make it any less devastating when your posessions are destroyed. You own your virtual items just as much as you own your real life items. You say they are worthless, but they are not. They are worthless IN REAL LIFE, but guess what...real life items are worthless in runescape as well.

When a small group of people suffer an injustice such as this, it is the responsibility of the minority to say "Since you lost something beyond your control, and we can now control the situation, it would only be fair for us to take a hit so we can all be put back to where we were before the injustice happened."

Myweponsgood.gif

I believe bugs of this magnitude deserve rollbacks within the first 5 hours. Anymore and its too late.

Problem with that is if it happens at 3am and the people who make such decisions are probably asleep. I believe it really is down to the top dogs to make such decisions about rollbacks.

I personally would rather lose a firecape if I just won one. I wouldnt mind losing 3rd age in a clue. I wouldnt mind alot of things. I rather people who had lost items unfairly got them back. Its one thing for me to get lucky or whatever gaining an item. Its another for others to be losing items unfairly. I rather they had their items back than getting mine tbh.

This effected a huge magnitude of players so I feel its justified. It has to be a quick decision though and not leave it too late.

Also.. If the staff on duty cannot make such decisions involving rollbacks then perhaps disable the pk worlds etc until they fix it. Any loss at that point would be more acceptable plus bannable. (Such as godwards etc.) If your abusing it their I bet its sure as hell detectable. I personally would be happy losing my items if I knew the person who bugged me was banned for it.

I believe bugs of this magnitude deserve rollbacks within the first 5 hours. Anymore and its too late.

Problem with that is if it happens at 3am and the people who make such decisions are probably asleep. I believe it really is down to the top dogs to make such decisions about rollbacks.

I personally would rather lose a firecape if I just won one. I wouldnt mind losing 3rd age in a clue. I wouldnt mind alot of things. I rather people who had lost items unfairly got them back. Its one thing for me to get lucky or whatever gaining an item. Its another for others to be losing items unfairly. I rather they had their items back than getting mine tbh.

It is good to know that somebody else shares my opinion, and I think you stated it a little more precisely than I have. :)

I think the main thing in question here is the classic dispute over the definition of justice. I like to think that justice is simply a way of making sure that things are kept fair. If a large group of people suffer due to things that were beyond their control, I think that it is only fair for the unaffected group to take a hit in return if it means they can set right what went wrong.

Myweponsgood.gif